What's new

More thoughts on the subject of this months theme Re-connection and why:Disconnection

riptide

Patron with Honors
As an Ex-Scientologist of more than 30 years, I have to remind myself of the fact that just because a lot of what Hubbard developed was/is workable mental technology, (just my opinion) it does not mean that EVERYTHING he wrote was equally workable or correct. And there is factually, policy he cancelled after seeing that it created more problems than it was intended to solve.

Take disconnection as a subject. Hubbard's stated purpose of this practice was of a TECHNICAL nature. It addressed reasons why a person might be losing their advances or gains while receiving auditing. Okay, fair enough. Lets acknowledge that plenty of family's have members in them that are just plain ignorant or superstitious. And if one of the members of the family was doing something bold and unorthodox or NEW, in the interest of trying to better themselves-and was running into resistance from those in his immediate vicinity, it makes sense that one would naturally reject this form of oppression, and distance themselves from the source of negativity.

Okay, this is not rocket science. Families have split apart for centuries based on anti-social, cruel and insane impulses one family member or member of the community might have towards another.

I think Hubbard made a valuable contribution in that he developed and codified certain important observations about people and human behavior. And as a result of much strife and difficulty that some people may have experienced, he created policies that addressed those problems at that time.

However, the advances in his technical developments made it unnecessary to maintain the policy of disconnection, and in 1968 he cancelled it.

Hubbard is entitled to change his mind. And according to him, his improved auditing techniques apparently made it possible to "handle all types of cases".

However, in 1983 a policy was issued that RE-INSTATED the practice of disconnection. The reason given in this new policy for changing the churches stance on disconnection was entirely different than the original statement by Hubbard in the 1968 policy canceling disconnection. This new policy stated that disconnection had been cancelled because people were mis-applying the policy and that THIS phenomena was creating MORE problems.

Now, here's the kicker. It is asserted to be true that this newer policy written in 1983 was NOT written by Hubbard, but instead was ordered to be written by Robert Vaughn Young with the assistance of the senior C/S at the time, Ray Mithof at the behest of David Micaviage. Robert Vaughn Young was at the time a veteran staff member who had been in the thick of church history going back to the Operation Snow White operation. Because Robert Vaughn Young was a writer, and was handpicked by Hubbard to ghost write for him, he was selected to re-write the policy in 1983 that cancelled disconnection.

Google Robert Vaughn Young and do your own research if you are so inclined.

So as impossible as it may seem, today we may very well have the Church of Scientology using this illegal and unauthorized "forged" document/policy as a political and social control mechanism instead of as an address or solution to any difficulty a person might be having on his/her spiritual quest.

The threat of losing ones connections with friends and family members has proven to be a VERY effective tool by church management in marginalizing any perceived threats to its interests.

These interests certainly include the Church’s own cash cow that is made up of it’s unquestioning and obedient body of parishioners.

If and when you, as a church member try to use reason as a weapon while trying to resolve a dispute with an “ethics” officer/person, don’t be surprised if at some point you find yourself in the uneasy position of having to consider what the cost is of asserting and maintaining your personal integrity.

Many stories have surfaced over the years where Scientologist in good faith were trying to address injustices or intentional mis-application of Church policy only to be threatened by those whose “special interests” or mandates by a corrupt management system were potentially being threatened. These threats ultimately take the form of loss of family and friends by the act of expulsion and “suppressive person” declare.

This control mechanism uses force, threat of loss, and fear, as it’s primary components.

This is similar in my mind compared to older traditional religions that use the threat of hell and damnation to keep the congregation in line and the offering plate full. It's been used as a tool for manipulation for centuries.

Hubbard himself wrote, "man cannot be trusted with justice".

If you are a lurker, on the fence in regards to your religion, or new to Scientology as a subject and doing some research, keep this in mind.

Regardless of what you think about Robert Vaughn Young's testimony or his credibility or lack thereof, take care to witness FOR YOURSELF how the Church is using this policy. It's the intended APPLICATION and the intent behind it that should see the light of day.

Take care to look a little deeper. Talk to or read the accounts of those whose families have been ripped apart. Watch their video interviews on the Internet. Evaluate for YOURSELF.

Is the practice of enforced disconnections making a more peaceful environment for Scientology to thrive in? Or is this just MORE of what Hubbard and his wife Mary Sue were dealing with all throughout the sixties. Scientology was effectively ejected from New Zealand at the time for this very reason. It was shortly after that when Hubbard cancelled disconnection.

The man was brilliant, but not infallible. He made plenty of mistakes and corrected some of them. There are more that he missed. When something is unworkable or goes against the morays of the very society if seeks to co-exist with and enjoy the support of, it will eventually fail.

And unfortunately for Scientology, they continue to ignore this issue at their own peril.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
However, in 1983 a policy was issued that RE-INSTATED the practice of disconnection.

Per http://members.chello.nl/mgormez/childabuse/disconnect.html

It seems likely that the cancellation of disconnection was shortly lived, because it appears that in 1973 it was reinstated again with HCO Bulletin of 10 August 1973 and reaffirmed by Mary Sue Hubbard with confidental HCO Policy Letter of 15 September 1973, "HANDLING DISCONNECTIONS". It reads in part:

"Handle or disconnect" is part of current procedure on handling Potential Trouble Sources, as per HCO B 10 August '73, "PTS Handling". This does *not* mean that we are returning to the practice of publishing or writing disconnection letters to the person concerned.

Paul

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
However, in 1983 a policy was issued that RE-INSTATED the practice of disconnection. The reason given in this new policy for changing the churches stance on disconnection was entirely different than the original statement by Hubbard in the 1968 policy canceling disconnection. This new policy stated that disconnection had been cancelled because people were mis-applying the policy and that THIS phenomena was creating MORE problems.

Now, here's the kicker. It is asserted to be true that this newer policy written in 1983 was NOT written by Hubbard, but instead was ordered to be written by Robert Vaughn Young with the assistance of the senior C/S at the time, Ray Mithof at the behest of David Micaviage. Robert Vaughn Young was at the time a veteran staff member who had been in the thick of church history going back to the Operation Snow White operation. Because Robert Vaughn Young was a writer, and was handpicked by Hubbard to ghost write for him, he was selected to re-write the policy in 1983 that cancelled disconnection.

Google Robert Vaughn Young and do your own research if you are so inclined.

So as impossible as it may seem, today we may very well have the Church of Scientology using this illegal and unauthorized "forged" document/policy as a political and social control mechanism instead of as an address or solution to any difficulty a person might be having on his/her spiritual quest.

So you are saying that the wrong application of disconnection is due to Robert Vaughn Young and not Hubbard?

I respectfully suggest you have a lot more reading to do.

Sharone Stainforth

Silver Meritorious Patron
More thoughts on the subject of this months theme Disconnection

The Theme of this Month is ReConnection, not Disconnection. It's about fostering ReConnection.

Lets face it,if it wasn't for Disconnection we wouldn't need to be fostering Re Connection?
Would we?

riptide

Patron with Honors
The Theme of this Month is ReConnection, not Disconnection. It's about fostering ReConnection.

I agree and thank you. I have edited the title of my rant accordingly, but I think my point that disconnection is the problem we are trying to ultimately solve which is common to the theme. I am a reconnection success story because of my revelations as noted in my posting.

Last edited: