What's new

Growth of scientology

Whattodo

Patron with Honors
They claim it's the fastest growing religion! so how many members are there and more specifically how many in the UK?

Out/Int

Patron with Honors
They claim it's the fastest growing religion! so how many members are there and more specifically how many in the UK?

The Church of Scientology lies about the numbers of members.

There are around 6,000 members on Facebook and some of those people are Under the Radar and not telling others they are really out due to fear of Disconnection.

I would guess about 8,000 members including staff and Sea Org.

Scientology shrinks every month - it is a ball of spew, pus and rot circling the dwindling spiral of life ready to go down the drain.

Goodbye

Patron with Honors
Based on various statements from Jefferson Hawkins, Mike Rinder even Ortega, it's somewhere between 25,000 to 50,000 members worldwide. How many of those are actively online is unknown, but I doubt it's above 25,000.

Whattodo

Patron with Honors
That's not a lot really, the UK seems to struggle to expand. It's one question I did put to an advisor, if they had all the answers and tech for every day problems why do they struggle to market their religion and find more effective ways to recruit!

Has anyone gone to an org and done a personality test despite being opposed just to see the process and experience the sell? I can't really remember but I didn't return for anymore courses.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
Based on various statements from Jefferson Hawkins, Mike Rinder even Ortega, it's somewhere between 25,000 to 50,000 members worldwide. How many of those are actively online is unknown, but I doubt it's above 25,000.

I'd tend to agree with those numbers - could be as low as 25,000 but 50,000 seems too high.

Problem is scientology lies, period. They lie about everything. So, actual membership numbers I doubt even they have an accurate count.

Look at their events with tarp walls up to prevent people attending to see all the protesters. Look at home they are using smaller & smaller venues even in LA where they claim to have so many loyal members.

Even Clearwater has piss poor turn out for events.

How big can they be if ALL guests are checked to see if they are on the ticket list at the door ? A church needs to do that ?

Terril park

Sponsor
I'd tend to agree with those numbers - could be as low as 25,000 but 50,000 seems too high.

Problem is scientology lies, period. They lie about everything. So, actual membership numbers I doubt even they have an accurate count.

Look at their events with tarp walls up to prevent people attending to see all the protesters. Look at home they are using smaller & smaller venues even in LA where they claim to have so many loyal members.

How big can they be if ALL guests are checked to see if they are on the ticket list at the door ? A church needs to do that ?

DMs architect said 10-20,000 and management dosn't
know what to do about it.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
DMs architect said 10-20,000 and management dosn't
know what to do about it.

Management is the little man.

Let's see:
chronic asthma = PTS
chronic tone = blame

Looks like he has 'roid rage almost always

And this little madman is the "pope" of scientology - and nobody in the cult can figure out what's wrong ?

In a short time, 10,000 will be a really high high ball number !

Whattodo

Patron with Honors
So much I wished I could say!

What or who is dm's architect I'm new so slowly getting upto speed with the terms and info.

ThetanExterior

Gold Meritorious Patron
In the 2011 UK census only 2,418 people said they were scientologists. It's probably less than that now.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/dec/11/census-data-religion-jedi-knights

The only way to get any kind of accurate figure is from the International Association of Scientologists (IAS) membership.

Every scientologist has to be an IAS member therefore the membership number will include every current member plus any who have left but still have a membership. The problem is they don't publish this figure so we can only guess.

In the late 1990s I was told by an IAS official that the worldwide IAS membership figure was 68,000. I was shocked because I'd assumed it would be millions. I think a lot of people have left since then, me included. I would guess it's about 20,000 now.

Demented Hubbatd

Patron with Honors

10 years ago I used the available CoS data about course completions to calculate the number of active Scientologists, and came to conclusion that their number is approximately 30,000. But that was back then. In the last 10 years the number of Scientologists went down, and now it is, most likely, below 20,000.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
In the 2011 UK census only 2,418 people said they were scientologists. It's probably less than that now.

The only way to get any kind of accurate figure is from the International Association of Scientologists (IAS) membership.

Every scientologist has to be an IAS member therefore the membership number will include every current member plus any who have left but still have a membership. The problem is they don't publish this figure so we can only guess.

In the late 1990s I was told by an IAS official that the worldwide IAS membership figure was 68,000. I was shocked because I'd assumed it would be millions. I think a lot of people have left since then, me included. I would guess it's about 20,000 now.

Ah, what of those people who took a " Lifetime Membership " for 10 Grand !

And, then, got the boot ?

Aren't they still on the books as members of the IAS . . . IAS stands forI Ain't Shit

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron

I still have my “Lifetime” HASI Membership card. Does that count?

http://www.wiseoldgoat.com/papers-scientology/hubbard_hasi_vs_ias.html

“Giving money or things to a group are both a form of participation and contribution. But while this is an important matter, it does not involve actual action. Thus a contributor of money or objects to a group is yet withholding himself and his time. One should seek contribution of money and things. But the status granted for this is that of patron or associate, not a true member of the group.”

L. Ron Hubbard

(from HCO PL 3 Dec 68 “Gung-Ho Groups, Poltr # 2”)

_____
http://www.wiseoldgoat.com/papers-scientology/hubbard_hasi_vs_iasb.html#verdict

///
Mind that there never were any explanations of the disappearance of the HASI organization. It had been in existence and was the official Scientology membership organization during at least as long as 25 years (1952-77). One should have thought that some explanation would be in place, but we don't get that explanation. All Scientology magazines mention nothing of it. Basically the HASI pretty much silently went under. The name was still (sort of) in use after the HASI went defunct in 1977, mostly only referred to as Scientology membership, until it was finally replaced by the IAS in 1984. But no one made any mention that it was replacing the HASI as the official Scientology membership. Not to mention the disappearance of the mention of Hubbard (‘H’) in its name. Why is that anyway? What conclusion can we draw from that?
///

Goodbye

Patron with Honors
I still have my “Lifetime” HASI Membership card. Does that count?
I tried that 20 years ago. The local org did accept it, but subsequently set the IAS on my tail. Their missions come out to specifically target you, special supposed briefings, etc. You pay them off in the hope of staving off any further harassment for a while, but that theory doesn't hold any water. It just gets worse.

Last edited:

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
That's not a lot really, the UK seems to struggle to expand. It's one question I did put to an advisor, if they had all the answers and tech for every day problems why do they struggle to market their religion and find more effective ways to recruit!

From another thread:
You could ask how long Dianetics and Scientology have been around (since 1950's). In all that time, what are the results?

For high-end people, even a few percent increase in ability would translate into tens of thousands to millions of dollars in additional yearly income.

If Scientology could, objectively, make a person even 10% more effective, if it could get a lawyer to win 10% more cases, a stock broker guess right even 10% more of the time, a salesman close even 10% more deals -- there would be a line of people with suitcases full of cash stretching from the doors of Flag all the way to Tampa.

And yet there isn't.

Where are the people who Scientology has made so much higher in ability, that they stand out as stars in their fields?

This is the biggest "out-point" about Scientology: a group which claims to be able to vastly increase abilities, failing to do so.

You want to know how to REALLY get people interested in studying your stuff? Have successful people promote it. If the founder of a major successful company (on the scale of Facebook, Microsoft, Apple) had ever come out and said "Scientology had a lot to do with my success", the orgs would be full to bursting with people within hours of the statement being put out there.

And yet, you DON'T see majorly successful Scientologists.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
I tried that 20 years ago. The local org did accept it, but subsequently set the IAS on my tail. Their missions come out to specifically target you, special supposed briefings, etc. You pay them off in the hope of staving off any further harassment for a while, but that theory doesn't hold any water. It just gets worse.

The emergence of IAS was the final straw that led me to blow. I had the LIFETIME HASI membership. I felt betrayed that it was no longer valid and was regged to shell out a significant amount of money for the IAS. I refused. Attempted Ethics handlings followed. You know the routine. My answer was to leave/escape forever. It was the best decision in my life.

As for their "big" events pretty soon they'll have holographic effects to make it look like thousands of people are attending when only two dozen people are there.

