What's new

Professional Word Clearer?

Forgive me, I'm a "never-in". But I've read a lot. There are still things I don't understand.

How can someone be a "professional word clearer"? (Besides the fact that I won't call anyone a 'professional' anything who only makes $10 a week.)

Nobody can tell another scientologist what a word means, because that would be "verbal tech", right?

So if each scientologist has to study every book and lecture, and look up every MU for himself or herself, isn't every scientologist a word clearer? How can someone be a "professional" word clearer, as if that is their only function in the org?

uncover

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's easy:
The misunderstood word is cleared by the student himself, but to find the misunderstood word there are several methods in Co$ to find it. Some are even done with an E-Meter:

WORD CLEARING METHOD 1, 1. by meter in session. A full assessment of many, many subjects is done. .... 3 . the action taken to clean up all misunderstoods in every subject one has studied. It is done by a word clearing auditor. The result of a properly done Method One word clearing is the recovery of one’s education. (Aud 87ASNO) Abbr. M1 .
WORD CLEARING METHOD 2, 1. by meter in classroom. The earlier passage is read by the student while on a meter and the misunderstood word is found. Then it is fully defined by dictionary. The word is then used several times in sentences of the student’s own verbal composing. The misunderstood area is then reread until understood. (HCOB 24 Jun 71).....
WORD CLEARING METHOD 3, 1. verbal in classroom. The student says he does not understand something. The supervisor has him look earlier in the text for a misunderstood word, gets the student to look it up, use it verbally several times in sentences of his own composition, then read the text that contained it. Then come forward in the text to the area of the subject he did not understand. (HCOB 24 Jun 71).....
WORD CLEARING METHOD 4,.... 2. a method of word clearing in which a meter is used to rapidly locate any misunderstoods in a subject or section of materials. It is used in the classroom by the course supervisor. (BTB 12 Apr 72R) Abbr. M4 .
WORD CLEARING METHOD 5, a system wherein the word clearer feeds words to the person and has him define each. It is called material clearing. Those the person cannot define must be looked up. This method is the method used to clear words or auditing commands or auditing lists. (HCOB 21 Jun 72 I) Abbr. M5
WORD CLEARING METHOD 6, is called key word clearing. It is used on posts and specific subjects. The word clearer makes a list of key (or most important) words relating to the person’s duties or post or the new subject. The word clearer without showing the person the definitions, asks him to define each word. The word clearer checks the definition on his list for general correctness. Any slow or hesitancy or misdefinition is met with having the person look the word up. (HCOB 21 Jun 72 II) Abbr. M6 .
WORD CLEARING METHOD 7, whenever one is working with children or foreign-language persons or semi-literates Method 7 Reading Aloud is used. The procedure is have him read aloud. Note each omission or word change or hesitation or frown as he reads and take it up at once. Correct it by looking it up for him or explaining it to him. (HCOB 21 Jun 72 III) Abbr. M7 .
WORD CLEARING METHOD 8, is an action used in the Primary Rundown where one is studying study tech or where one is seeking a full grasp of a subject. Its end product is superliteracy. Usually an alphabetical list of every word or term in the text of a paper, a chapter or a recorded tape is available or provided. The person looks up each word on the alphabetical list and uses each in sentences until he has the meaning conceptually. (HCOB 21 Jun 72 IV) Abbr. M8 .
WORD CLEARING METHOD 9, the procedure is: (1) student or staff member reads the text out loud. He is not on the meter. (2) the word clearer has a copy of the text and reads along with the student silently. (3) if the student leaves out a word or stumbles or exhibits any physical or verbal manifestation while reading the text, the word clearer immediately asks for the misunderstood word or term and gets the meanings cleared with a dictionary and put into sentences until the word is understood and VGIs are present. (BTB 30 Jan 73RA II) Abbr. M9 .

To be allowed to do all of those methods above ("professional word clearer") it is necessary to do the:

1.) Student Hat Course
2.) Professional TR's Course
3.) The E-Meter Course
4.) The Method 1- Word Clearing Course
and a lot of other stuff....

