What's new

Leo Hamel’s Ties to Church of Scientology Eyed in California Assembly Race

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
Leo Hamel’s Ties to Church of Scientology Eyed in California Assembly Race.

Times of San Diego: Leo Hamel’s Ties to Church of Scientology Eyed in Assembly Race

http://timesofsandiego.com/politics...-church-of-scientology-eyed-in-assembly-race/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

San Diego jeweler Leo Hamel
Code:
http://www.leohamel.com/about-us/
, a Republican candidate for state Assembly, says he joined the controversial Church of Scientology at age 18 or 19 but hasn’t taken part in church functions since the early 2000s.

Hamel’s connection to the church founded by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard is being debated on sdrostra.com, a conservative blog, and raised as an issue by one of his rivals.

“The Scientology question is a fair one,” Eric Andersen said in a comment. “Although religion should not be a test for office, it helps us understand the ideas our representatives will uphold.”

Hamel hasn’t responded to the blog about the 71st District race, he told Times of San Diego, “because it’s a lose-lose for me.”

“I’m a good guy. I do nothing but help people in this community. I donate to tons of charities,” he said Wednesday in a phone interview. “I haven’t been to a [Scientology] service … in at least 10 years, maybe 15.”

But he still took offense.

“The fact that we’re discussing somebody’s religion seems kind of against everything that we’re supposed to be standing for these days,” Hamel said. “No matter where my position is on Scientology, it’s still a religion — and it would be inappropriate to discuss someone’s religion — completely inappropriate.”

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

CommunicatorIC

Leo Hamel Scientology Service Completions

http://www.truthaboutscientology.com/stats/by-name/l/leo-hamel.html

Leo Hamel in Scientology's Published Service Completion Lists

The following 15 individual completions for Leo Hamel appear in official Scientology publications:

Leo Hamel SCIENTOLOGY DRUG RUNDOWN Source 72 1990-09-01
Leo Hamel PURIFICATION RUNDOWN Source 75 1991-06-01
Leo Hamel KEY TO LIFE COURSE Freewinds 7 1991-12-01
Leo Hamel LIFE ORIENTATION COURSE Freewinds 7 1991-12-01
Leo Hamel -VOLUME 0 Source 89 1993-10-01
Leo Hamel SCIENTOLOGY DRUG RUNDOWN Source 94 1994-10-01
Leo Hamel STATE OF MAN CONGRESS COURSE Freewinds 25 1997-10-01
Leo Hamel PURIFICATION RUNDOWN Source 111 1997-11-01
Leo Hamel OBJECTIVES Source 111 1997-11-01
Leo Hamel GRADE 0 EXPANDED Source 113 1998-01-01
Leo Hamel GRADE I EXPANDED Source 113 1998-01-01
Leo Hamel GRADE II EXPANDED Source 113 1998-01-01
Leo Hamel GRADE III EXPANDED Source 113 1998-01-01
Leo Hamel SUNSHINE RUNDOWN Source 122 1999-03-01
Leo Hamel ABILITY CONGRESS Freewinds 38 2000-06-01

Note: The dates listed above are the approximate publication dates of the magazines, which may be weeks or months later than the actual date the service was completed.

Leo Hamel in Scientology's Publications

No entries were found in my main Scientology Statistics database for this person.

Leo Hamel and the Clear List

Appearances by Leo Hamel in my Scientology Statistics Project Clear List database:

Clear No. 12,896 LEO HAMEL, Los Angeles Auditor 159

Leo Hamel and Scientologist Online Sites

My database does not list a Scientologist Online cookie-cutter web site for this person.

Leo Hamel and WISE Directories

WISE, the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises, publishes directories listing their members.

Leo Hamel appears in a recent WISE directory:

2001 WISE Directory:

Category: Jewelry
Leo Hamel
Leo Hamel & Co., Inc.
2305 El Cajon Blvd

San Diego, CA 92104-1105
United States
Tel. (1) 619-299-1500
Fax (1) 619-299-1595

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Interesting question about whether a candidate's religion is significant. I think I could argue both sides of that debate.

I would like to know the religious influences of someone I vote for. But I think it's more important how strong their belief is and how extreme the religion is. For instance....

I could NOT vote for a Muslim or a Scientologist because those are religions (cults) that encourage extremism in their adherents. I COULD probably vote for an ex-Muslim or ex-Scientologist, however, depending on their other qualifications/stands on issues.

I probably wouldn't have any trouble voting for an agnostic or even atheist, as they tend to be more intellectual and less swayed by emotions.

There are probably a few other religions that would not be favorable for a candidate, like JWs or Mormons. Or Santeria, LOL

I think what someone believes in tells much about their character.

CommunicatorIC

From Disambiguation on WWP:

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/le...california-assembly-race.131389/#post-2577258

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

Letter to the editor July 9 2005

"The piece that Ruben Navarrette did on Tom Cruise and the problems with psychiatry was excellent. The mass drugging of America is a serious problem that should be addressed, rather than attacking the messenger. Cruise may have been a trifle aggressive, but psychotropic drugs are an important subject.

The billions made by the drug companies do not, in my mind, justify the drugging of a major portion of our culture."

LEO HAMEL
San Diego
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/uniontrib/20050709/news_lz1e9lets.html

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

hummingbird

Patron with Honors
Interesting question about whether a candidate's religion is significant. I think I could argue both sides of that debate.

I would like to know the religious influences of someone I vote for. But I think it's more important how strong their belief is and how extreme the religion is. For instance....

I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in any mythical hoo-doo voodoo. I treat others fairly and honestly, because I think our lives here matter, not what happens after death. I don't think there's a man in the sky pulling strings for anyone, I think it's up to each and every one of us to treat each other, animals, and the planet well. Prayers are bunk, if you want to help a cause, send money or donate your time.

Would you vote for me? Hint: No one votes for an Atheist. You have to be part of the Judeo-Xtian majority to win any type of elected office in this country.

WildKat

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm an Atheist. I don't believe in any mythical hoo-doo voodoo. I treat others fairly and honestly, because I think our lives here matter, not what happens after death. I don't think there's a man in the sky pulling strings for anyone, I think it's up to each and every one of us to treat each other, animals, and the planet well. Prayers are bunk, if you want to help a cause, send money or donate your time.

Would you vote for me? Hint: No one votes for an Atheist. You have to be part of the Judeo-Xtian majority to win any type of elected office in this country.

I would vote for you:thumbsup:

Seriously, there is an assumption that only someone with an "accepted" religion can run and win. But the trend is changing, more and more people do not identify with any religion. Atheists are still at the bottom of the pile though. Because even if they don't identify with established religion, relatively few have the audacity to say they don't accept a God of some sort.

Gizmo

Rabble Rouser
<snip>
“The fact that we’re discussing somebody’s religion seems kind of against everything that we’re supposed to be standing for these days,” Hamel said. “No matter where my position is on Scientology, it’s still a religion — and it would be inappropriate to discuss someone’s religion — completely inappropriate.”

Poor kid. He's dead-assed wrong on that one. Religions are very appropriate for discussion - particularly when some one is running for a PUBLIC office.

JFK's religion got a LOT of discussion back when he ran for president - same for Mitt Romney.

CommunicatorIC

Another excerpt from the article quoted in the OP:

http://timesofsandiego.com/politics...-church-of-scientology-eyed-in-assembly-race/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * *

Wachter said other sites reported donations to the San Diego Ideal Org fund, a local Scientology chapter, by Penny Hamel as recently as 2010.

The "reported donations" link is to the ESMB thread:

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?10115-Donations-to-the-Ideal-Org-San-Diago-Unbelievable!

The ESMB thread states Penny Hamel qualified as a "Friend" who contributed $1 to $499.

According to the article quoted in the OP, Penelope Hamel is Leo Hamel's wife.

I'll also note that the ESMB thread states a Bill Hamel qualified as an Alumni who contributed $5,000. I have no idea whether Bill Hamel is related to Leo Hamel.

CommunicatorIC

Tony Teora for California State Assembly on Leo Hamel's Scientology connections

Tony Teora for California State Assembly criticizes Santee Mayor Randy Voepel for "no comment" on Leo Hamel's alleged Scientology connections.

Tony Teora for State Assembly: Randy Voepel – No Comment?

http://tonyteora.org/randy-voepel-no-comment/

Randy Voepel – No Comment?
March 18, 2016Tony Teora

Santee Mayor Randy Voepel recently told the Times of San Diego that he never comments on people’s beliefs. He was being asked about Leo Hamel’s Scientology connections. Leo is running against myself and Randy in District 71.

Mr. ‘No Comment’ Randy Voepel clearly shows he lacks the leadership skills to work in Sacramento. People want leaders who have a mind, who will get something done, and who have sound judgment, even opinions. Not someone who ‘never comments’.

If someone is running for office and has beliefs that we think are wrong, should we not comment? Of course we should. Randy Voepel, do you think you should have an opinion if you are running against someone who was at some time involved in a cult? Randy Voepel, did you know that Scientology is considered a cult in some countries? Scientology has been sued for teaching ‘medicine’ without a license.

Folks want representatives in Sacramento who have opinions, ideas and good judgment. Randy Voepel is a career politician without a comment.

If you want a true leader for District 71, vote for Tony Teora in 2016. I promise you I will have comments, ideas and solutions to help East County, District 71.

“You don’t get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.”

L. Ron Hubbard- creator of Scientology

CommunicatorIC

A perhaps relevant essay from the website of JCK Online, an online jeweler. Google shows the essay is available on other websites.

http://www.jckonline.com/2016/02/19/dear-customer

Dear Customer

Anthony DeMarco | September 1, 2006

Gary Hill believes communication is the key to business and personal success. And one of the most effective ways for retail jewelers to retain the loyalty of their customers is through one of the simplest and least costly forms of communication: the letter.

Hill, president and owner of Leo Hamel & Co. in San Diego, says the letter-writing program he employs has helped his jewelry business grow from one store to two, increase the space of the original store from 2,000 to 10,000 square feet, and grow from $3 million to $12 million in annual sales.

“We graph it weekly,” Hill told a group of jewelers during a seminar at the Jewelers Executive Conference in Kansas City, Mo., held April 1 and 2. “You put your letters-out graph next to the gross-sales graph; if you see a spike in the letters, six weeks later you’ll see an increase in gross sales.”

Hill has his salespersons write 25 to 150 letters per week to their customers. The administrative staff writes 25 to 50 letters per week. They are primarily small personal notes, no more than a couple of sentences. Staffers may write whatever they want, as long as it isn’t inappropriate. “There are no restrictions to what salespersons can write in their letters,” Hill says. “They write about anything.”

NOTE: I suspect the statement Hill was the "owner" of Leo Hamel & Co. was incorrect. (As noted below, Hill is no longer with Leo Hamel & Co.)

Hill uses the letter-writing campaign as part of a communications training strategy that he personally teaches to all new employees. The program takes from two days to two weeks to learn depending on how much time employees have to put into it. The communications program, he says, was created by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

“That’s our secret weapon,” he says, “the communication skills learned and improved upon, whether you encounter it through letters or marketing or whatever.”

Hill is a Scientologist, but adapting the letter-writing campaign to fit with Hubbard’s communications philosophy and teachings has nothing to do with Hill’s beliefs. “The principals work, no doubt about it,” he says. “That’s the thing. If they didn’t work we wouldn’t use them. God knows, as jewelry store owners we get things across our plate daily that don’t work. The trick is to find those things that do work and strengthen them.”

Hill's Linked-In profile indicates he is no longer with Leo Hamel & Co., but is now the founder of retailconsultant.biz.

CommunicatorIC

According to the following ESMB post, the "Cornerstone Newsletter [circa August 2007] Super Power Project" lists Leo Hamel as a Cornerstone Club Member who contributed at least $35,000 to the Scientology Super Power project.

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthre...sletter-circa-August-2007-Super-Power-Project

CORNERSTONE CLUB MEMBERS [$35,000.00] [1236]

[SNIP]

Leo Hamel

[SNIP]

FlagEmDown

Patron
I think it's very important to discuss one's religion when they run for public office.
I also do not think that any member of a religion that aims to be a theocracy is a suitable candidate for public office.
scientology aims to become the law of the planet, therefore I could not trust any member of scientology. I would expect any true scientologist, once in office, to work at furthering scientology's goals of clearing the planet. And to heck with helping the general population.