What's new

Faux "cancellation of Disconnection"

Veda

Sponsor
The 1968 "cancellation of Disconnection" was an example of "Policy" being used as PR to mislead - in essence fake or display policy - much like the sham "Cancellation" of Fair Game which occurred at the same time.

From Tony Ortega's blog chat from several years ago:

The poster 'Xenu' in reply to 'Sketto':

Since I worked for HCO [Hubbard Communications Office] during the 1970s, I'd thought I'd chime in with what I personally witnessed during those years.
Hubbard actually did cancel disconnection, after Australia had cracked down, and New Zealand was on the verge of outlawing the cult. Not only did he cancel disconnection, but he also banned Fair Game, sec checks, and the recording of what went on in auditing sessions. Way cool, huh?
The only problem was that the policy letter cancelling those things was only issued to the New Zealand government commission that was considering the banning of Scientology. [note: It was also mentioned in a few other places, such a PR book written for Scientology, and, and there was a show made of displaying Hubbard's 1968 faux "Reform Code" for "wogs" and "raw meat."]
I oversaw a ton of disconnection during the 1970s, and had to disconnect from a couple of people myself. I personally saw that they continued to happen at major Class IV [now called Class V] and SO [Sea Org] orgs just as they always had. Nothing changed... Sec checks and Fair Game continued, despite the wholly disingenuous sham of policy change.
Andre Tabayoyon, and various other poster here, who were in HCO in the '70s, can easily vouch for me on this...​

Here's some more from the poster 'Xenu' over at Tony O's at the Village Voice:

...Hubbard was getting a lot of PR flack over disconnection, so he wrote a policy which would help PR a lot without changing anything significant. I'm sure it was meant to be misunderstood by outsiders...​
The policy did NOT cancel disconnection, rather it said that 'disconnection as a condition' was cancelled. Now, one might well ask, WTF is 'disconnection as a condition'?
If you dig through some ancient ethics folders, you would find that they would often explicitly state that the subject of the ethics order was to disconnect from one or more other parties who would be named in the ethics order, and that reinstatement to good standing would not happen until that had been done. THAT was disconnection as a condition.
So we stopped naming names of people to be disconnected from in ethics orders. Instead, Type A PTS would be told that they had to handle or disconnect, and if handling was impossible, well, too bad! And people still had to disconnect from SPs... the Nov '68 policy had no real impact other than PR.
___________​

From Volume One of the OEC Course, HCO Division, a.k.a. a Green Volume, from 1974, HCOPL dated 23 December 1965, 'Suppressive Acts, Suppression of Scientology and Scientologists', and on page two of that HCOPL there is a list of suppressive acts over forty lines long - most of the page.

Suppressive acts are defined as actions or omissions undertaken to knowingly suppress, reduce, or impede Scientology or Scientologists...
[Such suppressive acts include] public disavowal of Scientology... public statements against Scientology.
[Suppressive acts also include] continued membership in a divergent group; continued adherence to a Suppressive Person or group pronounced a Suppressive Person or group by HCO; failure to handle or disavow or disconnect from a person demonstrably guilty of suppressive acts; being at the hire of anti-Scientology groups or persons...

Disconnection was standard Scientology policy and practice in the 1970s.

When Hubbard's 1968 sham cancellation of Disconnection was seen to have created some amount of confusion, during a period of schism in the early 1980s, a decision was made to issue a reinstatement of Disconnection, but anyone seriously involved with Scientology in the 1970s knows that disconnection was never discontinued. "Handle or disconnect" was always standard practice, no matter how it was disguised or named.

In 2014, Marty Rathbun and Mike Rinder stated that it was Hubbard who instructed Miscavige to have the Policy Letter, re-affirming the practice of Disconnection, issued, and that, in reality, Disconnection had never really been discontinued anyway.

The cult of Scientology could not survive without Disconnection.​

__________​

Typical Suppressive Person Declare, circa 1972

sp-declare-eileen-vernjack.jpg

"Suppressive Persons... cannot be granted the rights and beingness ordinarily accorded rational beings and so place themselves beyond any consideration for their feelings or well being."

Glenda

Crusader
Disconnection was not cancelled. I did most of my scientology in New Zealand. Hubbard wrote to the NZ inquiry with fancy words to get his own way. It was all lies. Hubbard pulled the rug from under the feet of the inquiry team by writing a letter saying disconnection was no longer required or going to be practiced. The inquiry team was left with no option but to back off.

In reality, in practice, disconnection continued but became more under-ground. Here in NZ any ethics actions which required disconnection went undocumented to avoid any legal issues. Disconnection continued without much paper-work to prove it to anyone outside of the group.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
My goldenrod SP Declare states that one of the things I did wrong was: "Failure to handle or disavow and disconnect from a person demonstrably guilty of suppressive acts."

This was in the 2000's.