What's new

Entire June 28, 2010 proceedings now on YouTube

Human Again

Silver Meritorious Patron
Music to my ears. I rather liked the aethiest Foundations opening statement. :thumbsup:

I must admit to a great deal of disgust that we also tax exempt huge wealthy organisations like the catholic church while there are uninvestigated abuse allegations.

My preference: sort out your charitable sections from your self-promotion and member benefit components.Pay tax on the latter no matter what and if you can show the former are beneficial to the public at large tax break plus.

FoTi

Crusader
So, Larry Brennan's talk was all done in camera? I guess that means that we can't hear what he had to say? :confused2:

hartley

Patron with Honors
Thank you to everyone for this, another fine example of what happens when you lift the stone and expose the creepy crawlies to sunlight.

My main comment is rather off topic. There were as I recall adverse comments on ESMB when Senator Xenophon made his original attack on the CoS in the Senate to the effect that 'where were the Senators - he was speaking to an almost empty chamber'!!

Well this is why, and I'm sure our Aussie ex-members now understand why. Such comments are based on a profound misunderstanding of how modern Parliaments work. Some of those 'absent' Senators would have been in committees like this, as they are in the UK, the USA and most other democracies, actually WORKING instead of sitting listening.

I'm old enough to recall the US Senate inquiry into Watergate, riveting stuff in which the principal players (apart from Deep Throat) were called to account. It was this Inquiry that destroyed a President.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Watergate_Committee

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
We've never doubted Xenophon for a moment, Hartley. He wasn't speaking to a near empty Senate Chamber, he was speaking to Australia and he was speaking for us. :thumbsup:

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
So, Larry Brennan's talk was all done in camera? I guess that means that we can't hear what he had to say? :confused2:
We'll probably get to hear what Larry had to say when the time is right. Then again, we probably already know what Larry had to say, he's posted many thoroughly enlightening missives on the net.

Carmel

Crusader
We've never doubted Xenophon for a moment, Hartley. He wasn't speaking to a near empty Senate Chamber, he was speaking to Australia and he was speaking for us. :thumbsup:
Yeah Panda, he was.

All the Senators have big tv screens in their office, and get a live feed of what's going on. Often, only those who want to speak are actually sitting in, and often they'll come and go as they need to.

The "chamber" may well have been empty back in November when Senator Xenophon first addressed parliament about the CofS, but the majority of Senators were watching it live from their office. Others would have caught up with it with a recording of it, or read the Hansard. The same applies to the committee hearing last week.

Yep, these guys all work hard, and do many things at the same time, coz there's not the luxury of hours in the day to fit it all in otherwise.

Lucretia

Patron with Honors
I listen to it all and found it intensely interesting - not just from an exes point of view, but to also see how committees work and how seriously they appear to be taken. Senator Cameron impressed me with his direct and intelligent questions, and I was very interested in the UK and NZ experience of our proposed legislation.

Did you notice the make up of the $cn contingent - sweet young thing representing her church, attractive firebrand lawyer fighting for truth and freedom and an older respectable male authority figure? Carefully chosen no doubt.

There's just so much you can do with initial impressions. There were footbullets everywhere. I don't think the senate committee would have been impressed by the sweet young thing's opening remark that only a few percent of senate committees ever result in a change to the law. Or the firebrand lawyer telling the committee that it was illegally constituted, but the coup de grace was the respectable bloke saying the 300% decline in $cn NZ income after the NZ legislation was brought in was due to poor exchange rates, and then was unable to say what the exchange rates were because he didn't follow them! They all looked ridiculous.

Does any one know what happens now? Will a potential change of government nullify the committee, given that it was a labour government who directed the committee in the first place?

It seemed to me that the sentiment on the whole was in favour of a proof of benefit scheme. I guess the committee is retiring to consider the best way to formulate an Oz version.

Carmel

Crusader
<snip>
Does any one know what happens now? Will a potential change of government nullify the committee, given that it was a labour government who directed the committee in the first place?
<snip>
A potential change of Govt won't change anything in regard to the inquiry, because it was directed and done by the Senate, not the Govt.

It looks like the upcoming Federal election is or will cause delays in proceedings, but that's it. We'll just have to wait a little longer until the election is over and until things settle after that.

FoTi

Crusader
A potential change of Govt won't change anything in regard to the inquiry, because it was directed and done by the Senate, not the Govt.

It looks like the upcoming Federal election is or will cause delays in proceedings, but that's it. We'll just have to wait a little longer until the election is over and until things settle after that.

So, what will happen next?

shawneyfish29

Great Videos

I just really hope these really go somewhere. Excellent to see the right pressure being applied to the self righteous abusive cult.

Intelligence

Silver Meritorious Patron
Incredible and awesome. Thank you mnql1 and all those who made this happen. "Clearing the Planet of COS abuses" Tick Tock DM and your OSA Goons.

Doom

Lurking.
MF was a total rockstar in that one, picked up the COS's Guitar and smashed it to pieces, then he sees (after shooting his toes one by one) that it was the only guitar they had to play at that concert.

MF was epic for all the right reasons.

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Re: Bump

Keeping the Bastards honest...

I can remember frying ants with a magnifying glass as a kid, they made a highhhhhh pitch noise as they cooked; just like MF in video 6/9 at 2:13.

As a kid, I couldn't bring myself to do things like that but I certainly note that the OSABOTS are squirming quite vigorously.