What's new

Elisabeth Moss talks Scientology and “The Handmaids Tale”

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Well sort of ... :eyeroll: Usual PR :blah::blah:
Honestly it makes you want to shake them awake.

Elisabeth Moss talks Scientology and “The Handmaids Tale,” at last

Instagram user moelybank wrote, “Love this adaptation so much. Question though, does it make you think twice about Scientology? Both Gilead and Scientology both believe that all outside sources (aka news) are wrong or evil… it’s just very interesting.”

Moss responded, “That’s actually not true at all about Scientology.” She added, “Religious freedom and tolerance and understanding the truth and equal rights for every race, religion and creed are extremely important to me. The most important things to me probably. And so Gilead and THT hit me on a very personal level. Thanks for the interesting question!”

http://www.salon.com/2017/08/17/elizabeth-moss-scientology-the-handmaids-tale/

JustSheila

Crusader
Thanks for the quote, FTS.

It's such a nonsensical response. :duh: Not only is Elizabeth Moss's answer completely off-topic, it's such a spokeshole response that one wonders if she has completely lost all capability to think.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
A snippet from one of the many comments on the article linked to above.

"She is a scientologist who simply cannot even process, and will disregard anything that messes with her self perception of being a good person, which is wrapped up entirely in her self image as a scientologist."

Ring any bells?

Last edited:

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Elisabeth is a child victim too and I hope one day she becomes aware of that fact. She's done some wonderful work, I've liked her in everything I have seen, yet there is always an undercurrent of serious sadness.

Just out of interest I went looking for pics of her dad, Ron Moss. I used to sometimes watch the band at the local pub when I was a teen, it was always a happy and social time. My buddy Tom Armistead was a total wizz on the piano, I wonder what happened to him. I still have a photo of him from his wedding day, he returned to the US and I never heard from him again. And David Dunlop was such a gentle man and incredible at Spanish guitar, my family had connections to him and his wife for a long time. Though this is so very long ago it's one of the memories that stay. Photos further down the page here, you can see how much Elisabeth resembles her dad.

https://tonyortega.org/2016/05/02/a...s-whata-you-didnt-get-to-hear/comment-page-2/

We just have to keep speaking out. No doubt she is well protected from the normal world, God help her.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Elisabeth Moss deletes her Instagram comment defending Scientology

Elisabeth Moss deletes her Instagram comment defending Scientology.

She Knows: Elisabeth Moss Made a Short-Lived Statement Defending Scientology

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/articles/1135706/elisabeth-moss-defends-scientology

by Christina Marfice

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

[SNIP]

On Instagram, she shared a photo of herself attending an event for The Handmaid's Tale, writing in the caption, "Love this adaptation so much."

In the comments, one follower wrote, "Question though, does it make you think twice about Scientology? Both Gilead and Scientology both believe that all outside sources (AKA news) are wrong or evil…it's just very interesting."

Moss responded directly to the question, writing, "That's actually not true at all about Scientology. Religious freedom and tolerance and understanding the truth and equal rights for every race, religion, and creed are extremely important to me. The most important things to me probably. And so Gilead and THT hit me on a very personal level. Thanks for the interesting question!"

She later deleted the entire post, then reposted the photo with comments closed. Elle grabbed a screenshot of the comments before she did that.

We don't know why Moss would make a rare statement in support of the church and then suddenly delete it, but it only raises more questions about the secretive nature of Scientology.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
As an ex public scientologist myself I know how Elisabeth Moss must feel. She probably goes through every day hoping no one mentions scientology to her because it is so embarrassing to discuss it.

Get out Elisabeth. It's the only solution.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
It's such a nonsensical response. :duh: Not only is Elizabeth Moss's answer completely off-topic, it's such a spokeshole response that one wonders if she has completely lost all capability to think.

I think you are precisely correct. It IS a "spokeshole response", as in it was almost certainly written for her by a Scn PR person. I strongly doubt Scientology would allow a celeb to make a public statement regarding Scientology which was not approved ALL the way uplines.

I doubt she even has access to the Instagram, twitter, etc accounts which are set up in her name.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I think you are precisely correct. It IS a "spokeshole response", as in it was almost certainly written for her by a Scn PR person. I strongly doubt Scientology would allow a celeb to make a public statement regarding Scientology which was not approved ALL the way uplines.

I doubt she even has access to the Instagram, twitter, etc accounts which are set up in her name.

Just spotted your new sig. From Ayn Rand to Noam Chomsky, whew, that's a bit of a leap innit? Seen the light at last have you? :biggrin:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

Expanding on this, even if she wasn't a Scn, these days EVERY celebrity probably gets something like the following speech from their agent :

You will hand over ALL your social media access to me. I will NOT risk having you blow up your career with some drunken 3am twitter rant. You will NOT indulge in fantasies of being Donald Trump. If you have something you want to say on social media, you will relay it to me and your PR, and WE will send it for you, IF we all agree it's a good idea. Or you can find another agent.​

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks for the link FTS, and the pic of the band playing in one of the Castle course rooms. I remember David & Pam, and the others.

I just started watching The Handmaid's Tale a couple of days ago, now up to Episode 7. Powerful stuff: most dystopian movies/series are so fantasy-based they don't impinge, but this one is so close to what could easily happen (aspects of it, anyway) that it bites. And her acting is very good.

Paul

Last edited:

FormerScn

Patron
I just started watching the Handmaid's Tale. It's very good. She's very good. I hope she gets out one day.
It is very good. And she is brilliant in it.

Obviously Scientology is working for her and her own life. I would love to see her use her power as a celebrity to pressure DM into leaving, or at least making reforms. But I see no reason she has to leave Scientology just because I did.

Elizabeth Moss is a very smart, very funny, very hardworking, very "together" person. She would never engage in the abuse of anyone. She is not Tom Cruise.

If she wants to be a Scientologist, I think I will let her be one.

Last edited:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
Powerful stuff: most dystopian movies/series are so fantasy-based they don't impinge, but this one is so close to what could easily happen (aspects of it, anyway) that it bites. And her acting is very good.
I agree. It's the same with Black Mirror. Horrifying not just for its content, but that this stuff could actually happen, and in some instances, it could be argued, is actually happening.

FormerScn

Patron
For the record, I can't hate or even dislike Elizabeth Moss because she's a Scientologist.

I was a Scientologist. So were most of you.
I so agree with you.

The whole time I was watching this show, I kept thinking, "I'm supposed to be resentful of this woman for being a Scientologist."

I finally realized "Fuck it. She is not responsible for the evil in Scientology. She is not the target".

I felt much better after that. And I was able to enjoy this great actress' performance in this great series so much more.

I thought about Juliet Lewis in "August: Osage County" who was brilliant next to Meryl Streep. I thought about how I kept being resentful of her while I watched that movie, thinking "damn she's good, but I hate her, remember?"

Fuck it. I am done with this resentment against regular Scientologists who never harmed anyone.

DM is the target, not Elizabeth Moss.