ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Media now that the HBO documentary has aired

Discussion in 'Movies, Plays, and Documentaries about Scientology' started by Free to shine, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Boson Wog Stark

Boson Wog Stark Patron Meritorious

Although, in general, I've been thrilled with the media's response to GOING CLEAR, there are some articles where I'm annoyed by the word "allegedly" being applied, often multiple times, to so much of what ex-members say, and never (or rarely) to statements by Scientology.

For example, the media never or rarely puts in a statement, "Scientology alleges that Marty Rathbun is a psychopath..."

But when Spanky tells in the documentary of rescuing her baby from a urine-soaked crib covered in fruit flies, that's got to be "alleged." It hasn't been proved in a court of law that her baby was mistreated by Scientology.

I understand that the media is just protecting themselves from libel but when you have some form of the word "alleged" used four or five times in an article, and never in the statements from Scientology, it just makes me cringe.

2. MrNobody

MrNobody Who needs merits?

You've already given the explanation yourself: "Alleged" is used for self-protection, but when they re-print an official "church" statement and say so, they don't need to use the word "allegedly". The "church" said it, so we print it.

3. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

Subscription required.

The Times: Scientology uncovered

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/magazine/article4418118.ece

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Mark Rathbun was one of the Church of Scientology’s most senior and trusted executives. That was, until he became its most vocal critic and began to allege some very dark practices – many connected to its most famous member, Tom Cruise

At the age of 20, Mark Rathbun signed a billion-year contract. Effectively, he was surrendering his soul to a staggeringly wealthy sect founded by a bigamist who’d dabbled in black magic before claiming to reveal the key to immortality in a magazine called Astounding Science Fiction.?? ??

And then things got really weird.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

4. Udarnik

Udarnik Gold Meritorious Patron

Ah yes. More publicity around the OTO and Laffy will just do wonders for the cult's image.

I want Tony to write a book on that, next.

5. PTSPal

PTSPal Patron with Honors

6. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

7. Karen#1

Karen#1 Gold Meritorious Patron

Mike Rinder just posted on Twitter

[​IMG]

8. Karen#1

Karen#1 Gold Meritorious Patron

Alex Gibney latest tweet. The ongoing and relentless pursuit of revealing the LIES

[​IMG]

This will undoubtedly *FLOOD* the Orgs with people seeking answers and like all *entheta* cause unprecedented expansion !