Yes, if easy things get complicated, then it is Scientology.

pineapple

Silver Meritorious Patron
I was posted as a WC'er (word clearer) for about 4 months. I had my own little area in the courseroom with dictionaries, reference books, and of course my meter. Students came or were sent to me when they were exhibiting MU (misunderstood word) phenomena and I'd help them find and clear their misunderstood words. I did M4 and M2 WC'ing (see uncover's explanation).

When we located an MU I'd find the word in the dictionary, have the student read the definition aloud to me, use it in sentences, possibly demo it with a "demo kit," etc., until we were sure he understood it and we got an F/N (floating needle) on the meter.

Sometimes we'd find other MU's in the definitions and had to clear those first before coming back to the original definition.

At that time (mid-1970's) I had not done ANY of the 4 courses listed by uncover, but I was an HSDC (Hubbard Standard Dianetic Counselor) which was then the lowest level of professional auditor training, so it was assumed I could read a meter, etc. (I did do the Student Hat and M1 course later, but I was no longer a WC'er by then.)

While I was WC'ing I made a whopping $55/wk, affluence by scn staff standards! So I guess I did merit being called a professional by those standards.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Gold Meritorious Patron
That's easy:
The misunderstood word is cleared by the student himself, but to find the misunderstood word there are several methods in Co$ to find it. Some are even done with an E-Meter:

To be allowed to do all of those methods above ("professional word clearer") it is necessary to do the:

1.) Student Hat Course
2.) Professional TR's Course
3.) The E-Meter Course
4.) The Method 1- Word Clearing Course
and a lot of other stuff....

Yes, if easy things get complicated, then it is Scientology.
FLUNK!!!

NO!!!

It is not Scientology until simple things become impossible

pineapple

Just by the way...

Word clearing was no big thing to me but for many people it was literally life-changing
It was never any big thing to me either, but some people did claim to benefit from it. On the other hand, scngsts claim to benefit from many things that I now view with great skepticism, to put it mildly. And I wrote many "success stories" myself that I'm sure I would now find most embarrassing.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
I hope the following question will contribute to the OP, rather than derail it, but:

I'm curious as to who got anything positive out of study tech, and specifically word clearing.

For me, this is the one piece of Scientology that I continually used from the get-go (and still use, though not as fanatically as the study tech would have you do - I don't feel the need to look up all 38 definitions of a word, if I look it up in a dictionary, and never applied it as fanatically and pedantically as the materials required). It was probably the thing that made me decide that Scientology worked. Because I did experience the yawning and tiredness and blankness if I read something without looking up the MUs, and I also saw it in other people. Does anyone else think that the phenomena of an MU are real? Imagined? Or some other reason for it?

For me, it couldn't be explained by saying stuff like "people often feel bored when they read something, and they yawn as a result". I occasionally brightened up suddenly when finding MUs, but more often it was just that the yawning stopped, and I felt OK about reading whatever I was reading, after looking up the words. I then didn't feel like I was sinking into a mess while reading. Hubbard said that the brightening up occurs when you SPOT the MU (not when you look up its meaning). My experience was more like one just generally felt brighter on the subject if you LOOKED UP the words (and didn't get bogged).

I was always curious about the mechanism involved. I supposed at the time that it had something to do with it restimulating the words in implants, which would then make your memory blank and restimulate the unconsciousness of the implant. But Hubbard never really explained WHY the MU phenomena would be as they were.

Anyway, that's one area of Scientology that I always found useful. It's also, fortunately, an area that doesn't require you to get involved in the organisation, if you can get the study tech elsewhere. Demo'ing things with a demo kit, on the other hand, I found to be a little ridiculous. It turned into a ritual that one did to prevent the course supervisor from pestering you, and to generate student points.

ETA: Of course, it was also one of the pieces of tech that Hubbard took from some of his followers and put his own name to, if what I have read elsewhere is correct. I knew of some people in the 80s who did the Primary Rundown (look up EVERY word in the Student Hat course, in alphabetical order), and heard from a third party that it drove them almost nuts. Even if word clearing tech is valid, I can't imagine that looking words up in that way would be beneficial. There's nothing like CONTEXT to help a word to make sense, and to enter your vocabulary. Making up artificial sentences is no substitute for that, in my opinion.
The Primary Rundown seemed to have all but disappeared by the early 90s.

Last edited:

triumph

Elements of composition and rhetoric : with copious exercises in both criticism and construction / by Virginia Waddy.
https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007693527

Hubbard borrowed word clearing from Virginia Waddy.
been in print since the 1890s

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Composition-Rhetoric-Virginia-Waddy/dp/1246164566

there is a lot of commonality. However the significant difference, is Hubbard's hangups on misunderstood words.

with Waddy its look it up in the dictionary ,write it out, learn it and move on...

Last edited:

guanoloco

As-Wased
I hope the following question will contribute to the OP, rather than derail it, but:

I'm curious as to who got anything positive out of study tech, and specifically word clearing.

For me, this is the one piece of Scientology that I continually used from the get-go (and still use, though not as fanatically as the study tech would have you do - I don't feel the need to look up all 38 definitions of a word, if I look it up in a dictionary, and never applied it as fanatically and pedantically as the materials required). It was probably the thing that made me decide that Scientology worked. Because I did experience the yawning and tiredness and blankness if I read something without looking up the MUs, and I also saw it in other people. Does anyone else think that the phenomena of an MU are real? Imagined? Or some other reason for it?

For me, it couldn't be explained by saying stuff like "people often feel bored when they read something, and they yawn as a result". I occasionally brightened up suddenly when finding MUs, but more often it was just that the yawning stopped, and I felt OK about reading whatever I was reading, after looking up the words. I then didn't feel like I was sinking into a mess while reading. Hubbard said that the brightening up occurs when you SPOT the MU (not when you look up its meaning). My experience was more like one just generally felt brighter on the subject if you LOOKED UP the words (and didn't get bogged).

I was always curious about the mechanism involved. I supposed at the time that it had something to do with it restimulating the words in implants, which would then make your memory blank and restimulate the unconsciousness of the implant. But Hubbard never really explained WHY the MU phenomena would be as they were.

Anyway, that's one area of Scientology that I always found useful. It's also, fortunately, an area that doesn't require you to get involved in the organisation, if you can get the study tech elsewhere. Demo'ing things with a demo kit, on the other hand, I found to be a little ridiculous. It turned into a ritual that one did to prevent the course supervisor from pestering you, and to generate student points.

ETA: Of course, it was also one of the pieces of tech that Hubbard took from some of his followers and put his own name to, if what I have read elsewhere is correct. I knew of some people in the 80s who did the Primary Rundown (look up EVERY word in the Student Hat course, in alphabetical order), and heard from a third party that it drove them almost nuts. Even if word clearing tech is valid, I can't imagine that looking words up in that way would be beneficial. There's nothing like CONTEXT to help a word to make sense, and to enter your vocabulary. Making up artificial sentences is no substitute for that, in my opinion.
Absolutely, Wilbur. This stuff is 100% useful and good.

Thing is...Hubbard ripped it off from a couple who developed it and then with the various methods of word clearing and all that over complicated it.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
In common with the ethics tech, I think that the study tech worked best when left to the student to use and manage themselves. I think the over-vigilance of course supervisors looking for study phenomena often got in the way of study efficacy. I remember getting repeatedly flunked by some Sea Org Nazi for 'hesitating' when giving a definition, because I started my definition with hesitation words like "well, it means that..." or "ah, it means...". So I quickly learned to launch straight into a definition, to avoid having to re-read materials. But I found it to be ridiculous. Flunked, on occasions when I knew that I knew what the word meant (and could explain it accurately).

I preferred the approach that seemed to be taken in the earlier written materials, where an individual was expected to put their own ethics in, and was trusted to do so. Whether this approach was ever actually taken in the early days, I don't know, but that was the impression I got from the written materials from the 1950s. But there seemed to be a lot of built-in invalidation in the later approach. "Ethics is a personal thing. Now I am assigning you a condition of Treason, you out-ethics POS". To me, the whole ethos of Scientology was to trust the individual, and expect them to take responsibility. The later approach seemed to be to assume that nobody was trustworthy. I felt that a better approach would be to trust them and assume they would do the right thing. If it didn't work out, gentle persuasion might help. If that didn't work, they weren't suitable for Scientology.

pineapple

@pineapple,

Did you have a staff post as a course room word clearer before the SCN Tech Dictionary came out?
Just curious.
I think the Tech Dictionary was already out by the time I was a WC'er (in Riverside). I do remember the time before it came out, though. Those were my earliest days in scn, when I was still public. There was a Scn Abridged Dictionary. About all I remember about that is the title.

When I was WC'ing, it wasn't usually scn terms that gave people trouble, it was English words.

As an auditor, I always thought clearing every single little word in a command -- like "you," "have," "an," etc. --- was unnecessary. If you understand what an ARC break is, you understand "Do you have an ARC break?" without clearing every little word. Of course I always did it, though.

pineapple

Re the mechanism involved: Have you considered the possibility that Hubbard is planting a sort of post-hypnotic suggestion when he describes the MU phenomena? That the sensations turn on because he told you they would, and you believed him? This is a possibility I've only recently considered. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the mechanism.

I used to notice that some people were much more affected by MU phenomena than others. I've seen people go into heavy dope-off. Me, not much.

Demo kits, yeah, silly, but something you had to do.

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

The science of Word Clearing!

- - 100% of Scientologists are trained in and apply the 100% workable
word clearing technology---which prevents the MUs that cause blows.
- - However, 97.5% of Scientologists nonetheless blow.
- - By this we can scientifically conclude that word clearing technology
causes blows 97.5% of the time.
- - Furthermore, we can extrapolate the reason that 2.5% of Scientologists
remain in the cult is because they are SPs who refuse to standardly apply
Ron's study tech.

Wilbur

Patron Meritorious
Re the mechanism involved: Have you considered the possibility that Hubbard is planting a sort of post-hypnotic suggestion when he describes the MU phenomena? That the sensations turn on because he told you they would, and you believed him? This is a possibility I've only recently considered. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the mechanism.

I used to notice that some people were much more affected by MU phenomena than others. I've seen people go into heavy dope-off. Me, not much.

Demo kits, yeah, silly, but something you had to do.
Yeah, I did consider that, but rejected it as the reason, because it was very early on in the indoctrination that I learned about MUs, and I could observe it in non-Scientologists at the time. It was the fact that the MU phenomena seem to exist in non-Scientologists that made me think it was a real set of phenomena. Having said that, there are some highly literate non-Scientologists around who have read a LOT, and they seem to have managed without the study tech. Though, of course, some people use dictionaries instinctively,

Enthetan

Master of Disaster

As with lots of things in Scientology, this is something stolen from elsewhere (Hubbard stole the whole idea from a couple of educators during the Briefing Course days, plus a book from 1899)
http://www.forum.exscn.net/threads/hubbard-plagiarized-study-tech-here-is-the-proof.2015/#post-34962

Hell, I learned about the importance of using a dictionary, and was issued my own dictionary, back in grammar school.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
The big thing LRH did with "Study Tech", was to insert the assumption that the student was to "have certainty" that the Scientology material being covered was absolutely correct, and that if the student thought it made no sense, then it was the STUDENT who was at fault, rather than there being any possibility of the material being unclear or erroneous.

I told you I was trouble

Suspended animation
The big thing LRH did with "Study Tech", was to insert the assumption that the student was to "have certainty" that the Scientology material being covered was absolutely correct, and that if the student thought it made no sense, then it was the STUDENT who was at fault, rather than there being any possibility of the material being unclear or erroneous.

I always wondered how the cofs was going to explain themselves when so many of the books were being recalled and corrected about 11 years ago (very much including DMSMH which had sections in it that made no sense at all in at least one version) but as usual there was no real explanation, the excuse they gave was laughable and there was certainly no apology for wasting people's time and money, just an immediate demand that we all re-buy the whole lot and destroy the earlier incorrect ones!

:faceslap:

What really stunned me was how so many of us must have managed to convince ourselves that we had understood (ie "had certainty") when studying those shonky books (esp DMSMH) ... and how was it that when the cofs realised the books were a mess (and that they had been that way for years) they didn't want to know how/why we did that? Did that not make an instant mockery of the study tek and word clearing tek?

Answer: Yes, it did.

It was yet another one of those things that made me realise I was involved in a complete con, a mad money motivated world of PR ... and (I've mentioned this before) when the AO staff were ringing me and trying to force me to buy the new books, I flatly refused and said I didn't want them ... and they then had the nerve to send me 4 big boxes of the things without my knowledge or agreement ... Luckily I was at home when they arrived and I was able to tell the courier to kindly "return them to sender" because I was not accepting them. A staff member rang me later that week (once the books had arrived back) and said that someone had kindly donated them to me (lol!) ... so I said (and enjoyed saying) that they could now donate them to someone else ... ideally someone who actually wanted them.

JackStraw

... Luckily I was at home when they arrived and I was able to tell the courier to kindly "return them to sender" because I was not accepting them. A staff member rang me later that week (once the books had arrived back) and said that someone had kindly donated them to me (lol!) ... so I said (and enjoyed saying) that they could now donate them to someone else ... ideally someone who actually wanted them.
I arrived home one fine day to find not four but more like twelve to fifteen boxes stacked in my driveway.
Someone "kindly" donated an entire set of basic books and congresses!

I called Bridge to inform them of what must have been a mis-delivery, as I had not purchased them. "oh, no." they said someone donated them to you! yeesh!

Eventually I put all of them and my other scn materials in the back of my SUV and hied off to the town dump.

Best $16.00 ever spent on scientology!:buzzin::champagne:

Jack

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Like so many things in Scientology, the books--whether DMSMH or the entire set of "BASICS"--is a talisman.

talisman -noun: an object that is thought to have magic powers and to bring good luck.

Convincing a person to buy one of Hubbard's books is supposed to magically:

-- connect the "being" to "source"​
-- prove to them that the tech can handle their "ruin"​
-- make them reach for and become a Scientologist​

Despite the fact that the tech contained in the book has never once worked, the book can nonetheless achieve its intended results by giving "the being" fully unwarranted and false hope that all their worldly troubles can be easily, quickly and very inexpensively solved!

I know of one example where an Ideal Org gave an entire set of basics (for free) to a gay wog who was influential in the area the org was trying to operate. He told me (never suspecting that I knew more about the cult than he could ever possibly imagine) LOL.

GAY WOG
...so they gave me all these huge boxes of books,
what's up with that?!

HH
They are trying to make you into a friendly ally
and trick you into thinking they are good people, LOL.

GAY WOG
You know something I don't? LOL

HH
Yeah, a lot. Listen let me help you understand
Scientology in 20 seconds, okay?

GAY WOG
OMG, how are you going to do that?

HH
Okay, do you know how much Scientology costs to do?
Can you even make a guess?

GAY WOG
No idea. I don't know. Two thousand dollars?

HH
LOL LOL LOL

GAY WOG
Higher? Um, $5,000?

HH
LOL LOL LOL

GAY WOG
No way! LOL. $10,000?

HH
LOL LOL LOL, Keep goin' buddy. . .

GAY WOG
Okay what? $50,000?

HH
No, higher. Way higher.
$500,000

GAY WOG
WTF, are you serious?! No way.
Are you serious?

HH
Yup. And then it takes several decades
to do it. And the secret you learn at the
end is that there are aliens inside your
body that are causing all the problems.
75,000,000 year old aliens.

GAY WOG
WTF!!!! You're fucking with me right?
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
OMG, you're serious
LOL LOL LOL

HH
So how about those boxes of books?
You can't wait to study them, right?

GAY WOG
Hellllllll no, I am throwing those
out as soon as I get home!​

Well anyways, the "BASICS" books were supposed to magically convert that clueless wog to a cheerleader for Scientology. Nobody told him they would help him study the books, they were just supposed to GIVE IT TO HIM and that would solve all the problems.

Cults do really really really strange and stupid things, thinking that it will magically work.

They do this............because they are a cult.

Last edited: