What's new

Media now that the HBO documentary has aired

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Karin Puow has responded to inquiries about scientology's Twitter campaign...

Karen Pouw, a rep for the Church of Scientology finally responded to previous requests:

We had an all-time high interest in Scientology during the airing of the HBO show,” she told Ad Week. “Over 50,000 people came to our website before we even issued a tweet. As there were so many people curious and interested, we decided to spread the word.”

:spitcoffee:

Salon has the article here: http://www.salon.com/2015/03/30/the...ing_twitter_to_combat_critics_of_going_clear/

JB

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow

Karen Pouw, a rep for the Church of Scientology finally responded to previous requests:

We had an all-time high interest in Scientology during the airing of the HBO show,” she told Ad Week. “Over 50,000 people came to our website before we even issued a tweet. As there were so many people curious and interested, we decided to spread the word.”

Salon has the article here: http://www.salon.com/2015/03/30/the...ing_twitter_to_combat_critics_of_going_clear/

JB

Oh. My. God. :duh:

(where is the are-your-effing-kidding-me-no-one-is-that-stupid emoticon when you need it??)

Little David

Gold Meritorious Patron
Sorry, this isn't about Going Clear but it is media since it has aired:p

450x253

A screenshot from the video of a ballet dancer dancing to Hozier's "Take Me To Church" in various spots around Los Angeles. (Nightpantz / YouTube)

In the latest Internet video to highlight the landmarks of Southern California, a half-naked ballet dancer prances around Hollywood and Santa Monica to the soundtrack of Hozier's "Take Me to Church.”

The video, filmed by the comedy group Nightpantz, includes stops at the Church of Scientology and an Apple store. Security at those locations were not impressed with the dancer’s skills, as the video on LAist shows.
video
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-dancing-los-angeles-video-20150330-story.html

Boomima

Patron with Honors
Before this documentary, I heard zero about Scientology except from scholars and ex's. Now, everyone is chatting about it, making jokes, and sending me links.
I don't know how long this will last but even outside the media stories, people are talking about what's in that documentary. I have sent more links to the exscn.net site, Karen #1's YouTube page, ToryMagoo's YouTube page, and more.

They are fascinated and not in the way the CoS would like.

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter
I dunno..that article pissed me off.. Saying Tony mocks Scientology? She needs to read his blog sometime! I don't see him mocking them?? She correct about the rest of it but judgy comments like that make me feel irked!
I understand. The truth, however, is that sometimes Tony does mock Scientology -- though he of course also does much more than that. When I recommended the article I was thinking of insights such as:

Washington Post: Why it’s so hard to beat Scientology

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/03/30/why-its-so-hard-to-beat-scientology/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

As long as the outside world fails to resolve those ruins, to feed that need to do good or to address the fears of those who are terrified of parts of the medical establishment, Scientology will continue to have some appeal. Journalists and filmmakers such as Wright, Gibney and Ortega will be able to keep pushing Scientology to the margins by mocking it. But to free the people held in its “prison of belief,” we’ll have to take that belief seriously enough to help them find better options.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

I still highly recommend the article. I think it is insightful, and gets at something important.

JustSheila

Crusader
The media is just beginning to address the fact that people are terrified of Scientology, though.

That has taken a long time, because the media itself has been terrified to print one negative word about the crimes of this cult.

One story that really brought home the outrageous harassment, behaviour and terror the cult creates is Dr. Stephen Kent's experiences.

Here is this incredibly warm, compassionate man, doing everything he can to help others heal who were crippled by traumas in their lives, one of which happened to be Scientology, and by speaking and writing honestly about what he has observed and seen and publishing his works that help others recover, the Church of Scienology went after him like a deranged bulldog, tearing into his life, his career, his family, his friends, his co-workers, spreading slanderous statements and gossip.

A church did this. A church. Supported by tax dollars as a non-profit charity.

To hear Doctor Kent's descriptions just turned my stomach. I imagine him, one of so many friendly, open Canadians, helping his community, his students. Loved and known for years and years.

Then a church comes into his life, uninvited, and does all it can to wreck it.

In early June 1998, 3,000 home-delivered copies of the Edmonton Examiner contained a sixteen-page insert. The insert was printed on fairly high quality newsprint, and was entitled Freedom. This same insert also appeared in Canada’s national newspaper, the Globe and Mail, on June 12, 1998, in some delivered copies of the newspaper. Previously, the Globe and Mail had circulated the insert in newspapers distributed in Toronto.
<snip>

The insert compared me to the neo-Nazi hate-monger Ernst Zundel, as did the first leaflet that Scientologists distributed against me on campus. The insert also says that my “support of discrimination and intolerance which has led to human rights violations and even violence—in Germany as well as in Canada—should disqualify Kent totally from government funding and support.”

Dr. Stephen Kent goes on to write:

Among the reasons that I continue to research, write, and speak about Scientology is because I fear it, and I also fear its implications for civil society and for the lives of many of its members.
http://thewalrus.ca/scientology-attacks/

Who has not been bullied and terrified by this cult? Terror normally breeds silence.

But some stand up to bullies. Stephen Kent did, Alex Gibney did, many, many others did. Hopefully, many more will do so now. I am grateful. Everyone has the right to feel safe.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

JB

I would love to take credit for predicting (two weeks ago) that Scientology would issue a press release about HUGE NUMBERS OF NEW PEOPLE EXPRESSING INTERESTING IN SCIENTOLOGY directly after the film premiered on HBO.

But, I can't take credit for my supernaturally psychic post, because Scientologists are such easily predictable clowns.

Seriously.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

We had an all-time high interest in Scientology during the airing of the HBO show,” she told Ad Week. “Over 50,000 people came to our website before we even issued a tweet. As there were so many people curious and interested, we decided to spread the word.

Oh. My. God. :duh:

(where is the are-your-effing-kidding-me-no-one-is-that-stupid emoticon when you need it??)

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Scieno-Scenario: If the thetan known as "Karen Pouw" had instead picked up a body in Afghanistan and become the spokesperson for another international terror religion, Al Quaeda.

We had an all-time high interest in Al Quada when Osama Bin Laden was assassinated by the Navy Seals,” she told Ad Week. “Over 50,000 people came to our website before we even issued a tweet. As there were so many people curious and interested, we decided to spread the word."

JustSheila

Crusader

Love the Betty Bowers comment! Just a couple of weeks ago, she tweeted, "Why do people ridicule Scientology?"

Guess she knows now! :hysterical: :hysterical: :dieslaughing:

OMG, this is really turning into a circus!

CommunicatorIC

@IndieScieNews on Twitter

:wow:

Wow. I'm speechless.

She spoke out. Lisa Presley finally spoke out.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Good on ya, Lisa. I hope we see you here soon!

How about Priscilla, now?
Sadly, I don't think this qualifies as speaking out. She doesn't mention Scientology or Going Clear. With the exception of one reply, none of the people who replied to her had any idea the tweet concerned Scientology or Going Clear. The tweet that had such an idea was in the form of a question as follows:

https://twitter.com/IndieScieNews/status/582748296386576384

attachment.php

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 257

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Sadly, I don't think this qualifies as speaking out. She doesn't mention Scientology or Going Clear. With the exception of one reply, none of the people who replied to her had any idea the tweet concerned Scientology or Going Clear. The tweet that had such an idea was in the form of a question as follows:

https://twitter.com/IndieScieNews/status/582748296386576384

attachment.php

Leah Remini retweeted LMP's tweet within 5 minutes, folks. :)

See LR's Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/LeahRemini/with_replies

JB

Last edited: