ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

New Scientology Desert School – Mojave Academy. Is it sufficiently isolated & remote?

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by CommunicatorIC, Jan 20, 2015.

View Users: View Users
  1. CommunicatorIC

CommunicatorIC @IndieScieNews on Twitter

New Scientology Desert School – Mojave Academy. Is it sufficiently isolated and remote?

Sec Check: New Scientology Desert School – Mojave Academy
    https://seccheck.wordpress.com/2015/01/19/new-scientology-desert-school-mojave-academy/

* * * * * BEGIN QUOTATION * * * * *

[​IMG]

This is the new location of Mojave Academy, located six miles North of Edgewood, New Mexico. The former location near Datil, New Mexico closed in 2013. Mojave Academy is sometimes confused with the Mace-Kingsley Ranch, which was near Reserve, NM and has also closed. Both schools were licensed by Scientology subsidiary Applied Scholastics. Mace-Kingsley was led by accused pedophile and rapist Wally Hanks, and there are many accounts of abuse at that facility. We are unable to find any detailed accounts of life at the old Mojave Academy, but the history of children sent to Scientology boarding school in desert locations is one of mistreatment and neglect.

Mojave Academy is not open yet, but the 40 acre property includes a main house, stable, workshop and 500 meter airstrip. Below are photos of the new facility.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update: We were directed to this description of life at the old Mojave Academy:
    Horrible place. My daughter didn’t need handling. She went there to be the nanny, but then got put on the program. She learned way more than I wanted her to learn at the age of 12. How to smoke and what a blow job was. Their version of Murder Routine when pulling O/Ws from kids. And her living conditions were horrid. I wouldn’t let a dog I didn’t like live like that.

* * * * * END QUOTATION * * * * *

This cross-post is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 International License.
    [​IMG]

2. Intervention

Intervention Patron

Re: New Scientology Desert School – Mojave Academy. Is it sufficiently isolated & rem

I worked as a "teacher" at the Mojave Academy in Datil in 2006!! It was a desperate, terrible place. I loved the kids but the other teachers treated them like criminals. I tried to make the kids' lives a little better by always refusing to enforce the millions of rules the school had, which were seemingly designed to take away their childhood. When I was working there I was also the only one that taught anything besides Scientology courses and grounds-keeping activities. I taught English, math, history, photography, and I encouraged the kids to do as much writing and art as possible.

I'm a guy and haven't cried for years, but right now I have a huge lump in my throat and I'm shaking as I remember this place. Imagine being in the middle of a national forest, about 40 miles from the nearest village, living in a trailer with a bunch of pent-up hardcore Scientologists. It was a very dark place. I was utterly depressed. On top of this, I was living there in the Winter and didn't have heat in my trailer. Once I looked at the thermometer outside my trailer. It was at minus forty. The groundskeeper confirmed the temperature with his own thermometer. Despite this, he and the school administrators denied my request for a space heater. They had space heaters in storage, they just didn't feel like giving me one. I grew up as a Scientologist so I didn't think much of that kind of behavior, but looking back I can't believe how fucked up the Mojave Academy was.

I could go on forever about how awful it was but Jenna Misgavige Hill already wrote a detailed description in her memoir, Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape. She didn't go to the Mojave Academy but her description of "The Ranch" is identical to what the Mojave Academy was like.

It was especially bad for me because I left the Church shortly before going to the Mojave Academy to teach. I had just begun to discover the outside world before I was tricked back into the Scientology world, totally against my will. It's too complicated a story to write the whole thing, but I was tricked into going there as a teacher in order to keep me in the Scientology. I didn't know it was a Scientology school and I only had enough money for the one-way trip there. I thought by going into the middle of New Mexico to teach, I could start to recover from my Scientology upbringing and begin to acclimate to the real world.
    Unfortunately once I made it to the Mojave Academy, I was trapped. I fell hard into a depression. Not knowing anything about depression, I had no idea what to do. Every day it got worse. After working there for a few months I secretly blew, and drove a couple hundred miles to the Grand Canyon. My plan was to jump off it. I sat on the edge of the Grand Canyon for hours until I worked up enough strength to get up and drive back. After another few weeks I began to regret my decision not to jump and blew again. This time for good.

I drove to my only non-Scientologist friend's house. Looking back now, it would have been so easy to ask my friend to stay with him while I got my feet on the ground. Unfortunately by that point I didn't trust anyone, especially not my friends. Growing up in Scientology taught me to be weary of the people closest to me, but being at the Mojave Academy, and the way I was tricked into going there, had shattered any trust I had in anyone and anything, including my own reality. I was really off the deep end by that point. After spending the night at his house, I woke up the next morning, bought some food (I hadn't eaten for days,) didn't eat, and then drove off the highest cliff I could find on a mountain road. As I was flying through the air in my car, I felt relieved knowing that I would never have to go to a place like the Mojave Academy again. Incredibly I survived, despite my car being reduced to a two foot tall pancake.

A week later my parents got a few letters from the Mojave Academy kids saying how much they liked the Mojave Academy. The kids there are literally forced to write these kind of letters from time to time, and since some of the children had few people to write to, they wrote to me. It was heartbreaking. A week after kid's "happy letters" arrived, my parents got a package from the Mojave Academy. It was filled with junk mail addressed to me, at my Mojave Academy address. There was a note in the package that simply said, "Next time we get mail for you, we're throwing it out." That was the last I heard from the Mojave Academy.

3. Leland

Leland Crusader

Re: New Scientology Desert School – Mojave Academy. Is it sufficiently isolated & rem

Thanks, a heart wrenching post.

I am glad you made it.

No mater what happens now....you got out.

4. Intervention

Intervention Patron

Thank you Leland! At the time, my family and Scientologist friends treated the whole thing as a flap, and treated me like a cold-hearted SP. I mean, only an SP would want to tarnish their reputations by daring to dramatize his case on a public highway! But seriously, thank you. I've never told this story - even to my amazing girlfriend of 8 years. It means a lot to know that someone out there has heard it.

5. Re: New Scientology Desert School – Mojave Academy. Is it sufficiently isolated & rem

Your story is heart-wrenching and shocking. For those who are unfamiliar with the bizarre world of Scientology possibly unbelievable. For those of us in the know we know these things happen.

So glad you're out and survived the Thelma and Louise plunge. Good God, gives me the chills. Hope one day to hear the whole story.

6. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

That was an amazing story! Thank-you for sharing it.

I'm glad that you survived both scientology and that fall. :thumbsup:

7. lotus

lotus stubborn rebel sheep!

When will these guys be stop the save mankind ???

Especially children ???

So they can put their effort in salvaging themselve :unsure:

8. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Hi Intervention,

:welcome2: to ESMB!

We are happy to have you here and I'd like to give you a hug. :bighug:

Thank you for telling your story, though it is a heart-breaking one. A good number of us have been temporarily driven to high anxiety and beyond by the insanity and criminality of Scientology. A person would have to be truly crazy to live and work in an environment like that and see all that going on and not be deeply bothered. It is a measure of your sanity and good instincts that you left. It is also a measure of how much the cult of Scientology had made you feel like you were unimportant, insignificant and evil that you would ever feel a desire to do away with yourself.

Give yourself a big hug. You're a good person, valuable and have integrity.

How has your recovery been since you've left? Are you doing okay now?

Sheila

9. Leland

Leland Crusader

I had a similar thought related to my life....back around 2002, after I left the Cult. I have as yet to write about it.

Again. Thanks for the post...and your words.

10. Smurf

Smurf Gold Meritorious SP

Mojave Academy - Domestic Nonprofit
    Corp # 2048353
    Date of Incorporation: Dec-02-1999
    State of Incorporation: NM
    Fiscal Year Date: Dec-31-2014
    Report Due date: May-15-2015

1. Corp Mailing Address: 1208 SAN PEDRO NE PMB #232, ALBUQUERQUE, NM - 87110
    2. Principal Place of Business: 247 DAVENPORT CANYON RD, DATIL, NM - 87110

Directors:

1. CHERI HALL
    2. KENDRA COPELAN
    3. LAUREL COPELAN
    4. John Vasko
    5. JACK PROVIDENTI

Officers:

1. President - HALL, CHERI
    2. Vice President - KENDRA COPELAN
    3. Secretary - JACK PROVIDENTI

They're moving: https://www.facebook.com/mojaveacademy

https://www.facebook.com/cheri.hall.77

https://www.facebook.com/kendra.copelan

https://www.facebook.com/laurel.copelan

https://www.facebook.com/john.vasko.3

https://www.facebook.com/Providentiart

11. Intervention

Intervention Patron

Thank you Sheila! I'm doing OK now. I later went to college and excelled at middle eastern conflicts and politics (and politics in general,) which after growing up in Scientology are pretty easy concepts to grasp. Now that I've graduated, I'm saving up to move somewhere and give some much needed help to Syrian/Iraqi refugees. My ultimate goal is to have a facility that can take in refugees from anywhere and give them a place to have a community and safe place to acclimate into the real world.

12. Smurf

ACCOUNT: 94508160
    NAME: MOJAVE ACADEMY

BUSINESS ADDRESS: 1208 SAN PEDRO DR NE # 232
    ALBUQUERQUE , NM 87110

PROPERTY USE: SRES
    TAX DISTRICT: 8T
    PROPERTY ADDRESS: 90 AB DRAKE RD , T11N R 7E S23 40 AC S2-S2-SW4 , ,
    DEED BOOK and PAGE: 1754943
    MAP CODE: 1-041-063-132-033 FILL1

Assessment Info: 2014 Land & Improvement Values

Land Value: $82400
    Improvements: $132509
    Personal Property: $0
    Alternate Value: $0
    Livestock Value $0
    Exemptions $0
    Total Full Value:$214908.98
    Total Taxable Value: $71636.33

The property is actually in Stanley, NM, but it's also listed as Edgewood.

http://www.propertyshark.com/mason/Property/131863545/90-A-Drake-Rd-Edgewood-NM-87015

More photos here: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/90-Drake-Rd-Edgewood-NM-87015/2118663140_zpid

Mojave's director, Cheri Hall: https://www.facebook.com/cheri.hall.77

13. renegade

renegade Silver Meritorious Patron

Joke Reader used to run this school. She used to be in the SO but was ok'd by LRH to go out and produce new recruits for the SO, and it was her purpose in running the school. Her right arm was another ex-SO who used to be the EO from AOLA. What happened to the two of them?

14. imSPecial

imSPecial Patron with Honors

thank you for telling this story intervention and congrats on graduating.

i hesitate to tell too much, but each time i read another account it gives me more courage.

15. Smurf

Joke Reeder & Sarah Brauninger now run the Scilon school, New Horizons, in Texas. http://www.newhorizonsacad.org/who-we-are

https://www.facebook.com/joke.reeder

16. Intervention

Intervention Patron

Thanks for the info Smurf. Because I never met Joke (pronounced Yoke, like Yoko) I always imagined her as an Asian cyborg or something. Cheri Hall, the person in charge of the Mojave Academy, would get particularly uppity and secretive on the days she had conference calls with Joke, and talked about her as if she was part of a super-secret project overlord. It's funny to know now that Joke is an elderly woman who looks like she left her fashion sense in 1962.