What's new

Daily Mail Exclusive SMP Grand Opening

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
The Daily Mail headline:

Inside Tom Cruise's new $50 million 'Scientology CNN' TV and Hollywood movie studio that rivals Paramount Pictures and promises to reach 'every person on Earth'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ach-virtually-person-Earth.html#ixzz4CGmNb0NM

They call it "
Tom Cruise's new $50 million 'Scientology CNN' TV and Hollywood movie studio" but fail to mention that Tom Cruise was a no show for it's "Grand Opening".

Jump

Operating teatime

Where was Tom for the opening??

A. Visiting his cute 10yr old daughter

B. Smooching with new hot co-star

C. Steadying the horses at some Central American cult shindig.

D. Consoling and supporting his cultmate through a recent AIDS media blowup.

E. Meeting the US fans of recently re-released Bottlefull Earth.

F. None of the above.

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
I bet David Miscavige would have scheduled the grand opening on a day Tom Cruise was able and willing to be there. I'm curious why Tom Cruise wasn't there. I think it's time to take his giant medal back.

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Top item today on their home page:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...on-promises-reach-virtually-person-Earth.html

"To reach virtually every person on earth"

Yeah, right.

I read quite a few of the comments....majority anti-cult.

Some nice highlights
Very sinister. And, I need a bowel movement.

Google xenu- you will laugh !! This is not a religion, it was created by a wacko scifi writer

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
That article reads to me suspiciously like a native advertising piece. Publishers agree to run the promo if they can add their own editorial style/slant (and make it sound like a legitimate newsworthy item). Adverisers agree as long as the overall effect is positive and they can avoid the dreaded "sponsored article" disclaimer.
So the DM popped in the word "propaganda" and a few short lines about critics and protesters. Trouble is the voice sounds different between the COS written drivel and the critical -better add this in or we will look too much like a cult shill-afterthought.
I'd love to know how much Miscavige paid for this. I'm betting it will keep the DM's water and lights on for a while.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Many of the Mail's images were CGI renderings, stated as such, and not photographs. Is that because the actual spaces are not complete yet?

Paul

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
Many of the Mail's images were CGI renderings, stated as such, and not photographs. Is that because the actual spaces are not complete yet?

Paul

CGI-renderings can be made more easily look impressive. Have a look at the picture from the sound studio with the "big" mixing console on the left.

34D2EF7E00000578-3629275-Leader_David_Miscavige_said_the_TV_station_will_harness_the_powe-a-29_1465478303186.jpg

At the right side you can see a lot of outboard equipment. Each of this outboard equipment is only 19" wide. You can see 6 stacks of outboard equipment, which is (6 x 20") only about 120" (~ 3m) real size - what looks in the picture like 400" (~ 10m).

120" total length ?.... some toilets and many living rooms are bigger than that - but they don't look so impressive to the rich and stupid.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious

They call it "
Tom Cruise's new $50 million 'Scientology CNN' TV and Hollywood movie studio" but fail to mention that Tom Cruise was a no show for it's "Grand Opening".

You said it. Then they have an old photo of Tom when he was younger. They should have said the new studio's broadcasts will reach every virtual Scientologist on Earth. Scientology is producing 47x the number of those every second, now that they've got the gigabytes of storage.

I don't think Scientology has claimed Cruise was going to start making movies there. Maybe if Cruise is still in England it will get his attention.

Any complaints people have about Tony Ortega's work in exposing Scientology have to be offset by the fact he is so much more accurate and informed than most newspapers and the leaps they make.

I'm not against dragging Tom Cruise into Scientology stories, since it is what drew my attention to Scientology (in the way of being critic) years ago, and he is very important in the trap, and in his association with Miscavige. But just sticking him in where he doesn't fit in the story, I guess because it gets more readers, that is just odd.

Maybe it's a fine line but I don't mind when they call it "Tom Cruise's cult," but to say this is his media studio is a little bit different.

When my attention was drawn to Tom Cruise and Scientology, it was because of the things Tom was actually doing and saying in his Matt Lauer appearance. It kind of explains the main reason Tom isn't saying anything about Scientology now. When he did it backfired and attracted too much negative attention. It caused people like me to be curious about Cruise's basis for his understanding of the history of psychiatry. It turned out to the be the history of psychiatry according to his goofball cult, and that the evil psychs have been a force in this sector of the galaxy for billions of years, according to Dr. Hubtard. Now that's all very interesting, in a cut your balls off, catch a spaceship on the tail of a comet sort of way.

