ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

How did you spend Christmas?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Nec_V20, Dec 25, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. Kerry

Kerry Patron with Honors

This year it turned out to be just me, hubby, our 2 kids and 8 of the in-laws. It was hot as hell, over 100F, :no: did cold turkey, ham, veal, hot vegies and many cold salads, etc., plus that disgusting English Christmas "pudding" and custard sauce, my MIL nearly passed out before they left it was so hot (no air-con, zilch sea breeze), 4 of the kids are under 10 so the noise levels were what you'd imagine, my right ear is still ringing, it went on all day, the cats were freaking out at the 3 year old's attempts to strangle them, and there's more but I won't bore you, so next year I'm running away to Venezuela right after midnight Mass with a bottle of bubbly and a good book. Hubby can come too if he behaves himself all year. :evillaugh:

2. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

:roflmao:
    Now that sounds like a few I have experienced!

3. Royal Prince Xenu

Royal Prince Xenu Trust the Psi Corps.

I whipped up a new batch of Glycol, built a few thousand atomic bombs, and placed an order for a fleet of Airbus 380s to be modified with "rocket motors instead of propellers". :bwahaha:

4. The Oracle

The Oracle Gold Meritorious Patron

Oh. I was raised by Scots that came from Iceland down to Scotland. I sort of got passed around from house to house family to family as I grew up, but raised mainly by three uncles and one Grandfather. Scots are anger based people. Lots of yelling and cursing throughout the year. By the time a holiday came people were happy to put on the haggis, pull out the bagpipes, and have a day of peace. Until I was seven or eight I didn't even know Christmas was a religious holiday. I thought it was some kind of Scottish independence day celebration. They were more Druid than less. We never had Christmas trees or anything like that. I always got one present, from my grandfather who was more or less considered my Da at Christmastime. It was always a doll I didn't want. I hated dolls. But when I turned seven I asked for make up for Christmas. That raised a few eyebrows! But on that Christmas and the Christmas' after I always got a very expensive vanity case with a mirror in it full of make up.

I'd get my face all made up with ludicrous eye brow pencil and bright red lipstick and all the rest and come sit down for dinner and everyone would act like nothing was wrong.

By the time I was eleven I got pantyhose thrown in the with deal.

I finally got sent to live with my mother who I really did not know, when I was fourteen and after a few months I just left that place.

I can't really recall any Christmas' or holidays I had for years. Mostly I was working on those days I guess. I just remember lots of parties!

I got into it big time when I had kids of my own.

Making Christmas for kids is great fun!

I belong to an organization too that works to provide for other Children on Christmas .

Now that I am writing this I kind of realize Christmas day was all about me too when I was kid. They did it for me.

Thanks guys. :bigcry:

T.I.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Speaking of which, I understand that there's a huge market for DC-8 props as collectibles.

Due to their scarcity, it's very much a sellers' market and the prices can go into the millions...

Zinj

6. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

I believe your compassion is obvious to all.

Never knew you spent such time in the UK!

Your youth reminded me of a sort of a pop hit in the UK at least.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.hart/lyricsr/richard.html

Unfortunately its not on U-tube. Nice melody, cheesy lyrics.

If you're brave maybe Kareoke material?

7. The Oracle

Didn't grow up in the U.K. in this life~

Born in the U.S.A., but according to my family they were still located in Scotland! My father's people were Irish but they were recent arrivals. Very celtic atmosphere all around. The men traveled to Scotland for bagpipe lessons on a regular basis. I like the sound of bagpipes on records but in the front yard it was somewhat annoying. There is something about the sound of the bagpipes getting started though, there is something they do as the air gets into the bag and the instrument makes these "setting up" noises, when I hear that it wakes me up with the feeling that something special is about to happen. I've heard from family that have just returned that Scotland is an ungodly expensive place to visit these days. Have you heard anything about that?

I clicked on the link and there are many songs. Which one am I supposed to click on?

T.I.

8. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

T.I.[/QUOTE]

" Living Doll"

Sung by Cliff Richard. Its the first one.

Ring any bells?

I like the bagpipes. Never had the priviledge of hearing them in my front
    yard. I'll search U-tube on that.

Mostly In the UK one must pay twice what one pays in the USA for
    just about anything.

I'll be visiting there in a few months. Hope to meet some friends. :)

9. Free to shine

I was married to a Scot and lived there for a year in my youth. I must admit Hogmanay was an amazing experience. We did the whole taking a piece of coal thing, and it was mandatory to drink some whiskey. I'd never tasted it before, having recently blown from Saint Hill and got so plastered my last memory of that night is trying to walk on the white line down the middle of the road around 5am. No cars around thankfully, probably because everyone else was in the same state.

I never did see the point of getting so drunk after that, and didn't bother. :D

I also did like haggis, and bagpipes still give me a shiver.

10. Kerry

Kerry Patron with Honors

Free to shine, is your avatar from New Year's on Sydney Harbor? It looks like the fireworks over the Harbor Bridge last year. That's what my avatar is - a pic of a big one going off last year/this year. Gotta find a new one today if I get time.

11. Free to shine

Yep, I just copied one I found, not even sure what year it is! I've only seen it in person twice, so spectacular.

