ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Presidential candidate Marianne Williamson says she does not support Scientology

Discussion in 'Breaking and Major News about Scientology' started by COS and NOI News, Aug 3, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. COS and NOI News

COS and NOI News @ISNOINews on Twitter

Presidential candidate Marianne Williamson says she does not support Scientology.

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1157242242685272065

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Marianne Williamson
    @marwilliamson

So let’s state it again. I’m pro medicine. I’m pro science. I’ve never told anyone not to take medicine. I’ve never fat-shamed anyone. And today there’s a new one: no I don’t support Scientology. The machinery of mischaracterization is in high gear now. Gee, did I upset someone?

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *

[​IMG]

JustSheila and tesseract like this.
  2. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Falsely alleging someone supports Scientology is the ultimate smear these days. :D

She did share a CCHR post on Facebook some years back but no evidence she was aware CCHR is a Scientology front group.
    https://www.facebook.com/williamsonmarianne/posts/10154784500795580

Here's a screenshot of that post. It does NOT align with Scientology beliefs. Scientologists would not say anti-depressants are helpful for some.

marianne.PNG

3. lotus

lotus stubborn rebel sheep!

What she said about anti-depressant is true.
    Many studies have proven it over the last decades.

The problem is that she linked To CCHR instead of linking to scientific studies.

Also using the death of Robin Williams To prove it being an effect of anti-depressants is fallacious, since nobody knows how anti-depressants have acted for him..Also, for Robin Williams, it was a condition of a lifetime. ( le mal de l'âme - a broken soul)

In the last decade, the medical field has been more honnest about depression information and they now admit that drugs are not curing but may possibly help while one is taking other major actions like a psychotherapy, being physically active, and changing lifestyle and routines as well as food.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    JustSheila, tesseract and Enthetan like this.
  4. Little David

Little David Gold Meritorious Patron

I have to give her credit for saying: "no I don’t support Scientology".

lotus, tesseract and Mimsey Borogrove like this.
  5. Little David

The Democratic presidential candidate also vigorously argued against the host's suggestion she preached "Scientology" when visiting 'Real Time' on Friday.

Democratic presidential candidate Marianne Williamson offered a sparky sparring partner for Bill Maher during an appearance on Real Time on Friday.

The host started with Williamson's 2019 book, A Politics of Love: A Handbook for a New American Revolution, and the book she taught from for years, Helen Schucman's A Course in Miracles, jokingly suggesting the latter's concepts sound "like Scientology," referencing a recent tweet from Williamson asserting that she did not support Scientology.

"How can you even say that?" Williamson shot back, arguing that the book is "based on universal spiritual themes" and has "no dogma, no doctrine." When Maher reminded her that Shucman had claimed she received dictation from Jesus, Williamson expressed that the book does not force any view on religion, but instead "it tries to get us to believe in each other."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...ms-trump-budget-cuts-we-have-no-heart-1229023

6. Little David

Bill Maher Tells Marianne Williamson Her Spiritual Work “Sounds Like Scientology”
    By Geoff Boucher

August 2, 2019 7:06pm

“That sounds,” Maher said, “like Scientology.” Williamson was aghast: “How can you even say that?” Maher wobbled a bit but didn’t back off much. “It just sounds like it, I’m not saying it is. I’m just suspicious when something is based on one book. That always worries me.”

Maher was alluding to Course of Miracles, the 1976 book by Helen Schucman that Williamson has cited as the North Star influence on her philosophy and career. Williamson gave him a brisk education on the topic of spirituality (i.e. she schooled Maher in front of God and/or everybody) and got a big ovation for punctuating the lecture with a subtle jab at Maher’s atheism.

“It is a book that is based on universal spiritual themes. It is not a religion. It does not claim any kind of monopoly on truth. It has no dogma, it has no doctrine. It talks about love and forgiveness and I think that so many of the people who are students of the Course of Miracles come from all religions and even no religions — people like you.”

https://deadline.com/2019/08/bill-m...tual-work-sounds-like-scientology-1202660427/

7. Type4_PTS

Type4_PTS Diamond Invictus SP

Anderson Cooper brings up the subject of Scientology with Williamson, saying that she relied on the CoS for facts concerning mental health.

He brings it up a couple times after the 5 minute mark of the video, but the whole interview is about her position on mental health issues

Mimsey Borogrove likes this.
  8. lotus

I've read the book " A course in miracle and did many exercices"
    It is correct to say
    - the writing has been channel
    - and some concepts ressemble Scientology pseudo metaphysical concepts ( Scientology 08-80 and axioms)

but she is correct to mention the core values preached are love and forgiveness (To the opposite of Scientology" hate and fair game" )

(It ressembles the book "the seat of the soul -Gary Zuckav")

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Cat's Squirrel likes this.
  9. COS and NOI News

COS and NOI News @ISNOINews on Twitter

VIDEO: Bill Maher tells presidential candidate Marianne Williamson her work “sounds Like Scientology.”

10. lotus

Glad to see you are back!

:cool:

Type4_PTS and JustSheila like this.
  11. Little David

12. Little David

I agree with Tony's official position on Williamson.

It's pretty clear, she's constitutionally incapable of being honest with herself.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  13. Mimsey Borogrove

Mimsey Borogrove Crusader

A) I did like some of the points she made in the various video interviews, such as the ones above. I think she is on good moral grounds - however:

B) While I don't know that I agree with Tony et al, (see below) I don't think she has a snowballs chance in hell of being elected. They are too cut throat and she is too naïve to pull it off. I am very enthused by her points, it adds a needed dimension to the debates and the "bottom line" mentality of today's politics, and the complete lack of compassion most politicians on both sides exhibit for the rank and file working and middle class Americans, the vast bulk of the population.

Re:
    The Underground Bunker’s official position regarding presidential candidate Marianne Williamson
    She’s an idiot.

There's more in the comments:

яовэят ёскэят ISNOINews • a day ago
    She has had to walk back a long history of Christian Sciency / Scientological statements that sickness is caused by negative thoughts and recommending spirituality instead of medicine, because it has been brought home to her how harmful that can be. But her spiritualist approach to politics is similar: I read an article in one of the magazines of the Useless Left (the branch of the left that only wants to lose while correctly criticizing everyone for being wrong) contrasting the spiritualities of my man Pete with Marianne, chiding Buttigieg for having the "scolding" kind of religion that tells people they need to take tangible actions, praising Williamson for "correctly diagnosing" the dark psychic mood that is the root of our problems (no, I'm not exaggerating what the article said). Yes, instead of doing anything good for our fellow humans, let's just send "thoughts and prayers"
    PickAnotherID яовэят ёскэят • a day ago
    Short form: She's an airhead.

madame duran ISNOINews • a day ago
    She's pro-woo. As the saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Despite one good point she raised during the debate (reparations for African-Americans), the public should be aware of her New Age spiritual background and the potential influence it would have on her decisions as president.
    Bill Maher telling her that she "sounds like Scientology" is not the same as accusing her of BEING a Scientologist. Scientology is so toxic that even fellow cult people get defensive when being compared to it. Sucks to be a clam.

MrsLurksALot • a day ago
    “The Underground Bunker’s official position regarding presidential candidate Marianne Williamson
    She’s an idiot.”
    So, how do you really feel, Tony? No, seriously, I agree 100%. She’s a real nut job. I cannot believe people are buying into her bs. But, after Trump, I am not surprised.

Once_Born MrsLurksALot • a day ago
    That's the problem. Before he was elected, President Trump was a joke on "The Simpsons". Being an idiot is no longer an impediment to a political career.

MrsLurksALot Once_Born • a day ago
    Exactly. It makes me want to bash my head against a wall....

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019