ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at

Featured Mate's Story

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by mate, Feb 7, 2007.

  1. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    Hi, my name is David Graham, and I must admit that I have always been a bit of a "loose cannon", and it seemed to have served me well when I was in Scientology. Here's my story or what I remember of it.

    I remember when my sister and her husband invited me over for dinner in their newly acquired what could only be called a penthouse, in a cliff-top block of apartments overlooking one of Sydney's beaches with its beautiful norfolk pines.

    After dinner they took out this large chart opened if on the carpet and some books. Yes it was a dissemination. I was intrigued by the ability gained at OT V, exteriorization at will with full perception, A the first few pages of the Dianetic Picture Book. I recall that when they told me it was Scientology, I made the comment, "Isn't that the church which was banned a few years ago?" then after a pause and some thinking, I added, "No .... I think that was Theosophy". The buggars said nothing! :eyeroll:

    I left that night with their copy of the Dianetics Picture Book and a copy of DMSMH.

    I returned the books a couple of weeks later with the comment that the concept of engrams and chains made a lot of sense but that the author seemed to be a bit obsessed with abortions. Then I found out that they themselves, were introduced to Scientology by a Qantas pilot and his wife, they had met at a party. And my brother-in-law mentioned that a real estate agent in Sydney and his sales staff were OT and had a phenomenal sales record. I was in real estate at that time, so I was hooked.:eyeroll:

    About six months later, I picked up a couple of thousand dollars in a real estate deal and decided to try of this Dianetics by doing the HSDC, the Hubbard Standard Dianetics Course. When I saw the reg, I was told that if I bought the Levels training as well, I would save the better part of the HSDC. Like most, I couldn't resist a good deal, so I bought the full package.:eyeroll:
  2. jodie

    jodie Patron with Honors

    Thanks. Look forward to hearing about the rest. Interesting the bit about Quantas. Dya think lots of people working at Quantas were influenced to join by John Travolta at one stage?

    - jodie
  3. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    I had purchased my training package with Sydney Foundation. I signed onto (or "got a debit for" in scientologese) my first course and thus became a scientologist! My first course was the Basic Study Manual, which was offered as an alternative to the Student Hat at that time. I was fortunate to have Naomi, an experienced SO member, as my supervisor. I say this as I had done two teacher training programs, one with the Sydney Technical College where I was a teacher, and one with the Univerity of New South Wales, where I was a lecturer (assistant professor), and I was considered an authority, probably undeservedly, on the use of simulation techniques in teaching. I used to design management games for senior management training in corporations such as Hawker de-Havilland, P & O, Qantas Airlines, and so on. So when I completed the Basic Study Manual course, Naomi asked me what I thought of it. I was honest and told her that although I liked the emphasis on using a dictionary, I felt it too simple, that the role of phrases, sentences, paragraphs were even more important, yet were ignored. I also stated that in my opinion, demos and clay demos were a waste of time for students with good visualization. She wisely didn't send me to a word clearer.:)

    I then started (or "routed onto" in scientologese) my Hubbard Standard Dianetics Course. In a useful coincidence, the book "Dianetics Today" was released as I started the course, and within a couple of weeks I took my first PC into session. He was an SO member, if I remember correctly, and had had a lot of dianetic auditing including running past lives (or "whole track" in scientologese) effortlessly. And after a couple of sessions "they routed me through as a completion" over my protest as I didn't feel I was anywhere near flubless. It may well have been a Wednesday night. Yes it was, because I had to take the afternoon off from work to get the auditing finished.

    The recruiters got me before the regges. In fact, it was the Executive Director. He asked me if I would like to run the HSDC in its own space. We talked about it and I said "Yes". He then told me that I would have to join staff and sign a contract, and went on to tell me about free training, free auditing and so on.:eyeroll: By the time he had finished with me it was very late. So I didn't see the reg, and he sent me home to think about the proposition.:think:
  4. Emma

    Emma Con te partirĂ² Administrator

    Hey Mate :)

    I'm wrapped that you are posting your story here.

    One day I'll get around to posting mine bit by bit too. I think it will be very theraputic.

    I especially love to hear stories from Downunder.
  5. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    Hi, Jodie. I really don't know. It is possible, but when JT became the face of Qantas (note no "u"), he was longer being outwardly, a scientologist.

    Hi, Emma. It's nice to have started and I certainly feel good about getting it off.

    Back to my story.

    The thought of signing a contract disturbed me. I just don't like contracts. Then I became too smart for my own good, a failing I had before scientology and one that tended to dog me through my years in scientology and indeed, after it. I told the E.D. that I would sign a two and a half year contract provided he included Organization Executive Course training on it. I had no idea that it would be available anyway.:eyeroll:

    Before I was able to start supervising the dianetics course I had to a series of staff courses called Staff Statuses One, Two and Three and then my supervisor training to become a Hubbard Dianetic Graduate. I insisted on continuing the auditing of my PC which didn't please my superiors, however, after three or four sessions he ceased to be available. Why? I never found out. As I tended to be faster than the normal student, I wrapped the training up, in a couple of weeks, and found myself supervising three HSDC students, if I recall correctly, in a newly set up room. I must say I was quite disturbed with the teaching technique, and I would spend a lot of time with each student to ensure they really got it, and I didn't issue any pink sheets. I consider them a complete waste of time. More about this later. After about a month, I had something like eight students on course and a couple of graduates. Then the unthinkable happened, the E.D. wanted me to take over the academy. I said, "No".:)

    I assumed that that was the end of the matter. I know, I was being naive, but then, I was new to scientology, in fact at that point, I thought the Sea Org was the C Org and I wondered what the A and B Orgs were. Naomi, the academy supervisor, was Sea Org couldn't come in one night, and the Tech Sec had me put my students in with the others in the academy and had me supervise it. I was assured that it was only temporary, that Naomi wasn't well, and I believed this. Yes, you've got it! She never did return. Now I had 15 students.:eyeroll:
  6. programmer_guy

    programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist


    Thanks for posting your story. :)

    Yes... I agree A LOT with those two points.
  7. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    Hi, Programmer Guy.

    Yes, I think a lot of us, both exscientologists and scientologists, would agree that Hubbard's study tech is inadequate.

    A couple of weeks after I was stuck with the academy, the powers that be, decided (or realized) that as a dianetics supervisor, I was not qualified to supervise the academy. So I found I was to supervise evenings and do my mini supervisor course on weekends. Fortunately there was a public method one (word clearing) course student needing a partner and I teamed up with him, and we were both able the complete our method ones on my first weekend. I wrapped up the supervisor course the following weekend. So I became a fulltime supervisor, and then my troubles started.:eyeroll:

    At the beginning, I had absolutely no attention on my "stat" of total student points. As a result of which, they would go up and they would come down. The Tech Sec decided to handle me on this, when on one week the stats crashed. He asked me "why?", and I told him that I had no one on TRs. His response was that was a "Why is God", and I retorted that I could ensure that only one student each week did TRs, if that is what he wanted. Well! I got my first cramming which included the Why is God and my failure to use pink sheets. I saw the cramming officer on Sydney Day, the late Peter Sparshott. Peter one of the first class VIII and a nicer person you couldn't meet, in fact he had a LRH personal recommendation. Peter had me agree to use pink sheets where a student hadn't grasped an earlier section of his checksheet, and to plan out what the students would be doing over the next few weeks to get an idea of where to put my effort to ensure that my stats were up-trending. These seemed to work out fairly well.:)

    Of course, I still had my stat crashes from time to time. One time I was put onto "body routing" (= confronting people in the street, asking them three questions, and having them come into the org) to increase my confront. Initially I had trouble, then I got two in, then I went window shopping. Eventually, the Tech Sec got tired of supervising and had someone fetch me. He was furious with me when I told him what I did, and asigned me a condition. ;) On another occasion, I arrived on a Saturday morning only to be told they wanted to see me at the CLO/FOLO which was about 10 km out of down town Sydney where the Org was.

    The CLO/FOLO was located in a rundown mansion with a beautiful river frontage setting. When I arrived, no one seemed to know why I was there. Eventually, the person who "ordered" me there, appeared. He told me I was there for cramming, because of crashed stats. Well! I hit the roof. I was outraged that I had been ordered to spend a whole day for correction, when it could have been done in the Org within the hour, and that I was going to go back to the Org for any correction I needed. Well, he backed right out and shortly after Naomi (my supervising predecessor) appeared. :mad: While I was waiting, Peter Graham from Perth, who was there also for correction, suggested that I do the cycle, it being the quickest way out. Naomi quietened me down, I did the cramming cycle which was kept brief, and got back to the Org about mid afternoon. It's a funny thing, but they never had me out there again.:unsure:
    Alien3 likes this.
  8. programmer_guy

    programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

    I got M1 from a professional auditor as a part of Super Literate.

    I don't think that M1 is all that it is cracked up to be. What I learned from it was simply that I should be deligent about using a dictionary and not assume that I always knew. But it is still inadequate because of meaning in phrases - especially slang phrases.
  9. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    Hi, Programmer Guy. I do have a vague recollection of one student having a great win on it. But for most, it was simply a barrier to be gotten out of the way.

    After about six months, a student on the training package was recruited and became the academy's word clearer. What a gift this was! When the student points, my "stat", were running down on Wednesday night, the end of the "stat week", I would have him do a round of TRs with another student to boost the student points. This was known by the Tech Sec and the E.D. To say this was questionable, misses the point, as it was downright dishonest. But it did help peace to reign.:eyeroll:

    After about a year, I had regularly had around 30 students in the evenings and 10 to 15 on weekends. As a reward, I got a Director of Training, who was my senior and who helped with the supervision. After about a fortnight, she was recruited into the Sea Org, but remained on post. We became a number and after a couple of months, she left the Sea Org and moved in with me. One Saturday, the academy attendance fell to just a couple and we, DofT and Supervisor, were send out to recover students. Fortunately Wendy had her car. Only one was home and he was genuinely sick. We had a great day out, my first day off in a year! Our relationship lasted about six months and she then completely left scientology.:unsure:

    There was one other experience, I had, which comes to mind. There was a student, John T who has now passed on, who was a very gentle person. John had spent a very long time on his HSDC, and had reached the point of auditing. He had given just one auditing session which was very flubby but PC f/Ned at the examiner. This was a Wednesday night! The ED needed John to attest to get his stats up. I said "No". However, he kept at me until I said "Why don't you bypass the Tech Sec, the DofT and me and put us into danger, and put John through? Because, I'm not going to." She did, to my disbelief. :mad:

    Towards the end of my two and a half years contract, the Academy was booming with a DofT (new), me, two assistant supervisors, and a word clearer. We had over 40 students in the evenings and around 20 on weekends. It was a team effort and a word clearer who loved TRs. Well, I certainly hope he did!:eyeroll:
  10. Bea Kiddo

    Bea Kiddo Crusader

    Hi Mate! Thanks for posting your story. Its interesting for sure! But I was curious, how you were able to count the points for people doing TR's if it was not on their checksheet? How did you get around that one? (I was bad when I was a sup, I think I would make up numbers and report them, can't beleive they couldnt tell!!)
  11. Alan

    Alan Gold Meritorious Patron

    Hi Mate,

    The posting of your story brought back many memories for me.

    I did my first professional session in the Sydney Org., back in Jan 1962.

    I was reveiwing that session and I realized that it was my first auditing harmful act.

    The pc was John Story, strangely it was his success story the got me into Scio.

    I was working out in a Gym in Melb.......when a bunch of weightlifters were ridiculing Scio.....they mentioned past was like a bolt from the blue........all of a sudden lives began to flash before my eyes.

    I realized I was not my body.....etc...etc...

    It appeared the key person who was ridiculing Scio was this John Story's brother-in-law......but he also said that John had done tremendous in business.

    That perked up my interest even higher......

    Back to my first session.....what I should have run was Ascension Experience Tech on him and got back his old state.....:duh:

    Of course it took me until 1993 to find that tech :)

    That period of time was my worse time in my life......I was out the bottom....nothing would go right.

    There was a period of time I lived on bananas for a could buy a huge bunch for 25 cents. :(

    BTW Peter Graham visited me last year.

    I was his first auditor back when he was 14 years old. (1963)

    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  12. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    Hi, Alan. I only met Peter the once and he certainly gave me some very valuable advice. His brother, Michael, did visit Sydney Org a number of times while I was there and I did get to know him and his wife, Cathy (?). I had heard that when the CofS assault was made on the Franchises, Peter simply changed the name of the Franchise and of the the processes etc, and just kept going and of course, saving on licence fees. Ah.... being so remote sure had its advantages.:)

    I don't know an awful lot about the history of Sydney Org, I believe it was originally in a terrace house on New South Head Road in Bondi Junction. The house was demolished to make way for the Bondi Junction Bypass. Then it moved to the Broadway in a building behind a car sales yard. The only story, I recall hearing, was that the Ethics Officer had chains attached to the wall, and those who were out-ethics, were attached to these chains. The building, I believe has been redeveloped. If you have any more information about these early days I would love to hear it.

    It was about 1973 that the Org moved to Railway Square in a building (1 Lee Street) which over-looked the marshalling yards of Sydney's Central Railway station. The building was previously tenanted by the "Order of the Buffaloes". It was here that I came on lines and was Syd Fdn supervisor. When we left this building it too was demolished and became part of a new hotel complex. There seems to be a bad habit here.:eyeroll:

    I understand that before the Anderson Enquiry into Scientology, the Melbourne Org was one of the largest in the world, that it was located opposite the Victorian Parliament House and had a number of State Parliamentarians on lines. And that it was this that triggered the Andersopn Enquiry.

    I've just remembered that one of our public in Sydney was saying that she flew from Brisbane to Melbourne with Hubbard himself, or perhaps in the opposite. But I haven't since seen any reference of Hubbard being in Australia. :unsure:

    Regards, David.
  13. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    But it was on Ian's, my wordclearer's, checksheet and even though it was marked off as done, I used him as a "coach". :eyeroll: There were, of course, times when I had two coaches.:unsure: My seniors, like yours, didn't want to know.

    "whatever" your dishonesty was more honest than mine.:eyeroll:

    Regards, David.
  14. Alan

    Alan Gold Meritorious Patron


    The Melb Org was the biggest Org in the world during the 1960 to 1964 period. It had a staff of around 175 people.

    I can remember being on a co-audit course that had 420 people a night on it.....roughly 650 people enrolled.

    The Sydney Org was located in an old whore house just a few hundred yards from the center of Kings Cross.

    The Sydney Org had a staff of 4 or 5 people then. It was very degraded.

    Revisiting that time and space makes me realize how far I have come since those times.

    I was roller-coastering continuously during that period......very unstable.

    Nothing would go right for me.......the problem was I had attained some very high Ascension States.......they had been missed completely so I continuously crashed and burned.

    The Melb enquiry and subsequent banning was caused by two former students - who I now realize had also attained several high AE states and had crashed and burned.

    A quick definition of Ascension Experience can be found at:

    The interesting fact was during that time I was in business with Frank Sedgeman, Ken Rosewell, Lew Hoad and Pancho Gonzales the worlds top tennis players at that time.....I also had an up and comer John Newcombe that I was helping. (He went on to win 3 Wimbledon Titles)

    Talk about highs and lows.....yuk! :(

    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  15. Alan

    Alan Gold Meritorious Patron

    BTW LRH was in OZ delivering the 1st Melbourne Advanced Clinical Course Lectures (9 Nov?30 Nov 1959.)
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2012
  16. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    Hi, Alan. Thank you for the information on the history of Sydney Org. It would seem that as a result of the Anderson Enquiry and subsquent legislation, a lot of the Church's activity moved to Sydney, forcing the Org to move from Kings Cross to larger premises, the Broadway building. And concerning Hubbard in Australia, yes I do recall reading something about the 1st Melbourne Advanced Clinical Course. Thank you for that.:)

    Back to Mate's story. With about six months remaining on my Syd Fdn contract, I resigned from my job as a Personnel Consultant and did my levels training fulltime in the Syd Day academy. Being fast flow, I wrapped up the courses very quickly and made lots of paid comps for the Org. Also wrapping up her levels, was a girl Lyn Hyman. We twinned up on the levels and co-audited our dianetics, objectives, and our grades, during which we did our class IV internships. Eventually I became the Lead C/S for Syd Day and Lyn, the Lead C/S for Syd Fdn. Over the final few months as a supervisor, I was also auditing for Syd Day in their HGC (Hubbard Guidance Centre where auditing is delivered), and I continued auditing after my contract was finished even though I was reluctant to sign another contract. :eyeroll:

    As an auditor, my stats went into power soon after and it wasn't long before I was able to kept my stats in power, week after week, for 67 weeks in a row. For this effort, my C.O. (Commanding Officer because she was Sea Org and not an E.D.) Phyl Stevens, awarded me a Kha Khan, which gave me ethics protection. :p Once I'd gotten in power, there was no pressure on me to sign a contract.:dance: However, I'm getting ahead of myself.

    Before I continue, I thought I would try to place some names on posts in Syd Day and Fdn in the late 70's. When I joined Sydney Fdn the E.D. was Brian Rackham, he was SO. In the late 70's he was removed and declared, if I remember correctly, and replaced by Cherie Eves, also SO. Ken Nitche was the Tech Sec of Fdn and later became the LRH Com, I think for both Orgs. Keith Holman was the reg for Fdn and later took over the certification emeters for ANZO (What a ripoff that was). The lead C/S for both orgs was Jan Hill (nee Maunder and later Mullane), she was SO, was on the Appollo, and was a brilliant C/S. When she was replaced on both Orgs she became Cont Snr C/S ANZO. In the early 80's, she routed out of the SO and married Noel Mullane. As already noted, Phyl Stevens was CO Syd Day, and her daughter, Chris, was CO CLO ANZO. Chris was replaced by Mike Eves who, in turn, was replaced by Phyl Stevens, who was replaced by Pat Bloomberg (was on Hubbard's during the Saint Hill days), as CO Syd Day. Pat was to become CO AOSH ANZO. Sadly, Pat passed away in the early 80's with a lung condition. David Bloomberg from ASI and then Int, is Pat's son. In the late 70's he was in Syd Tours Org, which was run very effectively by Steve Stevens, Phyl's son. Sandy Wilhere is Phyl's daughter. David moved to FSO to become a reg and then to ASI.
  17. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    Just a few more comments about the staff in Syd Day when I was an auditor there. The Director of Processing was Ethel MacKay (Carstairs), an SO member. After I left Syd, she routed out and she and her husband, Ian, went to Flag for services. I ran across Ethel in the Blue Mountains (west of Sydney) in 1998, she was a website designer, and sadly passed away a couple of years later. The Director of Technical Services was Peter Dunn. The auditors were Martin Bentley Cl VIII, Noel O'Donnell CL VIA (the "A" stood for XDN) who was also a power auditor, an old timer whose name was, I think, Paul Etheringham, Nick Cramey Cl IVA and SO, Paul Schobel Cl IV and SO, Harry Bloomberg Class VI and SO. Harry was Pat's husband. Harry was a veterinary surgeon near Christchurch NZ, and was reknowned as a top vet for race horses. Sadly Harry has since passed away.

    So back to my story! My life was pretty uneventful as an auditor. I did my XDN (Expanded Dianetics) and had just completed my internship when "dianetic clear" came out. As everyone and their dog, had gone "clear", I with the other auditors, were flat out doing clear checks. When the D of P was compiling the list of those attested to send up-lines, she spotted that "David Graham" wasn't on the list. Everyone, other than me were busy going through folders, looking for my clear check, which they thought was misplaced, but no one would tell what they were looking for. Eventually the CO asked me who did my clear check, and I told her I didn't get one because I didn't think I was clear. Well!! She took me aside and after I had answered a series of questions, I realized that I might be and I was rushed through for an attest before I changed my mind. Think of the problem if I hadn't, as I had done checks on some 20 to 30 PCs.:eyeroll:

    Another incident where I was again being too smart for own good, occurred when the CO decided it was time I signed a Syd Day contract. Now I "knew" that Harry Bloomberg, being SO "couldn't" sign a Syd Day Contract, So I said "On the day when Harry signs a contract, I will sign one", and I walked away smiling. On the following Thursday at 1.45pm I was invited to the CO's office for a special presentation, I rushed up there and Harry was there with a pen in his hand and signed something on the desk. He handed me the pen and said, "There I've signed my Syd Day contract". I looked at him in disbelief and then sheepishly signed mine.:unsure:
  18. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    By the way, there is a public on lines called David H. Graham. That is not me. I am David Griffith Graham. I am on the Declared Suppressive Persons' List, and proud of it!:dance:

    This a bit embarrassing, I forgot some auditors. The first was a Canadian John Brownlee Class IVA. Then there was his sister, Joan, who was to marry an Australian Mark Treasure. Joan was the Dianetics and Purif C/S. Then we had Genny Gray Snr Class IV, Tia Merck Snr Class IV. Genny's husband, Billy, was Syd Day academy supervisor. Billy and Genny were from Christchurch in NZ and "routed off" staff and returned to NZ.

    Back to Mate's story. When the Happiness Rundown was released, Genny and I were sent to LA to train as auditor and C/S. We stayed in the Manor. This whole trip was a bit of a romp for us, and could well be a separate thread. :) The room I was in consisted of four single beds in a room that was twenty to twenty five feet long and fifteen feet wide. I hadn't shared a room except with a partner, since my compulsory national service days in the air force in the early 50's. Yeah! I know, but I hadn't yet joined the SO.:eyeroll: On our first morning I had for breatfast, what was called "easy-over" fried eggs. The next morning to show my acceptance of the American culture, the cook asked how would I like my eggs, and I said "gently turned", and her response was "WHAT?". Then someone in the line, said "I think he means easy-over", we all laughed, but not the cook.:eek: Then a couple of mornings later, Genny was expecting a letter from Billy, her husband. So that evening we went to reception and she asked, "Do you have any letters for me". He said, "Lettus, you need to go to the kitchen". She said, "What!" I was able to step in and say, "I think she means mail". :bow:

    Then there was a C/S from London Org do the HRD and staying at the Manor also, and I can't remember his name. We were given what was called a "sack lunch" which consisted of a sandwich in a paper bag. This is called a cut lunch in the English-speaking world, as distinct from the American-speaking world. The cook asked if we wanted "mayo", and found she was looking at three blank faces, so she said, "mayonnaise", and we said, "No". When luchtime came, we opened our paper bags and found two pieces of dry bread and a large lump of tuna between them.:mad: Well, our London C/S was absolutely furious that there was no butter. He said, "How can you eat a sandwich without buttered bread?", and refused to eat it.:rofl: The next morning, there was this enormous dispute between the cook and the London C/S. It looked as if the War of Independence was re-igniting. A truce was reached where she would provide a cube of butter and he could butter his own bread. Genny and I took advantage of this also.:eyeroll:
  19. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    Among all the fun, there were also a few scary moments. We were used to driving on the left (our vehicles are right hand drive, as is the UK and Japan), which meant that I was conditioned to look to the right before crossing a street, also in Australia there is a curb lane used for parking and temporary standing of vehicles, rather than a bus transit lane. We had arrived a couple of days before the start of the HRD training, and decided to investigate downtown Hollywood. Well, I automatically looked to the right and was about to step off the sidewalk to cross Hollywood Boulevarde and someone grabbed as I was about to step under a speeding bus.:duh: Then shortly after that, Genny was crossing a side street against a red light or "dont walk" sign. I was a few metres (yards) behind a saw a cop yelling out to her, but of which, she was oblivious and didn't respond. The cop pulling out his gun. I yelled out to her and she turned and when she saw the gun, she was suddenly absolutely terrified. Fortunately the three of us were laughing together shortly after.:naughty:

    The HRD training was something else. Greg Wilhere was our supervisor and was absolutely brilliant. He was very A to B, accepting no nonsense, expecting instant compliance, all in a friendly way. In scientologese "He would not tolerate any Q & A, no Dev-T, but with a lot of ARC." David Mayo rather surprised me in that he was making changes to the HRD during our daily class discussions with him, on our experiences as auditors. I have no doubt that this was a carry over from his running of the initial NOTs training. To me there can be no doubt that the HRD issues and the NOTs issues (which I was to find out later when I did my NOTs training) were written by Mayo. Also I have no doubt that they were run by Hubbard, in that some of Mayo's in-course changes, were reversed on the following day. But we, the students, weren't told that Hubbard was on the line! :hissyfit:

    We did have a couple of days off during the course, as we were able to go to Disneyland one day and Magic Mountain on another. There were more humorous incidents which come to mind. On our way back from Disneyland, Genny was discussing with a couple of Americans in the back of the bus, the problem she had with noise. She was pointing out how, back at home in NZ one night, she could hear these dogs barking on the other side of the valley keeping her awake. She then said, "I took a torch to go and see what was happening .... ". The Americans were puzzled, and one asked, "Why didn't you use a flashlight?" Genny said, "I did." And the Americans looked even more puzzled. I said nothing to see where it would go, but she spotted the problem. :eyeroll:

    Our (Sydney's) Snr C/S Jan Hill was in LA and had just completed a handling at Int and we arranged to have lunch, her, Genny and me. When she arrived she had a friend with her, Debbie who was NY Day's Lead C/S. I said, "Sure bring her along, I'll pay." It was interesting that all of the American accents, I found the NY accent, the most difficult to understand. When we finished, Debbie asked me, "Are you treating me?" I thought she was asking me, was I putting her on, taking the mickey out of her, so I was reflecting on what I might have said which would lead her to asking that question. Jan then said, Debbie's asking if you are paying. I said to Debbie, "I'm shouting (which is Australian for I'm paying)." Debbie looked at me and said, "You're what!":duh:
  20. mate

    mate Patron Meritorious

    I just realised that I've gotten ahead of myself again, by covering the HRD training before the circumstances which resulted in my becoming a C/S.

    While in power as an auditor, I found that I could survive comfortably on my pay and bonuses. However, Hubbard's "Solution to Inflation" came out, and after a couple of months of it, I realised I had to earn some money rapdily. Fortunately, one of our auditors was a supervisor for a major office cleaning company and he got me a job. From university lecturer to office cleaner.:eek: I was able to work 4 hours a night five nights a week, grossing $AUS120 a week. After about 4 months or so, I was able to buy up to OT3. :)

    At this time the Lead C/S was Martin Bentley who was also extremely good. One day the CO asked me to train up as a C/S to replace Martin who was in the middle of a domestic situation. I said No, as I was saving up for my upper OT levels and the loss of my regular bonus would throw a spanner in the works, of course, I didn't tell her this. But I did agree to do my C/S training. When I'd completed the training I then did my C/S internship under Martin. On the day I finished, the CO wanted me to take over from Martin because Martin had been ordered to route out to handle his scene. But he didn't wanted to it and didn't want to take over.:eyeroll: Then an order came down from whom, I don't know, and Martin left and left me with the C/S hat. I was on tenderhooks throughout the first week or so, even though I had Jan Hill as Snr C/S in the CLO, The nicest surprise I got was that the Lead C/S got the same bonus as a power auditor, whether completions were up or down. I was also able to continue with my cleaning job.:) I was putting money aside for my upper OT levels, but the "Solution to Inflation" was beating me, even though I had several thousand dollars saved.:melodramatic: Martin, BTW, subsequently joined AOSH ANZO.

    Then at a Sea Org event designed to recruit new SO members, Snr C/S Jan Hill and CO CLO Cmdr Phyl Stevens, in a clever manouever ambushed me. I had been avoiding them when they were together but I was chatting with each when they were separated. Then they got me together, I was chatting with Phyl unfortunately by the table where the contracts were. And Jan suddenly appeared. Anyway, I agreed that one day I might join the SO, and they had me sign a contract as a postulate and the gave it to me, much to my relief.:eyeroll:

    It wasn't long after this, that I decided I had enough funds to handle fares and accommodation to do to OT3 at AOLA. To facilitate this I started training Tia Merck as a replacement for me. Before she had completed her training, I think she was on her C/S internship, the CO came and told me that she had a telex from Snr C/S Int requesting that I join his team in Qual Gold. I insisted on seeing it and it was a general request for technical staff for Qual Gold. Once again, I was too smart for my own good and said, "When Snr C/S Int asks me by name, then I would have to go." Yes, you've got it, the next day that telex arrived. :duh: