ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Bob Adams - Church of Scientology International Vice-President -- April 2014

Discussion in 'David Miscavige and Current Management' started by JBWriter, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Since Bob Adams' name has come up on other threads/posts here @ ESMB, I did a simple Google search to try and learn if he is still an active member of Co$.

Here's a link that popped up near the top of Google's simple search results page - it provides a short, but informative, historical sketch: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~./dst/Stop-Narconon/Bob-Adams/index.html

The very short video clip below was filmed in September 2012 in/near Sandy Springs, GA. (A Zoning Board meeting re: Narconon.)
    Bob Adams introduces himself as, "...Vice-President of the Church of Scientology International".
    Does this video prove Bob Adams is Vice-President of CSI in 2014? Nope; but then I only did a simple Google search.

[video=youtube;co5B2sXW7-w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5B2sXW7-w[/video]

Away from Google, there are quite a few posts here @ ESMB that identify Bob Adams as being an executive staff member of Co$; some mention his specific assigned department as OSA, either working in the PR or Legal section therein.
    I've read most of the posts but can't seem to find any that link directly to an original document that says definitively: Bob Adams = OSA.
    YMMV...and I do encourage others here to search and find more/more current info on this individual so we'll all be better informed.:yes:

There is one 'leaked' email purportedly sent by Bob Adams prior to his visit to the Melbourne, Australia org on/near November 28, 2009.
    The email is 'signed': "Much Love, Bob Adams, Vice President, Church of Scientology International".
    It can be found at this ESMB post: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...t-coming-to-Oz&p=335255&viewfull=1#post335255

After reading quite a bit about the management structure of Co$, it doesn't seem as if the title of VP is given to just anyone.
    Further, given the Co$ policy NOT to permit on-camera interviews with their spokesreps in this post-Tommy Davis world,
    having Bob Adams appear at a public meeting on behalf of Narconon with cameras rolling, identifying himself as VP of CSI,
    implies he has the confidence & full support of upper-echelon Co$ management.

So.

If anyone now or in future obtains current info on Bob Adams and his work for and/or on behalf of Co$/CSI, this thread is a good place to post it.

JB

(I'll pull-up other threads with "Bob Adams" in the title and add them in a few minutes.)

2. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Maybe if anyone here happens to be a friend of Bob they could just phone him and ask? :coolwink:

3. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

4. Type4_PTS

This is taken off a CoS website as of a few minutes ago.

Here's the link: (WARNING: THIS IS AN OFFICIAL COS WEBSITE!)
    http://www.scientologynews.org/contact

My understanding is that the "Human Rights" organizations he is a spokesman for fall under OSA.

Is that correct?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Leland

Leland Crusader

Companies like to hire X-Pro ball players. They kind of add a macho panache to their corporate and public image. So as usual Scientology copies the "wog" world.

You figure a pro ball career ends around age 35 or so. ( if you don't get injured to bad.) So what are they going to do with the rest of their lives?

6. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Here's the link to Dana Goodyear's January 14, 2008 article in The New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/01/14/080114fa_fact_goodyear?currentPage=all

"Letter from California: Chateau Scientology - Inside the Church's Celebrity Centre"

Excerpt:

So...

Bob Adams was VP of CSI in 2008, even before his Melbourne, Australia trip in/around November 2009.

During 2008 & 2009, Co$ actually tasked people with serving as their official media spokesreps (Mike Rinder - Tommy Davis) so I wonder why Bob Adams served as a point-of-contact* for this article? (Perhaps because it was mostly about the building itself?)

(*Also quoted in the article is Hilary Royce, Community Affairs Officer for CC Int'l., Greg LaClaire and Art Medeiros, building manager.)

JB

7. Type4_PTS

Here is a thread from 2008 entitled:
    Bob Adams, Vice President of CofS Int, coming to Oz

In a letter to scientologists posted in the OP of that thread Bob says:

8. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Thanks, Type4_PTS! :thumbsup:

Okay, Ex-scientologists, is "spokesperson" higher or lower than "Vice-President of CSI" in the management pecking order?
    Or is it possible that "spokesperson" for certain Co$ front groups is simply an additional duty for the VP of CSI?

JB

9. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Yes, I saw that Type4_PTS, but I wasn't sure if it meant that Bob Adams was inviting people to come attend the "OSA International briefing" along with him or if he was giving the "OSA International briefing".
    The email isn't signed: Bob Adams, VP of CSI and OSA Int'l. Briefer, so the OSA connection isn't definitively nailed down in this 2009 email.
    It's close, though. :)

JB

10. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

Vice President and Spokesperson would be the equivalent in the Scientology pecking order. OSA is department 21 of the Executive Division there is a PR Section within OSA. The Vice President would be the equivalent of spokesperson/ PR .

Their job is to gain acceptance of Scientology by speaking highly of it in the public arena. Spokeshole and VP are one in the same.

11. Type4_PTS

I do believe that (as Freethinker said) that the spokesperson would be posted in OSA.

It's a PR function which is handled by that department. :yes:

12. Infinite

Infinite Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

Yep - Division 6. Its possible that Bob Adams is just the front man and may not be fully aware of the various Network Orders which underpin the wider role of OSA. Not many Scientologists are aware of the hidden-data line, although in Bob's case he has most likely come across . . .

13. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Thanks, Infinite, for providing your excellent insight :thumbsup: and, too, for the written policy.:ohmy:

Here, then, as pared down from the complete policy, are the only available response options a Co$ spokesrep, such as Bob Adams, is authorized to use when dealing with reporters/journalists:

1. Answering non loaded questions
    Purpose: To train a PRO to answer such questions with confidence and
    simplicity, as are often asked by reporters.
    2. No Answer
    Purpose: To train a PRO to give a 'no answer' to questions he has no
    wish to answer directly.
    3. Non sequitur events
    Purpose: To enable a PRO to practice getting his "message" across and
    tag it on to any current event.
    4. Handling a suppressive T.V. interviewer
    Purpose: To train a PRO to get his message across in spite of the
    'interviewer', in the few short minutes usually available on television.
    This is so that .... million people have no doubts after the programme
    what the Scientologist stands for and what he is against
    5. Handling an SP
    a) By overwhelm
    Purpose: To train a PRO to be able to establish Ethics presence over an
    SP reporter if the occasion arises, by such things as shouting, banging,
    pointing, swearing. To do this completely causatively until the poor
    reporter is 'caved in'.
    b) By being knowingly covertly hostile
    Purpose: To train the PRO to handle an SP reporter by word alone without
    the use of force as in (a). He uses the word as a rapier and plunges it
    in at the reporter, so that the reporter introverts and drops the
    question.
    c) By stalling for time
    Purpose: To train a PRO to maintain his confront and composure when
    given some SP sensational news by a reporter, of which he has no prior
    knowledge.
    d) By handling the reporter in front of you (verbal Karate)
    Purpose: To train a PRO to handle the reporter in front of him, with
    judgement in present time.

What I see is how, when dealing with a reporter/journalist, a Co$ spokesperson may only:
    (1) bluff, (2) avoid, (3) evade, (4) ignore, (5a) physically intimidate, (5b) verbally abuse, (5c) feign ignorance, and (5d) bicker.

But I don't see anything about how a Co$ spokesperson is supposed to tell the truth.
    Or how to best present factual information.
    Or which 'tech' should be used to befriend a reporter/journalist.
    Or how to 'handle' a non-SP reporter/journalist. (<---Although I suppose there is no such thing in the Co$ literature.)

Bob Adams is a spokesperson for Co$/Co$-related groups, and the policy for Co$ spokespeople doesn't authorize telling the truth to reporters/journalists, so... __________? <----YMMV.

JB

14. cakemaker

cakemaker Patron Meritorious

On the org board, the posts of 'President or 'Vice President' are mostly PR posts and are not involved in planning or management. The real authority and power resides with RTC reps, CMO messengers and WDC (although I don't believe WDC is functional anymore). I'm also not sure how active the Flag Rep network is. Maybe someone can fill in the current state of management lines.

15. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

Really? Maybe that's why they failed to handle Anderson Cooper - he wasn't wearing his hat as an SP.

Well truth in Scientology is an "acceptable truth" (shore story), so that would be #1 - non- loaded questions. The policy that Hubbard espouses regarding (all) reporters is this: their editors give them the story, and they just go looking for "facts" to flesh out the editor's canned story, so it follows, there is no good reason to try and establish ARC with what amounts to a rattlesnake that is ready to strike.

I was talking with the head of the Hollywood Literacy project once and asked a similar question about the press, and she said "a win is getting a reporter to print nothing - they never print a good story" ( it is a Scio based tutoring business that was across the street from the HGB)

That makes me angry, really angry!!!

Mimsey

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  16. JBWriter

JBWriter Happy Sapien

Thanks, Cakemaker, for providing a bit more guidance on this topic. :thumbsup:

The thing is, when someone like Bob Adams addresses a group of non-scientologists (as he did in the video in Post #1 of this thread) and he tells them he is the "Vice President" of CSI, the people in the group already have a working definition/understanding of what a vice-president is, so they don't ask for the Co$-approved definition of what a vice-president is, does, or where that title is positioned within the Co$ managerial infrastructure.

And when Bob Adams doesn't volunteer the Co$-approved definition for "Vice President" to a group of non-scientologists,
    he is relying upon the group's 'ignorance'.
    That's
    objectionable to all fair-minded, decent people.

But is Bob Adams authorized to provide non-scientologists with the Co$-approved definition of any title/job?
    No, I don't think he, or any other Co$ spokesperson, is.
    Certainly not if he's following the policy Infinite kindly posted earlier.

"John Johnson, VP General Motors" is understandable. John is a big shot.
    "John Johnson, VP Cadillac Division, General Motors" is understandable. John is a semi-big shot.
    "John Johnson, VP General Motors" is dishonest if John is actually only VP of Cadillac Division, not all of General Motors.

"Bob Adams, VP of CSI" is a dishonest representation to 99.9% of the public-at-large who read/hear it.
    It would be far less dishonest if it was written/stated:
    "Bob Adams, VP OSA Division 6, PR Dept., CSI" <---If that's truly his position; I'm just using it to better illustrate the point.

"Bob Adams, Ex-scientologist, Newest ESMB member" is, of course, a future option, too. :rock:

JB

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  17. Nicole

Nicole Silver Meritorious Patron

Departments of OSA (DSA) are:

- Investigation
    - public relations
    - legal

An official paper from the Munich Org about the "work" of DSA/OSA... http://www.ingo-heinemann.de/DSA-Selbstdarstellung-22.02.1987.pdf (Not a Scilon link :wink2:)

18. Rene Descartes

Rene Descartes Gold Meritorious Patron

(Bob Adams, a former N.F.L. tight end who is the vice-president of the Church of Scientology International, said that the R.P.F.—which is sometimes characterized by critics as a punishment for Church staff members who get out of line—is a volunteer program for self-improvement. “They get frequent breaks, eight hours of sleep, and three healthy meals,” he said. “The principal part is auditing, but the physical activity is very extrovertive for the individual and is found to be very therapeutic in itself.” Besides, he said, the R.P.F. furnished only a portion of the labor for Celebrity Centre and worked alongside professional contractors.)

BULLSHIT!!!

Rd00

19. Udarnik

Udarnik Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes. This is like me (a Ph.D.) representing myself as "Doctor Udarnik" in a medical setting. It is my right to be addressed as "Doctor" if I'm teaching in a University setting. Elsewhere, I avoid the honorific because of the confusion it would cause in my line of work.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  20. Leland

Leland Crusader

I think you are missing the point JB is making. I know what you are saying, my sister is a Phd. But Scientology takes real world words like Church, Minister, confessional, for example , that people have an understanding of, but in Scientology they mean something entirely different. They fool people.