What's new

Canberra 27.03.10 - post-game

supafreak

Patron Meritorious
Cross-posted from WWP.

Canberra saw its last protest in April 2008, so we thought it was high time to get the ball rolling again. We had a turnout of ten people, locals and people from interstate, exes, Anons and assorted non-Anon critics. We handed out all our flyers, got 110 signatures in favour of a Senate inquiry into Scientology abuses, had great speeches from the exes, and had a lot of positive interactions with the public!

Speaking of the petitions, once the public knew that we were protesting against Scientology, they were clamouring to sign our petition and would pass the clipboards to their friends to sign!

An OSAbot took photos of us from across the road, but she only had a crummy point-and-click camera, so I'm sure her photos will be blurry. A couple of us followed her when she eventually walked away, and she went into the Pancake Parlour, which is owned by Scilons.

Oh, and the police were totally amazing. They were very accommodating when Pyro talked to them about organising the protest, and we didn't have so much as a walk- or drive-by from a police patrol. If the Scilons called the police while we were outside the org, well, the police didn't show!

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/evilspacecooties/CanberraProtest27March2010

IMG_0145.JPG

Last edited:

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
We had fun it was good to have support from our friends from Sydney and further north, Kookaburra thanks for coming down you are a trouper.

I will be at the next one.

James

supafreak

Patron Meritorious
We had fun it was good to have support from our friends from Sydney and further north, Kookaburra thanks for coming down you are a trouper.

Yeay! Everyone's speeches rocked!

Canberra's a strip mall church?

Hee hee! Nah, the cult has a 70m2 office at the bus interchange. They're not even on the ground floor, so they lack street frontage. I don't think they can afford that anymore. :dieslaughing:

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron

James

Thanks James. Flattery will get you everywhere. :)

I was amazed that from directly across the street you cannot see the org, or rather anything to indicate that there is an org there. The front door and sign are completely obscured by that big support of the awnings and the windows are blocked out. The only sign of life was the disappearance of the "Scientology Global Scam" sign we left at the foot of the stairs under their security camera. :whistling:

It certainly was a laid back demonstration compared to Sydney's.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I personally think you folks gave the Canberra org more action than it's had over the last two years. :D

Purple Rain

Crusader
What a fun day!! Somebody is going on a diet, however - the camera does not lie!! The video links didn't work for me, Supa! Looking forward to the next one.

:)

dontscamme

Patron Meritorious
Good work Canberra Anons and supporters! :thumbsup:

The Vimeo video links from supafreak did work for me. Congrats to Kookaburra and imnotafraidanymore for their excellent speeches.

Good work Canberra Anons and supporters! :thumbsup:

The Vimeo video links from supafreak did work for me. Congrats to Kookaburra and imnotafraidanymore for their excellent speeches.

Canberra was a very interesting and exciting protest. The public took a little while to warm up to us but once they did and once we were out front of the org the support came rolling in.. GO CANBERRA.... Hoping to be back for the next one!!!:happydance:

P.s Gee i dislike seeing myself on video and hearing my voice... I have this image and belief of what i sound like and its always sooo wrong...

Last edited:

byte301

Crusader
That was a great speech, PR. Very heartfelt. I hope they heard it and think about everything you said.:)