Purif programme

Discussion in 'Evaluating and Criticising Scientology' started by rose10, Mar 6, 2019.

View Users: View Users
  1. rose10

rose10 Patron

Hi. Does anyone have links or knowledge about where from and why Hubbard came up with the idea of the Purif? I assume he never did it himself...I have read Adele Davis ages ago and remembered thinking he lifted a lot from there. I saw once as well he took the idea from a psychiatrist in Germany.

David Gaiman apparently had success with it in Chernobyl. But are the success stories true in the clear body clear mind book? Are they complete lies? I dont agree with the purif it made me sick but the general detox idea is good.

On cchr Mike Rinder said on the aftermath that there is a room behind the industry of death display where staff gather stories of psychiatrists getting convicted etc and lay claim to these. I wish he could have been specific as this is very relevant to alot of scientologists. Without doubt I think they do help some people get help when dealing with bullies in the industry but I would like more on the above otherwise Im relying on one man's info only.

2. ThetanExterior

ThetanExterior Gold Meritorious Patron

There is much information about the Purif on this board and elsewhere if you search for it.

As for success stories, bear in mind that scientologists MUST write a success story after every course or auditing action so they are not reliable as evidence. I have posted elsewhere on this board that I did the Purif for 21 days perfectly standardly and got absolutely no benefit from it at all yet I was made to write a success story before I could continue with the next action.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. pineapple

pineapple Silver Meritorious Patron

Drugs don't stay in the body the way Hubbard claimed. That pretty much shoots down the whole point of it.

"The longest we know that THC (the active substance in marijuana) stays in the fat is about a month. For ecstasy and LSD, we’re talking about a day or two,” said Dr. Neal Benowitz , head of clinical pharmacology at UCSF."

https://tonyortega.org/2013/06/11/precious-bodily-fluids-scientology-and-the-purification-rundown/

I consider the Purif probably the most useless action I did in scn. It made me sick, too, and I never EP'ed it. I got pulled off to do a hard TR course and never went back on it.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. ThetanExterior

David Gaiman was unlikely to claim anything else but success. He could hardly say it was a waste of time. Similarly with the Clear Body Clear Mind book. Scientologists aren't concerned about lying so long as they can promote scientology. The only way to find out if the Purif is effective is to look at independent studies done by experts and I haven't seen the medical establishment praising the Purif.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Irayam

Irayam Patron with Honors

Is it me or there is more and more posts with a similar structure:
    « Is it true that this piece of tech is producing that result? But I don’t believe that the tech is working » or a similar statement?

Edit to clarify: « the tech says this, I would like to have your opinion but I don’t believe in the tech »

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. Wilbur

Wilbur Patron Meritorious

That kind of question could be coming from a number of types of people, at different points in time. It could be a Scientology member who is tentatively exploring the idea that the tech might not be perfect. Perhaps they are in a Doubt condition, and asking the ethics or qual people questions and getting various answers. They may be coming to this board to get a different viewpoint on the same questions. Because it becomes clear very early on that the answers you get from active Scientologists CAN'T be critical of Scientology - they would be booted out of the organisation fairly quickly if they started expressing doubts about any aspect of the tech.

Or it could be a relative of a Scientologist is being told various miracle stories by their Scientology relative, as part of a good-roads-and-good-weather programme, or whilst trying to interest them in Scientology. They are doing their best to check the veracity of the claims being made.

In some cases, it could also be a bored troll.

7. Bill

Bill Gold Meritorious Patron

Any posts that are looking for validation of any of Hubbard's "tech" should know the following:
    • Hubbard's claims for any and all of his "tech" have never been investigated or validated. It is Hubbard's strict policy that any attempts to investigate or validate his claims must be rejected at all costs.
    • Prior to beginning any course or processing, the buyer is required to sign a contract agreeing that Scientology does not promise anything.
    • All those who take any course or processing are required to write a positive "success story" before completing the processing or course. The "success story" must be positive, if not glowing, or the participant will not be allowed to finish.
    • The lack of a positive "success story" usually requires that the participant buy expensive "corrective" actions until they do write positive "success stories".
    • Although all "success stories" must be positive, there never has been any evidence that any participant's results have matched Hubbard's promised results.
    • Scientology actively suppresses all negative information about their courses and processing.
    This answers any and all questions about validation of any of Hubbard's "tech". And the answer is always "look elsewhere for solutions".

