What's new

Is Mosey pressing on or do you all expect a settlement?

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
I think I read in another thread that folks are worried it looks like a settlement is coming? Please say it ain't so! I am a month behind in Tony reading but I figured y'all could maybe point me in the right direction to get caught up on the latest on this case?

tetloj

Hi Miss Wog

:wave:

There was some speculation here about 2 weeks ago after something Marty posted on his blog that he might be leading up to a settlement but that was just blog speculation. There has been nothing concrete AFAIK (I will try and dig out the posts but I'm thinking needle and haystack)

Back in seconds - it was on this still active thread:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...y-quot-Rathbun&p=928194&viewfull=1#post928194

Last edited:

Lone Star

Crusader
I think I read in another thread that folks are worried it looks like a settlement is coming? Please say it ain't so! I am a month behind in Tony reading but I figured y'all could maybe point me in the right direction to get caught up on the latest on this case?

It ain't so.

The case is bogged down with motions and appeals. The first decision on the appeal heard in April could come any day now. It may not come until late June or July though.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
It ain't so.

The case is bogged down with motions and appeals. The first decision on the appeal heard in April could come any day now. It may not come until late June or July though.

..which makes a settlement that more enticing. Settlements are often reached when court cases get tied down in motions & appeals. I suspect if Mosey agrees to a settlement, it will bill for a lot of $$$ and an a non-harassment order attached. If the cult breached the order, they have to pay so much $$$ in sanctions.

Despite wanting to hit DM where it hurts, Mosey & Marty have their emotional & psychological limits like anyone else. Plus, they have a small child to raise. Whatever the outcome, the decision will be made on what's best for Mosey.

Leland

Crusader
A time extension had been granted to defendants attorneys until June sometime....due to claimed involvement in other cases and clients.

Just waiting until then.

Last edited:

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
A time extension had been granted to defendants attorneys until June sometime....due to claimed involvement in other cases and clients.

Lovely. It means there will a hearing in June, then even more delays because of "scheduled" Summer vacations by the defendant attorneys. :unsure:

secretiveoldfag

I am neither a lawyer nor a Marty-watcher but I would be very surprised if s/he having pushed the wee man into a corner and jumped on him will take money and let him off the hook, to mix a metaphor or two. Why not hang on and get even with him and get the money too?

But I really don't think this is about money. It's a god-given way of getting at DM. The Rathbuns are old campaigners; they have been up against this stuff for years now and I believe this case has been a long time making and will not be given up easily. Why give up when you have survived all the fair-gaming and have got your opponent against the ropes?

I hope I'm right.

Smurf

Gold Meritorious SP
But I really don't think this is about money. It's a god-given way of getting at DM. The Rathbuns are old campaigners; they have been up against this stuff for years now and I believe this case has been a long time making and will not be given up easily. Why give up when you have survived all the fair-gaming and have got your opponent against the ropes? I hope I'm right.

I do, too, but the Rathbuns have to think ahead & consider the case may not go their way in the future when the appellate courts get the case. Remember, Marc & Claire Headley believed they had a strong case, too, until an idiot federal judge ruled against them & forced them to pay the cult's legal fees & court costs.

The Rathbuns may be fighters, but they also don't want to end up with the potential of having to fork over $$$ to the cult if they, eventually, lose the case or find the evidentiary strong points of the case whittled down by some judicial decision. It's impossible to predict how courts will rule on issues nowadays.

They may find a settlement, if substantial enough, to be worthwhile.

richardgrant

I am neither a lawyer nor a Marty-watcher but I would be very surprised if s/he having pushed the wee man into a corner and jumped on him will take money and let him off the hook, to mix a metaphor or two. Why not hang on and get even with him and get the money too?

But I really don't think this is about money. It's a god-given way of getting at DM. The Rathbuns are old campaigners; they have been up against this stuff for years now and I believe this case has been a long time making and will not be given up easily. Why give up when you have survived all the fair-gaming and have got your opponent against the ropes?

I hope I'm right.

I agree with all of this. And I also think Marty has a personal sense of mission and of historic opportunity. I got the strong impression that he was disappointed by how the Debbie Cook case ended, especially after he had been instrumental in finding Ray Jeffrey, the attorney who represented Cook and is now representing Monique. This time around, by a stroke of luck, the judge in the case has proven to be adept and tough-minded at puncturing the church's complicated legal theatrics. The only issue before the appeals court right now, as I understand it, is the question of whether Miscavige must be deposed. The main part of the case — the church's campaign of harassment — has been moving along well (though slowly) and Judge Waldrip has already made some findings that will probably be useful in future legal actions that we all hope are coming. The church has also damaged itself by admitting to the harassment (which it tries to justify on religious grounds). The longer this goes on, the deeper the damage is likely to be, as the church's defenses are steadily dismantled.

Monique may choose to declare victory and take a settlement at some point, but I'd be very surprised if it happens soon.

FWIW, they have the kid to consider, but settling between Marty and DM, which it would be essentially, could be less settling than it would be for anyone else.

I would imagine that DM, even if he settled, would want to see Marty fucked over as much as possible and would still run covert ops on him and mosey and possibly the kid, even if it took years. That is one reason why Marty might want to "Destroy him utterly" and completely defang him.

I would think one of the big issues here would not be the money but the non-disclosure agreement that Scientology is sure to demand. Didn't Debbie Cook have to sign one? I don't know the Rathbuns, but it doesn't seem like something they would do.

Mick Wenlock

Admin Emeritus (retired)
I hope that Mosey (primarily) and Marty make the decision that they deem best for them and their family. Whatever it may be. I have my "issues" with Marty but I think it is about time he stopped trying to be "le chevalier sans peur et sans reproche" - always putting the cause higher than the personal needs. Just become a real person, a real husband and father.

MissWog

Thanks for all the info folks! As far as should they settle or not.. Well, it wasn't my life savings I donated to the cult that the Rathbuns could walk away with but I'd hate to see the reaction they will get if they take millions and millions of dollars, and DM never get deposed, while some here are struggling to get by. I see the arguments all around and I don't have an opinion really..I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Last edited:

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Out of pure spite and vengeance from the deepest parts of my blackened heart, I hope they don't settle, the judge continues to make clear headed (no pun intended) decisions, and Miscavige gets his tiny dick nailed to the wall in some prison. (Mmmm .... maybe it would have to be pinned to wall .... a nail might be too big.) But I also know how very exhausting it is to be entangled in a court case of any length. Physically, emotionally, psychologically, and spiritually - it has the ability to suck energy out of every part of your life. Sometimes you need to disengage and walk away with what you can... sometimes you need to fight until the bitter end. I hope it's the latter but I also hope they do what is right for their family.

Blanky

betskand

Patron with Honors
Thanks for all the info folks! As far as should they settle or not.. Well, it wasn't my life savings I donated to the cult that the Rathbuns could walk away with but I'd hate to see the reaction they will get if they take millions and millions of dollars, and DM never get deposed, while some here are struggling to get by. I see the arguments all around and I don't have an opinion really..I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Miss W, if they settle and DM does NOT get deposed, I hereby invite you to a wake and get-drunk-and-eat-chocolate-and-cry evening on my patio.

Betsy

PS. I will make guacamole and menudo. If THAT doesn't make us feel better, nothing will.

Last edited:

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
^ the decision will be made on what's best for Mosey and family. Exscn members will have to keep an eye on future Otega blog/s

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

When debbie Cook settled with DM
there has been quite strong reactions, especially for people who donate to her found.

I believe people don't expect anything - they just wait and see. :confused2:

Either this case will be settle for the Rathbun's to live a life at peace
Either this will be a deadly battle for DM :confused2:

I only wish Monique and the baby would get relief of such destructive stress and pressure - they have never been $cientologists and shall be kept away of any fight or stalking.

Last edited:

Wants2Talk

I hope she chooses to be a hero. How many are given such a chance? She can sell her story for more than DM will pay her...and the Gods will notice.:thumbsup: