ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

I Am Not Anonymous

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by Lynn Fountain Campbell, Jan 30, 2008.

1. One question to you Lynn that occured to me afterwards: I read earlier today that Scn commonly refers to outsiders as "Wogs", which is pretty common knowledge. What I did not know though was the origin of this word. It is apparently (correct me if I'm wrong) an esoteric British word which was used to describe immigrant Africans. I was shocked to hear this and leads me to wonder if you had ever experienced any racially-motivated ill-treatment?

I'm very curious how an organization could use such a word, yet still encourage other races to join. That to me is like the Nazi's allowing a few Jew's in for whatever reason (in Scn's case, it would obviously be money). But nonetheless, it just doesn't make sense to me (shocking that something in Scn doesn't make sense, I know).

2. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Crusader

There is no racial connotation whatsoever as it is used in Scn.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wog

When I was a kid this term was used, derogatorily, for black immigrants - most of whom arrived in the 50s when there was full employment in Britain and there were apparently difficulties in filling some unskilled job positions.

Whatever it's origin. The term is ill-chosen and the concept behind it offensive.

In the technical dictionary there is:

1. Worthy Oriental Gentleman. This means a common ordinary run-of-the-mill garden-variety humanoid.
    2. A wog is somebody who isn't even trying.

Hope this helps.

3. I thought that sounded awfully strange. Thanks for clearing that up.

4. beyond_horizons

beyond_horizons Patron Meritorious

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the invite. Haven’t been down that way in over a decade and a half. It's always great to hear when someone pops out of the scientology bubble and into the real world.

:happydance:

As far as that haircut … here’s a little story about the name ‘Shear Perfection’ you might enjoy.

Back in the early 80,s just before I left the first time the Aspartame tm sweetened cheesecake idea, that was supposed to make her a millionaire, turned out to be a flop. So Dina decided to go into the hair business. We stayed up all night long brainstorming that name. She actually came up with it bless her dearly departed soul.

I never did get my introductory haircut for my efforts.

:whistling:

5. Lynn Fountain Campbell

Lynn Fountain Campbell Silver Meritorious Patron

Hey, you know, I thought I'd test out this idea with something bland and innocuous like "Support Free Speech - Go to www.forum.exScn.net. Who wouldn't be for that, right? So I put the sign in my window yesterday afternoon.

Oh. My. God.

A quintessential plain-clothes OSA-looking type made rabid, mad dog faces in my window and clawed at it like he wanted to tear something apart.

Silly. Didn't he know anything he did was bound to end up on the Internet sooner or later?

The next thing that happened was that my 4:00 haircut guy (a Scientologist) came in and asked me what my sign meant and if I was an "Ex."

I told him you don't have to be an "Ex" to go there, but sometimes you do need to talk about it.

He said "OK," and walked out without getting his haircut. Wow. Wouldn't even look. Maybe he can't handle others communicating with others.

So that's disconnection in action. I'd been cutting his hair for about 15 years, and just like that -- bye-bye.

I'm on my way over there now for an appointment with a CMO/RTC girl. It'll be entertaining to see if she shows up. Oh, the suspense....

I brought popcorn.

Lynn

6. Lynn Fountain Campbell

Well, I do know that back in the '70s FCDC had a secret "no-nig" policy, and non-whites had a hard time staying around in most Scientology orgs. So much so that Amanda Ambrose (black singer, recently deceased) felt the need to start a group called Ebony Awakening, so we could feel we belonged somewhere in the group. Most non-whites are sensitive to that "vibe." I felt it many times.

Right now they're encouraging other groups to join. People who maybe haven't seen what's going on on the internet so much. But it hasn't always been that way. "Scientology makes the able more able." Other groups weren't/aren't considered "able," I guess.

Lynn

7. Div6

Div6 Crusader

Please...the suspense is killing me. What did the RTC droid have to say?

8. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

You put that sign up!!!

That is so excellent!! :happydance:

Anything you need, Lynn.

Let me know!!!

LOL!!!!

:hysterical::hysterical:

9. Div6

Div6 Crusader

"That all men have inalienable rights to think freely, to talk freely, to write freely their own opinions and to counter or utter or write upon the opinions of others"

http://forum.excsn.net

I'd pay to get nice signs like this printed and posted around orgs...

10. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

And, until your new customer base arrives, you should probably take a good book...

maybe 'Tom Cruise - an unauthorized Biography' by Morton.

I'm just finishing it up; pretty good! (and surprisingly fair, considering the squawks)

Zinj

11. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

A secret " no nig" policy?

One thing I've always considered COS was good at was no racial discrimination and no gender discrimination. Well, you see from my picture I'm a white guy, so maybe havn't been exposed to matters you have. This a secret policy or just existing discrimination?

Also in UK we are on the whole racially tolerant.

You are a black class VIII. Maybe your story would be interesting?

12. TheSneakster

TheSneakster Guest

not important

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  13. Fancy

Fancy Patron Meritorious

Then I would call for a wellness check if no one hears from her from the police.

Barb

14. Lynn Fountain Campbell

Hi Mike,

Yes, I'm fine. She was just coming in for a haircut, that's all. She was happy with it, and she and her communicator were very nice to me. Also, one of their bike patrol security guards made a point of reading my sign and smiling and waving and engaging me in conversation. They are all being very nice.

After all, they had to do something to neutralize the bad PR they got from those two the other day -- who, by the way, probably didn't think they were doing anything wrong. They were only following policy, right? But now that their policy is being held up to the light of day, it doesn't look so good, does it?

Bad PR. Fate worse than death to them.

Reminds me of a thing I read somewhere. When you tell someone smoking will kill you, they shrug it off. But when you say it'll give you wrinkles...:omg:

So getting their non-profit status removed might be what kills them, but BAAAAAAAD PR -- that gets them quaking in their boots.

Thank goodness for this board. Thank you, Emma.:clap:

Lynn

15. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

She lives! :)

Thanks for the update. Interesting turnaround. I don't care if they are doing it as part of a campaign. Good for them. Praise where it is due.

Maybe they'll cancel disconnection next week....

Paul

16. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

And, watch your back :) Glad you're doon good Lynn

Zinj

17. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

Good luck with it all. :)

Perhaps an addition to your website/promo whatever:-

" Hair stylist to RTC. "

Its suprising they were nice to you. maybe they are inherently cool dudes, but I don't recall COS ever doing " Nice" when under anything they consider an attack, or to anyone associated with SPs. Perhaps Paul's right.

Disconnection next week?

That would indeed be sheer perfection. :)

18. Colleen K. Peltomaa

Colleen K. Peltomaa Silver Meritorious Patron

Lynn, would you please show us a picture of that sign? I would love to see it, oh boy! You did not take it down did you?

19. Colleen K. Peltomaa

Colleen K. Peltomaa Silver Meritorious Patron

You are right Terril. They are awesome at insincere love-bombing. I never saw a bunch of more able two-faced talkers than when I was in CofS. Mostly the staff that are related to PR and getting donations from you when they think you have money. Keep your TRs in missy and don't turn your back.

20. Terril park

Terril park Sponsor

I think you missed my point Colleen.

You ever seen an SP love bombed?

Ever seen an ESMB member love bombed?

Well I mean externally by COS/OSA of course.

We do not know how Emma rose above the bank to keep an even keel under the intense internal love-bombing she has endured.

No doubt she has also endured thousands of stupid suggestions on improving ESMB which would have crashed the board.

Emma moderator tech may not be a perfect tech, but it is a workable tech.

We are lucky she is so good at KMW no 7 ( or thereabouts) Smashing out of existence any who would violate the rules of moderation.

Smacking Tansy around for example.

Note how the fixed dedicated glare of posting status is undimmed here.
    This is our eternity. Enshrined forever in the wayback machine.

( if Anonymous succeeds in trashing the COS that is)