What's new

Panorama: Secrets of Scientology (Showing BBC1 28th Sept 2010 9pm UK)

KnightVision

Gold Meritorious Patron
Terribly weak ending. Horrible. GROSS!
The body of the program is very good, obviously critical but certainly not slanderous and it has a just measure of fairness as it is clear to any intelligent viewer the subject has appealing virtues and the critique is not delivered with an inflammatory tone. Except just before the conclusion where the “makes your blood boil” buttons are lightly pressed and then BANG the label “cult” slams against the back of the skull.
As DeRopp points out in “The Master Game,” man is always trying to think with a part of the mind not intended for thinking but is merely a labeling device. Do we not all chafe at being labeled “SP” “DB” “PTS” or” Wog”? Have not the best of us openly repented with true remorse for having done so when we we’re “in”? (just by the way, through my sins are legion, those who knew me at FCDC might recall now, though you did not notice at the time, I did not go into agreement with the labels and NEVER used them). The upshot of the program (me) is to push the bipeds back into their slumber and herd them away from scientology. The ending makes sooth of Tommy’s allegation Sweeny is a bigot with an agenda. It’s awfully painful to me as he so well won me over to him with the body of the piece. The close is worse than worthless, It’s rotten.
Please people, get to work on learning HOW to think. Maybe get to work on dismissing an all too frequent tendency to tell others what to think. This is one of the greatest hallmarks separating US from THEM. We have always always always taught HOW to think. They always always always teach WHAT to think. Hubbard offers valuable insight saying the “analytical mind” thinks in differences and similarities and the “reactive mind” thinks in identities. Thinking in labels is RM thought, it decreases awareness and generates re-stimulation and the show finished with a sickly CLUNK

For you perhaps it ended that way. But you're post above speaks of a person who thinks in Scn concepts which are nothing more than a process of WHAT to think and HOW to draw conclusions using Sci think. The fact is that the program demonstrates very clearly how Sci think and practices are covert and intended to cause specific effects upon people depending on whether they fall in line or not. That's what the public needs to know and in that regard the show delivered.

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
I finally got to watch it yesterday and I loved it.:happydance:

It should hit its targeted audience very well and convince them of the dangers of Scamology.:yes:

It's not intended for scilons, critics, exes or any of the minorities (like OSAspawn) who lurk here - it's to educate BBC watchers on Scamology, and if you look at it from that viewpoint, it succeeds magnificently.

And it makes M & M come across as nice but maybe slightly daffy, avuncular chaps and the Headleys and Amy Scobee as real and nice people, unlike the robots on the other side.

Best of all, it'll have DM shitting bricks - and that has to be a good thing.:D

not guilty your honor

For you perhaps it ended that way. But you're post above speaks of a person who thinks in Scn concepts which are nothing more than a process of WHAT to think and HOW to draw conclusions using Sci think. The fact is that the program demonstrates very clearly how Sci think and practices are covert and intended to cause specific effects upon people depending on whether they fall in line or not. That's what the public needs to know and in that regard the show delivered.

hi KV. If you would punch up my posts and look at my body of work on this board you wouldn't accuse me of scienothink. I loved the body of the program. I dislike the ending. Just for one thing, what comes of labelling it a cult? "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me nana nana na na"

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
but, Bird, Scientology *is* a Cult. Not just 'Church of Scientology' or even 'Church of Miscavitology' but Scientology *itself*. It was always intended to be a Cult.

Zinj

EXORCISE THE ZINJIFARIANS!!!

Unquestionably CoS has many cultlike aspects that generate human tragedy and you know that I know that firsthand. Can the Roman Catholic Church be labelled a cult? It was first presented to me as "a nondenominational applied religious philosophy" and if a person treats it as an applied religious philosophy it really is an applied religious philosophy. As to CoS, I wouldn't recommend anyone go in the place without an Abrams and a platoon of Marines.

but, Bird, Scientology *is* a Cult. Not just 'Church of Scientology' or even 'Church of Miscavitology' but Scientology *itself*. It was always intended to be a Cult.

Zinj

You can't argue that, if Hubbard intend it to be anything other than a cult, he would have put his material in the public domain. Every aspect of Scientology is designed to control Scientologists. Practicing Sceintology outside of the cult is far less cult-like and might not even be considered cult-like. I don't have a problem with someone being an audit junkie in the Freezone, but it's no more a religion than playing video games is a religion.

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
Tell me 'Science of Survival' isn't 'culty'.

There is no evil practiced by Scientology that isn't predicted in Science of Survival. No excuse for evil. DMSMH is bad, but, SoS is the declaration of the 'movement'.

Zinj

Goodbye

Patron with Honors
... in the Freezone, but cult is far less cult-like and might not even be considered cult-like.
Freezone is Tech-oriented, that is ... Auditor Training and Auditing. No Regging, Events, Call to Arms, Command Intention, Spiritual Militia Crusades, SP Declares, Disconnections, PI Harassment, etc. Neither is it considered "A deadly Activitity", nor are any "fixed dedicated Stares" required. Therein lies the Difference between the Scientology Auditor/Auditing Application (Call it a Religion, Philosophy or Science or whatever you like) and the money-motivated, cattle-herding Mindfuck of the Cult.

it's no more a religion than playing video games is a religion.
Per the Dictionary, the 1 single Constituent of any Religion is "Belief". In Fact the Word "Religion" itself comes from Latin meaning "reverence for the gods / holiness / a system of religious belief".

Thus, if you have a Number of Individuals who in common "believe" auditing (an agreed-upon spiritual practice) will lead into the Sphere of the Supreme Being ... then you have a Religion.

And yet another contracts an Auditor/Practitioner to deliver an auditing/counseling Service ... and it may not be anymore religious than Freudian Analysis.

LRH clearly stated "Belief" is not required for auditing to work.
And that has been my Experience.

One can however surmise if one 'believes' that auditing will eventually lead to more spiritual Knowledge of the Supreme Being, then one can safely assume its Practices and Application are religious in Nature.

Last edited:

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Per the Dictionary, the 1 single Constituent of any Religion is "Belief". In Fact the Word "Religion" itself comes from Latin meaning "reverence for the gods / holiness / a system of religious belief".

Thus, if you have a Number of Individuals who in common "believe" auditing (an agreed-upon spiritual practice) will lead into the Sphere of the Supreme Being ... then you have a Religion.

And yet another contracts an Auditor/Practitioner to deliver an auditing/counseling Service ... and it may not be anymore religious than Freudian Analysis.

LRH clearly stated "Belief" is not required for auditing to work.
And that has been my Experience.

One can however surmise if one 'believes' that auditing will eventually lead to more spiritual Knowledge of the Supreme Being, then one can safely assume its Practices and Application are religious in Nature.

Scientology leads only to more Scientology.

It is a big toxic pool of spiritual deception.

It does NOT lead to more spiritual knowledge.

The proof of that is the fact that you can't even get the definition of religion right.

From : http://www.teachingaboutreligion.org/WhitePapers/Larue_whatisreligion.htm

The root of the word "religion" is usually traced to the Latin religare (re: back, and ligare: to bind), so that the term is associated with "being bound." The idea may reflect a concept prominent in biblical literature. Israel was said to be in a "covenant" (berith) relationship with its God (Yahweh). In a sense, the nation was "covenanted" or "bonded" to the deity. But what does being bound or bonded mean? Is a slave who is bound or bonded to his or her master in a "religious" relationship? Is a business agreement which binds partners in a legal covenant a form of "religious" binding? At one time in human history, such "bindings" may have had religious sanction, but today, in America, slavery is outlawed and business contracts are made in legal settings. This particular notion of religion as "binding" doesn't really fit and therefore this interpretation of the root meaning of the term proves not to be particularly helpful.

On the other hand, one might argue that the religious person is one "bound" by choice or by commitment to the tenets of a particular faith system. Once again, the parameters of this definition can be broadened to include any commitment to a particular way of life. Such an expansion would embrace concepts like "philosophy" or "psychology" or even any chosen way of living. One's religion then becomes "how one lives one's life" or "how one lives in the light of a particular commitment" or, in popular vernacular, one's "life style." Obviously, while the term "commitment" may provide some insight into the concept of "being bound," it is far too inclusive to be acceptable.
Being BOUND is exactly what a religion is and does - to one's mind.

It is the perfect word for that activity.

As for those bound to the Scientology Religion, you can see the results in this post.

Chuck the barkeep cuts my whiskey

You can't argue that, if Hubbard intend it to be anything other than a cult, he would have put his material in the public domain. Every aspect of Scientology is designed to control Scientologists. Practicing Sceintology outside of the cult is far less cult-like and might not even be considered cult-like. I don't have a problem with someone being an audit junkie in the Freezone, but it's no more a religion than playing video games is a religion.

I got no idea what Hubbard intended. I got a thousand different ideas of what Hubbard intended. What I intend is to continue to do OT CCH's with the New England Patriots and see if I can get another ring out of Brady. Damn! Thirtytwo seconds short of Perfection. The 2007 season was to be the culmination of the five year plan I plotted out in November of '03, the blowout season. When we latched onto Moss I locked the crosshairs on 19-0. Damn! "Someone left the cake out in the rain and I don't think that I can take it 'cause it took so long to bake it and I'll never have that recipe again...."

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I know why that didn't work out. I was awake and alert and intending for the Patriots to win during those other 18 games. During the Superbowl, I was in a coma. Thus, the Patriots lost. It's my fault.