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  8. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

I have a question on this topic.

Does the SCN Purification prevent a person with epilepsy from taking their prescribed medication to prevent seizures?

9. ThetanExterior

Before starting the Purif each person has to get a check-up and permission from a medical doctor to do the program. I don't know what a doctor would say if a person had epilepsy.

10. renegade

renegade Silver Meritorious Patron

For some reason, the Purif EP is getting to 5000 mg of Niacin, otherwise you are not done and will have to re-do your Purif.

One person I know has been made to do it 3 times because they did not make it to 5000 mg of Niacin. This person almost lost their eyesight and ended up in the Emergency Ward with a detached retina.

Just be careful.

11. Irayam

Correct!
    If it works then it’s not scientology.
    If it’s not working then it was written by LRH.

Irayam

12. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

The precursor to the Purif was "The Sweat Program." I did it. It was gruesome. I think the HCOB describing it was called "Years after they came off LSD". The diet was basically protein powder and 6 pieces of fruit, and one ran around outside for an hour or more in a rubber sweat suit (we started out wearing plastic garbage bags).

Paul

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  13. DagwoodGum

DagwoodGum Squirreling Dervish

Scientology kills!
    Had they added large amounts of psyllium powder or some other fiber the purif might have worked rather than just stirring up toxins and reabsorbing them elsewhere for the same reasons they were absorbed in the first place. The digestive system is the most powerful transport system for toxin elimination if properly equipped with enough fiber to bind with the toxic overload and carry it out. Sweating certainly leaks some of it out but with open pores all around it from the heat lots of it reabsorbs. You could of course assist the process by continuously blotting it all up with a cotton towel but you'd have to constantly re-hydrate as well as take potassium salts & mineral replacement supplements.
    Glutamine supplementation would have been crucial as well.
    Glutamine trasnport system

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  14. phenomanon

phenomanon Canyon

When I did the Purif in 1980 or 81 in LA, there was no check-up or permission from a medical doctor to do the program.

15. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Even if a doctor's approval was required my guess is that they would prefer to have people, especially staff, use a Scientology approved alternative practitioner who had more relaxed methods, shall we say. I also doubt that doctors giving such approval are adequately informed about what the program fully entails and all it's risks.

I don't know if they still swig all blend oil but I always thought that was pretty iffy.

Here you see dedicated Sea Org members on the original Sweat Program paving the way for what would later become the Purification Rundown ...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • List
  16. pineapple

pineapple Silver Meritorious Patron

Nor when I did it in Hawaii, a little earlier than that.

17. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Yup, I did mine wearing plastic garbage bags. Finished it before they upgraded to rubber sweat suits. We drank Cal mag then as part of it, too, and took the megavitamins and a lot of vegetable oil. :puke: My stomach and intestines were constantly in turmoil. Horrible. One hour running and FIVE HOURS in the sauna. Of course people had delusional visions.

No medical checkup back then, either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  18. Veda

Veda Sponsor

The Purification RD is the more marketable re-make of the original sweat program, which required everyone who had taken LSD to wear rubber suits and run around sweating out the "LSD crystals."

As far as I know, the first mention of LSD, by Hubbard, was in the 'Professional Auditors Bulletin' of 30 September 1955:

"I could tell you about long strings of psychotics run in on the Foundation and the Association, sent in to us by psychiatrists who then, using LSD and pain-drug-hypnosis, spun them and told everyone that Dianetics and Scientology drove people insane. I could tell you about the strange politics and ambitions of psychiatry, so well covered in the book Psychopolitics [Note: 'Psychopolitics', a.k.a. 'The Brainwashing Manual', was Hubbard's hoax "Russian textbook," which he had just secretly authored and had not yet been published.], and give you a proper riddle as to why we, a small group, the only ANGLO-SAXON DEVELOPMENT IN THE FIELD OF THE MIND AND SPIRIT [Capitalization in original.], have been subjected to so much attack and finance... But I am not telling you stories or being dramatic. I am inviting your cooperation in your own future security..."

As for dealing with those whose behavior became erratic or an embarrassment after Scientology processing, Hubbard wrote, in the same 'PAB':

"You'll find the family physician or psychiatrist was called in midway in processing... You'll find there is a vested interest somewhere in the insanity of the person. An so testify that you suspect it. We will have on hand lots of literature on LSD..."

Sixteen years later, Hubbard would write a similar policy, although this one doesn't mention LSD and is more to the point. It has the simple title 'Confidential', and is dated 29 June 1971:

"Policy is that we assign any case or upset in Scientology to past damage and interference with the person by medicine or psychiatry. They were sent into us after medicine or psychiatry had already destroyed them. We cannot be blamed for psychiatric or medical failures."

__________​

During 1977 the Sweat Program was introduced.

During February 1977, came the HCOB 'Jokers and Degraders', followed by the March 1977 HCOB, 'The Gambler'

[​IMG],
    Here's a rare photo of LRH doing research into gambling.

HCOB 'LSD, Years after they have come off of', of May 1977, announced the "Sweat program."

The formal "Sweat program" was further described in the HCOB 'LSD and the Sweat program' of February 1978.

From the May 1977 'LSD, Years after they have come off of' (two months before the July 1977 FBI raids):

"Apparently they have become some sort of vegetable or zombie to a greater or lesser degree.."

To place this in historical context, it had only been one year earlier, from his temporary residence in Washington DC, in April 1976, that Hubbard personally oversaw part 2 of the (1972) 'Operation Dynamite' - then renamed 'Operation Freak Out' - covert Operation to "terminately handle" author Paulette Cooper, by having her set up/framed and, "sent to prison or a mental institution." It didn't matter that Cooper's book was, by then, out of print, 'Operation Dynamite' had come so close to "working," that Hubbard couldn't resist a second try.

That's what Hubbard was thinking about at the time (along with the other covert Ops he was supervising), that, and LSD having made people - often the most productive and creative people in Scientology - into "vegetables or zombies to a greater or lesser degree."

Eventually, the "Sweat Program" became the more marketable "Purification Rundown," with the "Purif" meant for everyone.

Remember the hype for the Purif? "Only Scientologists who've done the Purif will survive World War III."

It was promoted along with the book, 'All About Radiation', which was "written by a nuclear physicist and a medical doctor," with Hubbard being the nuclear physicist.

Dr. Hubbard explains to the Scientologists that, as an officer in the United States Navy, he had been asked several times to work on the secret Manhattan Project to build an atomic bomb,
    and that he had refused and, as punishment for his refusal, had, each time, been sent into a dangerous combat theater in the Japanese infested Pacific.

The book 'All About Radiation' was first published in 1957.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "L. Ron Hubbard, one of America's first nuclear physicists."

__________​

'Cowboy' is a former Commodore's Messenger: a former child-servant for "Commodore" Hubbard. From 'Cowboy's ESMB post of 22 July 2012:

"...Hubbard developed the Purification RD based on unsound medical principals, that result in deaths. He felt he knew the body, medicine, etc. There was no such thing as research. The principles had to be true, because he was espousing them and he... was Hubbard!

"The purif started with a heavy set individual who was to be an expert in an area in which Hubbard was pushing for outside experts to be recruited. So, a recruiter found him and recruited him to work at SU. [Special Unit] The only trouble was he had a history of drug abuse. Hubbard decided to make him burn his fat and release past stored drugs with heavy exercise. He donned a plastic exercise suit and ran through the heat of the desert of La Quinta. Hubbard developed other principles that became the Purif RD.

The only trouble was, the old man wasn't a doc. The principles of the purif weren't all sound and were physically dangerous. We see the results of that now in the deaths..."

19. TheOriginalBigBlue

TheOriginalBigBlue Gold Meritorious Patron

Both Flag and Big Blue had staff saunas before the R ordered Purif all-staff pilot program was initiated around November/December of 1979 but the one at Big Blue was too small for the staff pilot so a larger one was built in the basement where ASHO PC folders were kept. It was very crude, using plywood, but they cleverly tapped into the existing steam pipes that ran along the basement ceiling and over an existing drain so it could be frequently hosed down. All the different org's Qual Divisions were to have a Purif In-Charge who could check for anemia and do heart checks (whatever that meant) and they were to have access to outside medical doctors as needed.

20. Irayam

The doctor who checked me and all the other persons at my org was a dedicated scientologist when I started the purif. So I doubt that he would have told to somebody to not start the purif...

Irayam

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019