Last edited:

Goodbye

Patron with Honors
The emergence of IAS was the final straw that led be to blow. I had the LIFETIME HASI membership. I felt betrayed that it was no longer valid and was regged to shell out a significant amount of money for the IAS. I refused. Attempted Ethics handlings followed. You know the routine. My answer was to leave/escape forever. It was the best decision in my life.

As for their "big" events pretty soon they'll have holographic effects to make it look like thousands of people are attending when only two dozen people are there.

I'm not sure how their IAS memberships work nowadays, but then you could get an annual for $ 300.00. Mine had expired and they wanted to get me on some service right away and I insisted they take my HASI. No IAS people could be contacted at the time and they wanted a sign-up right away and gave me the 20% discount using the HASI membership. Next Pomerantz/Roberts roadshow they came right to my house to "enlighten" me on the IAS. The harassment afterward went on unabated.

Once they tried to route me to Ethics for not attending an IAS event early on after it's 1984 inception. But they couldn't cite a reference that required my attendance. Shortly after HCO no longer did the biddings of the IAS, so that was upturn. I generally rarely ever attended IAS events, put my phone in answering mode on the days when they came to town. 2 dozen repeat calls were nothing out of the ordinary.

I left the CO$ primarily over all the regfesting. Other undesirable things also started to take place. I figured there was nothing there for me anymore and went into Independent Scientology. No regrets.

renegade

Silver Meritorious Patron

If you purchased a Lifetime or above but left, are they still counting you as an active member?

Did you know that public are flown or bussed in from other orgs to attend org events? I know several public who did that so the numbers must be very low.

Sounds like desperate measures just to take a photo and prove "Unprecedented Expansion."

Goodbye

Patron with Honors
Ah, what of those people who took a " Lifetime Membership " for 10 Grand !

And, then, got the boot ?

Aren't they still on the books as members of the IAS ... IAS stands forI Ain't Shit

They appear to be out of the loop at least for some time. Even those declared received IAS reg calls sometimes years afterwards.

TheOriginalBigBlue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm not sure how their IAS memberships work nowadays, but then you could get an annual for $ 300.00. Mine had expired and they wanted to get me on some service right away and I insisted they take my HASI. No IAS people could be contacted at the time and they wanted a sign-up right away and gave me the 20% discount using the HASI membership. Next Pomerantz/Roberts roadshow they came right to my house to "enlighten" me on the IAS. The harassment afterward went on unabated.

Once they tried to route me to Ethics for not attending an IAS event early on after it's 1984 inception. But they couldn't cite a reference that required my attendance. Shortly after HCO no longer did the biddings of the IAS, so that was upturn. I generally rarely ever attended IAS events, put my phone in answering mode on the days when they came to town. 2 dozen repeat calls were nothing out of the ordinary.

I left the CO$ primarily over all the regfesting. Other undesirable things also started to take place. I figured there was nothing there for me anymore and went into Independent Scientology. No regrets.

From the Garcia case it seems the International Justice Chief is now applying a criteria that a person must have taken a course or auditing or some significant service within three years to qualify as a member in good standing.

http://tonyortega.org/2017/02/13/a-...bsesses-over-every-members-status/#more-37677
_____
We are seeing that event coordinators are being provided lists of persona non grata to cull them at the door. We can probably assume that this could include people who have simply not been "active" for a given period and extends to event mailing/call-in lists.

I believe lack of active involvement is increasingly being used as a single means of vetting disgruntled people and this can be viewed as part of a contraction that is more cultish than what people expect from normal Church behavior.

Goodbye

Patron with Honors
From the Garcia case it seems the International Justice Chief is now applying a criteria that a person must have taken a course or auditing or some significant service within three years to qualify as a member in good standing.

http://tonyortega.org/2017/02/13/a-...bsesses-over-every-members-status/#more-37677
_____
We are seeing that event coordinators are being provided lists of persona non grata to cull them at the door. We can probably assume that this could include people who have simply not been "active" for a given period and extends to event mailing/call-in lists.

I believe lack of active involvement is increasingly being used as a single means of vetting disgruntled people and this can be viewed as part of a contraction that is more cultish than what people expect from normal Church behavior.

Interesting, I wasn't up on that.