ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Is Scientology really that bad?

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by Voodoo, Jul 6, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. PirateAndBum

PirateAndBum Gold Meritorious Patron

I was until I got into Scn. Now, no. I've come to better understandings about spiritual matters since leaving the co$

lotus likes this.
  2. Gib

Gib Crusader

I'm not a professing Christian, why should I be one?

Tell me the gibberish.

Type4_PTS and tesseract like this.
  3. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Scientology is polytheistic (we are all fallen gods) who need to clear our reactive minds and then go on to OT.

Christianity (Paul, Saul-of-Tarsus) called it "The Way". We are not gods.
    And this was a piggy-back on top of the tribal Hebrew religion for the so-called final animal sacrifice for sins (ancient practices).

For spiritual beliefs, Scientology and Christianity are not compatible.
    But I guess that some people can play tap-dancing games around this.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  4. lotus

lotus stubborn rebel sheep!

Same here!

I still embrace the moral principles, as a light on my path but, rejected the dogma, the Church, the old testament..a shame...and obviously the new testament is full of embelishment and lies...shall go in the same recycling bin than Xenu...

Although I practice buddhism, I don't follow anything that would be imposed to me as a belief or as being a truth!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    tesseract and pineapple like this.
  5. George Layton

George Layton Silver Meritorious Patron

Is meth really that bad? It's just like any other drug.

Type4_PTS and Clay Pigeon like this.
  6. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

Me too! I lived for those funk groups. There is no better dance music. We must be around the same age.

Thanks for the correction on the lyric. I looked up the title on Wikipedia and George is now my hero after reading "Many of the songs (such as the title track and "Eulogy and Light") subvert Christian themes, including the Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm."

7. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

We have a similar path. I went to Catholic parochial school 1-8. At some point when I was in the 6th grade at 11 years old my mind opened and I decided the whole shebang was not for me. I had a paper route then and on Sunday mornings I delivered papers at the crack of dawn. My dad normally would get up around 10am to go the to 12pm mass. I told him I went to the 8am mass after finishing my paper route when in fact I didn't. I hated going to mass as it was a big waste of time. Some months later I think he got suspicious that I wasn't going and asked what the sermon was about one Sunday. I told him "Oh, I never listen to those things" and left it at that. LOL .

To this day I don't subscribe to any particular religion or have any label assignation. I like the feel of not having any label.

Enthetan, tesseract and lotus like this.
  8. Voodoo

Voodoo Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow

Class of '53 here.

Yeah, I was a teenager when Funkadelic first hit the charts. They quickly became one of my favorite bands, as they were doing something totally new and energizing, but familiar at the same time.

I've bought every one of their albums, but one, "America Eats Its Young".

Their music was the score to my life when I was young.

Type4_PTS and Operating DB like this.
  9. Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Gold Meritorious Patron

Dianetics and Christianity are very much compatible

I maintained my integrity as Christian while on staff but that was back in the day. Miscavage has made a dreadful muck of the thing.

And...

If you yourself are not a professing Christian why would you think yourself able to judge their compatibility?

In point of fact you don't appear to know much about either one.

10. Clay Pigeon

Thank you or getting off your w/h...

11. Clay Pigeon

Hey!

We don't totally disagree about everything George.

12. Clay Pigeon

Back in the nineties I was researching something and went into the Boston Public Library to check the Encyclopedia Britanica article on the Bible. It opened by saying "Regardless of your opinion of it one cannot be considered an educated person in Western Civilization without some familiarity with The Bible."

Does this appear to be gibberish to you?

13. Clay Pigeon

There is some godawful brutality in the old testament and a creation myth less at odds with science than either side of the debate will admit. There is also there wisdom lotus which you would likely embrace. I do recommend you sit beneath tree of your choosing mediate yourself into a calm warm state of being and spend some time The Book of Proverbs.

Also...

The cognoscenti are enthralled by the unerring accuracy of the Prophecies of Daniel.

And in The New Testament, if you will shake off all those old Roman cooties, I believe a fresh reading of the Thirteenth Chapter of Paul's first epistle to the church in Corinth will charm you well enough for you to spare it from the recycling bin...

14. Clay Pigeon

Interesting...

Tell me more of your belief pre-scientology

15. Clay Pigeon

You're an agnostic but you appear to lean Deist...

I must say the most virulent atheists I've met were raised Catholic.

And the executives of CoS are mostly catholics who are outrageously mixing practices with the RCC

And thank you all for some lively conversation

16. pineapple

pineapple Silver Meritorious Patron

More Beist than Deist.

The Deists rejected Christianity, but thought there must be a god because the universe needed a creator. It ain't necessarily so, though. Current thinking is the universe began in a Big Bang and will end, eventually, in a Big Crunch. The universe will contract until it's all highly compressed, under immense pressure. But then the immense heat generated by the compression will cause a huge explosion: another Big Bang, and the universe will be born again.

How long has this been going on? Was there a beginning? Or has this cycle been going on FOREVER? I don't think we'll ever know.

But one thing we DO know: Yes, scientology really IS that bad.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    tesseract and Clay Pigeon like this.
  17. Gib

Gib Crusader

yep, that's rhetoric, namely appeal to authority or ethos, namely Boston Public Library and Encyclopedia Britannica and the Bible.

the statement:

" Regardless of your opinion of it one cannot be considered an educated person in Western Civilization without some familiarity with The Bible."

is a statement of appeal to authority, the bible, plus emotions or pathos namely "educated".

18. Me and My Self

Me and My Self Self-born, Autogamous Unicorn

:overanalyser:
    :offtopic::bully:

(Oh. Forgot to answer your question. That would be, presently and absolutely, NO.)

If you are interested in a more detailed answer as to specifics that led me to express my appreciation on your above quoted "said responses", I might develop it later on.
    :overreact::runaway:

Karakorum and tesseract like this.
  19. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket Gold Meritorious Patron

Actually, most people today do consider Scientology to be a religion -- and I'm including still-ins, exes, and general wogs -- but they consider it a weird, not-to-be-trusted kind of religion, like the Assassins.

Helena

Enthetan and Karakorum like this.
  20. strativarius

strativarius Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Who is general wogs, is he on Trump's team?