What's new

For Those Who Can't Stand Criticism

I haven't read this entire thread, so if someone else already told this story, well...number of times...yada..yada...yada.

A very learned philosophy professor was walking his class in the woods for a discussion.

He stumbled upon a metal object that looked like an ancient lantern and while inspecting it he rubbed it.

Out popped a genie.

The genie said to the professor "I can grant you either of two things--I can make you the wisest person who ever lived, or I can give you a million dollars in cash."

Without hesitation, the professor answered "Make me the wisest person who ever lived."

Instantly, there was a puff of smoke around the professor and when the smoke cleared the professor had a look of wisdom on his face the likes of which no one had ever seen.

His students asked him if he was now the wisest person who ever lived. "Yes, I am," was his reply.

"Can you share with us some of your new found wisdom?" they cried.

"Yes," replied the professor, "I should have taken the cash."

The Anabaptist Jacques

Last edited:

Winston Smith

Flunked Scientology
There should be a tally of this thread to see how many took the million, and how many are enlightened about their character flaws. Oh my, Alanzo, you should have offered some other choices. I would be a very happy grouch with a million bucks, whereas I would just be a grouch if I took the other choice.

Alonzo,

You have one character flaw that I am aware of.

You tend to put a higher value on cold-blooded criticism than on a cold hard million in cash.

(actually, you know that I am kidding.)

Know thyself....but take the cash too.

The Anabaptist Jacques

I haven't read this entire thread, so if someone else already told this story, well...number of times...yada..yada...yada.

A very learned philosophy professor was walking his class in the woods for a discussion.

He stumbled upon a metal object that looked like an ancient lantern and while inspecting it he rubbed it.

Out popped a genie.

The genie said to the professor "I can grant you either of two things--I can make you the wisest person who ever lived, or I can give you a million dollars in cash."

Without hesitation, the professor answered "Make me the wisest person who ever lived."

Instantly, there was a puff of smoke around the professor and when the smoke cleared the professor had a look of wisdom on his face the likes of which no one had ever seen.

His students asked him if he was now the wisest person who ever lived. "Yes, I am," was his reply.

"Can you share with us some of your new found wisdom?" they cried.

"Yes," replied the professor, "I should have taken the cash."

The Anabaptist Jacques

Under the circumstances the choice was incorrect because the standard was too low: i.e. the wisest PERSON who ever lived. Doesn't say much. :no:

Take the money.

Mark A. Baker

A Pearl...

This my friends, is a true pearl of Wisdom! :yes::

"It is very hard to look into one's self - let alone own it - but the rewards are tremendous." :clap:

Well said, Lurkie! :thumbsup:

Me too!

I am often surprised at how long some threads get! Now, that's not a criticism...:eyeroll:

Ok, so I would take the million first off. And because I don't like to be told I have to choose.... I would then tell the person they could tell me what's wrong with me if they wanted. If they refused I would just pay them to do it. Experience tells me this is how it's done, no??:duh:

Uncle Artie...having your cake and eating it too! :p :naughty: Have you always been this way? :D (Just kidding!!!)

Alanzo will be quite chuffed at the length of this thread, if it keeps on going! :D

The TAJ Option is Popular!

Alonzo,

You have one character flaw that I am aware of.

You tend to put a higher value on cold-blooded criticism than on a cold hard million in cash.

(actually, you know that I am kidding.)

Know thyself....but take the cash too.

The Anabaptist Jacques

LOL!!! TAJ, it looks like many smart thinkers here are opting for this third choice. Maybe if we were not in such a deep dark recession, this would be different. :confused2:

However, in my experience, it's a rare person who really wants to see themselves as others see them, flaws, inadequacies, warts and all. But we keep holding up those mirrors to each other, nonetheless. :D

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Understand that what interests you is not necessarily the interest of another. For example, I have a son. He loves video games. I have no interest in them. He persists in trying to engage me in his video gme world by trying to make me look at what he is looking at that he finds significant or fun and well, after a while, after 2 or 3 times of being verbally cohersed to look at something which I don't have any interest in, I get tired of being sucked into it and no amount of good TRs works because this is his special interest. His obsession. It's too easy to get frustrated with him because he just does not get that I am not interested. He does not see nor care about my point of view on this and no matter how much attention I give, he always wants more ( when his friends aren't around to get it from them).

In the real world (I assume this is a hypothetical example) I would try to be interested in my son's game, because all too soon he would be grown up and no longer interested in trying to get me to play games with him.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
In the real world (I assume this is a hypothetical example) I would try to be interested in my son's game, because all too soon he would be grown up and no longer interested in trying to get me to play games with him.

Well, it's not hypothetical, per se. He's been at these games for years and can finish a game in just a few days so it's hard to keep up with him. I have his Dad on xbox with him, which helps alot but even his Dad gets worn out, lol! So sometimes he's just listening in to keep he and the other kids from getting out of hand. Xbox can be a good or bad thing unless monitored to some degree. But I get your point and appreciate your concern :)

I'm really terrible at these games. He's known I cannot play these games since he began playing them, so what I do is watch Youtube videos he finds and shares with me. The current interests there are video game tips and tricks, and how-to videos on modifying games and xbox ( which I don't let him do if illegal. ) He also watches spoof videos on the latest games. As well, he likes to go back to old games and revisit, especially after seeing youtube videos. One week it was all Naruto videos - which drove me nuts but I watched as I worked on my computer next to him. He also tells me in conversation about his games and what's happening, which is alot easier for me to share it and acknowledge him.

Sometimes it gets to be too much for me. Like hanging out with someone who only talks about computer systems. I then have to tell him that I would like him to watch what I am doing ( which is boring to him) in exchange and, well, that puts an end to the need for me to participate, lol.

He's smart. Wants to make video games. He'll be doing a program for that in High School in a couple of years. He learns all sorts of stuff related to this on the internet but I have to keep an eye on it or he'll wind up a hacker :omg:

Mary