ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Big Blue & bright colors from the 70s

Discussion in 'David Miscavige and Current Management' started by TheOriginalBigBlue, Apr 14, 2015.

1. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

Old sign - new sign

[​IMG]

2. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

The first pic I personally took in 2004, my last year in LA. I didn't take that second pic, but I labelled it 2009. Did that ugly framework and shroud really sit up there like that for 5 years or more?

shroud2004.jpg shroud2009.jpg

Paul

3. HelluvaHoax!

HelluvaHoax! Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Old sign. . .

New sign. . .

Newest sign. . .

[​IMG]

(Hey, just validatin' whose
    postulates are the most at "cause")

4. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

Or, as some wit said in Tony's blog,

HBO - Bring Order!

5. MissWog

MissWog Silver Meritorious Patron

According to Curbed LA they were up for many many years!

6. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Even if he wanted to be there the negative PR is unrecoverable. Leave a mystery that huge and people will fill the gaps in on their own, etc. etc.

7. TheOriginalBigBlue

Very informative! So ASHO's interior was repainted circa 1990. That is a solid 10 years later. I was under the impression that it was done sooner. Was the original guy that designed the colors and graphics RPFed for specifying the colors too dark or was it someone down the purchasing line who botched the order?

ASHO was only the 2nd org to get painted so why did they keep using the wrong colors on AOLA and other places for so long if it was clearly against LRH's orders to use pastels?

8. TheOriginalBigBlue

It is the equivalent of using the Service Entrance at the Fort Harrison as the Main entry. The saga continues.......

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. TheOriginalBigBlue

The flash point for the Lutheran split from the Catholic Church was their selling of indulgences to fund renovating the Sistine Chapel.

http://protestantreformationnhd.weebly.com/sale-of-indulgences.html

The Gutenberg printing press was being used as the first quick print franchise to mass produce indulgences all over Europe. Martin Luther recognized the power of the press and turned them toward printing material which facilitated the reformation.

The Gutenberg press made possible the cross indexing of information and technology from diverse fields of study which increased technological advancements exponentially. This was in effect the beginnings of the industrial age and then the information age and the internet.

Now the internet is being used to disseminate material which will lead to a reformation of Scientology.

10. TheOriginalBigBlue

Thank you for providing the side-by-side.

11. TheOriginalBigBlue

The sign was originally ordered to be there by LRH but it is under new management now. Anything is possible.

12. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

The tunnels were a salvation for a lot of the staff.

Me included.

A way to slip out of the org and to your room to get some sleep without execs/missionaires/whoever stopping you from leaving the org.

13. TheOriginalBigBlue

[h=2][​IMG] Re: Various pics of Scientology in the 80s and 90s, unpublished, until now...[/h]
    AOLA 1981 (or there about) LRH Comm Len Adams Doris (?) In doorway had a surprise birthday party for Chaplin Roberta Fields (75?). Renne Duzak is looking in doorway 2nd picture with Dan Woodruff on right. Bottom right on bottom right is Denise Mulkey.[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...npublished-until-now/page33&highlight=chaplin

Thread #324
    The above post by Cece is the only example I could find of the original bright interior color scheme but you can see the yellow wall on the left and the darker orange to the right of the door. Clearly these do not qualify as "pastel". It says the picture was from AOLA 1981.

As an aside; I was around there enough times to be familiar with what was happening overall during this period and I did know Roberta Fields and visa versa. I understand she passed away and I just wanted to say that she was one of the kindest ladies I ever met.

14. TheOriginalBigBlue

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  15. eldritch cuckoo

eldritch cuckoo brainslugged reptilian

[​IMG]

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! :biggrin:

And these are just taken from this week's "Thursday Funnies" from Mike Rinder's blog! :blink: :rubeyes: :screwy: :hysterical:

"What has been seen...!"

[​IMG]

... Ever! :nervous:

Attached Files:

16. eldritch cuckoo

Hey, OriginalBigBlue, you need a face (or at least a facade)! :)

Feel free to pick one of these. :)

(The broken logo pics are taken from a graphic on Angry Gay Pope's website.)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  17. TheOriginalBigBlue

In the parlance we call this a "nudge".

Thank you for the suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  18. eldritch cuckoo

LOL... not really. Okay, maybe?? Many people here have no "avi", although I would prefer if they had one, because with newbies coming in quickly for some time now, and several similar sounding nicknames "SP-something" (and an equally toxic attitude towards Co$... LOL), I sometimes find it difficult to discern between all these dudes, if there's no pic... :p :giggle: I was just thinking since you seem to have a favorite "theme" (or obsession?), and there are some nice pictures available... go figure. :p

19. TheOriginalBigBlue

I completely got it. It finally occurred to me that an Avatar serves a very important purpose to facilitating thread navigation and not having one was creating an inconvenience.

Yes, the theme, or obsession as it were is deliberate. I am intrigued with the complete lack of logic when it came to the Complex. Not just in the past but consistently.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  20. TheOriginalBigBlue

You mentioned that Big Blue was sandblasted. 87% of homes built before 1940 contain lead based paint. Lead content was reduced in paint in 1950 and in 1978 but Cedars was built in 1930. There is a strong likely hood that the paint used by the hospital for both interior and exterior was a high level lead based paint. I have been told by a testing lab that the regulatory limit for paint is 5000 ppm. Tests that I have had done on latex paint as recent as 1972 were between 11,000 to 24,000 ppm. Regulatory levels for soil are 50 ppm. Over that and it must be handled as haz waste. Regulatory levels for dust vary depending on where it is. I think for an occupied unit, window sills are around 2 ppm.

It would be very interesting to see an environmental lead survey of the fallout zone around Big Blue. If the RPF performed this work in the typical "Make it go right" modus operandi without proper dust containment then there could be a distinctive pattern consistent with wind directionality and concentration levels leading back to the complex. Proving a source from dust sampling is difficult because there are other sources, such as the fact that L.A. has a high level of background contamination due to decades of leaded gasoline use. But those could probably be distinguished from the sandblasting project if the fallout pattern was distinctive and a finer analysis of the particulates could clearly confirm Cedar's paint.

This could be grounds for a class action lawsuit by the city and surrounding community. If such a judgement was won or even settled against the Church, this might serve as a strong precedent for other communities where illegal lead abatement projects might have been conducted. The many bureaucracies and lawyers involved with lead paint issues are not very responsive for little stuff but this could be just the kind of thing to get the attention of the larger environmental legal firms and agencies. They are geared towards large commercial and industrial violations.

Just for the record, I am not an attorney and I am not a professional in the field of environmental engineering or hazardous material handling or abatement. I am only expressing my personal opinion.

http://www2.epa.gov/lead/documents-and-outreach-materials

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/fa/hs/leadpaint.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead-based_paint_in_the_United_States