What's new

David Jolly campaign for Senate scrubs Wikipedia mentions of Scientology

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
David Jolly campaign for Senate scrubs Wikipedia mentions of Scientology.

[NOTE: Related thread for background: Scientology Welcomes US Congressman David Jolly. I decided this thread deserved its own "breaking news" headline. ]

Tampa Bay Times: David Jolly campaign for Senate scrubs Wikipedia mentions of Scientology, lobbying

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...edia-mentions-of-scientology-lobbying/2272038

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

David Jolly campaign scrubs Wikipedia mentions of Scientology, lobbying

Adam C. Smith, Times Political Editor

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 7:48pm

From our friends at Buzzfeed:

A campaign spokesperson for Rep. David Jolly, a Republican Senate candidate in Florida, admitted to BuzzFeed News on Tuesday that the campaign has edited Jolly’s Wikipedia page to remove unflattering information.

Sarah Bascom, Jolly’s spokesperson, confirmed that the campaign removed references to Jolly’s past career as a lobbyist, his association with the Church of Scientology, his support for same sex marriage, and political contributions he made to Democratic candidates. Bascom accused a unspecified rival campaign of adding what she described as “campaign propaganda” in the first place.

More here

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

*************************************************************************************

Buzzfeed: Florida Senate Campaign Admits To Scrubbing Candidate’s Wikipedia Page

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczy...ndidates-wikip?utm_term=.db3QGaKoo#.bkK0d1jDD

Florida Senate Campaign Admits To Scrubbing Candidate’s Wikipedia Page

The campaign alleged that “an opposing campaign with the help of someone at Wikipedia” placed unflattering information on the page.

posted on Apr. 5, 2016, at 3:55 p.m.

Andrew Kaczynski, BuzzFeed News Reporter

Nathan McDermott, BuzzFeed News Reporter

A campaign spokesperson for Rep. David Jolly, a Republican Senate candidate in Florida, admitted to BuzzFeed News on Tuesday that the campaign has edited Jolly’s Wikipedia page to remove unflattering information.

Sarah Bascom, Jolly’s spokesperson, confirmed that the campaign removed references to Jolly’s past career as a lobbyist, his association with the Church of Scientology, his support for same sex marriage, and political contributions he made to Democratic candidates. Bascom accused a unspecified rival campaign of adding what she described as “campaign propaganda” in the first place.

Two edits were made — one on March 15 and one on April 4 — by a user named “Bascomcomm”. Bascom is the president of Bascom Communications & Consulting, a political firm in Florida.

[SNIP]

One line removed, read:

Jolly’s relationship with the Church of Scientology, which is based inside his congressional district in Clearwater, Florida, has been reported on in the press, including Jolly’s attendance at various fundraising events hosted by the organization.

It was replaced by another:
Jolly has filed legislation to provide additional and more permanent flood insurance relief, improve health care and education choices for our veterans, extend the life of ongoing beach renourishment projects for Pinellas County, and provide for investments in transportation and infrastructure, health care research and education. Jolly has also worked to eliminate wasteful government spending and cap the total tax burden on individuals and families.

[SNIP]

A sample edit can be seen below. The entire list can be viewed here.

enhanced-mid-31151-1459894410-7.png

attachment.php

Attachments

• SenateCandidateDavidJollyEditsWikipediaPageToDeleteReferencesToScientology.jpg
    SenateCandidateDavidJollyEditsWikipediaPageToDeleteReferencesToScientology.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
SPIT ..the amount of re-shuffling of the deck when one doesn't like the hand one has dealt oneself is so indicative of a coward. David Jolly meet L. ron Hubbard.
My 4 year old adopted son has greater skills and more laudable ethics in dealing with reality.

CommunicatorIC

The Hill: GOP Senate campaign admits to editing its candidate's Wikipedia

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...n-admits-to-editing-candidates-wikipedia-page

Bascom altered references Jolly's stint as a lobbyist, his support for same sex marriage, his affiliation with the Church of Scientology and contributions he's made to Democratic lawmakers.

Buzzfeed found the two Wikipedia users who Bascom had accused of planting the "propaganda" were longtime award-winning Wikipedia editors.

