What's new

Quick question: on PDH

jodie

Patron with Honors
Hi,

This question got buried in a thread not too many people are likely to look at, so am extracting it out and repeating it here in the hopes someone can help out:

What date did Hubbard first refer to the PDH (Pain-drugs-hypnosis) technique? A reference to the lecture or bulletin where he made the first mention would be appreciated.

I need this for some research I am doing.

- jodie

jodie

Patron with Honors
Hi,

This question got buried in a thread not too many people are likely to look at, so am extracting it out and repeating it here in the hopes someone can help out:

What date did Hubbard first refer to the PDH (Pain-drugs-hypnosis) technique? A reference to the lecture or bulletin where he made the first mention would be appreciated.

I need this for some research I am doing.

- jodie

Haha, found it, answered my own question, and found a whole lot more besides. Thank god for the internet. :)

- jodie

T

TheSneakster

not important

Last edited by a moderator:

jodie

Patron with Honors
Yes. It was Science of Survival, published 1951, page 223. (Div6 gets the prize).

Relevant quote:

"There is another form of hypnotism ... This form of hypnotism has been a carefully guarded secret of certain military and intelligence organizations. It is a vicious war weapon and may be of considerably more use in conquering a society than the atom bomb. This is no exaggeration. The extensiveness of the use of this form of hypnotism in espionage work is so wide today that it is long past the time when people should have become alarmed about it. It required dianetic processing to uncover pain-drug-hypnosis. Otherwise, pain-drug-hypnosis was out of sight, unsuspected, and unknown."

Now, I am trying to unravel it.

1. We have Hubbard's Brainwashing Manual. Dated 1955.

2. We have another Manual referred to in Dominic Streatfield's book (2006: Brainwash; the secret history of mind control), which claims PDH was developed by the KGB. Relevant quote: page 24-25:

"The public was further alarmed in 1955 by the worldwide distribution of Brainwashing: a synthesis of the Communist textbook on psycho-politics. The booklet, which purported to be a translation of a secret speech given by KGB chief Lavrenti Beria in Moscow, detailed Soviet plans for the deployment of the new weapon. It advocated the use of severe interrogation techniques including drugs, torture and "pain-drug-hypnosis" [emphasis mine] which were capable of inducing anything from confessions to sexual perversions in the subject. With the right psychological techniques, said Beria, families could be broken up, interrogation victims driven insane and the careers of politicians wrecked."

3. Then we have the Scientologists claiming PDH was used by the CIA:
http://faq.scientology.org/brnwshng.htm :
"Then, too, L. Ron Hubbard was one of the first to discover and expose actual mind control and brainwashing experimentation conducted by United States military and intelligence agencies during and after World War II. He called these techniques "pain-drug-hypnosis." (no date).

It is a lovely web to untangle, keeping me quite occupied. :)

- jodie

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
Yes. It was Science of Survival, published 1951, page 223. (Div6 gets the prize).

Relevant quote:

"There is another form of hypnotism ... This form of hypnotism has been a carefully guarded secret of certain military and intelligence organizations. It is a vicious war weapon and may be of considerably more use in conquering a society than the atom bomb. This is no exaggeration. The extensiveness of the use of this form of hypnotism in espionage work is so wide today that it is long past the time when people should have become alarmed about it. It required dianetic processing to uncover pain-drug-hypnosis. Otherwise, pain-drug-hypnosis was out of sight, unsuspected, and unknown."

Now, I am trying to unravel it.

1. We have Hubbard's Brainwashing Manual. Dated 1955.

2. We have another Manual referred to in Dominic Streatfield's book (2006: Brainwash; the secret history of mind control), which claims PDH was developed by the KGB. Relevant quote: page 24-25:

"The public was further alarmed in 1955 by the worldwide distribution of Brainwashing: a synthesis of the Communist textbook on psycho-politics. The booklet, which purported to be a translation of a secret speech given by KGB chief Lavrenti Beria in Moscow, detailed Soviet plans for the deployment of the new weapon. It advocated the use of severe interrogation techniques including drugs, torture and "pain-drug-hypnosis" [emphasis mine] which were capable of inducing anything from confessions to sexual perversions in the subject. With the right psychological techniques, said Beria, families could be broken up, interrogation victims driven insane and the careers of politicians wrecked."

3. Then we have the Scientologists claiming PDH was used by the CIA:
http://faq.scientology.org/brnwshng.htm :
"Then, too, L. Ron Hubbard was one of the first to discover and expose actual mind control and brainwashing experimentation conducted by United States military and intelligence agencies during and after World War II. He called these techniques "pain-drug-hypnosis." (no date).

It is a lovely web to untangle, keeping me quite occupied. :)

- jodie

Re. "PDH":

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=54751&postcount=46

Hubbard's pattern was to mix fact with fantasy, all in the direction of obtaining some desired result that served his purposes.

He told people that his 2nd wife, Sara, was leaving him "because she was PDHed by the Communists," etc. Later, in Scientology, when someone would behave oddly, or become "critical" of Hubbard, a handy excuse, presented by Hubbard, was "He/she had been PDHed."

This sometimes backfired, as Scientologists really did believe Hubbard, and at one point began checking each other on their e-meters to see if they'd been "PDHed." Inevitably, this area, already filled with tension by way of Hubbard's hype and manipulation, would "read' on the meter, and entire Scientology Orgs were becoming disrupted by segments of their staff thinking they'd been "PDHed." Hubbard intervened, as his "PDH"-angle was becoming - then - counterproductive (it was being over-used), and wrote (1960) that it was merely the word "pain" that was making the meter react. Later (1963), Hubbard would calm the e-meter agitated Scientologists with the explanation that it was Space opera Implants that were making the meter react.

The idea of "PDH" was still used by Hubbard/Scientology, but in a way that forwarded ("tech is in"), not disrupted ("tech is out"), the mental healing-coated personality cult called Scientology.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
I believe the legendary Ken Ogger believed he'd been PDH'd. Then again, the official story that he decided to swim with cinderblocks attached to his feet still strikes me as absurd, so maybe he was.

jodie

Patron with Honors
Re. "PDH":

http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=54751&postcount=46

Hubbard's pattern was to mix fact with fantasy, all in the direction of obtaining some desired result that served his purposes.

He told people that his 2nd wife, Sara, was leaving him "because she was PDHed by the Communists," etc. Later, in Scientology, when someone would behave oddly, or become "critical" of Hubbard, a handy excuse, presented by Hubbard, was "He/she had been PDHed."

This sometimes backfired, as Scientologists really did believe Hubbard, and at one point began checking each other on their e-meters to see if they'd been "PDHed." Inevitably, this area, already filled with tension by way of Hubbard's hype and manipulation, would "read' on the meter, and entire Scientology Orgs were becoming disrupted by segments of their staff thinking they'd been "PDHed." Hubbard intervened, as his "PDH"-angle was becoming - then - counterproductive (it was being over-used), and wrote (1960) that it was merely the word "pain" that was making the meter react. Later (1963), Hubbard would calm the e-meter agitated Scientologists with the explanation that it was Space opera Implants that were making the meter react.

The idea of "PDH" was still used by Hubbard/Scientology, but in a way that forwarded ("tech is in"), not disrupted ("tech is out"), the mental healing-coated personality cult called Scientology.

Again, thanks very much for your input, it is really helpful. What I am trying to get to is: did the Soviets first come up with the idea, and then Hubbard somehow came by it and ripped it off as his own discovery? Did the CIA create a legend (and the idea) in order to black PR the Soviets, and Hubbard came by it and ripped it off as his own? Or did Hubbard himself first invent the idea? (The latter is the least likely).

This is an incredibly murky field to delve into, it is riddled with disinformation on both sides (I am not even looking yet at Hubbards insertion of himself into it, I am trying to delve through old de-classified materials of those times. Seriously weird territory).

Thanks again, for your very helpful input.

- jodie

jodie

Patron with Honors
I believe the legendary Ken Ogger believed he'd been PDH'd. Then again, the official story that he decided to swim with cinderblocks attached to his feet still strikes me as absurd, so maybe he was.

Oh, don't even go there. That whole thing was seriously weird as well. Ken said he had been PDH'd in 2000. Long before he was found dead in his pool, in 2007. His last posts detailed his experiences of the psychic attacks on him through the years. The manner of his death has not been satisfactorily explained, despite the official reports. I have no evidence to base my conclusions on, just a very deep gut feel that something is very, very wrong with that picture.

- jodie

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
Oh, don't even go there. That whole thing was seriously weird as well. Ken said he had been PDH'd in 2000. Long before he was found dead in his pool, in 2007. His last posts detailed his experiences of the psychic attacks on him through the years. The manner of his death has not been satisfactorily explained, despite the official reports. I have no evidence to base my conclusions on, just a very deep gut feel that something is very, very wrong with that picture.

- jodie

I know someone who had been in the SAS and had a lot of problems after Vietnam. He died a few years ago, I can't remember if it was suicide or not, but there were many heads shook with clucking of "He'd been PDH'd you know...". Very bloody sad.

ExScnDude

Patron with Honors
Does anyone know of an actual PDH that occurred to a staff member?

I'm not talking about something detected on a PDH check either. 99.9 percent of that madness was pure dub-in.

I'd be interested in hearing a real example - needle marks with unaccounted for time - a blood test proving they'd been drugged etc....

Is this really more of LRH's insanity - maybe after watching The Manchurian Candidate?

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Does anyone know of an actual PDH that occurred to a staff member?

I'm not talking about something detected on a PDH check either. 99.9 percent of that madness was pure dub-in.

I'd be interested in hearing a real example - needle marks with unaccounted for time - a blood test proving they'd been drugged etc....

Is this really more of LRH's insanity - maybe after watching The Manchurian Candidate?

It seems to me that PDH was an almost perfect LRH justification.

Anyone acting counter to his activities could be ascribed this life implants that they were unaware of. Therefore they couldn't refute LRH's charge that they were PDHed because the PDH was set up to be undetected by the person who, unknowingly had been PDHed in such a way that they would automatically refute LRH actions. without being aware that the reason for their opposition to Hubbard was an unknown PDH incident that had been implanted in them in such a way that they wouldn't be aware that they had been PDHed to oppose LRH's command intention, which was being opposed by those who PDH'ed Scientologists and Dianeticists in order to thwart LRH's actions by implanted this-life commands that the person was unaware of due to the nature of PDH! :melodramatic:

The only solution for people to this mind-spin was to assign a Suppressed PDH incident to explain the charge LRH had created in them over their disagreements with him. This charge then showed as a read on the meter to questions about PDH. Hence the theory was validated, that any opposition to LRH was due to being PDHed by his enemies.

This also was the almost perfect justification for LRH that his enemies were attacking him covertly by PDHing his slaves and turning them against him.

Of course there was an element of unreality about all this, in that he had many followers who built up disagreements to him and it became unbelievable that they had all been PDHed by Hubbard's enemies. So he came up with a more plausable explanation than PDH - whole-track implants! perfect! Physically unverifiable, but encased in mystery and must-audit evaluations, causing the meter to read on them. Perfect.

Now Hubbard had extended his op-term game from this life to the endless trillenia. A much more believable evaluation to his slaves than PDH. So PDH faded away from newer tech issues and was replaced by the mystery sandwich of the confidential levels.

ExScnDude

Patron with Honors
It seems to me that PDH was an almost perfect LRH justification.

...snip...

Now Hubbard had extended his op-term game from this life to the endless trillenia. A much more believable evaluation to his slaves than PDH. So PDH faded away from newer tech issues and was replaced by the mystery sandwich of the confidential levels.

I agree completely.

L. Ron Hubbard - Paranoid Psychotic