What's new

Dean Wilbur Rhetoric Hubbard dianetics sicientology

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
In addition to Mike Rinder's points above...in the link....

Cult members, finishing up a Course or Auditing procedure....also had to write a success story....because...it was on the "Routing Form." I guess, the end of the routing form....was sitting at the "reg's" desk....being asked to pay for your next step on the bridge.

But my point is....on kinda gave up some self determinism....because "one had to write a success story..." as it was the thing "that was done.." and all those staff or SO.....HAD to get that routing form filled in correctly. As far as I can remember...the reg always looked at it. If the success story had not been attached to the routing form.....you weren't really finished.

If you didn't want to write a success story....you'd have been sent to Ethics....or MAA....

One went along to get along....so wanting to or not.....people wrote success stories.

Interesting implications as to other points made on this thread too....
Good thread Gib. There is so much information here to understand how Scientology and L Con Hubbard duped us into his evil cult. The Success story write up was part of the "control" - if you did not write up your "wins" - you could not finishe which meant more money, more time and if you were at Flag - you could not leave. So - you will search your mind to twist anything into wins. Also - you have been (unknowingly) put under a lot of stress if you went to Flag. You left your home and work - with no idea of when Flag will let you leave. Then you don't know if your spouse will stay with you when you come back. The $$$ you spent has put you in "effect" - debt.

The whole thing is very clever indeed.

Isn't it fun to untangle the "tek" and know how L Ron Hubbard duped people into Scientology Cult?

I am so grateful to everyone who helped post the truth about Scientology and what Hubbard stole from others (good and bad) to get us hooked and then get us out!

Happy New Year!!

I apprecaite all of you SP's. Let's keep suppressing Scientology. The truth works when you use it! KSS - Keep Suppressing Scientology. It works when standardly suppressed!! We are winning SP's and it will be another EPIC year of Fail for the cult!

Gib

Crusader

I had a realization today in reading this stuff again and since I acquired Dean Wilbur's book English Rhetoric. I haven't finished reading it but it's basically a college book on how to write using rhetoric literary devices of metaphor, hyperbole, etc. Actually similar to this book by Hugh Blair:

https://archive.org/stream/lecturesonrheto31blaigoog#page/n15/mode/2up

I recall Hubbard saying he was first and foremost a writer and in one lecture he said something like every story has a weenie, or something everybody wants or is trying to get.

And then it dawned on me, the story of dianetics and scientology, according to my little take on it, and not to say it's the truth, just a path I have gone down looking at Hubbard the writer which is odd and difficult for me since these references on writing, rhetoric, sublime are all new to me, I'm a english writing flunky in my upbringing.

Here it is:

The first weenie is clear, then later OT.

If ones latches onto those concepts and joins staff, the weenie becomes getting training/auditing for free, and then while on staff the weenie is going Old St Hill size for a well paid staff, the weenie of the Birthday game, and the weenie of getting the universe corps for the OT levels. The weenie of a cleared planet.

If ones joins the Sea Org, the weenie becomes a cleared planet, getting ethics in on the planet, free training and auditing up to the OT levels.

And then we have the weenies of the front groups.

I have probably missed a few weenies, there are so many sub weenies in it all. Oh, yah, power of all 8 dynamics, whew.

And the biggest joke of all is there are no clears, no OT's, no soul astronauts as Chuck Beatty says.

Anyways, just one person's journey and reporting in here on ESMB.

Gib

Crusader
Book II Chapter 3

"THE LEADERS OF CROWDS AND THEIR MEANS OF PERSUASION"

Here it is, a summary given by Le Bon, then he explains further each point:

"CHAPTER III
THE LEADERS OF CROWDS AND THEIR MEANS OF PERSUASION

1. THE LEADERS OF CROWDS. The instinctive need of all
beings forming a crowd to obey a leader--The psychology of the
leaders of crowds--They alone can endow crowds with faith and
organise them--The leaders forcibly despotic--Classification of
the leaders--The part played by the will. 2. THE MEANS OF
ACTION OF THE LEADERS. Affirmation, repetition, contagion
--The
respective part of these different factors--The way in which
contagion may spread from the lower to the upper classes in a
society--A popular opinion soon becomes a general opinion.
3. PRESTIGE. Definition of prestige and classification of its
different kinds--Acquired prestige and personal prestige--Various
examples--The way in which prestige is destroyed
."

Consider Affirmation. Those are success stories, the original Dianetics book had affirmation from Dr. Winter which helped to create the "books make booms" line Hubbard used later on, there are many affirmations Hubbard presents and w/o proof and Le Bon explains that as well.

Consider Repetition. Number of times over = certainty. Constant TR's are done by staff members. KSW at the beginning of every course, the quantity of letters out is what matters, not the quality, there are many more.

Consider Contagion. The two above reinforce contagion and propagate it. A perfect example is Terril Park unbeknownst to hisself.

Consider Prestige. The whole bridge to total freedom is one of prestige, status. Hubbard creates prestige from the get go in Dianetics, a clear is homo novis, and then OT is mystical being with powers, the Sea Org members are the elite of the elite, what do I think of auditors as the top smartest people on earth, on and on, Hubbard establishes Prestige along with the Affirmation, Repetition, and Contagion to create a crowd, a following, as delineated by Le Bon.

cross posted from another tread,

HH says it better than me (altitude is prestige, another trick by hubbard to gain a following, a crowd):

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ology-PART-2&p=1090842&viewfull=1#post1090842

"From the Scientology Tech Dictionary:

ALTITUDE: 1. a prestige which the auditor has in the eyes of the preclear. Asomewhat artificial position of the auditor which gives the preclear greaterconfidence and therefore greater ability to run than he would otherwise have.(SOS Gloss) 2 . a difference of level of prestige—one in a higher altitudecarries conviction to one on a lower altitude merely because ofaltitude. (D MS M H, p. 343)

That first definition by Dr. Hubbard is rather interesting. Note well the part in red:

ALTITUDE: 1. a prestige which the auditor has in the eyes of the preclear. A somewhat artificial position of the auditor which gives the preclear greater confidence and therefore greater ability to run than he would otherwise have.

This dynamic principle ("Altitude") in fact applies globally to all things in Scientology.

Example:

ALTITUDE: 1. A prestige which the
auditor registrar has in the eyes of the preclear. A somewhat artificial position of the auditor registrar which gives the preclear greater confidence and therefore greater ability to run donate than he would otherwise have."

I looked at my tech dictionary and HH's definition as he/she posted of "altitude" is actually verbatim, no joke, if you have a tech dictionary look it up to verify.

Prestige, that explains the SO wearing their blue navy uniforms, only to create in the minds of followers prestige. The whole org board is one of prestige, altitude. The whole chart of human evaluation is one of altitude. The whole bridge to total freedom is one of altitude. And all it is agreement if you are a member and read Hubbard, he manages to make you agree.

And yet no "clears" or "OT's".

Jump

Operating teatime
cross posted from another tread,

HH says it better than me (altitude is prestige, another trick by hubbard to gain a following, a crowd):

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...ology-PART-2&p=1090842&viewfull=1#post1090842

I looked at my tech dictionary and HH's definition as he/she posted of "altitude" is actually verbatim, no joke, if you have a tech dictionary look it up to verify.

Prestige, that explains the SO wearing their blue navy uniforms, only to create in the minds of followers prestige. The whole org board is one of prestige, altitude. The whole chart of human evaluation is one of altitude. The whole bridge to total freedom is one of altitude. And all it is agreement if you are a member and read Hubbard, he manages to make you agree.

And yet no "clears" or "OT's".

So eve Dean Wilbur didn't mention attire as a form of rhetoric. But there it is - in your face.

The whole thing is a game .. of charades.

Thanks Gib & HH.

Hatshepsut

Crusader
When I was involved with the little mission there were two execs who worked with Ron in Phoenix. They put together that Golden Dawn magazine then. Everything was about creating an illusion of 'altitude'. They voiced this a lot. A great mystery was woven around the founder. Around the OT levels and 'magic' happening as a result of auditing. I was in awe....gobsmacked. The anecdotes reminiscing about the times with Ron kept coming. A book called Reminiscence With Ron was being written.

The game was to place the public in a 'role' and get them to assign you a lofty 'role'.Then, one day, a committee of evidence's findings were tacked on the bulletin board and all the girls looked at each other in disbelief. Each had been bamboozled and none of our donations had gone to grow the org, but to develop inventiions in hopes of gaining even more altitude. So, I guess holding lofty positiions is addicting. The secret tech on creating an aura of mystery and maintaining your altitude was leaked to me early on as if I was specially 'selected' to receive the gift. Whuddaracket.

Gib

Crusader
When I was involved with the little mission there were two execs who worked with Ron in Phoenix. They put together that Golden Dawn magazine then. Everything was about creating an illusion of 'altitude'. They voiced this a lot. A great mystery was woven around the founder. Around the OT levels and 'magic' happening as a result of auditing. I was in awe....gobsmacked. The anecdotes reminiscing about the times with Ron kept coming. A book called Reminiscence With Ron was being written.

The game was to place the public in a 'role' and get them to assign you a lofty 'role'.Then, one day, a committee of evidence's findings were tacked on the bulletin board and all the girls looked at each other in disbelief. Each had been bamboozled and none of our donations had gone to grow the org, but to develop inventiions in hopes of gaining even more altitude. So, I guess holding lofty positiions is addicting. The secret tech on creating an aura of mystery and maintaining your altitude was leaked to me early on as if I was specially 'selected' to receive the gift. Whuddaracket.

yah, once I realized Clear and OT didn't exist, this was the period jan 1 to about july 2012, why all the altitude of Clear, OT, sea org people and their getting ethics in on the planet wearing a uniform, the Org Board, why all those altitudes & mystery went tumbling down in my mind, and Hubbards mocked up altitude of hisself as well, yes, what a racket. And I had not read Dean Wilbur nor Rhetoric nor Le Bon at that time. Reading about it now explains the why since Hubbard read those works of literature. I think Le Bon's works best explain Hubbards applying his works to create a following and it kicked in fully with KSW and his subsequent "turning it up to survive in a big way" as scientology progressed as a cult from that time forward.

People here and elsewhere have figured it out, only using different words to explain, and that they have done very well as I wouldn't be here as a result, but knowing the source of Hubbards bastardization & corruption of those works can be helpful for some, I hope.

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I had a realization today in reading this stuff again and since I acquired Dean Wilbur's book English Rhetoric. I haven't finished reading it but it's basically a college book on how to write using rhetoric literary devices of metaphor, hyperbole, etc. Actually similar to this book by Hugh Blair:

https://archive.org/stream/lecturesonrheto31blaigoog#page/n15/mode/2up

I recall Hubbard saying he was first and foremost a writer and in one lecture he said something like every story has a weenie, or something everybody wants or is trying to get.

And then it dawned on me, the story of dianetics and scientology, according to my little take on it, and not to say it's the truth, just a path I have gone down looking at Hubbard the writer which is odd and difficult for me since these references on writing, rhetoric, sublime are all new to me, I'm a english writing flunky in my upbringing.

Here it is:

The first weenie is clear, then later OT.

If ones latches onto those concepts and joins staff, the weenie becomes getting training/auditing for free, and then while on staff the weenie is going Old St Hill size for a well paid staff, the weenie of the Birthday game, and the weenie of getting the universe corps for the OT levels. The weenie of a cleared planet.

If ones joins the Sea Org, the weenie becomes a cleared planet, getting ethics in on the planet, free training and auditing up to the OT levels.

And then we have the weenies of the front groups.

I have probably missed a few weenies, there are so many sub weenies in it all. Oh, yah, power of all 8 dynamics, whew.

And the biggest joke of all is there are no clears, no OT's, no soul astronauts as Chuck Beatty says.

Anyways, just one person's journey and reporting in here on ESMB.

Scientology - the "science" of chasing a weenie on a stick

9k=
9k=

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader

Gib

Crusader
A perfect example of Hubbards use of Rhetoric:

http://tonyortega.org/2016/06/02/sc...es-about-himself-never-get-old/#disqus_thread

Gotta luv the the best post and proceeding comments:

"Cupcakes for Breakfast 16 hours ago

I need to spruce up my resume, and I think I'm gonna try Hubbards route. As a former supermodel (I've been photographed before) who studied at Duke (I visited once), I have a doctorate in Psych (Bachelors), and now spend my days brokering delicate peace treaties in hostile territories.(I work in a high school and live with two preteen daughters). Think it'll fly?"

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
The scientology onion:

http://exscn.net/content/view/178/105/

I believe Hubbard used Le Bon's works as I mentioned above and I have to thank Face for pointing me in the right direction, here is a summary:

http://rationalangle.blogspot.com/2007/10/crowd-study-of-popular-mind-notes.html

an excerpt:

-Crowds are swayed by images, words, and formulas.
- As soon as living beings are gathered together, they place themselves under a chief.
- Leaders are typically men of action rather than thinkers.
- The multitude is always ready to listen to the strong willed man.
- It is the need not of liberty but of servitude that is always predominant in the soul of crowds.
- To imbue the mind of a crowd with ideas and beliefs, the leaders must use affirmation, repetition and contagion.
- Affirmation, free of reasoning, is one of the surest means to enter mind of crowd.
- Affirmation has no real influence unless it is constantly repeated.
- Napoleon: only one figure in rhetoric of serious important, namely, repetition.
(This section reminded me of the use of propaganda in Nazi Germany)
- After affirmation and opinion, a current of opinion is formed and it is contagious. Imitation is in reality an effect of contagion."

Substitute Crowd with Scientologist. Comparing to the scientology onion, we have 3 crowds:

first layer or crowd is the public, as a person does more and more (indoctrination), they get recruited for staff usually at the org or mission level if they really fall for scientology, like I did.

second layer or crowd is being on staff. One gets more indoctrination via training, policy letters, bulletin's etc.

third layer or crowd is joining the Sea Org, the hard core crowd fully indoctrinated and now become even more hard core thru more training, secret (not public) SO policies, etc. The SO crowd can be subdivided into yet more crowds, OSA, INT, etc - the org board.

Another excerpt from the article, this happened to me via the Debbie Cook email, the beginning for me:

"- The precise moment at which a great belief is doomed is easily recognizable; it is the moment when its value begins to be called in question. Every general belief being little else than fiction, it can only survive on the condition that it not be subjected to examination.
- The opinions of crowd tends to become the supreme guiding principles in politics.
- The idea of prestige is very important in leading crowds.
- On societies- the inevitable decline is always marked by the weakening of the ideal that was the mainstay of the race."

Thank you Debbie Cook and all you old guards, and the internet, whistleblowers, bloggers, wogs, and so on. :thumbsup:

Gib

Crusader
I think this is a interesting article:

http://stormcloudsgathering.com/rule-from-the-shadows-the-psychology-of-power-part-1

an excerpt:

"[FONT=&amp]Sigmund Freud, Edward Bernays and Walter Lippmann all subscribed to a school of thought that was first put forth in 1895 by a French social psychologist named Gustave Le Bon. Le Bon wrote several books, the famous of which was entitled "Psychologie des Foules”. It was translated into English as "The Crowd: A Study of the Popular Mind".

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"The Crowd" was a revolutionary piece of work. In it Le Bon not only presented an in depth description of group psychology and how it differed from individual psychology but he also outlined a very simple set of principles that enable leaders to spark ideological contagion and thereby rise to power.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Hitler, Goebbels, and Mussolini all studied Le Bon's writings and applied his techniques to the letter. The results they attained were precisely those that Le Bon claimed that they would have. Funny how they leave that little detail out of most history books don't you think?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=&amp]What made Bernays so successful was his skill in applying of 3 psychological tactics:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1. Creating carefully calculated associations with the subconscious fears and desires of individuals.
2. Influencing opinion leaders and perceived authority figures in order to reach those who followed them.
3. Initiating the contagion of behaviors and ideas through social conformity."
[/FONT]

It's important to note that the term "crowd" does not necessarily mean a gathering of people at a event, but the ideas implanted into an individual to form an abstract crowd in the mind, ie the scientologist. Example being somebody who is a Republician, but never goes to any conventions. I'm reminded of Hubbard's "Credo of a Group Member".

Point number 3 by Bernay is perfectly explained in Terra Cognita post at Mike Rinder blog:

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/the-knowledge-report/

And Tony O blog post today follows in line, interestingly:

http://tonyortega.org/2016/08/21/wh...tend-one-of-its-interfaith-farces/#more-33464

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think this is a interesting article:

http://stormcloudsgathering.com/rule-from-the-shadows-the-psychology-of-power-part-1

an excerpt:

It's important to note that the term "crowd" does not necessarily mean a gathering of people at a event, but the ideas implanted into an individual to form an abstract crowd in the mind, ie the scientologist. Example being somebody who is a Republician, but never goes to any conventions. I'm reminded of Hubbard's "Credo of a Group Member".

Point number 3 by Bernay is perfectly explained in Terra Cognita post at Mike Rinder blog:

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/the-knowledge-report/

And Tony O blog post today follows in line, interestingly:

http://tonyortega.org/2016/08/21/wh...tend-one-of-its-interfaith-farces/#more-33464

Great post!

I just posted a thread about "never apologizing" and I recall how strange I thought that was when I got into Scientology. I read the tech that L Ron Hubbard wrote - he said "NEVER apologize".

This implanted suggestion makes some very arrogant and unsavory personalities within the cult.

It is in the "group think" - never say your sorry!

chuckbeatty

Patron with Honors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Varieties_of_Religious_Experience

To me, Scientology is just another "soul" rabbit hole belief system, and it has legs as all "new religions" who can manage to label themselves something close to a "religion" for USA legal cover angle like Hubbard did.

USA freedoms to run fake religions whose members believe they are real religions, thus get religion stamp of US approval. William James would even agree Hubbard's Scientology passes the religion litmus test.

That's a problem it'll take people as smart or smarter than Urban and Kent, to deal with.

That whole sub-field of who gets to call themselves a religion, is a sub subject.

Jeffrey Augustine made the point somewhere on Tony's site, that Scientology's being a religion that loses its tax exemption, ought to be the avenue that needs intellectual support.

Scientology could retain the label religion, but lose it's tax exemption for failing the other criteria for tax exemption.

Years ago, a lady in Italy did a paper at one of the cult conferences that Ursula Caberta was attending, and that Italian ex Scientologist's paper was quite a start into the Scientology do-gooder front groups.

The Scientology front groups, or any of the other activities, Volunteer Ministers is one that smacks of the "religion angle" "help" to society, would need constant exposing.

If Scientology in the US can keep up their Volunteer Ministers' play help acting, enough to satisfy IRS oversight persons, then Scientology will be able to keep it's religion angle IRS "win."

It's all so dismal how thorough Scientology's got its charade angles covered.

So evaporating them by word of mouth and media (TV and books) public opinion, seems the only also inevitable future.

The Scientology Ideal Orgs are just a tiny bit more active than the Christian Science reading rooms. That'd be an interesting college or grad student comparative "new religion" paper.

I wonder if there are a bunch of "science" angle academic papers, re Scientology and Christian Science's both lack of science proof of their "science" claims.

Ron's dying comments to Sarge Steven Pfauth in the "Going Clear...." HBO special documentary I wish would show up somewhere and get played so the Scientologists get that info already!

Gib

Crusader
I googled "scientology and rhetoric" and found this article a few pages into the search by a Professor Peter J Marston, CSU, and it mentions scientology:

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/the_rhetoric_of_extraordinary_claim

He wrote it for CSI, not the church CSI, although I would state any investigation into hubbard and his tactics is a Crime Scene Investigation. LOL, but true.

The title for the article is quite apt for scientology since the bridge to total freedom and it's substeps, and the L's & Super Power, etc are extraordinary claims.

I realized something while reading the article and I feel it's part of the glue that got me stuck to hubbard/scientology. My background prior to scientology was very poor in history, philosophy. religion and I never heard of rhetoric. Chris Shelton is doing a great job of dissecting the book by Lewis on his you tube vids, but there is a missing.

Here are some snips that I wish to point out:

"The fourth and final of Aristotle’s categories is delivery—the ways in which tone of voice, vocal phrasing, gestures, and other aspects of the physical performance of speech can contribute to persuasion. Delivery is not germane, of course, to the analysis of written texts, but much discourse advancing extraordinary claims takes place through speech, as in a séance or the recruiting protocols of Scientology, or through forms of recorded speech, such as infomercials or the many paranormal and cryptozoological programs popular on television."

"
Although delivery, like most of Aristotle’s latter categories, is rarely mentioned in traditional critical thinking approaches, it is clear that it can be very important in advancing extraordinary claims. The dramatic and sometimes otherworldly intonations of a medium at a séance, the measured pedantry of those presenting themselves as medical experts in infomercials, or the unmeasured enthusiasm of those providing testimonials for alternative treatments probably contribute as much to the persuasive appeal of the discourse as any of Aristotle’s categories."

Although Marston mentions scientology recruiting, what he does not mention nor probably even know is the vast amount of recorded lectures hubbard did. And he did tons more than books. Hubbard was very shrewd to record these and have us members listen to them. Every lecture was a rhetoric 1 hour speech to persuade. In the beginning we have the clapping which sets the mood as people are admiring Hubbard and happy to listen to the lecture. Hubbard is very jovial and cracks jokes, tells stories inbetween his main points.

When "The Basics" came out, all staff & public were ordered to do them. The basics were not just books but also the lectures, lots of them, that went with the books and put into course format with checksheets.

Our latest member here started a tread:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?42591-hi-guys-and-gals&p=1113233#post1113233

he which he/she mentions this "my father is a 'clear' who with NED audited eight others to 'clear' and now freelances as a field auditor and listens to lrh's lectures sometimes on a daily basis".

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Great thread Gib. Just ordered Wilbur's book on rhetoric on amazon. Lebon's work is quite revealing. Hubs talked about a lot of things but didn't do much talking about those principles - the exact ones he was using to build his little empire.

Gib

Crusader
There are tons of play makers in the world, or creator of games. Every business on earth is a creator of games, and if successful, why it creates jobs. Real tangible products.

Well not every business, some are intangible.

Gib

Crusader
Hubbard said he was first and foremost a writer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drama

Hubbards PDC's talk about "games" and rules for such just as the link explains.

Hubbard was a "play maker"

Just putting thoughts to paper here.

In the tech dictionary there is this word called "dramatization". One of the major themes of dianetics is that one is dramatizing an engram. Ron, the writer, first convinces us we have a reactive mind, R6 bank, and then tells us we are dramatizing it and then how to remove engrams, the bank so as to achieve a state of existence known as "clear" and then "OT".

I love the last definition. Here, Ron, the play maker, the game maker, puts all scientologists on his org board, including public or paying customers:

"When dramatizing, the individual is like an actor playing his dictated part and going through a whole series of irrational actions."

Everybody involved in scientology were playing their dictated parts.

In definition number 3 we have dramtis personae. But, people do not dramatize engrams. LOL

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
In reading Mike Rinder blog today, we have the continuing story of a messenger, who interacted with Ron aboard the Apollo.

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/lois-jory-reisdorf-story-part-4-1977/

One of the things mentioned that stood out for me was Hubbard's not being able to give advice on a marriage to this messenger. And yet Hubbard wrote, Ron the writer, so many things about the 2D. And yet also wrote HCOB's, the Tech, the 8 dynamics, about sex and then how the psych's invented sex to aberrate, pain and sex, or something like that.

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/lois-jory-reisdorf-story-part-4-1977/

"[FONT=&amp]On the morning of my wedding, Kima had put my hair in curlers and we were getting the Palms home ready for the wedding. A messenger came to the house and told me I had to go and see LRH immediately, I was frantic as I had curlers in my hair, but she told me to just come. When I got to LRH’s house, he took me for a walk around his property of the Rifle house. It was very sweet and he said that first off he cannot give me too much advice as he himself did not have a good success with the 2D. That shook me a bit at the time as I thought he was perfect at everything! But overall his talk was sweet and he told me that he thought Gary was a great, handsome young man and he was happy for us. It was a special time for me."[/FONT]