What's new

Dave Fagen - My Side of the Story

Sindy

Crusader
Hey Everybody!

My husband has been working on this blog for over a year for a single purpose and I'll let him say it in his own words:

My name is Dave Fagen. I was on staff for 25 years in theChicago org of the Church of Scientology. I fully left the church in March of 2010 and announced my resignation to church officials.

After I left, a few people had asked me to write up a declaration introducing myself as someone who had left the church with an explanation as to why, as many others have done. I didn’t know what I could offer that would be much different than what others have written, such as the abuses in the church and other stories.

Then a moment came where I realized that I had a lot of attention on what my former friends in the church were thinking as to why I had suddenly just up and left after 25 years. I never had a chance to explain it to any of them especially since, to my knowledge, not one of them wanted me to tell them.

But, I thought, maybe some of them do want to know. And maybe some who don’t want to know now, will want to know sometime in the future even if it is years down the line.

As I was going through my life after the C of S, I kept imagining what I would want my former acquaintances in the church to know about what happened when I left over two years ago and how it all went down, and why. It culminated in a moment where I decided that I had a purpose now to offer to them my side of the story.

And I wanted them to know everything that happened and every morsel of my reasoning.

So I decided to write this blog. It took me over a year, very part-time, to write it and polish it up. blog link: Dave Fagen: My Side of the Story.

Though this story is specifically addressed to the people who knew me when I was in the church, anyone who is interested can read it and it is my hope that anybody who reads it can get something beneficial out of it.

I think that this story could possibly be helpful to anyone who doesn’t like what he or she sees going on in the church these days and may need someone else’s viewpoint. And this story definitely does have a viewpoint.

Or maybe if you know someone who is in the church and can’t make up their mind and is going through the usual cognitive dissonance, well, though this is only one person’s viewpoint, it certainly is a full and detailed one. So maybe you would like to refer him or her to my story.

Or if you are already out of the church, you may just find it interesting to get yet another viewpoint. I know for myself, I can’t get enough viewpoints on this whole thing and haven’t gotten sick of the stories after two years and don’t see that happening anytime soon.

My story as written is very long. I know that may be a turn-off for some. But there was nothing that I wrote in this blog that I felt was any less important to be made known to my former acquaintances and colleagues than anything else so I decided not to shorten it.

Instead I made it into sections with titles, so that in case you don’t want to read the whole thing, you can just pick out parts that interest you and read those.

“My Side of the Story” answers for me the question: “If I could talk to my former friends still in the Church of Scientology about why I left, what would I say exactly?”

The blog is really for those who are still trying to figure it out and why, from the Scientology perspective, things are so weird. I thought it might be helpful in the same way Debbie Cook's email was as it is written in a way that a person still in could relate to.

Maybe this will help to get someone you know out. :love2:

Smilla

Ordinary Human
Hey Everybody!

My husband has been working on this blog for over a year for a single purpose and I'll let him say it in his own words:

The blog is really for those who are still trying to figure it out and why, from the Scientology perspective, things are so weird. I thought it might be helpful in the same way Debbie Cook's email was as it is written in a way that a person still in could relate to.

Maybe this will help to get someone you know out. :love2:

Welcome Sindy!

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
The more personal stories the merrier imho.
(Smilla darlin' ya crack me up, Sindy's been a member for a while and longer than you)
:p

Sindy

Crusader
The more personal stories the merrier imho.
(Smilla darlin' ya crack me up, Sindy's been a member for a while and longer than you)

You're sweet. No, I haven't been a member longer than Smilla but, I think she was just kidding :)

Smilla

Ordinary Human
You're sweet. No, I haven't been a member longer than Smilla but, I think she was just kidding :)

Apologies - I read your post count wrong, but I did read the whole of Dave's blog earlier today, so maybe you could grant me absolution :) I also fell of my horse the other day and cut my arm, which is now infected, and I'm full of very strong painkillers, so. Mmm.. What were we talking about? Oh yes, broccoli, I think it was.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Hey, I just started reading Dave's story. I am totally digging it!

After only a couple pages, it already inspired a stupid post. LOL

Really looking forward to reading more. So cool that you took the time and care to lay out a common sense, step-by-step walk to the exit gates of Scientology's Theme Park.

Great work brother!

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Hey Sindy,

Dave's Blog is AWESOME! I'm only a quarter of the way through it right now but it is well worth the time and effort required.

I'll thank Dave when I get to the end but, in the meantime, please let him know that I think he has done something exceptional in putting this together. I predict that it will be very helpful to many still-in, still-considering-their-options, wondering-wtf?-is-going-on, and recently-out scientologists.

Thanks again! :)

http://davefagen.wordpress.com/

Sindy

Crusader
Hey Sindy,

Dave's Blog is AWESOME! I'm only a quarter of the way through it right now but it is well worth the time and effort required.

I'll thank Dave when I get to the end but, in the meantime, please let him know that I think he has done something exceptional in putting this together. I predict that it will be very helpful to many still-in, still-considering-their-options, wondering-wtf?-is-going-on, and recently-out scientologists.

Thanks again! :)

http://davefagen.wordpress.com/

Thank you. I told him. I am glad you are enjoying it and I agree with you. Dave is and always has been very approachable and actually one of the very few who really was always safe to talk to, no matter what he would never betray a confidence, feel the need to write a KR, or turn his back on anyone. He's a very good guy and I just hope that those who know this, starting putting two and two together. I think it is going to get a few more out -- hopefully more. :)

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
I just read a bunch of the blog. It's excellent. He should've published it as a book.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on
:roflmao:

Great first post Helluvahoax! :welcome:

lolololololololololololololololololol

As a newbie here I was hoping someone could refer me to an LRH reference on a situation I have been trying to handle.

I recently have been thinking about leaving the CoS and am concerned about my eternity. But some people are saying I can get my eternity outside of the Cos at a big discount. It sounded too good to be true so I called my reg and they said that Flag is running a special deal right now where you can buy 1/2 eternity for 1/2 price.

Now I am working on a Doubt formula and trying to evaluate both deals.

Does anyone know the best Indie half-hour rates for 1/2 eternity?

I figure by the time I get half-way to eternity I should have accumulated enough MEST money to buy the other half, no problem.

freethinker

Sponsor
I don't mean this to sound the wrong way but it is fascinating that he is using the tech and getting the truth.

From what I have read so far it is an excellent writing, easy to digest and well thought out. It's clear to see that he went through this in earnest setting all bullshit aside.

anonomog

Gold Meritorious Patron
What a brilliant, logical resource it is. Thank you for sharing Dave (and Sindy, as it is your journey too).

Reading as a non-, it is very helpful in understanding the thoughts and fears involved when a Scientologist starts to doubt. I believe it will be invaluable to any family or friends of the newly out, or about to be out, Scientologist too.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller

Interesting blog with a rapier insight into the acidic effect Scientology has on the human spirit. How wonderful to have a relatively current update on the day-to-day goings-on. Most valuable, for me anyway, was a glimpse at the pernicious influence Scientology has on personal relationships and how those suffering must work so hard to keep love alive. The cost, of course, is exposure of intimate details to the world. Sindy, yours and Dave's gift to me is not the additional information on Scientology as much as it is the example you display of the level of personal bravery required by Exes to face the cult. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Frustrating, though, that Dave seems mired in the carefully laid-out Martyworld sandtrap where analysis begins and ends with David Miscavige. The end result seems to leave those thus trapped floundering in that twighlight zone of the wrong WHO and the wrong WHY. There's all sorts of "tells" which indicate this might be the case. Just one example: the perennial acceptable truth that "disconnection was cancelled". Dave, at least, qualifies the statement somewhat with the rider "disconnection was cancelled as a requirement" but appears to have failed to examine the circumstances surrounding the policy including its timing, context, distribution, impact on related policy, and real-world effects. Jim Logan's tortured apology for disconnection, stumbling tango through the tech, and fallacious premise in regards to David Miscavige's "arbitrary" doesn't mask the disingenuous attempt at revisionism.

Most heartening, however, is that Dave seems not to have arrived at any firm conclusion but is himself still en route. Again, there are all sorts of "tells" which indicate this, not the least of them being a willingness to at least consider L Ron Hubbard's own part in creating the monster. On the other hand, its apparent that someone like me is not the reader Dave had in mind when writing of his journey. He's clearly directing his message at those still in the cult and, rather than scaring them off with a "LOL Xenu / LRH SUX" treatise, he's shining a torch to show a way out. Those who see will be able to, if not eliminate, then significantly reduce exposure to that abuse which requires the cult infrastructure to fully implement.

Meanwhile, there's plenty of us out here happy to throw down planks and tow ropes to help others get across the sand trap. Had a chance to listen this, yet?

Last edited: