ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

"Church" of Scientology Manipultates Using Facebook

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Magoo, Jul 30, 2010.

View Users: View Users
  1. Magoo

Magoo Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks, Lionheart---that is correct.

Just seeing "the Church of Scientology" as one of the organizations in on this, I felt it should be noted.
    Whether they wanted the names for marketing, or more
    likely to check on who is on FB, and then who their friends are---they are one sick organization.

My best to all and Happy Saturday! :D

Tory/Magoo

2. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

Yes. And no. :) Lossy compression of ASCII data would be... interesting? However, there was this German guy who created 42.zip, which is basically just a directory structure with a bunch of empty files. Compressed, it's just a few bytes, but if you would be able to decompress it completely, it would be somewhere in the exabyte range. Don't download this file if you have automatic virus scan for archives enabled - your computer will be busy scanning this file for the next couple of centuries to come - or until you turn it off :).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  3. Antagone

Antagone Patron

Tory, wouldn't the CoS have their own detailed completion lists they could possibly cross-check the names against? At a very basic level they could maybe see how many Facebook users have taken courses, or ended up on their mailing lists. That sort of information might show whether or not it would be useful to conduct an ad campaign on Facebook.

4. Magoo

Magoo Gold Meritorious Patron

Absolutely, Antagone.

As I said, they *could* use it for Marketing (as you suggest)
    or my guess is more importantly to them, who is talking to
    who, and how to run covert black ops against any "Friends" they don't want them speaking to.

C of $ has long ago lost serious interest in "new" people,
    and they waste hours/days/months/years and literally
    millions of the members $$$ "Fighting" their critics.

Why is it WE can all see how stupid their actions are,
    but those "in" cannot? Amazing, isn't it? :whistling:

Meantime: Happy Saturday to ALL :thumbsup:

Tory/Magoo

5. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

I agree. It is NOT likely for "marketing" reasons.

6. lionheart

lionheart Gold Meritorious Patron

I suppose "the stupid" rubs off on on those "in" the "church" :yes: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=19295&highlight=twitter+stupid

7. hartley

hartley Patron with Honors

The Torrented list was I'd guess just the guy who compiled it proving that he'd done it. It is (allegedly) a list of names linked to the URL of their Facebook page, eg

Tory Christman http://www.facebook.com/?ref=ha#!/ToryMagoo44

I assume his actual list has more, any information that people have typed in AND allowed EVERYONE to see.

From our point of view it's always nice to see the media laughing at the 'Church' of Scientology, with some deluded fanatic in LA imagining that he can impress DM with this by showing him his little cult is a Big World Player.

8. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

9. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

His actual list. I haven't read anything about that, only the "index" list this thread is about. Do you have any data about an actual list, Hartley?

Paul