What's new

Narconon Melbourne hits new Highest Ever!

Carmel

Crusader
Thanks Scooter, you have given some of the scoop that gives a better picture.

Whether the NN pgm is a good one, a bad one, or somewhere in between, it's irrelevant to this scenario in Melbourne, IMO.

It's apparent to me that NN Melbourne have been doing more harm than good of late, in regard to the potential future of such a pgm, and in regard to its staff and public. I would prefer to see what "NN Melbourne" is today, gone.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Nice post Nat and one I whole-heartedly endorse.

The potential of the Narconon program is enormous - no-one I know of who's either done it or helped administer it doesn't feel it's totally without merit.

But there's no research done to actually isolate the effectiveness or lack thereof - most of the staff and ex-staff I've spoken to all have the same opinion - the program should be amended to keep the good bits and drop the crap.

There's no "one size fits all" when it comes to drug/alcohol rehab - each individual NEEDS something tailored to their specific needs/case history.

This isn't allowed in Narconon - I've had some good successes in tailoring stuff for the individual but that's viewed as "squirrelling" - despite there being no 100 % workable results from the existing program.

When I was at Narconon Int a few years back for the Cont EDs conference I got chatting to someone who'd done the program in the 70s - then it consisted TOTALLY of 12 months of TRs.

After that, metered actions were entered in - even Drug Rundowns.

These were dropped as using e-meters meant you were entering religion into the program.

So we have the current line-up - which isn't a bad runway but it doesn't actually fit every case.

It's a "mini-Bridge" for each person to tackle and stumble across.

And it's been found wanting.

There's a lot of potential there but it'll never be fully realized while there's the fingers of DMs cult slipping the $s out of it, as well as treating it as a recruit pool for converts.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks Scooter, you have given some of the scoop that gives a better picture.

Whether the NN pgm is a good one, a bad one, or somewhere in between, it's irrelevant to this scenario in Melbourne, IMO.

It's apparent to me that NN Melbourne have been doing more harm than good of late, in regard to the potential future of such a pgm, and in regard to its staff and public. I would prefer to see what "NN Melbourne" is today, gone.

Thanks Carmel - I'm actually withholding a lot of the crap I've heard over the past few weeks - it's much worse than you think.

OSA's got a whole PR nightmare to handle and I doubt they're up to the task - it almost breaks my heart - NOT :D

klidov

Silver Meritorious Patron
Please put me on record as saying I have a lot of respect for Scooter.

That is all I wish to add.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
Thanks for the data Scooter.

It sounds like (yet another) Scn rats nest to me ... its a WIN that the staff have left ... I hope we can welcome them here soon.

:eyeroll:

Kookaburra

Gold Meritorious Patron
It is unfortunate that NN got into the same money grubbing action that orgs got into. At one time it survived wholly on donations for food and rent. I don't think the addicts were charged anything. Mind you the staff weren't paid either. It was all about getting people off drugs.

What's this about no DRD? How can you do a drug rehab pgm with out a DRD? Somebody got it wrong, didn't they.

I have a win!

You got that right, Crummy!

Do you have any wins that you'd like to share?

To Alanzo and Crummy,

I do have a win and that is that my husband is no longer part of NN and he is intent on ensuring that nobody else is part of a group that is interested in witch hunts and 3rd Dynamic activties that offer no compassion for anything else in one's life. What a damn good objective that is!

There are wins to be had from actions from the tech of scn but they are all different for everybody! I'm glad that you had wins on the purif but it is not like that for everybody.

When I left the church I told a young friend from work. I told him that it helped me handle my drug history and for that i was grateful. His comments were that could it be possible that it was just that I was ready to handle the drug influence in my life and that could have happened anywhere. I believe he was right. Being mugged by a gang of aboriginals in redfern in sydney and then nearly raped by 2 of them was enough for me to say no more to drugs. I wanted to change my life - and I did!

This observation was made to me again last night at the wedding paul talks of by one of the staff members who had resigned. People get off drugs because of different catalysts in their lives - having children is a big one that I've heard time and time again.

Scn does have some good points and Paul would agree with that. But what NN itself is doing is cruel. I suffered the longtime name calling of SP by narconon staff, execs AND public. Why was I an SP? Cause I wanted a husband! I wanted a complete family! I wanted the finances to live life! All overts and single mindedness as viewed by the above mentioned. How silly. How does one bring up sane and well adjusted children while a major influece in their lives is either not there as he is at work AGAIN or is doing another job to make ends meet or is ill again from all the stress from the bullshit witchhunts he was put under!

People need to have good ole fashioned technology that will help them lead their lives how they would like not a program that is one size fits all. Drug-free lives is important. NN is not!

anonymous1312

Patron with Honors
My opinion of Narconon is that it has no more merit than any other drug rehab program and there is way too much baggage that comes with it; with the baggage negating what benefit it has.

Fact is people on any rehab program will only succeed if they believe it will work, want it to work and have the will to make it work for them. A rehab program need only provide a supportive, comfortable and secure environment with positive reinforcement of the benefits of not doing drugs.

Most drugs are not physically addictive but for those that are there is nothing much one can do but support those going cold turkey by doing anything to relieve their symptoms and preventing them from easily returning to drugs. Then, and for the rest is it all psychological, reinforcing their desire to kick the habit and bolstering their will to do so.

The fact the local drug dealers are benefiting from this Narconon confirms to me that in this instance it is not providing a supporting or secure environment and from the description it cannot be that comfortable either.

Yes I agree that most people in scientology getting with this program are sincere, they are however misguided in believing it is the best and only answer to the drugs problem.

All this and the wads of cash this program extracts from people for scientology means it is detrimental to society.IMHO. :D

Last edited:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
My opinion of Narconon is that it has no more merit than any other drug rehab program and there is way too much baggage that comes with it; with the baggage negating what benefit it has.

Fact is people on any rehab program will only succeed if they believe it will work, want it to work and have the will to make it work for them. A rehab program need only provide a supportive, comfortable and secure environment with positive reinforcement of the benefits of not doing drugs.

Most drugs are not physically addictive but for those that are there is nothing much one can do but support those going cold turkey by doing anything to relieve their symptoms and preventing them from easily returning to drugs. Then, and for the rest is it all psychological, reinforcing their desire to kick the habit and bolstering their will to do so.

The fact the local drug dealers are benefiting from this Narconon confirms to me that in this instance it is not providing a supporting or secure environment and from the description it cannot be that comfortable either.

Yes I agree that most people in scientology getting with this program are sincere, they are however misguided in believing it is the best and only answer to the drugs program.

All this and the wads of cash this program extracts from people for scientology means it is detrimental to society.IMHO. :D

Oh Look!

A well reasoned argument!

CornPie

Patron Meritorious
I realize I ask the same question numerous times -- one answer would be great.

After reading this entire thread, I don't understand how Narconon works -- in a nutshell. Is it possible for a Narconon like program to exist "without" scientology, hubbard policies, or freezone?

Was Narconon connected to scientology or hubbard, before it was 'hijacked' by scientology? Was it owned by scientologists, at the time of the 'takeover'?

Terril park said in post #9>
...One can hardly criticize an operation that gets people off drugs...

My (CornPie) reply>
I'd would not trust ANYTHING having to do with hubbard, scientology or freezone. The cure would be worse than the disease.

Terril park said in post #9>
...Narconon was doing very well until the COS hi jacked it and turned it into an operation to make money...

My (CornPie) question>
Could someone please tell me -- "before" the cOs "hijacked" NN did it have "anything whatsoever" to do with hubbard or scientology? Was it owned by scientologists?

Iknowtoomuch said in post #10>
...Actually it [Narconon] was doing great till people found out it was a Scientology backed program...

My (CornPie) reply>
:roflmao: :laugh: :hysterical:

feral said in post #13>
...I suggest if you feel that way then you guys might ought to start a FZ NN pgm...

My (CornPie) question>
Is there any way for NN to exist "without" hubbard, scientology or freezone? I realize this shows a lack of understanding on how Narconon works.

scooter said in post #15>
...How would you feel if you were constantly told that your organization isn't really connected to Scientology when the senior people in it are ONLY Scientologists...

My (CornPie) reply>
Welcome to anything connected to hubbard, scientology, dianetics. There is ALWAYS deception involved.

Panda Termint said in post #25>
...The main thing wrong with Narconon is scientology, apart from that it looks good...

My (CornPie) reply>
Can Narconon exist without scientology or hubbard-esque policies? If not, why hasn't somebody else just done it?

anonymous1312 said in post #32>
...My opinion of Narconon is that it has no more merit than any other drug rehab program and there is way too much baggage that comes with it; with the baggage negating what benefit it has...

My (CornPie) reply>
Once again, I agree about the all the nasty "baggage" that comes with anything connected to scientology, hubbard, or dianetics.

Last edited:

Jimmymac

Patron
I am sorry but if you had wins off NN (and no doubt you did) it was because you wanted to get off drugs not because of anything Hubbard devised. Thank your self not that prick. Show me some peer reviewed research that NN is successful and then I will buy it. Until then imo it is just bullshit Scientology.

byte301

Crusader
I agree. A study done of Second Chance (NarCONon for inmates) showed that doing NOTHING was as effective as doing Second Chance.

This study was done by a respected doctor from the University of New Mexico. He was also wined and dined by Rick Pendary, the ED of Second Chance. Guess Rick wasted a lot of money on the good doctor. :yes:

If NarCONon is so effective why do they hide who they are while trying to get clients? Why did anonymous have to do an e-mail campaign to the State of NM to make NarCONon take a fake NM state seal off their website? They also had other state seals on websites for a lot of other states which they removed after the NM fiasco.

Deceptive practices doesn't even come close to describing what they do here in the US. An effective, legitimate drug re-hab wouldn't have to use all the subterfuge and cloaking that NarCONon uses.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
I realize I ask the same question numerous times -- one answer would be great.

After reading this entire thread, I don't understnad how Narcanon works -- in a nutshell. Is it possible for a Narcanon like program to exist "without" scientology, hubbard policies, or freezone?

Was Narcanon connected to scientology or hubbard, before it was 'hijacked' by scientology? Was it owned by scientologists, at the time of the 'takeover'?

There is no such thing as Narcanon. But you knew that.

NarCONon is the supposedly secular program created out of Scientology programs and using differently labeled scientology texts minus the name scientology, is NOT a valid drug program in many US states.

There is not one mention on the whole of the program about how to get and stay off drugs. There is NO drug education. The sauna program has never been evaluated by real scientific standards and many medical officials and scientists consider it a DANGEROUS program.

You saw & commented the post about the latest lawsuit but you never read it , the article itself or the other Narconon Nevada complaint sent to fed * state agencies by another victim.

It's obvious that you need to read the article, the CA lawsuit
http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2009/07/06/18605842.php

and on the Narconon Nevada state complaint sent to thr fed and states involved:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/17125312/Complaint-vs-Narconon-Nevada-Narconon-Southern-California

Regardig what NArconon is in relation to Scientology:

Narconon=Scientology Dox on early history
http://www.scribd.com/doc/8977706/NarcononScientology

You can read all about the NarCONon program at the link below and see dox and texts on it's program and on it's history since 1997 here:
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/123-leaks-legal/leaking-narconon-course-packs-material-48722/

See? There's no excuse for your confusions on this any more, right? Good.

Last edited:

Doom

Lurking.
Sad really sad

I really think the whole program would be very workable if it was just allowed to get on with it and do its job, but there is far too much "CASHCOWING" going on shorly in the first year of students all the facilities could have been paid for and mabye really have a working NN But the constant not paying of staff is just BS and no real equipment thats BS too It would have all been paid for and staff paid if the money wasnt going elsewhere, so here is the wake up call to ABLE, let the thing get off the ground and fly before you get your fingers into the pie and then it will be world class re-hab centre rather than some half assed badly funded and run re-hab centre.

Really this of all things should be given a fair go.:grouch: