ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

ESMB and The Freezone - let's have it out!

Discussion in 'Freezone, Independents, and Other Flavors of Scien' started by Emma, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boldgirl

Boldgirl Patron Meritorious

Although I have very little life experience in scn compared to ladybird, I feel she hits the nail on the head everytime with her posts. Everything from her assessment of Freezoners as it relates to still utilizing scientology to LRH being the ultimate core source of suppression. I just agree with everything she said. I love reading her posts....just love them. Thanks Ladybird.:yes:

2. Boldgirl

AMEN. It really is that simple of an issue about FZ's. That simple.
    Please go elsewhere, give us real 'ex scn' space and let us heal and move on. FZ is scientology plain and simple. FZ = suppression = LRH= C of S kept alive and well and is feeding the con. FZ=still drinking the Kool aid-

3. Smitty

Smitty Silver Meritorious Patron

comment to Ladybird

Very well stated.
    Smitty

4. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

Absolutely excellent post Ladybird, thankyou! :clap: :clap:

5. Andrew

Andrew Patron with Honors

My two cents:

Let the community self-regulate.

As long as there are enough people with different viewpoints that pipe up then the reader can make their own mind up.

If you get a dominance of once perspective that drives the board away from it's goals then you may need to re-look at it but I don't think that it is the case here at the moment.

6. Fancy

Fancy Patron Meritorious

LR is on the yahoo list not LH. Lone Ranger and is a she of Ron's org who can be a bit gruff at times but is of good heart if you see her purpose is.

Barb

7. Free to shine

It's funny you should mention that - I have been meaning to start a thread on the stages of 'leaving' which certainly do seem to align with this.

Hey - here's an idea...maybe we could all have a letter after our name per the above! I'm an "A". :D

8. Boldgirl

Ok I'll start! I am between a 'D' and an 'A'...almost fully to the 'A' thanks to all of you. I was in 'D' when I found this board and realized what I felt was right...that the whole of scn was a con and that I was conned.

9. nexus100

nexus100 Gold Meritorious Patron

Wow, what a thread. I guess everyone has a good deal to get off their chests.
    I have to side with free rein for all. Not because it is always perfect but because the alternative leads to nullity of ideas and smothering of emotion. Part of release from the COS should involve the willingness, at some point, to take a 2 by 4 to the offending party. The FZ'rs as they themselves have noted provide a nice dummy for the purpose. Once past that point they become an irritant, then a barely noticeable bug on the windshield.

But keep the 2x4 handy.

10. Free to shine

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbsup:

11. I'm pretty much on board with Alonzo here. While some people might feel the need to "protect" newly ex-Scientologists from something they feel is harmful or a waste, in the end this is only one point of view and I don't think we're helping the situation to censor points of view in order to theoretically think for people who can't think for themselves. It's very tenuous ground to try and navigate. If you think Freezone is a load of nonsense, speak your mind as you see it and make a compelling argument. I think that ultimately we should have faith in the power of facts, reason, open communication, and people's judgement to get the job done. If you want to make a rule about advertising other websites, that's your call but I am not in any way in favor of tempering people's points of view. To that end, I wish current Scientologists could/would register on here and join the party/debate.

12. Reasonable Lady

Reasonable Lady Patron with Honors

We were bad,:nervous: we got hysterical.:duh: But we are feeling much better now.:eyeroll:

Seriously, I think that some people who are considering leaving the church, and read this board, may find the existence of the FZ reassuring and make it safer to leave the church. The people on this board who are vehemently opposed to any and all tenets of scientology could have their own forum (a new forum, exposing the risks of following any of Hubbard's doctrines).

Fair enough?

RL

13. Headend

Headend Patron with Honors

Wow! looks like I picked a good day for a visit. :omg:

Although I'm not sure Em would like being referred to as the BIG Aussie. Calling her the Queen of the Internet & pledging your undying allegiance worked for me.

Sorry I missed Roan's post but he does have a point the thread says "Let's have it out." Where I come from they're fighting words & written by no less than the Queen herself. :boxing:

14. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

I wouldn't. I know others who wouldn't.

People are individuals.

15. Voltaire's Child

Thor and Maia are the moderators here. And,of course, Emma.

16. Voltaire's Child

I disagree. Terril's actually helped people who wanted to leave CofS who'd heard of him- and they WEREN'T Freezoners. And they wouldn't have heard of him or wanted to contact him if he was just a walking footbullet. He never gets one thing in return for anything he does. Is he perfect? Hell no. He has flaws. But so do we all.

17. Free to shine

Maybe there should be a Category called The Halfway House? :D

This is an EX Scientologists board. Departed, gone, left Scientology. IMO that includes the Freezone. Yes, people sometimes need to hang on to parts of Scientology and gradually understand the bigger picture, if that's appropriate for them. Some perhaps never will. That's what freedom of choice is all about, and I am sure is why Emma included a Freezone section.

Emma's original post was about ESMB being "used" by that Freezone section to change the perception of what ESMB really is. That's the crux of the matter.

18. Reasonable Lady

Reasonable Lady Patron with Honors

There is a third moderator, Ceres.

RL

19. Free to shine

You are right - "big Aussie" may not go down well! :hysterical:

I think all the previous controversy (and I haven't read it all) is more about HOW something is said rather than what. Name calling and being nasty just invites flamewars, something that thankfully is rare here. Let's discuss the nitty gritty without getting personal is my opinion.

20. Voltaire's Child

As I said before, it's not my decision AT ALL and I understand this, but I really wouldn't feel bad or anything if there were new revisions to the board. As I said, it's had some revisions already as things come up.

I personally think that people should be able to discuss Scn concepts from a FZ or indie or Idenics or Knowledgism or TIR point of view-just as concepts. That's not the same as proselytization though I think some would disagree with me. But to have proselytization, you have to have the "I like this. You should do it, too." element. If it's not there, it's not there.

The thing is, even on forums that don't have an FZ section, I've seen/experienced the following: someone asks or talks about why a drill is done a certain way. So someone else answers. Someone else- knowing the person who answered the question actually still likes elements of Scn- derails the thread and accuses person of proselytizing when such was not occurring. That is because it can be in the eye of the beholder.

Not everyone agrees on this stuff and that's just how life is. There may be some ROC type changes or structural changes that might make more people happier with the board. I personally think it's very sad that some people cannot deal with others liking Scn or something- it seems like the same attitudes I saw in CofS, but that's just how it is. The thing is some people really do feel that way, it's not an uncommon point of view, and they are trying to move on and this board is mainly meant for such individuals and purposes. Therefore, saddened though I am by some of the posts here, I think that it's best that the purpose, goal, idea, etc- of moving on from being in CofS and recovering should remain first and foremost. If this means a few changes in the board, then great. I also think Terril's right- Emma rocks and this has been a fascinating thread.

To whom this applies: I'm not being sarcastic. I actually do feel bad that some individuals may feel threatened or sad or dismayed or angry or annoyed at my position, the position of other contributors who've written some number of pro Scn ideology type stuff. I'm honestly not doing it with the wish to dismay or chagrin anyone and I don't think that the other indie/heretical/FZ individuals are, either. I'd like to coexist side by side with other people who don't believe as I do. I mean, hell, I even have friends who are liberals. :coolwink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.