ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Featured Riverside Mission

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by programmer_guy, Jan 14, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. HCObringOrder?

HCObringOrder? Silver Meritorious Patron

Wow, I re-read that thread and now I have some faces for the names again.

Difficult to remember some things at times.
    The gun story to come..

2. programmer_guy

programmer_guy True Ex-Scientologist

Dave Grenier had told me about someone pulling a knife out and threatening the EO, who was Chuck at that time, but I never heard anything about guns.

BTW, Dave said to me that Chuck had it coming with the way that he treated people.

3. HCObringOrder?

The gun story - Riverside Mission Saga

First, I wish to down play this a bit.
    Because the story was told to me, and as such is hearsay, but knowing the person involved, I did not doubt it.

Some back ground.
    Nadia was a pretty Norwegian blond between 18 and 20 at the time with normal proportions for her age and female stature.
    She was married to a young man like herself, but she was the definite strength of the couple.
    I sometimes thought that her smaller stature hid a person who thought she was much larger.

They started in the Communications Course under Debbie Butler and Susie Strickland.
    I do not remember for sure, but I think Nadia joined staff first and her husband waited for a little while.
    Nadia was posted as the Comm Course Administrator.
    This was while I was on the Comm Course myself.

When I completed the Comm Course, Sue and Debbie good cop / bad cop regged me for staff and I ended up replacing Nadia as the Comm Course Admin.
    The first day, Nadia slammed me (yelling with full intention) for something I did or did not do.
    This set my relationship with her as an enemy to be avoided when ever possible, and from then on I only spoke to her if I had to.
    Nadia was going to be an auditor :)omg: ) so she needed me to take her position and she was not going to have anyone stand in her way.
    (Mr. Rogers voice) Can you say ANGER ISSUES? I knew you could.

Suffice to say Nadia did not work out as an auditor and via an ethics route ended up in Div 6.
    She bounced around at different positions and ethics sessions over the next 6 or so months (maybe a year).
    Her husband at first seemed to grow and be happy but later became sullen and withdrawn.
    He was an ethics officer (Sea Org Master At Arms) after his first shot at being an auditor.

The next major incident was when there was an event in Los Angeles.
    The Mission had 2 or three full size vans and the few cars that staff owned.
    I was in one of the vans, and Nadia was our driver for the return trip.
    We were packed into the van sitting on top of each other.
    The event was good and we were a happy group climbing back into the van at about 11pm.
    I think that one of Nadia's friends was driving another of the vans.
    As soon as we got on the freeway Nadia accelerated to 85 miles per hour (140 KPH?).
    Back then, California had a "Basic Speed Law" which was an Autobahn type of law, where you could go as fast as conditions allowed if the cops did not disagree.
    A few of us in the van started a discussion and soon after Nadia sped up to 100mph.
    I and a couple of others objected with her, asking her to slow down or pull over.
    I thinks she was racing the other van, but I do not remember for sure.
    She reacted by flooring the gas pedal.
    I think someone said it was 120 mph.
    We were being jostled in the seats and I was afraid that the van would loose traction, so I moved off the seat to the floor between the middle seat and the side door to brace myself.
    The others in the back, behind the rear seat, and those without seat belts were bumped around as the van took curves and made lane changes.
    At this time of night back then, the trip would have taken about an hour an a half to an hour and 45 minutes.
    We made it back in close to an hour of terror, bumps, bruises and giddy laughter.
    Nadia was elated that we had come home so fast and thought that we should all thank her for the speedy return.
    She was upset that we did not.
    She was also clueless as to why she was sent to ethics the next day.

After she completed her ethics program for that, she was put one of the body routing teams (or returned, I am not sure).
    There were 5 or 6 teams of 4 or 5 body routers who went our 2 times a day to the surrounding cities and locations around Riverside to bring in the public to the Introductory Lecture (starring Joe Yazbeck) where they would be signed up for the Comm Course or for auditing.
    We also had the Bent Corydon PTS/SP course which was labeled the Way to Happiness course taken from LRH lectures and earlier documents.
    This was also as popular as the Comm Course and became an additional way that the public would tend to stay on lines.
    So Nadia kept her nose clean for a month or more and was producing good stats when one day the atmosphere went sour.
    I was on reception, and the phone calls started coming in from Nadia's team.
    The team returned early, and everyone was bouncing off the walls in a negative way.
    Nadia was body routed by 2 guys on her team, one on each arm, down to ethics.
    Bobby Mongiello came flying down from his office upstairs, down to ethics.
    Sue Ammons, Bent's Admin also went down there for a little bit.
    Then the whispers came and the yelling and screaming could be heard from the Gymnasium area.
    Nadia had pulled a gun on a WOG in San Bernardino!

The questions came.
    Why did she have a gun?
    What was the gun?
    Did anyone on her team know she had it?
    The WOG reported it to the police?
    Why did she pull it on a WOG?

Some of the answers I heard:
    She had shown it to one of her team who told her to put it back in her purse and never bring it again.
    She was cocky that day and needed a couple of bodies to get her stats up.
    She was alone with the WOG at the time, but her buddy was half a block or so away (maybe out of sight?).
    The WOG reported it to the police who came to investigate but she had stashed the gun.
    The WOG was a homeless type.

It was reported in the news papers and caused a huge PR flap.
    I think that it precipitated the G.O. investigation of the Riverside Mission where all the 190 plus staff were Sec Checked.
    It also may have been a starter for the SMI era.
    Read Bent's book for his take on that time period.

Nadia was labeled PTS/SP and placed on a very long ethics cycle that included some high auditing point before she could return to staff or Scientology.
    I heard later that she was a drug user before the Comm Course and her husband wanted her sober.
    I also heard later that she was seen high on drugs by one of the body routers.

Fortunately Bent had standards.
    People could yell, but the physical threat or actual physical abuse was not tolerated or encouraged.
    Much different than other areas of Scientology at that time or NOW.

Shawn

4. programmer_guy

Wow! You report one helluva crazy ordeal on the freeway!

When I was there Rene Walker was the reg for the Comm Course (for people that had heard the Intro lecture delivered by Joe.)

If this is the Sue that I remember (worked directly for Bent), she was married to a guy named Paul.
    Sue would not have been there to get involved but only to report info back to Bent. Sort-of like Bent's communicator.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  5. HCObringOrder?

Sue was married to Barney Ammons, a former EMT ambulance driver.
    Barney was a very good person to me, as was Sue.
    They were my favorite people there.

6. programmer_guy

The "line up" certainly changed after I left.

The only "Sue" that I knew, that worked directly for Bent, was married to Paul but I don't remember their last name. In my time there, there were two music bands - Paul played lead guitar in one and I played lead guitar in the other.

BTW, there were two ambulance drivers that were on the Comm Course when I was supervising that course (under Deb Butler). The name "Barney" does ring a bell with me but that is all.

7. programmer_guy

Please explain. I'd luv to read what you have to say.:D

8. HCObringOrder?

Yes, Sweetness, your turn?
    :drama:

9. I'm all for women's empowerment, but...

Wow, was she out of control! Even for really kinda out of control times back then...Nothing much to add, guys...Thanks so much for telling that story. I remember the place as being kind of wild and free at times, or in some ways, with some of the more colorful people, I guess. (Exploding gas bag, etc.) :thumbsup: I will take the story with a grain of salt, given that part of it is passed on, not personal experience. What a loose cannon she was!

There was a period of time when I was gone for about a year (school in another state), and when I got back my parents were really adamant that I should not go back to the Mission, basically stay away from it as it was not a safe environment. They wouldn't say much more than that. (Not my experience of it at all.) You say there was black pr and a flap about this, which made the local papers. I know some of my Dad's co-workers had kids more or less my age going there, so he maybe got an earfull from his friends, as well as newspaper reports. I guess this explains it.

I'll try and backtrack my timelines with the timeframe of the event. I always wondered why they were so suddenly really opposed to my having anything to do with "hanging out" there anymore. It wasn't Scientology as a subject, o.k. to read and study it, whatever. ( I had very liberal and freethinking parents.) It had to do with the people at the Mission. Huh, a little missing piece of the parental puzzle might just have fallen into place.

Glad nobody actually got shot (on post or off), and the wild ride in the van didn't wipe out a big swath of the staff in one fell swoop! (I remember when the freeways were empty enough that you could drive that fast on them coming from L.A.) Amazing, the things we survive in our youth! :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  10. The Clam

The Clam Patron with Honors

LOL I remember the Gun incident I was in Div 6 at the time. Some guy gave Nadia some shit and she pulled a gun on him. Hey her stats where down so she used a little 8C to get a product. Nothing wrong with that after all she was out to clear the planet. I think the org moved her to Div 4 to audit the R38.

11. HCObringOrder?

I missed reading this carefully.
    So Debbie is an Ex and separate from her children?
    :confused2:

12. skollie

skollie Silver Meritorious Patron

Nope - Debbie is not an ex but public and is not separated from her children. The oldest boy got married a year or two ago.

13. HCObringOrder?

Oh, I get it.
    Thank you.
    So maybe Billy Bud is an Ex, maybe?
    Declared for what reason?
    Stepping on DM because he did not notice shorty?

Hey Bill, I still appreciate what you tried to do for me.
    You may not remember.
    :yes:

14. HCObringOrder?

So Debbie is having problems with her children being declared PTS/SP for having a declared father.
    Perhaps the best thing for them?

I would guess that Debbie is on one of the OT Committees?

:D

15. programmer_guy

16. skollie

skollie Silver Meritorious Patron

17. Rmack

Rmack Van Allen Belt Sunbather

Hehe, the exploding plastic bag full of stove gas wasn't the only peccadillo I participated in.

While I was lifting weights and exercising to get ready for my first real rock climb, The janitor Eric and I rigged up a top rope belay and climbed up the side of the building for practice. A few times.

I remember one time while I was the security guard, some of the guys came into the building in the middle of the night and stole a safe they had brought in earlier. Just to make me wrong, I guess. I mean, I was only one guy in that whole building. No gear, no backup, nada. Just stay up all night watching the place, call the cops if it hits the fan.

I spent most of my time between hourly patrols reading in the excellent occult library which I think was Bent's.

I once got paid $5 dollars for the week. The most was 50 bucks. Once.

They sure want value for their security money, huh?

18. programmer_guy

Rmack,

I remember Eric. Whatever happened with him? Did he finally blow staff?