ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Big Blue & bright colors from the 70s

Discussion in 'David Miscavige and Current Management' started by TheOriginalBigBlue, Apr 14, 2015.

1. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

The Main Building was constructed massively. But as we now know buildings must be designed to move with earthquakes in a way that neutralized and distributes the stress and if it is ridged then it will break. Some of the later buildings may have benefited from developments in engineering but I have to think that the Main Building and Lebanon Hall are vulnerable and have accumulated weaknesses after several large earthquakes.

Personally, I suspect the hospital people knew this when they sold it and they probably were sincerely surprised when they saw it being re-purposed.

2. TheOriginalBigBlue

Thank you Little David. I know it takes time to put this together and with everyone's contributions we are building up a very nice reference.

Clearly they over planted the Main Building entrance but it looked great. One thing that strikes me with these hospital period images is how natural and people friendly everything is. Doors are open and available for use, windows are letting light in and people can see in or out, and they hadn't added some of the later construction or utility buildings that disrupted the architects original concept. I still don't see the fountain being used as a fountain though.

3. TheOriginalBigBlue

That is consistent with my understanding. But the dark blue stripe was painted over in the 90s, correct? So either LRH would have ordered it removed before his death many years earlier or someone else made a judgement call. If LRH ordered it then I suspect they would not have waited so long.

It would be nice to find some pictures of the interior bright colors and graphics. As you recall, this thread started with a question about how this happened so much for so long and then turned out so horribly wrong?

The impression I have from postings is that the re-painting of these was not thought of very well either but I could be mistaken. I have not seen any good pictures of the new color scheme.

4. TheOriginalBigBlue

Is Heber still missing?

5. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Yes. :(

He was seen a couple of years ago, but still trapped on some RPF someplace.

6. TheOriginalBigBlue

I remember hearing George Gershwin died there. I'm sure there must be an impressive list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Gershwin

7. TheOriginalBigBlue

I do believe the child care (or lack of) stories are becoming well known. It was just a matter of time.

8. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

Vent crews were a tight bunch. (pun intended)

9. In present time

In present time Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes, this is the colour I remember.
    I wonder when it was repainted?

10. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Gold Meritorious Patron

That would be in the SHSBC courserooms on the second floor of ASHO then. It still had the glass between the rooms of the nursery, separating the theory and practical sections of the course. It was still there because the place was so solidly built that it was impossible to do any but superficial renovations. Not sure where the delivery room was, though.

AS for the colours. As I heard it, the original LRH advices for the colours were for graphics to be painted in PALE pastels. The idea was from a certain interior designer at the time. It was indeed to de-hospitalize it. And apparently the guy who did the paint order screwed up royally and ordered paint way too dark, and got RPF'd for it. An estates person told me this. The story rings true for me.

As we were repainting ASHO about 1990, we put a layer of sealer/under coat on the 4th floor hallway over the original graphics. A bit of the colour showed through. In the few hours before the new colour was applied, many people came up the stairs and exclaimed how beautiful it looked with just the hint of colours showing through......graphics in pale pastels. And it really did.

11. In present time

I was told it was based on an ancient cross and the 8 points represented the 8 dynamics. Later I discovered that their were some cool upper dynamics, but I forget why they didn't rate enough to get their own prong. I suppose a cross that looks like an octopus would have been a little too truthful a depiction.

12. In present time

Yes, for the first time ever that building makes sense to me.
    It is a logical design for a hospital and it doesn't look at all intimidating.

Also, I have learned on this thread that the most photographed entrance is not the entrance we used.
    This has been confusing me for years. Forever asking myself why I would not remember those
    smothering arms.

13. Intentionally Blank

Intentionally Blank Scientology Widow

Pretty sure there is no sign possible that could overcome the straight down and vertical negative PR effect.

14. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

I don't understand why they buy all these buildings and equip 'em with all this glitzy pseudo-bling anyway.

Wouldn't tents be so much more practical?

15. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

[​IMG]

:buzzin:

Hallelujah brother! Come on in and empty your wallet!

:buzzin:

16. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

Exactly! And since tents don't have real toilets, they don't need real toilet paper either, so the cult could save gazillions of bucks on that alone.

Oh wait, I've heard they already do that....

17. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

To me it looks like somebody taking a leak...

18. TheOriginalBigBlue

So were the interior colors and graphics from the 70s and the exterior blue designed by different people?

19. TheOriginalBigBlue

And the AOLA building WAS apparently designed with two colors. There was a large darker blue stripe that wrapped around it. So what was the story with that? Why would LRH approve just that one stripe only to have it painted over the next time? These things don't just happen. I can't imagine LRH would approve all that light blue and then somehow one big dark blue stripe gets tossed in, "out of the blue".[​IMG]

20. TheOriginalBigBlue

If there was asbestos wrap around the duct seams everyone who worked on them should ask their doctor about requesting a NIOSH B-Reader to review their X-rays. This is someone who is specifically trained and certified to look for early signs of illness due to asbestos exposure. Regular film readers can miss it.

Any discussion of the Complex if carried on long enough always ends up in the tunnels. Except for the Publications Building, a person can live in there and get from one place to the next 3-4 different ways without ever stepping outside.

The morgue and tunnels clearly deserve their very own thread.

A sump pump is a pump that sits in a cement well and when water reaches a certain point it turns on and pumps into a drain inlet that is on a higher level. Buildings that have a roof drainage system that goes down the interior of the building to the basement have these. Everything is right in the world until you discover the sump pump quietly stopped working during a downpour.

I have also heard that the hospital did conduct research on dogs in the Research Building behind AOLA. This became the CMO Building circa 81.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015