What's new

Chlor-Mag

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
<snip>
Interestingly, [highlight]antiperspirants are aluminium chloride[/highlight], the magnesium chloride is healthier but not as effective with perspiration. You might find it stings a bit, but that goes away after a few uses.. or dilute it more.

Having damp armpits might be socially unacceptable, but bodies perspire for a reason, and clogging up the works with chemicals can't be a good thing in the long-term. Taking a shower two or three times a day might be a better alternative, although I accept that most people don't have the time.

Victoria

Patron Meritorious
Having damp armpits might be socially unacceptable, but bodies perspire for a reason, and clogging up the works with chemicals can't be a good thing in the long-term. Taking a shower two or three times a day might be a better alternative, although I accept that most people don't have the time.

Oh, come on... Everybody knows body odor is determined by tone level.:lol:

Hypatia

Pagan
That's for sure - you can't make grapefruit juice any worse ;)

I put it in my chopped celery+capsicum+cucumber salad that I try to have daily.

I quite like grapefruit juice, especially the pink. But, yes, strongly flavored juices will mask the taste.

Hypatia

Pagan

I use natural stuff. It's more deodorant than antiperspirant but does seem to help with that to an extent.

Mike Laws

Patron Meritorious
I take exception to the caption, "stop trying to ... alkalinize your body". According to the urine test strips I use, my body is very acidic to begin with, fighting to keep pH up. When I attempt to alkalinize, I am merely helping, and probably making myself healthier at the same time.

Helena

Please forgive me for interjecting, seems slightly awkward to answer a post this personal no knowing you! But I wanted to share significant research we did on this at my business as it might have some value. We live and work in some pretty brutal environmental conditions here in Texas. We frequently work in heat indexes over 100, sometimes nearing 120. Dehydration is our single greatest safety concern, and the single greatest potential for work site injury. We have to take it pretty seriously.

We had one person trying to manage their health through alkalized water, they were constantly getting ill. Urine, clinically, has a pH range of 4.6 to 8 from memory, mostly dictated by food. This person would up the alkalinity of the water if the pH fell beyond 7. The problem was he didn't hydrate sufficiently, and some acidity is required for metals to become soluble and pass, (basic chemistry) there is a complex natural function.

As mentioned earlier, we found that foods were the best way to provide alkalinity and electrolytes together with water, and some drinks like Gatorade, but mostly water and fruit. Watermelon for example has one of the highest pH's and potassium levels of all fruits. We started bringing in a hundred pounds of fresh fruit or so a week for the employees for free, together with education on dehydration, we reduced hydration safety incidents to zero for three years now.

On hydration education, urine is the # one indicator used in real life. Urine should be clear or straw colored, dark urine is an absolute sign of dehydration or other health issues (yes there are foods that can change color but this is very temporary. There should also be no smell, strong smell is another sign of dehydration. People should have to go every hour or two. Many studies in the US I know of show people as chronically dehydrated. In summer, we want an average size person to drink at least a gallon per day, and often 2.

Dehydration also causes a lower pH in the urine, as the kidneys, faced with insufficient water to function properly the kidneys concentrate more toxic waste into the little water the body can spare, and this is normally acidic.

Body odor also seems to have been noticeably reduced when people are well hydrated.