What's new

Old time Scientologist in South Africa

Jump

Operating teatime
To show that it's a valid Declare, the person would need to include their name, which I would assume most people don't want to be made public. That's why they post using a pseudonym.

I don't think it would make any difference at all to the CofS except to give them more information to target us with.

Well, that's true. It would definitely identify you to the cult because every one is different in a nauseatingly Shermanistic way.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
To show that it's a valid Declare, the person would need to include their name, which I would assume most people don't want to be made public. That's why they post using a pseudonym.

I don't think it would make any difference at all to the CofS except to give them more information to target us with.
I certainly don't need them hassling me but it's a question of putting your money where your mouth is. I'll have to think about it. As I said in another post the other day, pusillanimity is my middle name.

Also, each EO has an unique number that I've just remembered as I look at exhibit 'A'.

Thanks, Arthur, and all the others who have welcomed me.

I have not kept my SP declaration, but I do have a "Founding Scientologist" certificate!

I chucked out a lot of my Scientology books, but still have "Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science", "Dianetics" (gold edged pages 1986 commemorative edition), "Science of Survival", "Creation of Human Ability" (1955 pocket edition with gold lined pages), "Clear Procedure Issue 1", and "Dianetics Today".

I once had all three of the Astounding articles - "Evolution of a Science", "Dianometry" and "Preventive Dianetics", but passed them on to another Scientologist when I left.

Also have "Inside Scientology" by Robert Kaufman, and have read "Hubbard: Madman or Messiah".

Mike

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Thanks for those kind words, Knows, but actually it is not that simple. Achieving SP is just the start of a long journey. Kicking out the rubbish is just the beginning, and then you have to replace it with something good, worthwhile and rational to base your life on. A healthy dose of skepticism is a good start, though.

It took me several years before I felt I had really earned my SP status, studying science, philosophy and religion, and thinking hard, until I felt I had a good basis for my life and beliefs. There are still many holes, where I can only say "I don't know", such as the nature of consciousness, how my experience can be explained by neurons firing signals at each other in my brain, why there should be something rather than nothing, and why this particular something. I shall never know the answer to these conundrums, but at least I believe I can say I have achieved a good, consistent, rational, scientific philosophy of life to live by.

Mike

Hey Mike - I'm late to the party but still want to welcome you to the board :cheers:

I think being open and honest enough to say "I don't know" is the only thing that allows us to maintain intellectual integrity by continuing to examine our beliefs.

Best,
Blanky

Two Cents

Patron with Honors
Welcome, Mike, it's nice to have you around. Enjoy the neighborhood, the natives are friendly...

Love,

:):)

Two Cents

Hello all,

I have not had the nasty experiences that most of the members seem to have had, as Scientology was just becoming evil at the time that I left it.

I read "Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science" in Astounding SF while in my final year of school in 1955, and got hooked. Then got "Science of Survival" from the library, and learned about Theta and Mest. Then met Keith Gerry who was practicing in Johannesburg at the time. He had an office in Eloff street, and close by was the office of another Scientologist, K.Cameron Gunn. I thought Scientologists must all follow a weird naming convention - L.Ron, U.Keith and K.Cameron!

Keith was a tall, blonde Scot, a very nice guy. Trained as an aeronautical engineer. He gave me a course of processing free, because the "6 levels" had just come out, and he wanted to practice them. He lent me "Scientlogy 8-80" on condition that he would have my balls if I did not return it intact. And he introduced me to "Only The Silent Hear" by Kenneth Walker, which got me interested in the teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky. At that time I think all us Scientologists were squirrels, searching all over for answers, into yoga, mysticism and everything. Keith could recite the whole of Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat.

Did an HPA course in September 1956, taught by Margaret Scholtz and Jack Horner. In following years I did a B.Scn course and several refresher courses. One day in 1963 I got into an argument with a friend undergoing psycho-analysis, and suddenly realized that all my arguments against psycho-analysis also applied to my acceptance of the tenets of Scientology. So I went to HASI in Johannesburg (it had now been set up by Jack and Alison Parkhouse, much to the dismay of local Scientologists), and told them that I wanted to see some evidence. Next thing I knew was that I had been declared a "suppressive person", and all my friends were told to have nothing to do with me.

So I had to sort out my ideas. This took several years, studying science, psychology, philosophy, mysticism, etc, and I ended up the skeptic and atheist that I am now. As far as I am concerned, the title SP is the highest award you can get from Scientology. It means you have learned to think for yourself. Scientology has nothing further to offer you.

But I still feel that Scientology was a great disappointment. It offered so much, and gave nothing.

As a matter of interest, Keith Gerry went over to Saint Hill to do a D.Scn course. When he returned, he declared that Hubbard was raving mad!

Mike

cooooooooooooooooool...

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Hi Mike!

welcome.jpg

Thanks for your terrific posts. Glad you joined us! :thumbsup:

phenomanon

Canyon
Thanks, Arthur, and all the others who have welcomed me.

I have not kept my SP declaration, but I do have a "Founding Scientologist" certificate!

I chucked out a lot of my Scientology books, but still have "Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science", "Dianetics" (gold edged pages 1986 commemorative edition), "Science of Survival", "Creation of Human Ability" (1955 pocket edition with gold lined pages), "Clear Procedure Issue 1", and "Dianetics Today".

I once had all three of the Astounding articles - "Evolution of a Science", "Dianometry" and "Preventive Dianetics", but passed them on to another Scientologist when I left.

Also have "Inside Scientology" by Robert Kaufman, and have read "Hubbard: Madman or Messiah".

Mike

I have a Founding Scientologist Cert, too.
I don't know that I have a declare. If I don't have one, I should have. I've been out here agitating since 1983.

BardoThodol

Silver Meritorious Patron
I shall never know the answer to these conundrums, but at least I believe I can say I have achieved a good, consistent, rational, scientific philosophy of life to live by.

Mike

Mike,

Might I suggest that "good" is often not as fun as "bad"...

that an expectation for what is consistent will ruin a marriage...

that rationality has serious limits--especially when trying to get a date...

and that scientific philosophy just seems irrelevant in the world of art--not to mention completely useless when you're horny?

Other than that, what you wrote sure looks good on paper--or at least, what we're substituting for paper these days.

Gib

Crusader
But I still feel that Scientology was a great disappointment. It offered so much, and gave nothing.

Mike

No shit. :thumbsup:

It sure did offer much, such as "clear" and "OT" with all those significances attached to achieving such states of awareness, beingness..............

Why Hubbard said scientology removed significance, only in the meantime it added significance. Ron's brand. :laugh:

Hubbard says the way to beat the IRS, tax collectors, is to name the significance, of the tax write off, before the IRS does.

And so, it is, the same story that is called scientology. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Just attach the significance, called "clear" & "OT", and there you go, you get to charge lots of money, for words, books, lectures, for

spoken words. :hifive:

Over and over. LOL

Add in, a profession, called auditing, as auditors are the the smartest people on earth,

add in, Sea Org members, the elite of the elite, of scientology..............

BardoThodol

Silver Meritorious Patron
No shit. :thumbsup:

It sure did offer much, such as "clear" and "OT" with all those significances attached to achieving such states of awareness, beingness..............

Why Hubbard said scientology removed significance, only in the meantime it added significance. Ron's brand. :laugh:

Hubbard says the way to beat the IRS, tax collectors, is to name the significance, of the tax write off, before the IRS does.

And so, it is, the same story that is called scientology. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Just attach the significance, called "clear" & "OT", and there you go, you get to charge lots of money, for words, books, lectures, for

spoken words. :hifive:

Over and over. LOL

Add in, a profession, called auditing, as auditors are the the smartest people on earth,

add in, Sea Org members, the elite of the elite, of scientology..............

Sort of like an Etch-a-sketch, where your sketch is erased (cleared) to make room to duplicate the perfect sketch of existence rendered by the Greatest Creator in the Universe who was the only being capable of grasping the true nature of existence. (hint: we're not suggesting that He is God. Or are we?)

After all, nothing is true for you, unless you make it up yourself.

Unless, of course, that doesn't agree with COU. (Chairman of the Universe)

Mike,

Might I suggest that "good" is often not as fun as "bad"...

that an expectation for what is consistent will ruin a marriage...

that rationality has serious limits--especially when trying to get a date...

and that scientific philosophy just seems irrelevant in the world of art--not to mention completely useless when you're horny?

Bardo, I am 76 years old. Rationality is all I have left!

Mike

Hello all,

I have not had the nasty experiences that most of the members seem to have had, as Scientology was just becoming evil at the time that I left it.

