ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

email hacks

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Mimsey Borogrove, Jan 16, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

I'm not an expert on computer viruses and stuff, but these programs are designed to have a function (like a keylogger for example). By the time his computer 'looks infected' it may have done its job and collected all his passwords and other critical information. It's a scary business what with all this malware on the 'net.

2. phenomanon

phenomanon Canyon

Between Malware and swarms of BTs infecting programs, the user is at the mercy of his machine.

3. DagwoodGum

DagwoodGum Squirreling Dervish

Thanks Free, I downloaded the Commodo program and by default it ran the quick scan and came up with nothing so I ran the full scan which took well over an hour and low and behold I had 2 Trojan Viruses and it cleaned them and now my computer sizzles like it did when it was new. Excellent program and I can upgrade to the pro version for only $19.95 which may not even be necessary.

freethinker likes this.
  4. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

That's good news DG. Did Commodo say what these trojans were and what they were supposed to be doing on your computer? They must have been installed for a reason don't you think?

5. DagwoodGum

One of them was downloaded as part of a bogus Mozilla Firefox update that I apparently accepted as legitimate. The other one said, but I didn't recognize what it had to do with. I guess I'll be a little more careful about what updates I accept on my computer. But it's nice to know that you have a program that will bail you out for any mistakes you make, I'm tempted to pay the $20 for the pro version because it could prove invaluable, and for only $20, why not?

6. F.Bullbait

F.Bullbait Oh, a wise guy,eh?

General reminder: be sure to totally remove your old anti-virus program before installing another one.

The exception to this might be Windows 10's built-in anti-virus program. I know that Avast removes it as part of the installation. Check your program's installation instructions. ;)

7. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

Because it found a couple of threats you should run their Cleaning Essentials. Do not run the full scan as that will take hours, run the smart scan.

It does require a restart to run it because it looks for rootkits buried deep that can only be spotted on reboot.

https://help.comodo.com/topic-119-1-328-3523-.html

8. DagwoodGum

Yeah, it told me to reboot in order to activate the installation in it's entirelty. I'll look for the cleaning essentials but right now I'm riding the win of having my computer crack and sizzle like it did when new. I had wondered why it wasn't running faster now that I'm on the 5G interet and now I know I'd had at least the 2 Trojans that it found right away.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  9. dchoiceisalwaysrs

dchoiceisalwaysrs Gold Meritorious Patron

I looked at that page and it essentially has 2 different articles on it. They are not addressing the same subjects. Also I think you are not recognizing that an IP phone is not the same as a regular phone (at least as I understand it) Think of a regular phone like a kettle and an IP phone as a complex stereo & video and recording studio all mixed into one.

Although not a perfect analogy, in a similar way you don't change your car engine or transmission or electrical system each time you drive, the Firmware is usually not needed to be changed in a computer.
    Firmware is essentially a control sequence of how the hardware pieces interact in certain sequences in order to keep a computer carrying out the shifting of data (electrical fields and impulses). It can be however changed, usually by higher than the normal voltage. but to change it one needs to know the specific characteristics and arrangements of computer parts on say a (motherboard= the basic roads interconnecting all the hardware parts that have been chosen for the computer. So if you don't have an extremely high level of knowledge about your device's inner parts, then check with your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) for any possible updates. I won't get into how hackers can manipulate that firmware, mostly because I don't know although I can guess at some techniques.....

The IP phone has these low level procedures originally loaded in at the late stage of assembly according to how the single or multi part electrical device is assembled and which parts need to interact with others to 'just run'

This might help you: https://www.howtogeek.com/210186/what-is-the-difference-between-bios-and-firmware/

10. lotus

lotus stubborn rebel sheep!

@phenomanon You are on your way to become an expert in both :D