Bascom would not say which campaign she believed they were affiliated with.

One of the entries she removed said, "Jolly’s relationship with the Church of Scientology, which is based inside his congressional district in Clearwater, Florida, has been reported on in the press, including Jolly’s attendance at various fundraising events hosted by the organization."

She replaced it with a paragraph that touted Jolly's legislative record.

CommunicatorIC

Observation from the Crowley Political Report:

http://www.crowleypoliticalreport.c...paign-admits-altering-his-wikipedia-page.html

Clearly Bascom's attempt to remove elements from the Jolly's Wikipedia page was a mistake. It simply highlights for his opponents areas where the Jolly campaign is worried.

Plus, it make the candidate look bad. It makes it appear that he has something to hide.

You can already imagine the 30-second video.

The Florida Republican primary will be tough enough without unforced errors.

CommunicatorIC

GOP Senate Candidate David Jolly Deletes Scientology Ties From His Wikipedia Page

GOP Senate Candidate David Jolly Deletes Scientology Ties From His Wikipedia Page.

Gawker: GOP Senate Candidate Deletes #Scientology Ties From His Wikipedia Page

http://gawker.com/gop-senate-candidate-deletes-scientology-ties-from-his-1769378353

Florida Rep. David Jolly wants to take Marco Rubio’s seat in the Senate. Unfortunately for him, he also has a long history of ties to the Church of Scientology. Which is why his campaign has been hard at work scrubbing Jolly’s Wikipedia page of any mention to the elaborate pyramid scheme of a religion, it recently confirmed to BuzzFeed News.

Jolly’s current district in Florida includes the Flag Service Organization, which is the “spiritual headquarters of Scientologists planetwide” and the group’s largest church. And the candidate for Senate has been happy to make full use of Scientology’s ample funds, accepting donations from “an infamous Scientologist doctor” as well as attending “rallies and fundraisers thrown by the church,” according to The Daily Beast.

None of this is particularly conducive to a national election, however, and speaking to BuzzFeed, a spokesperson for Jolly admitted that “the campaign removed references to Jolly’s past career as a lobbyist, his association with the Church of Scientology, his support for same sex marriage, and political contributions he made to Democratic candidates.”

[SNIP]

You can see examples of the rather extensive edits, which were made on March 15 and April 4, below.

uryn5ecxl0gmjrw5ueq7.png

rp2annsnpgnenv9ngtip.png

CommunicatorIC

David Jolly's Senate Campaign Scrubbed His Scientology Connections From Wikipedia

Republican David Jolly's Senate Campaign Scrubbed His Scientology Connections From Wikipedia.

Talking Points Memo: GOPer's Campaign Scrubbed His Scientology Connections From Wikipedia

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/david-jolly-scrubs-scientology-wikipedia

Jolly told the Tampa Bay Times that he disagreed with his staff's decision to remove the info from his page.

“It was a careless staff mistake,” Jolly told the Tampa Bay Times. “I stand by my full record, relationships, and life experience, and believe every day that voters and the community are best served by having as much information as possible, regardless of whether it comes from critics or supporters.”

The Tampa Bay Times points out that Jolly's spokeswoman is his cousin.

CommunicatorIC

David Jolly: "I stand by my... relationships"

David Jolly: "I stand by my... relationships."

The Tampa Bay Times has an updated article.

David Jolly: It was staff mistake to scrub my Wikipedia page

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...f-mistake-to-scrub-his-wikipedia-page/2272126

Republican U.S. Senate candidate and U.S. Rep. David Jolly tells The Buzz that he had no idea that one of his campaign aides, Sarah Bascom, had taken it upon herself to edit his Wikepedia page and remove references to his meeting with Scientologists, his background as a lobbyist,and his acceptance of same sex marriage. Buzzfeed reported the changes Tuesday, and we highlighted their report.

"It was a careless staff mistake that I first learned about from the Times," Jolly said. "I stand by my full record, relationships, and life experience, and believe every day that voters and the community are best served by having as much information as possible, regardless of whether it comes from critics or supporters."

CommunicatorIC

New Buzzfeed article.

Florida Senate Candidate: Scrubbing Of Wikipedia Page Was A “Careless Staff Mistake”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczy...crubbing-of-wikipedia-page-was-a-c#.qv0WxeBGG

Rep. David Jolly’s Senate campaign also accused a Wikipedia user of adding “propaganda” to the page on behalf of a rival campaign. That user told BuzzFeed News on Wednesday that such accusations were absurd.

posted on Apr. 6, 2016, at 11:30 a.m.

Andrew Kaczynski

BuzzFeed News Reporter

Republican Rep. David Jolly, who is running for Senate in Florida, said Wednesday it was a mistake for his campaign to have edited his Wikipedia page to remove unflattering information.

“It was a careless staff mistake that I first learned about from the Times,” Jolly told the Tampa Bay Times. “I stand by my full record, relationships, and life experience, and believe every day that voters and the community are best served by having as much information as possible, regardless of whether it comes from critics or supporters.”

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
An interesting turn of events

1) A set of experienced Wiki editors with a reputation for being impartial place cited information about David Jolly's Scientology's connections and a few other things on his wiki page prior to his campaign.
2) David Jolly's cousin and PR person Sarah Bascom removes references to Scientology and a few other things.
3) The wiki editors put them back.
4) Sarah Bascom deletes the references again.
5) The wiki editors put them back.
6) This process continues.
7) The press begin reporting on the story.
8) Sarah Bascom claims that she is defending David Jolly from a propaganda campaign organized by opposition members. No substantiation is given and the claim appears at odds with the records of the people who made the edits and the fact that the information was put there prior to Jolly's campaign.
9) David Jolly says he the edits were a mistake made by staff.
10) David Jolly says that he stands by his relationships (although he doesn't say what they are).

It is quite striking how similar this flap is to Scientology's flaps.

A few points:

Sarah Bascom must be very stupid for deleting the references multiple times. Protip: If something doesn't work the first time, don't do it again. How does a PR person, operating on the internet not know about the Streisand effect?

Sarah Bascom's assertion that David Jolly is a victim of a propaganda campaign is an unusual claim. I'm not sure how well sourced facts, presented prior to Jolly's campaign could be enemy campaign propaganda?

David Jolly's assertion that the edits were a mistake (9) and Sarah Bascom's statement that he was being smeared (evidently with the truth) (10) don't really fit.

David Jolly did not comment on whether or not he was being smeared. He ignored the comment.

Sarah Bascom's actions are clearly so stupid, it makes me wonder whether David Jolly even knew about this. He would have to be very stupid himself. Perhaps he is.

Either way, attention has been drawn to his Scientology connections and the ineptitude of his PR campaign. Win.

CommunicatorIC

David Jolly Didn't Want You To Know About His Scientology Ties

David Jolly Didn't Want You To Know About His Scientology Ties.

Miami New Times: David Jolly Didn't Want You To Know About His Scientology Ties

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/f...ou-to-know-about-his-scientology-ties-8371327

* * * * * BEGIN END OF ARTICLE * * * * *

The Church's Clearwater headquarters are within Jolly's current Congressional district. Jolly has attended some fundraisers held by the controversial "church."

Though, Jolly isn't the only Florida Republican with connections to the Xenu-worshipping organization. Miami-area Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen also has documented connections to the church. Though, she's not running for Senate, and she didn't get caught scrubbing it from her Wiki page.

The resulting controversy, of course, has lead to several headlines and Tweets linking Jolly to Scientology, and now more people probably know about the history than those who were browsing over his Wikipage.

Then again, Scientology-ties aren't the worst thing in Jolly's past.
As a 16-year-old driver, he hit and killed a man who was standing on the side of a road with a broken down motorcycle.

That information wasn't publicly known until just weeks before his original election to Congress, and he still won.

* * * * * END OF ARTICLE * * * *

CommunicatorIC

David Jolly busted for trying to scrub Scientology ties from his Wikipedia page

Senate Candidate David Jolly busted for trying to scrub Scientology ties from his Wikipedia page.

Daily Kos: David Jolly busted for trying to scrub Scientology ties from his Wikipedia page

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/...crub-Scientology-ties-from-his-Wikipedia-page

Leading Off:

FL-Sen: Rule no. 1 for political candidates: Never try to edit your own Wikipedia page. Rule no. 2: Definitely don't try to scrub out references to your links with Scientology. And rule no. 3: For godsakes, don't associate with those lunatic Scientology slave-lords in the first place! Republican Rep. David Jolly has, however, broken all three of these rules. Jolly's ties to the "Church" of Scientology are long-established and well-known. The group has a prominent headquarters in the town of Clearwater, which is located in Jolly's district, and Jolly has often participated in Scientology events: Just last year, he was feted as a "guest of honor" at a Scientology festival.

But the Scientologists have a justly abysmal reputation, so it's no surprise that Jolly would want to conceal his relationship with the organization as he runs statewide. In classic fashion, though, an attempted cover-up has simply brought renewed attention to the matter, as BuzzFeed just busted the Jolly campaign for deleting mentions of Scientology (as well as his work as a lobbyist) on his Wikipedia bio. Jolly tried to fob it off as a "careless staff mistake," even though his own spokesman told BuzzFeed that this was a very deliberate effort "to correct his page to be consistent with all of his public bios."

Jolly insisted that "I stand by my full record, relationships, and life experience," but we'll see how eager he is to talk more about Scientology on the campaign trail.

CommunicatorIC

Will Scientology get its first Senator?

Will Scientology get its first Senator?

Tampa Bay Times: Insider Poll: David Jolly favorite in GOP Senate primary

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...-jolly-favorite-in-gop-senate-primary/2272258

Insider Poll: David Jolly favorite in GOP Senate primary

Adam C. Smith, Times Political Editor

Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:52am

An unscientific survey of Florida smartest politicos

Florida's Republican U.S. Senate primary looks unpredictable with five little-known candidates in the mix, but more than 140 seasoned watchers and players in Florida politics give a slight edge to Republican U.S. Rep. David Jolly. The latest Tampa Bay Times Florida Insider poll has 37 percent predicting Jolly will be the nominee, 26 percent predicting Lt. Gov. Carlos Lopez-Cantera, 25 percent saying U.S. Rep. Ron DeSantis, 10 percent predicting Carlos Beruff, and 2 percent saying Todd Wilcox.

* * * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Senate Candidate David JollyTries To Edit Scientology Links From Wikipedia Page

FL Senate Candidate David Jolly Tries To Edit Scientology Links From Wikipedia Page, Streisanding Those Links Everywhere.

Techdirt: FL Senate Candidate Tries To Edit Scientology Links From Wikipedia Page, Streisanding Those Links Everywhere.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160406/10003234120/fl-senate-candidate-tries-to-edit-scientology-links-wikipedia-page-streisanding-those-links-everywhere.shtml

After reciting the reasons given by the Jolly campaign for making the edits, Techdirt responded:

from the hail-thetan dept

[SNIP]

Except that none of that appears to be true. By all accounts, the sections which Bascom's firm deleted from Jolly's Wikipedia page were heavily sourced and most of the contributions that were disappeared had been put into the page well over a year ago. It would take some Nostradamus-level seeing skills for a rival Senatorial prospect to edit Jolly's Wikepedia page to include damning information years in advance of the campaign actually taking place. And, even if we are dealing with a political prognosticator here, the sections were sourced. Note that nothing in the quote above suggests that the campaign was editing out lies. It only says that it edited the page to be consistent with Jolly's current public bio, that of a Republican senatorial candidate.

One section dealt with Jolly's long history with the Church of Scientology, including financial contributions he's gained from them and his attendance at political rallies hosted by the group. That was all replaced by the campaign with information detailing Jolly's work on flood insurance relief and his committment to reducing government spending. Another section detailed Jolly's career as a lobbyist, replacing that with his history of business ownership in the private sector.
When Buzzfeed mentioned to Bascom that the original page contributions were done by long-time Wikipedia editors, in one case an award-winning editor, she repeated her claim that one of them worked for a rival's campaign. When asked to name that campaign?

“I have been told by numerous people who is behind it, but I can’t use that,” she said. “That would be unethical.”

P.S. The introductory statement "from the hail-thetan dept" is clearly incorrect. All right thinking people know the correct salutation is "from the hail-Xenu dept."

CommunicatorIC

Tampa Bay Times: Senate candidate touts his lousy showing in Florida Insider Poll

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-b...lousy-showing-in-florida-insider-poll/2272354

Todd Wilcox, the Orlando businessman, former Special Forces commander, and first time candidate running for U.S. Senate sent out a press release/note to supporters this afternoon touting his weak numbers in the latest Tampa Bay Times Florida Insider Poll of Florida operatives, fundraisers, lobbyists, academics, politicians and assorted other members of Florida's poliical intelligentsia.

[SNIPPED]

The Tampa Bay Times today released an unscientific poll of less than 150 Floridians they, the mainstream media, have deemed "players in Florida politics" and I couldn't be more pleased with the results, considering the source.

Congressman David Jolly's campaign got caught trying to erase his record as a K Street lobbyist, ties to the Church of Scientology and his past support for same sex marriage from the internet. No worries - 37% of the Florida king-makers, fellow lobbyists, and politicians polled are standing by their man.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
"One section dealt with Jolly's long history with the Church of Scientology, including financial contributions he's gained from them and his attendance at political rallies hosted by the group."

?? Political rallies hosted by the group. ??? :confused2: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get it now...scientology is not a religious group because the IRS gave them 501(c)(3) exemption ....oh wait:confused2:.... maybe Monique E. Yingling could explain....or is she too busy being Mr Jolly's tax lawyer?

CommunicatorIC

After Jolly campaign scrubs Wikipedia entry re Scientology, COS CCHR praises Jolly

After David Jolly campaign for Senate scrubs Wikipedia entry regarding Scientology, Scientology CCHR praises Jolly for legislation questioning role of psychiatric treatment in veteran suicides.

Code:
http://www.cchrint.org/2016/04/08/legislation-will-investigate-psych-drugs-and-veteran-suicides/

* * * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Federal Legislation Proposes Investigating Connection Between Psychiatric Drugs and Veteran Suicides

By Kelly Patricia O’Meara
Published by CCHR
The Mental Health Watchdog
April 7, 2016

Finally, federal legislation has been introduced that specifically addresses the connection between psychiatric drugs and the role they play in the increased number of veteran suicides.

Florida Congressman, David Jolly (R-FL 13), determined to understand the reasons behind the staggering number of veterans taking their own lives, has submitted legislation calling for a review of veterans suicide deaths over the last five years, studying the psychotropic drugs prescribed to veterans at the time of their death.[1]

The Citizens Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), a mental health industry watchdog, applauds Congressman Jolly’s legislation, the Veteran Suicide Prevention Act (H.R. 4640).
[2] While many studies and reviews have been conducted by a host of government entities to determine the causes behind the increased number of veteran and military suicides,[3] Congressman Jolly’s legislation is the only review to specifically question the psychiatric drug treatments that have become the mainstay of military/veteran mental health care.

HT - Intergalactic Walrus on The Underground Bunker: http://tonyortega.org/2016/04/09/sc...i-disconnection-billboard/#comment-2615444772

EDITED TO ADD:

Code:
http://www.cchrint.org/2016/04/08/legislation-will-investigate-psych-drugs-and-veteran-suicides/

attachment.php

Attachments

• CCHR-PraisesDavidJolly.PNG
    CCHR-PraisesDavidJolly.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think that CCHR should do a study on the causal relationship between moonshine and the brightness of stars in the heavens of this Gul-axy. I am sure they could prove some bias and sell a new brand of cheese to boot. The mental gear shifting powered by stuck down 7 in a paranoid megalomaniacs sribblings and utterances are truly noisy indeed.
I wonder if congressman Jolly will soon visit a qualified ophthalmologist who might suggest an assist to clearer sight and thinking by having Jolly remove the crap from his mind and eyes.
Blindness another 'benefit' of scientology