ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

I received my repayment too !

Discussion in 'Life After Scientology' started by rizbash, Mar 19, 2009.

1. rizbash

rizbash Patron

Hello all, I want to share with you all that I received my repayment this week after 7 months of comm cycles with CoS. I had quit the CoS last August.

I had never ever imagined that I would quit the CoS. It was not even in the slightest of my considerations, and here I am an ex-scientologist now.

I don't write much on this message board (for the lack of time), though I read this message board regularly. I have seen some very good scientologists here on this message board (Oh sorry, shouldn't I refer to ex-scientologists as scientologists? But I feel some people here are better scientologists than those $cientologists in the church.)

2. HappyGirl

HappyGirl Gold Meritorious Patron

:congratulations: emerald!

3. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Good for you, Emerald. I love to hear about people getting refunds!!:happydance:

4. Iknowtoomuch

Iknowtoomuch Gold Meritorious Patron

Great job. Now back to your real life!:thumbsup:

5. sallydannce

sallydannce Gold Meritorious Patron

Good for you Emerald!

Does this mean you are shouting us all a nice coffee? No sugar in mine thanks.

Enjoy life!

6. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

Way to go, Emerald.

Are there any tips you learned in dealing with your repayment cycle that you can share?

7. Good twin

Good twin Floater

Good job, Emerald. Thanks for the good news about your repayment.

I also feel that the best Scientologists have arrived here. :thumbsup:

8. Tiger Lily

Tiger Lily Gold Meritorious Patron

Good job Emerald! Glad to hear that you were able to make it happen. Did they declare you for it?

:)

-TL

9. Voltaire's Child

Voltaire's Child Fool on the Hill

Good for you, Emerald!

10. rizbash

rizbash Patron

Thank you all. I would like to respond to some of your questions here.

Yes, I learned some tips during this process of getting my repayment. I may not remember all, but I will put down whatever I remember right now, in brief.
    1. The first thing I did was to stop communicating with them on phone; I stopped picking up their phone calls, because phone conversations lead me into topics that I never intend to get into, in the first place. And all those phone calls are with their intention of recovering me; so it is useless to pick up those phone calls. I started communicating with them in writing on paper with my signature and I insisted the same from them. I didn't even use emails. I wanted everything in writing.

2. I didn't want to do the routing form that makes me go through several terminals at the org before I get the repayment. So I tried contacting some lawyers in my locality, and found that no one was willing to do anything with or confront the CoS. At last, I decided to do without a lawyer. I ended up partially filling up the routing form NOT agreeing to the 3% processing fee they charge. I realize that they are afraid of bad PR, and that is the fact I took advantage of in order to get my money. I warned them that I would write to the Mayor of the city and if necessary to the Attorney General of the State and the Consumer Frauds department. And in the process, I ended up complaining to all those terminals due to the delay caused by the CoS. I even received replies from the Mayor and the Attorney General's office, and the Attorney General's office seemed to be eager to take a formal complaint in their complaint form.

However, when I received the repayment I found that 2% processing charge had been deducted.

If any one would like to know the detailed exchange of comm I had with them during this cycle, pm me. I can email a copy of all those letters of our comm.
    --------------------------------

And no, they did not declare me, though I too had expected to be declared. I don't even intend to be involved in any activity that they think is suppressive to them. I will focus on my spiritual progress through different means, like Idenics and others. Oh yes, doing Idenics or studying Eckhart Tolle might get me declared, but I wouldn't care about it anymore. My wounds in the CoS are not as deep as many of yours - I was not on staff. I was only a public. But I have deeeeeep financial wounds. Not being on staff does not make me any less passionate about the subject of scientology or spirituality. When I first read Dianetics during my college days, I was attracted to Dianetics and scientology so much so that I couldn't stop thinking about it every second of every day, and any Dianetics or Scientology group was not accessible from where I lived in my country those days during the early 90's. I guess I am drifting into my past here, I think I will tell more about myself later when time permits.

Some of you had asked me last year if I am an Irish due to my user id "emerald". No, I am an Indian. I chose this random username of "emerald" to remain unidentified. Now I am going to request the moderator to change my username to "rizbash". Any OSA guys who know me can easily identify me with this username - rizbash. My name is Rizwan Basha.

I will try to write more frequently than I have been writing in the last 7 months.

-Rizwan (no more emerald)
    ---------------------

11. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

Thank you very much, Rizwan!

And congratulations on your attainment of freedom from the tyranny of the Church of Scientology!

12. cantsay

cantsay Patron Meritorious

Are you going to try to get the 2% processing charge back? Another mention of going to the press and a copy of another complaint to the Attorney General would proabably do the trick!

As a silly question (Im sure everyone else knows this already) does a repayment mean getting back the unused money on account, or the money you paid for services delivered? As in "this wasnt the product promised so I want a refund"?

13. rizbash

rizbash Patron

I don't think I am going to pursue now for the 2% now. It is not worth the effort to get it. I guess that is the fact that the Cos is taking advantage of, that people will let it go considering that it is not worth the effort.

And, there is another thing I did at the beginning of my requests for repayment. I had fortunately had a copy of my full statement of all donations to the church I made since I stepped into the org. I checked the statement entry by entry verifying that it was correct. I found 3 errors on their part. CoS had manipulated transactions in my statement during the time I was not online and when I had money in my account over there. There were some credits and debits to my account for the material I had purchased years ago, and so as to cause more debits from my account than the credits. I documented these transactions neatly in a tabular form and presented to them with the request and they credited the amount back. As a result, I received about a 1000 $s more than what I would've got otherwise.

Verify your statements before requesting the amount.

-Rizwan

14. apple

apple Patron Meritorious

refunds

Yes you did your refund in an effective way. I was a public also and got a refund using almost the same method.

Contacted the CoS requesting a statement of moneys on account. Then requested it. After it didnt happen I contacted public officials and also got a reply from the Attorney General. They charged me much more then a 2% processing fee though. I am not happy about it but I did get the bulk of the unused money back. I also communicated with them by letter, no phone calls (I was too far away from them and not phone accessible). I consider the processing fee as the last kick at the cat, all the more reason to never go back or to give them credit for being an ethical organization.

15. Lohan2008

Lohan2008 Gold Meritorious Patron

16. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

:welcome: Riswan and thanks for your pointers on repayments.

Glad you too are out and cult-free! :D

17. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

I'm amazed that they can get away with charging a processing fee. Inflation generally runs at least 5% a year, whatever the "official" figures from the government who lie as much as the CofS. At a minimum, they have been making 5% per annum compound interest on your principal. Rather than pay you any of that accumulated interest, they have the cheek to deduct 2% or 5% or whatever!

What if people getting repayments demanded 5% p.a. compound interest on top of the principal amount and screw the "processing fee"? It would be nearer the truth of the matter.

Paul

18. rizbash

rizbash Patron

That's exactly how I felt, Apple. "The last kick at the cat" - that explains how I feel. I don't know many of these idioms/phrases in English - I'll try to learn them.

When I lost so much money already, let that be one last thing. Though they might think they won by deducting the 2% fee, I'd consider they lost because they really lost one chicken that lays golden eggs for them and not a single penny from my pocket will ever go to them.

I will never ever even watch a TC or JT or any Scn.ist's movie in a theatre again. It is not that it makes any difference to those millionaires' income, but just that it is against my principles.

19. rizbash

rizbash Patron

You are right Paul. The fact is that they have people dedicated to work on these matters; and to us, after having received a bulk of the amount after so much effort, struggling again for the remaining small amount is not worth the effort. I guess they know this fact and take advantage of it. That is how ethical this organization is.

-Rizwan

20. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

I know what you mean.

There was a promotion for Mission Impossible III on cable TV the other night, and watching Tom Cruise made me cringe and feel nauseous. I had to look away. He was so fake. The guy is just an embarrassment now.

And all those other celebs who are still promoting the cult. Do they know about the enforced abortions, the destruction of families through disconnection, the suppression of rights - and STILL try to get their fans involved?

If they don't know about these things, IT'S WORSE: It is the height of irresponsibility to allow your good name and image to be used to promote something that is harming people and not know about it for years.

So yeah. I'm all for boycotting these people until they step up and either kick Davey out, or walk out and publicly denounce the specific abuses of Scientology.

Note: I do like all of Tom Cruise's ex-wives and girlfriends, though.

I will always support them.