ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

How Come Emma Got Removed From RFW?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Lawrence Toomajan, Aug 21, 2010.

1. omnom

omnom Patron with Honors

There are now ways to get your email address, assuming you have fields auto-populated and saved in your browser, but they're not widely used yet at all, and definitely not on reputable/mainstream sites (if someone found the code to do this on a Scn site, it would be BAD PR - like really friggin lawsuit bad.)

It's unlikely that anyone got your email address just by clicking a link - it's an unhappy coincidence most likely.

Proxies are useful if you're doing something shady or outright illegal. Or if you wear tinfoil on your head.

If a site gets a direct hit from you, they get your IP, browser type, and other sundry items - hardly enough to track you down without a court order.

2. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

Strange, because whenever I visit a certain site, I get the exact same 5 spam emails within 1 hour. But well, what do I know? You seem to be the expert here.

Oh, and proxies have NOTHING to do with shady or illegal activities, but of course you know that, don't you?:coolwink:

3. omnom

omnom Patron with Honors

Dunno, but I don't bother with them (proxies.) Some people feel more comfortable with them, so if it makes you feel safer, go for it. It doesn't hurt, assuming your proxy site is on the up-and-up too.

It'd be interesting to delve into why you get the same emails when you visit a site - there's lots of explanations, but that'd be tough to do without a very in-depth investigation. At the very easiest, a packet sniffer would detect if you transmitted your email address in a simple HTTP GET (in plaintext anyway - if it's an https site, that's MUCH more difficult, if not impossible.)

I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I've had the same concern, in the early days of the web before I learned about how the web works. I'm satisfied enough that I don't proxy up when visiting sites, but to each their own.

(Edit: I'm sure some people feel a proxy is a necessity for daily browsing, but they're also commonly used to get around things like web filters, like if you want to browse Facebook at work when it's expressly forbidden - I think even that is a bit shady.)

4. MrNobody

Frankly, I think you don't have the slightest clue about what a proxy is and does. Let alone the perfectly legal and not in the least shady useful and necessary work they do for EVERY internet user ever day all over the world.

'nuff said.

5. omnom

omnom Patron with Honors

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply that the *only* thing you can do with it is naughty. My apologies for not making that apparent...

6. MrNobody

No need to apologize, it was already clear that you had an agenda. :D

7. omnom

omnom Patron with Honors

I'm not sure if that is sarcasm or not - I was just trying to dispel FUD. Either way, cheers! :cheers:

8. MrNobody

Sure. :duh:

9. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

Probably tinfoil speculation here, but ....

Who is Lawrence Toomajan?

And might this thread, initiated in August, have any connection to Emma's current situation?

TG1

10. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

Google him on googlegroups, alt.religion.scientology. He tends to alternate thoughtful posts about CofS with rather inflammatory ones about female critics. He posted under several different nicknames for a while but AFAIK, lately he just uses his name or some variant thereof.

11. Big Farmer

Big Farmer Patron with Honors

There was a poster on Marty's blog,with the username Lawrence, a couple of hours ago glorying in Emma's plight. The posts have now been removed.

A rough paraphrasing of some of his comments...Emma only allows people on her board that agree with her...I find Emma very difficult to communicate with..when I didnt agree with her she banned me.

12. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

Thanks. I also found this autobiography by "Lawrence Toomajan" at http://alley.ethercat.com/cgi-bin/door/door.cgi?44.

TG1

13. TG1

TG1 Angelic Poster

Hmmm, good eye, Big Farmer.

P.S. I have always loved your nick.

14. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

The guy strikes me as being highly damaged by Scientology. His rants usually struck me as being highly defensive of scientology, while not actually understanding scientology, alternated with personal stories.

15. Smurf

Smurf Gold Meritorious SP

16. AnonKat

AnonKat Crusader

Like this ?

Like this ? Poor fellow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFjv2F7g6-c

17. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

He seemed to understand the subject matter. I can't say whether he's damaged. He seemed hostile to the interviewer's line of inquiry.

He does seem to have the scientology bubble firmly wrapped around himself. I'd be interested in talking to him. I find it surprising that he was willing to be interviewed in this manner.

18. OTBT

OTBT Patron Meritorious

Larry is an ex, and is definitely damaged goods. I thought Emma banned him from ESMB a while back, maybe I'm wrong, I only post here on ESMB occasionally.

Larry is a long time troll, who doesn't seem to like scientology or exes or critics. He used endless socks on ars to generally just stir shit up.

I see absolutely nothing to connect Larry with Emma's page being yanked from RFW.

Larry is a fairly harmless troll; annoying, but he is not OSA. Zinj remembers him better than I do.

19. uniquemand

uniquemand Unbeliever

The text you quoted above was a reference to Alan, in the youtube vid, not Lawrence.

20. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Enough to say that *nobody* gets a 'Not OSA Badge' :)

He's not SO, or even 'onlines' (that I know of,) so, he wouldn't officially be 'OSA' anyway, but, that says nothing. And, he always been a noisemaker. Most recently on MartyWorld, where he has now announced his leaving.

I just wouldn't take anything he says too seriously; especially his conclusions.

Zinj