What's new

People who no longer have Scientologist Online pages

Apparently it does not mean much, as the vast majority of the names listed under Hungary are still very much active in Scientology. E.g. Gábor Lenkei is the top donor of Scientology, donated over 1M USD to IAS and Super Power (each!), and still a major propopent of the cult.

I'll take another look at Hungary. It may be poor webmastering, like the disappearance of anybody in DC or Missouri.

Apparently it does not mean much, as the vast majority of the names listed under Hungary are still very much active in Scientology. E.g. Gábor Lenkei is the top donor of Scientology, donated over 1M USD to IAS and Super Power (each!), and still a major propopent of the cult.

Gábor Lenkei disappeared from the list between 2005 and 2007. I'm sure there was a reason he was removed, it doesn't appear to be an error.

Presumably, once coerced to have their info put up, scientologists could not easily request to have it taken down, without being regarded as being out ethics?

I don't understand how the whole thing was supposed to help the cult - was it simply a way to get people to stumble on bits of promo about the cult - or was there more to it than that?

I am also curious about whether the cult still maintains the thing and keeps addiing to it.
Imagine being in the cult now with all the bad internet atmosphere and being hounded by them to stick yer name up endorsing the cult. That would be a great activity to demonstrate "can't hide" on the tone scale. :biggrin:

I notice that James Ferriss (NZ) is on the list, as a person whose page has been removed.
I think he is Mike Ferriss's son (OSA Fail-IC). So I wonder why he is taken down. Probably joined his dad in the most scumbag career on the planet and is protecting his cover by not being up in the public eye. Wouldn't it be great if he is down because he is out?

Presumably, once coerced to have their info put up, scientologists could not easily request to have it taken down, without being regarded as being out ethics?

I don't understand how the whole thing was supposed to help the cult - was it simply a way to get people to stumble on bits of promo about the cult - or was there more to it than that?

I am also curious about whether the cult still maintains the thing and keeps addiing to it.
Imagine being in the cult now with all the bad internet atmosphere and being hounded by them to stick yer name up endorsing the cult. That would be a great activity to demonstrate "can't hide" on the tone scale. :biggrin:

I notice that James Ferriss (NZ) is on the list, as a person whose page has been removed.
I think he is Mike Ferriss's son (OSA Fail-IC). So I wonder why he is taken down. Probably joined his dad in the most scumbag career on the planet and is protecting his cover by not being up in the public eye. Wouldn't it be great if he is down because he is out?

From talking to some former OSA people, it is not maintained, and it is not added to. From time to time, it's been noted that somebody who blows is removed from the site, but as far as I know this is the first attempt to compare the changes over time. The idea back in the day was that they would out-create sites like xenu.net and overwhelm search engines with the large volume of pages and links. Fortunately, Google is smarter than that and looks at things like links from outside the domain and other secret factors to determine the best pages that match your search.

I hope James is out now. Nobody I've talked to remembers a time when somebody was removed for joining staff or signing a SO contract. If it's not a Scientology stat, it doesn't get done.

BunnySkull

Silver Meritorious Patron

?

Google spam. It was the cult's attempt to push real info about Scientology to the bottom of the search engine pages, so when you typed "Scientology" you'd get pages of happy member profiles rather than Xenu.net.

It's didn't work because google's search algorithm wasn't some simple word index search - google rated pages for actual clicks and usage. Their search engine spam plan failed and it was abandoned, but that was the rationale behind the page creations. Thankfully, google was way smarter than the cults computer whizes.

You have to remember these pages were created really early onion web history. At that point ARS was the main source for info, then along came OCMB. These were the sites the cult was trying to surpress. I'm sure some really shitty early search engines (there used to be tons before google ruled the day) did get effected by the CoS spam but those search algorithms were so crappy they were doomed to fail anyway.

This is NOT OK !!!!

Gold Meritorious Patron
Google spam. It was the cult's attempt to push real info about Scientology to the bottom of the search engine pages, so when you typed "Scientology" you'd get pages of happy member profiles rather than Xenu.net.

It's didn't work because google's search algorithm wasn't some simple word index search - google rated pages for actual clicks and usage. Their search engine spam plan failed and it was abandoned, but that was the rationale behind the page creations. Thankfully, google was way smarter than the cults computer whizes.

You have to remember these pages were created really early onion web history. At that point ARS was the main source for info, then along came OCMB. These were the sites the cult was trying to surpress. I'm sure some really shitty early search engines (there used to be tons before google ruled the day) did get effected by the CoS spam but those search algorithms were so crappy they were doomed to fail anyway.

Then why does my cookie cutter site keep showing up on page 1 on google search of my name?

Out4long

Patron
Then why does my cookie cutter site keep showing up on page 1 on google search of my name?

Because your name probably isn't "scientology". :coolwink: The link scamming was to make results for the search term Scientology favor the church. When you type your name into google it should pop up with your scn page as a result. Or, another site with your name featured that is as old as that page...

exscio

Hey Rod,
As one of the people on this list, I would really like my name taken off, if at all possible! I don't want my name or online presence connected to the organization (I do think that even being known as an ex-member can hurt me in a professional capacity). I'd be happy to discuss and confirm my identity to you in a private conversation. If you get this message, please PM me! (as a new poster, I cannot send private messages yet...)
Thank you so much!

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

As Chip says, part of it could be that YOU are searching for it. Google tends to personalize the search results it feeds you. Search your name via Google from a computer you don't normally use (library etc), or Google it via a proxy (lotsa free proxies online).

Hey Rod,
As one of the people on this list, I would really like my name taken off, if at all possible! I don't want my name or online presence connected to the organization (I do think that even being known as an ex-member can hurt me in a professional capacity). I'd be happy to discuss and confirm my identity to you in a private conversation. If you get this message, please PM me! (as a new poster, I cannot send private messages yet...)
Thank you so much!

The cult couldn't care less and isn't about to do anything about it. If your name is John Smith it's no big deal, but if it is Benedictine Cummerbundersnatchi you've got a problem. If you do have a rare name, then one possibility is to ensure that a Google (or Bing etc) search pulls up OTHER pages about you. How do you do that? You get proactive about getting your name onto other pages. Start a blog or two, and preferably use a well-known provider like wordpress or blogger, and have your name be part of the blog name. Join some clubs that post activities/names online, and get your name in articles. Create some websites about whatever interests you, and have your name prominently featured in headings. It's a lot of work, but waiting for the cult to do something about it is just soul-destroying.

Paul

exscio2

As Chip says, part of it could be that YOU are searching for it. Google tends to personalize the search results it feeds you. Search your name via Google from a computer you don't normally use (library etc), or Google it via a proxy (lotsa free proxies online).

The cult couldn't care less and isn't about to do anything about it. If your name is John Smith it's no big deal, but if it is Benedictine Cummerbundersnatchi you've got a problem. If you do have a rare name, then one possibility is to ensure that a Google (or Bing etc) search pulls up OTHER pages about you. How do you do that? You get proactive about getting your name onto other pages. Start a blog or two, and preferably use a well-known provider like wordpress or blogger, and have your name be part of the blog name. Join some clubs that post activities/names online, and get your name in articles. Create some websites about whatever interests you, and have your name prominently featured in headings. It's a lot of work, but waiting for the cult to do something about it is just soul-destroying.

Paul

This is exscio responding but I am having difficulty logging in with the account I literally JUST created. Anyway, aside from the fact that I am obviously kind of technically inept :duh: I think you are misunderstanding my problem. I have already had the Scientology page removed. It no longer exists. I have a very distinctive name (as far as I know, there is only one other person with any online presence at all with a similar name) and a great deal of online presence, including a multipage website which is literally www.[myname].com and a great deal of professional work posted under my name. Despite this, when my name is searched, THIS WEBSITE is on the first page. That is what I want changed; I want my name removed from THIS website. Hopefully, if the original poster is still active, he will at some point read my message (or I will at some point be able to send him a private message) and he will remove my name from this list. I am still very much in contact with my family and am uninterested in having people searching for my name see it on a list of ex-Scientologists.

prosecco

Patron Meritorious

Paul

Depends if you're in the EU or not. If so, Google have implemented a system where you can request certain deletions based on EU privacy laws.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
This is exscio responding but I am having difficulty logging in with the account I literally JUST created. Anyway, aside from the fact that I am obviously kind of technically inept :duh: I think you are misunderstanding my problem.

Yes, I did misunderstand. Sorry.

Does this ESMB+[your name] hit still happen when [your name] is searched with a different search engine or a different computer that has never/rarely read ESMB?

Paul

exscio2

Yes, I did misunderstand. Sorry.

Does this ESMB+[your name] hit still happen when [your name] is searched with a different search engine or a different computer that has never/rarely read ESMB?

Paul

No problem!

When I first found it, I had never read ESMB before, but I have spent time on other websites about Scientology, so it is a possibility that google connects my searches with Scientology materials in a way that another's search might not. I'll look into using other browsers, safe mode, etc. Despite that, I'd really prefer for the original poster to just redact my name from the list if possible :)

ethercat

Cat in flight
No problem!

When I first found it, I had never read ESMB before, but I have spent time on other websites about Scientology, so it is a possibility that google connects my searches with Scientology materials in a way that another's search might not. I'll look into using other browsers, safe mode, etc. Despite that, I'd really prefer for the original poster to just redact my name from the list if possible :)

Please send a moderator alert (the icon with an exclamation point in a triangle) and tell the moderators your name. Posters can only edit for 24 hours after a post is made, then the moderators or an admin has to do it.