What's new

Media Alert: Slater & gordon Investigates Class Action over Scientology Wages Claim

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
I have been working with Slater & Gordon along with Nettie and James and this media release has just been fired nationally. All before Thursday 2 and now bring it on :biggrin:

Just to add that there were other players as well including Cherished, Feral, Deano and others who provided valuable information throughout this process.... thanks to all ...

September 15, 2011
Slater & Gordon investigates class action over Scientology wages claims

National law firm Slater & Gordon is investigating a possible class action against the Church of Scientology over claims the organisation has for many years underpaid its workers.

Steven Lewis, practice group leader commercial litigation, said the firm had spent the past year investigating the organisation after receiving complaints from several former Scientology members.

“We have come to the view that former Scientology members were in fact employees and there has been a policy not to pay them proper wages and entitlements,” Mr Lewis said.

“This could mean they are entitled to back pay, superannuation contributions, holiday pay and overtime.

“We are now at the point where we are calling on former members who worked with the organisation since 2005 to contact us on a confidential basis to discuss possible claims against the organisation.”

Mr Lewis said he was currently unable to estimate the size of a claim against the organisation or the possible number of claimants.

“What we have been told by former members is that for years the organisation exploited many of its workers by calling them volunteers despite being required to perform a range of work for little or no pay.

“Scientology is no different to any other employer in this country, it is obliged to pay wages and other entitlements under the law and the relevant award.

“This isn’t about attacking beliefs, it is about being paid a fair wage for a fair day’s work,” Mr Lewis said.

Further details Steven Lewis 02 8267 0626
Media Contact Michael Salmon 0417 495 018

Established 76 years ago, Slater & Gordon has built a powerful reputation as a law firm which fights for the best outcomes for everyday Australians. Today Slater & Gordon offers its broad range of legal services at more locations than any other law firm in the country, delivering affordable legal advice and justice to more Australians.

TG1

Angelic Poster
Re: Media Alert: Slater & gordon Investigates Class Action over Scientology Wages Cla

This is EXCELLENT news! Really excellent!

Yea, again, the unstoppable Aussies! And yea, the lawyers of Slater & Gordon.

You all have quality guts.

TG1

Outethicsofficer

Re: Media Alert: Slater & gordon Investigates Class Action over Scientology Wages Cla

A lot of work has gone into this over these many months this, and this rolled out of the Four Corners program which was aired in March of 2010.

We were contacted by Slater and Gordon, they wanted to know more with a view toward what could be done, the direction was not set in the early stages however it was starting to get a compass bearing and in the end the needle sat firmly on North, that being Slater and Gordon would act on behalf former staff member in a Class Action to Claim Wages. It is their contention that the C of S is no different to any other employer in Australia.

Hats off to Happy Days, she has been a major point of communication for Slater and Gordon. Without her assistance they would've had a much harder job of this.

James

Edit: Contact the phone numbers in the OP for more details and register your interest in this action all calls are strictly in confidence.

Last edited:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator

Dear Oh Dear. This whole thing just moved up a notch. If Slater & Gordon have decided to get involved it's almost a sure thing. They don't invest in cases that can't win.

Holy shit.

Scientology is screwed.

Zhent

Leakus Maximus

Bloody Brilliant! I hope the inevitable FWO report fully compliments this release and propels it to the level of media awareness it deserves!

Sindy

Crusader

fat+lady+singing.jpg

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Go fuck yourself Scientology​

T

TheSneakster

Dear Oh Dear. This whole thing just moved up a notch. If Slater & Gordon have decided to get involved it's almost a sure thing. They don't invest in cases that can't win.

Holy shit.

Scientology is screwed.

:ohmy:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

fat+lady+singing.jpg

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Go fuck yourself Scientology​

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Adipem domina cecinisse! (The fat lady has sung)

Hey, when I read things about the Ausome Aussies kicking OT ass over there, I often wonder what it is about them folks that makes them so much better at playing David & Goliath against Scientology than other countries?

I know Aussies are direct and no bullshit, tell it like it is kinda people, but doesn't there have to be something else?

TG1

Angelic Poster

They have extraordinarily large gonads.

Something to do with vegamite.

Happy Days

I thought it would be appropriate to provide the actual media release with Slater & Gordon's header....

What a day and it's only noon. :biggrin:

Attachments

• Slater  Gordon Media Release 001.jpg
    Slater Gordon Media Release 001.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 69

That's awfully nice of Slater & Gordon to take the time to use a little of Hubbard's 'Standard Tech' to help Hubbard's Cult get it's 'Ethics In'.

I hope David Miscavige remembers to send them a Thank You Card for their thoughtfulness and their kindness.

supafreak

Patron Meritorious

What a thing of beauty! Cyrus' bawl-o-meter just rose an octave or two.

Cross-posting to WWP.

Lohan2008

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Media Alert: Slater & Gordon

, I often wonder what it is about them folks that makes them so much better at playing David & Goliath against Scientology than other countries?

You can thank Nick Xenophon from South Australia, he has worked with Byran Seymour at Today Tonight to keep CofS in the media for the last 3 years. :thumbsup:

In a speech to the Senate on 17 November 2009, Xenophon labelled the Church of Scientology as a criminal organisation, making allegations of members experiencing blackmail, torture and violence, labour camps and forced imprisonment, and coerced abortions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Xenophon

Feral

Rogue male

Liz and James have been tireless on this and has also been key in the FWO data collection as has Scooter who worked his feathers off. It's been a pleasure to work with these fellers, no one was leader fagging or ego bloating, that is no one who was actually involved.

Alanzo has also commented on his blog, gotta love them armadillos.

Petey C

I'm trying to persuade myself not to read too much into this and not to expect too much but jeeze, it's hard. I'm hoping that this class action is just the beginning, and once the case is won it will form legal precedent, smoothing the way for us old-timers to put our hands up for our teensy share.

I add my hoorahs to those who worked hardest here. They're all modest sorts and not likely to be tooting their horns. But Scooter, Happy Days, OEO, and you too, Feral, you should all be congratulated, hugged, patted on the backs and generally admired till your ears fall off.

PTSPal

Patron with Honors

:clap:My Gawd these Aussies are Awesome...why can't we grow a pair here in the US? :no: