What's new

Being on Course

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Here's something I always hated and found unnecessary:

All this sturm und drang over being late. Yes, if you are going to class anywhere, it's good to be on time. And you shouldn't disrupt things. But, for god's sake, in CofS, they treat everyone like a damn kid.

Being late gets the person sent to ethics.

This doesn't happen in night school anywhere else. And you know what? Attendance in night school is just as good. People show up, and do so mostly on time 'cuz they know they're paying for the course. They don't hve to be babysat.

I even had to sign a promissory note one time pledging not to be late.

Jesus, the freaking world isn't gonna end just because someone shows up at 7:01...

Bea Kiddo

Crusader
Yeah but the big boss wrote a green on white that says if the sup doesn't do something effective about you being late, he can be Comm Eved and declared for it.

Doesn't that suck for them too?:eek:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
As an auditor, Fluffy, would you show up late to a session?

That was part of the discipline of it all--a sup tolerating sloppy study habits was encouraging sloppy auditing discipline.

Or something.

Paul

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Well, actually, I was talking about being late to course, though I will answer your question.

I maintain that the endless crap with students where one actually ends up scared all the time about being late is unneeded and I think that looking at night schools (college, etc) where the people are just as on time as they ever were in any Scn academy, proves my point.

Their attendance is JUST AS GOOD. I've taken many night courses, some college accredited, some for other things. People are generally on time. Like over 90%. People show up.

And nobody has to be babysat.

No, I wouldn't be late to a session, but neither would a psychologist and they get NO Hubbardite conditioning treating them like a naughty imbecilic 4 year old.

So it's obviously not needed.

One can encourage punctuality and good attendance and reliability without all this nonsense.

Non Scn'ists in their courses and their practices do just as well without any of the hassle.

barky

Patron with Honors
Especially because all the courses are run at one's own pace (i.e. everyone doesn't have to show up for a specific lecture time). You study on your own, twin up when you need to, and that's it. It's not like attending a briefing that starts promptly at 7 or something ...

In those types of situations, I can see stressing the importance of being on time, but not for an "at your own pace" course ...

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Personally I bow deeply in gratitude to every course sup and auditor who demanded both of themselves and their students and pc's the ability to be on time.

The power of being able to place your body in the exact right space at the exact right time gives you truth in and of action.

It is a life holographic demonstration of delivering what you promised to yourself and others.

It obviously is vital in making your postulates work.

It is also vital to the ability to have.

A vital part of holographic duplication.

A vital part of permeation.

A vital part of being here now.

A vital part of making your creations arrive in the physical universe!

Yadda! yadda! :) :)

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, actually, I was talking about being late to course, though I will answer your question.

I maintain that the endless crap with students where one actually ends up scared all the time about being late is unneeded and I think that looking at night schools (college, etc) where the people are just as on time as they ever were in any Scn academy, proves my point.

Their attendance is JUST AS GOOD. I've taken many night courses, some college accredited, some for other things. People are generally on time. Like over 90%. People show up.

And nobody has to be babysat.

No, I wouldn't be late to a session, but neither would a psychologist and they get NO Hubbardite conditioning treating them like a naughty imbecilic 4 year old.

So it's obviously not needed.

One can encourage punctuality and good attendance and reliability without all this nonsense.

Non Scn'ists in their courses and their practices do just as well without any of the hassle.

Oh! duh! :duh: :duh:

Lateness is a physical manifestation.

A good teacher or sup would pick up the physical manifestation and ask "what happened?'

Done with intent, the student will come up with why they are late, with VGIs.

A good sup can crack a case with the ability to pick up these types of physical manifestations.

Alan

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I certainly agree with that, Alan.

I think that where I'm coming from is it seems to be overkill in courserooms and academies. I don't think there's anything wrong with requiring punctuality or trying to figure out what happened or what's happening with those who are tardy, particularly when it's happening more than once with the same person. I just think that staff seem to dramatize and be overly draconian about it.

Requiring someone to be on time and addressing it when he's not aren't innately unfair things, but there's just so much punitive aspects and dramatization by staff when enforcing and implementing such principles.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor

I think that where I'm coming from is it seems to be overkill in courserooms and academies. I don't think there's anything wrong with requiring punctuality or trying to figure out what happened or what's happening with those who are tardy, particularly when it's happening more than once with the same person. I just think that staff seem to dramatize and be overly draconian about it.

Requiring someone to be on time and addressing it when he's not aren't innately unfair things, but there's just so much punitive aspects and dramatization by staff when enforcing and implementing such principles.

There are a number of 'points' to the petty tyrant type authoritarianism that go *beyond* the value of 'discipline'.

For example, a totalitarian system *always* wants its targets in a positon of 'wrong' (or 'overts) and 'guilt', because it makes them more compliant, without requiring actual whips.

Plus, it reinforces the 'authority' of not only the auditor/senior, but the 'Church' itself over the sucker's 'self-determinism'.

It's a 'kow tow'.

Imagine a PC who sneered and said: 'You're not the boss of me!'

:)

Zinj

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron

You are quite right fluffy! :)

Lot of mini-hitlers get their kicks out of their positions of power and domination.

In case no-ones noticed Scio is an abuse based cult. Which has continued to get more and more abusive over the years.

Abusers are fantastic at making the unimportant important and the important unimportant.:melodramatic: :melodramatic: :melodramatic:

EeeeeeeeeeeeK!

Alan

Romuva

Patron Meritorious

Maybe ,it's nobodie's business why a person is late or tardy.Maybe it's
a matter of the person's privacy.Just make a rule that you are only
allowed to be late so many times and that is the end of it.Some teachers
will discuss it,some don't.To try and understand.

It's not anybodie's business to intrude on somebodie's privacy.

After all,we were all involved with COS that demanded we divulge our
privacy but didn't allow us to question the privacy of LRH and his
intentions?

and were not supposed to question or criticize the assembly line of disciples of Hubbard?

so basically according to somebodies theory we are supposed to follow and not question
other beings in this universe?

wow,sounds like bullshit to me...

Last edited:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Maybe ,it's nobodie's business why a person is late or tardy.Maybe it's
a matter of the person's privacy.Just make a rule that you are only
allowed to be late so many times and that is the end of it.Some teachers
will discuss it,some don't.To try and understand.

It's not anybodie's business to intrude on somebodie's privacy.

After all,we were all involved with COS that demanded we divulge our
privacy but didn't allow us to question the privacy of LRH and his
intentions?

I looked everwhere I could in the 'Tech Dictionary', but, couldn't find a definition for 'privacy'.

Maybe the 'Tech Dictionary' is 'dinky' :)

Zinj