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
RT is covering the SMP-opening (and re-release of "Battlefield Earth") too:
https://www.rt.com/usa/347840-scientology-propaganda-network-launched/

Scientology propaganda machine: Tom Cruise launches TV network to reach ‘every person on Earth’

The HBO documentary "Going Clear" revealed the embarrassing and skin-crawling antics of the secretive organization, but it was nothing compared to its “horrendous” 1990 feature film "Battlefield Earth" starring John Travolta.

[video=youtube;rw8RVcUyma0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw8RVcUyma0[/video]

MissAmiaSays said:
@Scientology put "more than 10.000" people in these 1.000 chairs ! Sounds like North Korea to me

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Forbes says:

Tom Cruise Opens $50 Million Scientology Movie And TV Studio Complex In Hollywood

[FONT=&amp]
Alisha Grauso , CONTRIBUTOR

[FONT=&amp]I write about film and television.

[/FONT][/FONT]
The old Hollywood studio system may be struggling as of late, but you wouldn’t know it by talking to Tom Cruise. The actor was on hand for the grand opening of the Church of Scientology’s massive studio complex in Hollywood last month with images and details finally being released this week via Daily Mail. Located right on Sunset Boulevard, the studio system took five years to renovate and cost approximately $50 million dollars.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alishag...-tv-studio-complex-in-hollywood/#4c8c844662af

WTF! What bullshit, journalism is going downhill fast.

PS So far there is no evidence that Tom Cruise was there. Not even Scientology is making that claim and I'm sure they wish Tom Cruise had been there.

Last edited:

Orglodyte 2

Patron with Honors
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alishag...-tv-studio-complex-in-hollywood/#4c8c844662af

WTF! What bullshit, journalism is going downhill fast.

PS So far there is no evidence that Tom Cruise was there. Not even Scientology is making that claim and I'm sure they wish Tom Cruise had been there.

The article is a bit better than the Daily Mail one. She does make the claim that Cruise was there, and all the bull you cite. Eight billion in reserves! I wonder where the Daily Mail got that number.

But the Forbes article wraps it up like this:

"Whether or not the complex will actually be utilized or whether it will sit empty, the truth is that either way, Scientology desperately needs to rebrand its image. It has had a very public [fall] from grace in the last decade, with more and more top officials and insiders leaving the church and blowing the lid off the shadier, disturbing practices of Scientology. While it reportedly has $8 billion in its reserves, it would be reasonable to believe it is in need of a huge recruiting push as those reserves will run dry if there are no incoming members to refill it."

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron

The article is a bit better than the Daily Mail one. She does make the claim that Cruise was there, and all the bull you cite. Eight billion in reserves! I wonder where the Daily Mail got that number.

But the Forbes article wraps it up like this:

"Whether or not the complex will actually be utilized or whether it will sit empty, the truth is that either way, Scientology desperately needs to rebrand its image. It has had a very public [fall] from grace in the last decade, with more and more top officials and insiders leaving the church and blowing the lid off the shadier, disturbing practices of Scientology. While it reportedly has $8 billion in its reserves, it would be reasonable to believe it is in need of a huge recruiting push as those reserves will run dry if there are no incoming members to refill it."
Yes, that makes her sound like she has some insight into Scientology but I can't give her much credibility when she makes an apparently imaginary claim that Tom Cruise "was on hand for the grand opening". Not even her source the Daily Mail made that claim. If they need to mention Cruise to get readers they should make a point of saying he wasn't seen and that there is no mention or photos of him in Scientology's coverage of the grand opening. Forbes isn't or at least wasn't a tabloid.

Orglodyte 2

Patron with Honors
Yes, that makes her sound like she has some insight into Scientology but I can't give her much credibility when she makes an apparently imaginary claim that Tom Cruise "was on hand for the grand opening". Not even her source the Daily Mail made that claim. If they need to mention Cruise to get readers they should make a point of saying he wasn't seen and that there is no mention or photos of him in Scientology's coverage of the grand opening. Forbes isn't or at least wasn't a tabloid.

Yeah good point.

Boson Wog Stark

Patron Meritorious
Forbes saying Tom Cruise was there...why, because they saw his photo in the Daily Mail? The press has the same problem with Scientology that has always existed to some degree. Scientology is secretive and complicated. They lie a lot. They don't open their events up to the press or public, so the press relies on press releases from the cult, or what other [equally unreliable] media says. They don't need to do this anymore.

This is all dumb, when they could be consulting with Tony Ortega on everything. There is an expert on Scientology and current developments and it is Tony. He has the experience. He has the sources, both in number and quality. He knows what sources are reliable and what sources are less reliable. And he's built up his network of sources and his reputation so that he doesn't ever have to rely on one sketchy source.

For basic information they also have Reitman and Wright.

It is frustrating, both for the press and more informed readers, when the press can't ask basic questions of Scientology spokesholes and get answers about things like when the radio station will begin, what kind of content to expect from the TV station and when does that begin broadcasting. It's not like Scientology is an individual who wants to keep their privacy. They are blasting all this BS about the earth-shattering importance of their new media production facility, and they should be able to answer questions about it.

The press should confront Scientology with statements like, "There are critics who are saying this move to a new media facility is to get Scientology propaganda production away from the cult compound, site of former executive prison camp, The Hole, and make it more accessible for the non-Scientology actors your cult is forced to hire for many of your videos, since too many members keep leaving."

So I like that the Forbes writer suggests the place may remain largely empty -- that this is just about real estate acquisition and false fronts. That's closer to the truth than it being Tom Cruise's studio, where he will make movies, and the cult will be reaching everyone on Earth.

With the changing fortunes and reputation of Scientology, the press gets a kick out of repeating the cult's overblown statements, but at least many of them are mentioning Tony and other critics now.

It seems like one humorous byproduct of the false press regarding Cruise making movies there would be for reporters to ask Cruise that in an interview. "So when are you going to start filming a movie in YOUR new studio?" If that became a common misconception, it seems like Cruise's people would have to say, no, actually, it is not Cruise's studio, and he has no plans for making movies there either. Except for the one Tom Cruise Crazy Scientologist video, Mr. Cruise has never been active in their promotional materials as an actor.

Sure, it is possible that some friend close to Katie Holmes or a friend of someone close to a woman Tom Cruise is dating or co-starring with will reveal some juicy tidbits, but will we ever be able to distinguish it from the made-up crap? And with the big stuff, like Tom leaving Scientology, the press should corroborate this with several people, some who can be named, and preferably with Tom himself, before they put it in headlines like it's a sure thing.

The poor media is so starved for news about Tom Cruise, and he is in such a lockdown, not saying anything, except promoting his movies, that they are making up things about him. What do they expect? It's not like Cruise can talk about his happy family, or how he rules his household and family members according to the principles of LRH. We already know that from the Leah Remini book.

They shouldn't bother making up stuff about him. Mention that he's the most famous cult member if they have to, to get readers, and go on to the story. Scientology is fascinating for itself now, in its bloated real estate acquisitions, and drama that is created by separating families and trying to project an image of expansion while collapsing. Their delusions, like spending $32,000/year of their billions on the Way to Happiness Foundation, and that it is transforming society, making everyone happy after mass shootings or natural disasters, that's ridiculous. Pretty Moonie girls handing flowers to people in airports and then asking for a donation made people happier than Scientology's entire Way to Happiness program. But that wasn't transforming society either.

Last edited:

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tony Ortega wrote:

We have to admit to being pretty depressed about how the world’s media reacted to one of the more ludicrous pieces about Scientology that we’ve ever seen in the Daily Mail, with its very late reporting on last month’s grand opening of the new Scientology Media Productions television and radio studios in Los Angeles.

Not only was the piece nearly a month after the fact (and claimed to be an “exclusive”), but it gushed with nonsense straight out of Scientology PR, pretending that this was ALL ABOUT TOM CRUISE! And Tom is going to make movies there! And Scientology has a studio that is bigger than Paramount Pictures! And two of Tom’s movies, Far and Away and Days of Thunder shot scenes at Scientology’s Hemet base, so this new studio in Hollywood itself is going to be a cinch for Tom’s upcoming blockbusters! And here’s a photo of Tom Cruise, John Travolta, and Kirstie Alley applauding like they were actually at the grand opening!

Sadly, websites large and small jumped on this stuff like there was a shred of truth to it, and none of them — not one — bothered to do a simple search to find out that it was all complete and utter bullshit.

continues: http://tonyortega.org/2016/06/23/sa...ard-a-scientology-saga-of-sea-org-dedication/