What's new

How to spot a cult in New Zealand

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Terrific Glenda, Genny, and Lance. Thank you for bravely bringing this to NZ viewers. It all came together so well. Fascinating how the cults share the same hallmarks. Pschotic, ego maniac leaders with a certain creepy charisma, the creation of guilt and fear in the followers, and the breaking of them to assure compliance. Looking forward to next week's episode. Enjoy your scotch! I'm having a celebratory NZ Marlborough Sauvingnon Blanc, the Queen of wines!

Thanks Kutta. Yeah it was fascinating the way they threaded it all together.

Amazing re-enactments of those ethics/justice actions. They were very realistic!

Did you see the "next week preview" with me at a cemetery?

Have a Sav Blanc for me! Have two! Three!

Eldon

Patron
Bugger! It says vid only available to NZ viewers.

I think this has to do with their distribution rights. This was produced by an independent production house, not the station itself. I heard from an Aussie friend who was interviewed about Avatar, the daughter cult, that they were negotiating with a station to air it in Oz as well.

The news promo thing, was produced by the station, and not blocked. Maybe it's time to get one of those programs that spoof IP numbers. :wink2:

Kutta

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think I may have caught a glimpse of you at the cemetery. Yeah, I did! Mystery sandwich there. WTF is that about? Hope not a personal tragedy.

On to my 2nd savvy! Big one!

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think I may have caught a glimpse of you at the cemetery. Yeah, I did! Mystery sandwich there. WTF is that about? Hope not a personal tragedy.

On to my 2nd savvy! Big one!

I'd have to drink all your wine before I could tell you WTF the cemetery scene is about Kutta. :coolwink:

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thought this might be the case.

I'll get my people onto it! lol

It is being worked on I believe. :whistling:

Wow! What a ride!

Sallydance, Youtube is the easiest for us in Oz because it has memory once it is loaded and we can then play it without it stopping every 10 seconds. The internet is slow here for some reason and can't transmit a video all in one go.

Kutta

I'd happily share it with you. Got 3 more bottles on hand! Got to go beddie byes now though. WHat's it like being a TV star? I'll read your answer in the mornin, first thing.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sallydance, Youtube is the easiest for us in Oz because it has memory once it is loaded and we can then play it without it stopping every 10 seconds. The internet is slow here for some reason and can't transmit a video all in one go.

Got it. :)

I do not know how this all works. I know the documentary has distribution rights which are owned by the production company.

This is all a bit tricky. I really wish you could all see this doco. It is done very well.

sallydannce

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'd happily share it with you. Got 3 more bottles on hand! Got to go beddie byes now though. WHat's it like being a TV star? I'll read your answer in the mornin, first thing.

I'll be round in a few mins to drink ya wine!

A star? Nope.

It feels surreal. It is partly my way of ending this huge part of my life and moving on. So while surreal it also feels very liberating.

Once bitten

Patron Meritorious
YEah, You Tube is the way to go. We need to ask Gary after all it's his doco, but it was bloody good. I couldn't sleep, and when I saw the re-enactment of the CommEv it was like it was real all over again. It was very very well done. Can't wait for part 2! There is also a bit on a current affairs pgm as well, not sure when it will be ..... hopefully this week.

Kutta

It feels surreal. It is partly my way of ending this huge part of my life and moving on. So while surreal it also feels very liberating.

So happy for you Sallydannce.

Hope we can get together for a knees up and vino sometime. Any plans to come down to CHCH any time?

Sleepyhead

Patron
[...] also a bit on a current affairs pgm as well, not sure when it will be ..... hopefully this week.

Just saw a section on "Campbell Live" this evening. There were some excerpts from the doco, and also a bit of a set-to between Aaron Saxton and that Ferris guy, amongst other things. (Aaron: :rock: on dude...)

This came at a good time. There have been some "distractions" with NZ media today: Mt Erebus crash (had some rellies involved actually), and "ETS" ... so haven't seen or heard much media reaction apart from the above so far.

[Update]
See under "General Discussion" thread:
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=14962
or
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/15-m...e-scientology-aaron-saxton-3news-co-nz-57329/

Last edited:

Once bitten

Patron Meritorious
Well, after almost doing my head in and learning heaps I have managed to get this documentary up into vimeo. Here it is. It might not be perfect, but I'm learning all the time!! Not bad for an old girl!

It puts scn up where it belongs ..... alongside WACO!!

http://www.vimeo.com/7842922

Carmel

Crusader
Oh Gen, thanks for that work, this vid is so valuable, and I'm so pleased to have seen it!

Crikey, I found it so informative and enlightening. I'm still shaking my head about how all those interviewed and what they were saying, was also so applicable to Scn. If ya didn't know it, you'd think they were all former scientologists talking about Scn. The psychologist and professor guys certainly were hitting the nail on the head in regard to how cults operate......and Scn certainly fits the bill.

You did such a fine job in your interview Gen, you explained it so well, and so did glenda and Lance. Good on all of you! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to watching part 2.

Cheers, guys! :happydance:

dontscamme

Patron Meritorious
I just watched the Vimeo video.

My system often stops to buffer youtube videos, especially those in HQ, but this Vimeo video ran smoothly throughout.

Good work, Kiwis! Nice to see some of you on video. :happydance:

Eldon

Patron
Vimeo has taken it down. Too bad, but I heard the producer was working on selling rights to it in Oz and elsewhere, so you can't blame them. I'm sure it'll show up online eventually.

Once bitten

Patron Meritorious
Vimeo has taken it down. Too bad, but I heard the producer was working on selling rights to it in Oz and elsewhere, so you can't blame them. I'm sure it'll show up online eventually.

Yes, I had to take it down due to copyright restrictions. At present it is being edited so that the copyright bits are removed and hopefully it will be up again very soon .... along with part 2 which was incredibly powerful. The way they told the stories of the scn suicides and suicides in other cults was particularly powerful.

randomx

Patron with Honors
Scientology vs "How to spot a cult"

The results are in

Complaint under section 8(1B)(b)(i) of the Broadcasting Act 1989

Inside New Zealand: How to Spot a Cult – two-part documentary – spoke to former members of cults – included three former members of Scientology – allegedly in breach of controversial issues, accuracy and fairness

Findings

Standard 4 (controversial issues – viewpoints) – programmes did not discuss a controversial issue of public importance – not upheld

Standard 5 (accuracy) – programmes were not inaccurate or misleading – not upheld

Standard 6 (fairness) – Church of Scientology was well informed about the nature of the programmes – Church’s responses were included in the programme – not unfair – not upheld

A sample.... [30] The Church reiterated its argument that the style of the programmes was unfair and misleading and it considered that the programme had a deliberate “crime series feel”, which resulted in Scientology being “unjustly made to look criminal”.

Here is the full finding....

http://www.bsa.govt.nz/decisions/2010/2010-045.htm