ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Monique reportedly fires her legal team.

Discussion in 'Monique Rathbun' started by George Layton, Feb 1, 2016.

View Users: View Users
  1. elwood

elwood Patron with Honors

It's also possible that Ray and his team took a hard look at the case and:

1) decided that despite some short-term victories in the long term the suit wasn't winnable,

2) advised Monique to accept a settlement and let it go, and

3) got fired.

That strikes me as consistent with an earlier comment that Marty cannot afford to let it go. He (with Monique as his proxy) has too much emotion and professional credibility wrapped up in the case.

2. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

3. tetloj

tetloj Silver Meritorious Patron

Tony O is repeating through the comments that to his knowledge no settlement talks had begun.

ETA I'm reading between the lines that his legal team have not been involved in, or are aware, of any settlement talks

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  4. Veda

Veda Sponsor

Perhaps someone else can provide a more complete presentation of Marty's views in the last few months, but what I've seen is Marty being defensive of the "Church of Scientology" and attacking or threatening its adversaries.

That's a major sea change that some may wish to take into consideration while engaging in this orgy of speculation. :party: (actual smiley orgy)

5. Boson Wog Stark

Boson Wog Stark Patron Meritorious

I assume Marty was/is posturing with the angle of benefiting, or at least not foiling his wife's case. For example, he's not writing any new Scientology books, but instead wrote a novel. He doesn't need to make posts the cult can use against him or his wife, or even host comments that Scientology would want to characterize as in line with his thinking.

I'm kind of puzzled as to why he doesn't just "no comment" until the case is over. Unless, he knows they may all be gagged in a settlement and he won't be able to say anything about Scientology for the rest of his life.

6. Churchill

Churchill Gold Meritorious Patron

I agree with your observation.

What is so very disappointing is that ​defeat has been snatched out of the jaws of victory.

Real justice, in the form of precedent setting court decisions were within reach.

The financial aspect was never in doubt, IMO.

7. prosecco

prosecco Patron Meritorious

Irony Alert! Deleting posts on your blog when you are engaged in a legal case about the boundaries of the First Amendment!

8. Little David

Little David Gold Meritorious Patron

Tony Ortega wrote today:

"The calmly aggressive tone of Ray Jeffrey’s letter reminds us of his style in court. We’ve made a couple of trips to Texas to see Jeffrey in action. What impressed us was that he has a homey, warm persona which is entirely genuine, but in court that friendliness works to his advantage. We saw him time and again make Scientology’s attorneys look foolish, and always while appearing to do so in a friendly way. It’s quite entertaining.

In contrast to Jeffrey’s almost laconic style, Elliott Cappuccio was like a laser in court. Scientology’s attorneys do their best to confuse the court by turning the law on its head. But we witnessed Cappuccio slice through that with a precision that left us astonished. And as for appeals, we considered Leslie Hyman’s briefs some of the most impressive we’ve ever read.

This is the team that was fired last week from one of the most significant cases of Scientology litigation to be filed in years, a case they were winning. Imagine not wanting this team on your side. We’re having a hard time understanding it.

For a glimpse of what it was like to see this team in action, we recommend going back over three posts from September 2013, with our live blogging from the Comal County courthouse. They were some of the best days ever at the Underground Bunker…"

LIVE FROM TEXAS: The Monique Rathbun vs. Scientology Temporary Injunction Hearing

MONIQUE RATHBUN’S TESTIMONY: Day One Finishes in Her Temporary Injunction Hearing
    MONIQUE RATHBUN VS SCIENTOLOGY, DAY 2: Texas Showdown Shifts Gears

http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/03/ra...get-him-in-hot-water-with-the-california-bar/

9. Gizmo

Gizmo Rabble Rouser

Wasn't it Monique's legal team for her to fire ?

I'd agree that the evil little cult called the CoS is lorded over by a demented dwarf who so needs his come uppance, BUT, Monique - who was NEVER IN his little cult - just has NO OBLIGATION to go to the mat on BEHALF of scientologists ( or anybody else).

Yes, sane people easily see the CoS needs to be not broken but shattered. But, I think it less than sane to side on the sidelines & decide who ought to fight the cult to the bitter end. WHO HAS ?

So, quietly, those cash laden low life bastards offer Monique $1, $1,000,000, $ 10,000,000 or ( God, I hope ! ) $50,000,000 & surely she might want to compensate her now fired legal team, but, isn't it entirely HER decision HOW LONG to FIGHT[/FONT or HOW MUCH [/FONTshe'd settle for.

Folks, who among us is entitled to decide for her what to do with HER suit against the CoS ? Maybe some of the pundits here went down to Texas & stood up to the idiots in golf carts & that
    paddle boat. Or went over to the rented house & asked why they were there. Or went shopping with Monique & helped keep then CoS dogs at bay.

Or maybe even babysat for her while she was in court ?

Most of have skin in the game with the CoS. In some instances chunks of flesh & lots of blood !

I just believe Monique gets to call her own shots. That does NOT change my opinion that the CoS needs completely dismantled world wide & banished as a criminal activity, but, it ain't Monique's lot in life to HAVE to take it down for those who want it killed.

Many are being so very effective in discrediting the CoS among the public they so want to con & fleece ! CoS is loosing supporters like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Ideal Orgs are morgues. L Ron Hubbard Way ( one whole block ) is a ghost town. Event sites are getting smaller.

10. freethinker

freethinker Sponsor

There is one other possibility but it's so crazy that someone of Marty's integrity would probably never contemplate it or even dream it up. Especially since he was IG Ethics and all in charge of the most ethical people on the planet.

I don't know if he could even get away with it but...

This is Mosey's case and Jaffrey and his team are Mosey's lawyers. Marty is not part of the lawsuit and probably never signed anything keeping himself at ARMS LENGTH, just like Davey does.

There is nothing preventing Dave from approaching Marty and offering him a deal to make this whole thing go away.

After all, Marty has experience in making huge problems go away like the IRS back in the early 90's.

Marty has knowledge and experience with all that went down on that. He also has knowledge of what happened with Lisa McPherson. He even destroyed evidence in that case. The statute of limitations went by on destroying that evidence but there is something that doesn't have a statute of limitations....

There really isn't any reason why Marty couldn't make a deal to make the whole thing go away for a certain sum of money deposited in a bank account that has no connection to Mosey whatsoever.

But that would be just crazy and unethical and Marty would never do anything like that now that he lives a normal and productive life and has a kid and is a upstanding member of the community.

Naaah, it's just too crazy!

11. Chess

Chess Patron with Honors

In reading this thread I can't help but notice the very considerate and thoughtful people here. There is a lot of genuine care and well wishes for Monique and her baby. Humanity frequents this blog often.
    I personally will have a loss if the Cof$ benefits at all from the Rathbun's decision. It would great if someone could really kick their butt but good legally, but they have to live a life and who's to say how they should do it. The stress and danger of taking on the Cof$ must be horrific.
    However, what really irks me is the mechanism of compassion I feel and can easily see expressed on this blog was squashed like a bug by the likes of Marty when he strutted around in an SO uniform. For years he was miscavige's attack dog and the misery his duty called for was a daily routine & left a lot of lives messed up. And now we see his travails... geezers. I'm sure glad I'm not like him or have done the shit he's done, no matter how much money is potentially on offer.

12. Veda

Veda Sponsor

That's a possibility.

[​IMG]
    Group auditing at the secret base.

13. Balthasar

Balthasar Patron Meritorious

I wonder if that is legal? I can imagine lawyers not being too thrilled being cheated out of their fees. There is another post from a a poster "Outspider" over at Tony Ortegas Bunker which explores this possibilities of a secret deal HERE. You have to wait until the page finishes loading at the right post

14. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

15. DoneDeal

DoneDeal Patron Meritorious

lol.

general scn.

let me be the first to guess what this is all about!

meanwhile, back to yardwork I am.

16. RogerB

RogerB Crusader

An interesting range of opinions expressed above, including that of disappointment that the Scientology operation and its midget manipulator are not nailed to the cross to rot in a dry wind . . .

BUT . . . let's be reminded of the monster amounts of damage done to the cult by this case having gone as far as it has. It has provided a bonanza of good sense.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this "dismissal of the attorney" gambit is a very clever PR move that affords Monique what she wants/needs while at the same time saving Ray J the carry-on of the drama of doing the whole "9 yards" of taking the case to completion in Court.

Ray and Monique will have a contract that covers his financial interests . . . and what is sure, "Monique" has not withdrawn without recompense for all damages, costs etc., that will provide for Ray's "fees" and expenses to date . . . this, if she has withdrawn from her suit. And to be noted, I have not seen as yet that she has . . . only that she has "dismissed" Ray's firm as her legal team.

R

17. Free to shine

Free to shine Shiny & Free

This is interesting (with documentation):

http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/03/ra...get-him-in-hot-water-with-the-california-bar/

From Ray Jeffrey's letter ( a must read!):

18. afaceinthecrowd

afaceinthecrowd Gold Meritorious Patron

UMan! Good to see youz twoz! :yes:

Some Sh**t, huh? Yep, with all things Scn (and Marty), we'll never know the whole convoluted truth but--having had time to cogitate and numerate on this--IMHO, this is heading to where I figured it would...A Sizable Cash Settlement.:ohmy:

As far as Ray Jeffrey, ESQ goes...IMHO, he's one sly ole country fox and knows well his forest what he's doin' and this ain't gonna be the last go-around that--for a well deserved fee--he takes a slice off of DM's Pecker.:no:

Keep on keepin', Bro. :thumbsup:

Face:)

PS: IMHO, Jeffrey is a most deadly hired gun fighter, knows his turf and how to live to fight another day.:coolwink:

PPS: Betcha dollars against doughnuts the Jeffrey's next Gambit and round are already queued up and chambered.:whistling:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  19. ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk Lisbeth Salander

. . .
    I have a friend who lives down around Ingleside by the Bay and I asked
    her to take some photos for me so I could see what the area is like. I might
    want to move down thataway one day. Reasonable-priced real estate and all.

All I can say is they have a bunch of malls and a lot of people in southern
    Texas drive pickup trucks from what I can tell from the photos. :wink2:

182-800.jpg

20. degraded being

degraded being Sponsor

Bob Duggan'$ autograph needed urgently.