I read "Dianetics: The Evolution of a Science" in Astounding SF while in my final year of school in 1955, and got hooked. Then got "Science of Survival" from the library, and learned about Theta and Mest. Then met Keith Gerry who was practicing in Johannesburg at the time. He had an office in Eloff street, and close by was the office of another Scientologist, K.Cameron Gunn. I thought Scientologists must all follow a weird naming convention - L.Ron, U.Keith and K.Cameron!

Keith was a tall, blonde Scot, a very nice guy. Trained as an aeronautical engineer. He gave me a course of processing free, because the "6 levels" had just come out, and he wanted to practice them. He lent me "Scientlogy 8-80" on condition that he would have my balls if I did not return it intact. And he introduced me to "Only The Silent Hear" by Kenneth Walker, which got me interested in the teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky. At that time I think all us Scientologists were squirrels, searching all over for answers, into yoga, mysticism and everything. Keith could recite the whole of Omar Khayyam's Rubaiyat.

Did an HPA course in September 1956, taught by Margaret Scholtz and Jack Horner. In following years I did a B.Scn course and several refresher courses. One day in 1963 I got into an argument with a friend undergoing psycho-analysis, and suddenly realized that all my arguments against psycho-analysis also applied to my acceptance of the tenets of Scientology. So I went to HASI in Johannesburg (it had now been set up by Jack and Alison Parkhouse, much to the dismay of local Scientologists), and told them that I wanted to see some evidence. Next thing I knew was that I had been declared a "suppressive person", and all my friends were told to have nothing to do with me.

So I had to sort out my ideas. This took several years, studying science, psychology, philosophy, mysticism, etc, and I ended up the skeptic and atheist that I am now. As far as I am concerned, the title SP is the highest award you can get from Scientology. It means you have learned to think for yourself. Scientology has nothing further to offer you.

As a matter of interest, Keith Gerry went over to Saint Hill to do a D.Scn course. When he returned, he declared that Hubbard was raving mad!

Mike

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your notes. I am writing a biography of Jack Horner for Scientolipedia, and this is the first time I have run across anything of his South African visit. I came into Scn in 1954 (Easter) in England and got thrown out in 1983, so probably more, good and bad, has rubbed off on me than on you! I have a copy of Summary of Scientology with a forward by K. Cameron Gunn, and did have U. Keith Gerry's book (rather larger than the average book) but, curses be, I cannot find it.

Jack Parkhouse was Association Secretary (chief) at London Org, and I worked for him. I remember in about 1957 Allison and a friend of hers came from South Africa, and Jack married Allison and was "sent" to South Africa to run the Church.

I'd be intereted to hear more of Jack Horner. He left Scn in the mid 60s (I have not found out details) and started his own thing up. He gave a series of lectures similar to Scientology (many of them in the magazine IVy ( http://articles.ivymag.org/ ).

All best wishes, Ant ([email protected])

Terril park

Sponsor
Dear Mike,

Thanks for your notes. I am writing a biography of Jack Horner for Scientolipedia, and this is the first time I have run across anything of his South African visit. I came into Scn in 1954 (Easter) in England and got thrown out in 1983, so probably more, good and bad, has rubbed off on me than on you! I have a copy of Summary of Scientology with a forward by K. Cameron Gunn, and did have U. Keith Gerry's book (rather larger than the average book) but, curses be, I cannot find it.

Jack Parkhouse was Association Secretary (chief) at London Org, and I worked for him. I remember in about 1957 Allison and a friend of hers came from South Africa, and Jack married Allison and was "sent" to South Africa to run the Church.

I'd be intereted to hear more of Jack Horner. He left Scn in the mid 60s (I have not found out details) and started his own thing up. He gave a series of lectures similar to Scientology (many of them in the magazine IVy ( http://articles.ivymag.org/ ).

Pat Krenik may be able to tell you something about Jack Horner.

phenomanon

Canyon
Good God! Ant, you had better do a bunch more research on Jack if you are to write about him. You can prolly find a copy of his declare on this Board, if you look.
Jack was declared in the 50's.
He had his own practice for years in Sta Monica. Dianology he called it.
He was President of CADA for years.
He married a lady named Melanie. He married a lady named Carol.
He smoked like LRH and had emphesema ( spelling)
COS harrassed Jack for all the yers he was alive after he was declared. I think I have written some about that in the past.
What have you written about him? Anything?

phenomanon

Canyon
Dear Mike,

BTW, surely you know that Jack was FROM So Africa, don't you?