ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

"Cave In"

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Sharone Stainforth, Jun 18, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. Sharone Stainforth

Sharone Stainforth Silver Meritorious Patron

This is important.

Is the use of the term "cave in" specifically used in Scientology only or is it used in other mental health practices.

I know what it means, but I have only ever heard it used by Scientologists before. It is probably nothing but it is a curious term and I have only ever heard it used by Scientologists in the past.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

deleted, not enough coffee

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  3. skollie

skollie Silver Meritorious Patron

Yes, "cave in" is used outside of Scientology too- along with other definitions it means to "relent" or "give in"

example:
    Although I'm counting calories, the chocolate cake looked so good - I caved in and had some.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  4. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

Yes, I've heard the word cave-in most of my life, even before scn...

5. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

http://www.answers.com/topic/cave-in

n.

a. A collapse, as of a tunnel or structure.
    b. A place where a cave-in has occurred.

2. An act or instance of ceasing opposition or resistance: The vote was seen as a cave-in to the demands of the administration.

6. Patricia Curtis

Patricia Curtis Patron with Honors

Tam, to "cave in" is a common wog term, however it is used differently than the way the tech employs it. To cave in means to give in, as in, I didn't really want to let my kids stay up past their bedtime, but I eventually caved in. Or, AO tried to resist the temptation to wear a speedo and fishnets in public but ultimately caved in to his desires. In my experience, "caving in" (or negatively introverting) a person is primarily a Scientology colloquialism. Hope this helps a smidgen.

7. cantsay

cantsay Patron Meritorious

In scientology, "caving-in" is a lot more serious than just stopping opposition. Most often it is used to describe someone having a psychotic break - full-on nervous breakdown due to being overwhelmed by their bank. Going insane.

When my mother was opposed to Scn, and I was supposed to be going to Flag for training, OSA decided the correct handling (since good-roads-fair-weather wasnt working well) was to use the reference on SPs that claims that when confronted, an SP will cave-in. They didnt tell me this at the time, but they sent a couple of Scientologists to her farm, and tried to send my mother crazy - Im not sure how, but I think it involved accusing her of all sorts of crimes. One of them got a slap to the ground for her troubles.

When I eventually found out what they had tried to do, I was furious. Im amazed my mother didnt go to the media after being treated like that.

That reference (I can think of the title) is the main reason why people who are "SPs" get some rotten treatment - they think they can easily cave you in, and therefore you will be permanently insane and of no further threat.

8. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Its in the Tech Dict. And AFAIK is the only definition in quote marks
    in that book.

"CAVE IN " (noun) " CAVED IN" ( adjective), mental and/or physical collapse
    to the extent that the individual cannot function causitively. The individual is quite effect. A U.S. Western term which symbolised mental or physical collapse as like being at the bottom of a mine shaft or in a tunnel when the supports collapsed and left the person under tons of debris.
    ( LRH Def. Notes)

9. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Coffee. sometimes not enough, sometimes too much = must delete.