12. The Oracle

" Living Doll"

Sung by Cliff Richard. Its the first one.

Ring any bells?

I like the bagpipes. Never had the priviledge of hearing them in my front
    yard. I'll search U-tube on that.

Mostly In the UK one must pay twice what one pays in the USA for
    just about anything.

I'll be visiting there in a few months. Hope to meet some friends. :)[/QUOTE]

Well you just hang on because I called my uncle this morning and he has dug up and old Christmas photo of me and him at Christmas. I think he is taking it to a neighbor that will scan it and email it to me tomorrow, if I can figure out the photo bucket loading stuff I will have an old Christmas photo to post tomorrow.

If you're coming to the U.S. gotta come by me!

Yeah. my people got in Scotland and were paying like 400.00 a night for bed and breakfast on sheepherdin ranches.

Kinda wierd. More expensive than Disneyland.

T.I.

13. The Oracle

You have had such a remarkable life. Did it ever occurr to you to write a sceenplay?

T.I.

14. The Oracle

About the whiskey, it was the only medicine given to me as a child. Until my uncle married a Swedish woman who knew how to make potato vodka called aquovete or something like that. Everytime I got a cold I was staggering around the house. But I recall this medicine was a mix of onion juice, sugar and whiskey. And two tablespoons of that and I was on the road again. Then of all things my Uncle who was a medical doctor, quite brilliant really, went to live on an Indian reservation to help the Indians. He was there about one year and came back with all sorts of healing products he got from the Indians.
    There was a tea I am struggleing to remember now and it was quite illegle at the time, that I drank early on that put me way out there. Let me go look for it on the net and come back. Anyway, the rest had gone to California to smoke pot and trip on LSD, spent a year in the Haight Ashbury at the Fillmore west and well, by the time I was 16 there was nothing I hadn't been high on.
    By that time Bob Dillon was getting high with us and sleeping with a black actress women we knew named Annie who was in the original version of Jesus Christ Super Star musical in San Fransisco. She had to babysit for me so often and she stuck me in vacant chairs in the audience and I can still remember just about every song from that musical. I've got to give my family credit for being cutting edge. When I was 16 I went to my grandfather and told him about Scientology and he cosigned a loan for me to buy a clear package. I paid him back. Something changed after I went clear, they all got scared of me. Guess I kind of surpassed them in outragiousness. My grandfather was a freemason. He got sick once and I flew to where he was to give him a touch asist. When I told him I was going to touch him all over and ask him if he could feel my finger he ran from the house as if all hell had broke loose. It was wierd to see the man who raised me terrified of me.

T.I.

15. Kerry

Kerry Patron with Honors

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I'm posting this in this thread because my computer's a total SNAIL until after midnight tonight due to our daughter's GROSS NEGLIGENCE and I'm finding it hard to get to the front page to see if there's a New Year's Thread - (the little sh*t used our monthly gigs for primetime hours which is most of the damn time I want this dang machine, and last month our son did the same thing :angry: - I'm sure I've ranted about this already somewhere).

We are on vacation at the moment, and I have PLENTY of time to post and am purdy mad at the little twerp for my near-blackout, but ah well. I'll see if I can check in later. Just wanted to tell Ems I love her as well. :blush:

That's sad news about the cost of staying in Scotland! I'm dying to go there next time we're in the U.K. But there Are ways of doing this like apartment or house trading For Free. Any suggestions for places of extreme beauty are welcome!

16. Free to shine

No...never! Oh well maybe once or twice.... :D
    You too! You have way more stories than me.

ps I love the story of your grandfather and all the stuff you did.

17. Emma

Emma Con te partirò Administrator

Awww...I love you toooo!!! :biglove:

This year is gunna be great. I have a good feeling about it.

Have a wonderful time on your holiday! Talk to you when you get back.

:hug:

18. Free to shine

Happy New Year Kerry!!!

19. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

I toured the whole west coast by car from Glasgow, passing by Loch Lomond, Loch Ness, Ferry to the Isle of Skye, which is incredibly beautifull,
    Ferry off the other end of Skye, the Hebrides, where on Lewis there is a most beautifull stone circle. Google "Callanish" and select Images. Then all the way to John O Groats. ( Northernly tip) Lots of castles, and Lochs and breathtaking scenery.

You can stay in Bed and Breakfasts and probably don't need to plan where you stay the night each day. B&Bs are probably around £30 per night.
    Autumn is supposed to be best, but I think anytime would be cool. I did
    it in summer.

20. The Oracle

I was lucky that after I was 8 the people raising me were trying to get through college at the same time. I got taken to a lot of courses at the University of California and Sanfransisco State and was introduced to middle English, Chaucer, William Blake, and I loved sitting through the classes. I was wondering if anyone else here was in Berkeley during the People's Park Riots?

Anyway, I would love to hear more about your time in Scotland, what the people were like then, what the culture was about, the economy and the food.

When I was in the Sea Org there was only one mission in Scotland, I can't recall the name of it now. That really came a surprise to me. But someone said the Scots just traveleled down to Saint Hill. You must have some great stories that illustrate that time period and what sort of people were coming to Saint Hill?

T.I.