What's new

Riverside Mission

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
No worries Rmack, the past can't hurt us unless we let it! I'm actually enjoying hearing about everything that I missed at the time! (Some rather hair-raising adventures, I'll bet most other Missions of the time were sedate in comparison.) No wonder I liked hanging out there! I always liked a good adventure!

It was a lot of fun around there sometimes, wasn't it? Definitely the best time I had involved with the cult.

Yep, that was me! I'm quite sure that you and I were the rat transport and rat tickler in question, unless I started a trend with some of the other girls there. The reason I petted the back part of Pinky was because I was afraid of the bitey front end! I was quite giggly back then, so would have been making a ruckus. It has been a VERY long time...I'm amazed I remember any of this. I thought you were very cool back then, with so much responsability, sorry to hear the job really sucked!

This is amazing, remembering this minutia, huh?

The pay is what sucked, the job was actually pretty easy, and allowed me to do much studying from non cult literature in Bent's extensive occult library.

Yes, I can picture Eric as he was then, and it must have been he who took me for my first rock climb. (I later went on to do a lot of mountaineering in the Rockies and the Sierras, Outward Bound survival training, climbed in Yosemite, etc, so it took!) Thank you, wherever you are! It was a small group of us who climbed on Mt. Rubidoux, mostly guys with maybe a couple of girls, 'cause we shared gear and ropes, so maybe you were there too. I was indulged and tolerated by many back then, being younger, and not seriously buying into Scientology training. I don't think anybody back then ever made a dime off me, but I sure could raise people's tone! Probably why I was allowed to hang around. I've always lived a charmed life.

No, I didn't climb Mt Rubberdux, but I heard about it.

I did three routes on 'Taquitz Rock' by Idylwild (officially known as 'Lily Rock'); The Slot, Fingertip Traverse, and Angel's Fright. The last one got me to thinking 'what the fuck am I doing up here????' as I hung by my fingernails a thousand feet up on lead.

Then we got stuck repelling down, and had to untwist the rope for a while, resulting in us walking down the mountain in absolute pitch darkness with no lights.

Ah, to be young, dumb, and full of come again!

I got into back packing quite extensively, as it made my wife worry a lot less, and I could bring my dog.

We were all playing various mind games and experimenting back then with discovering our "powers". I think it's cool we get to reconnect via ESMB. Seems like a whole lifetime away, doesn't it?

I'm so glad Rmack, that you got out and went on to live a great, full life!

I did! Immediately after my year and a half in the S.O. which disabused me of the cult pretty good, I read Bent's book, and that freed me.

I didn't do much rock climbing after that, just a few short routes in Joshua Tree. I got into hang gliding between Riverside and the S.O. at Pac, and when I got back from Flag, I bought a new hang glider. Doing turns in a thermal a few dozen feet from a mountain will 'clear' your mind of any other thoughts but the task at hand better than any process I've come across yet!

I've been happily married for 26 years now. Unlike what Laffy claimed, I did have a second wife, after the first one in the S.O. wanted to play musical beds after six months. Most ethical group on the planet? Puhleeeze!:roflmao:

Last edited:

HCObringOrder?

Silver Meritorious Patron
Mission Inn has a church/chapel up on the second level (as I remember it) which is fairly large in length, but a bit narrow.
Sue and Barney had a reception in the restaurant.

Eric was not so clean shaven when I first met him, but he shaved and stayed that way from then on.
I think his processing or something improved his speach.
Perhaps he became more confident.
When I first met him he had a definate slurring stutter, but a year later he had improved a great deal.
I was not very good at holding a conversation, so I never talked to Eric a lot.
I liked him like I liked most of the staff.

I miss the feeling of the group sometimes.
But I knew that I was not really accepted there also.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Mission Inn has a church/chapel up on the second level (as I remember it) which is fairly large in length, but a bit narrow.
Sue and Barney had a reception in the restaurant.

Eric was not so clean shaven when I first met him, but he shaved and stayed that way from then on.
I think his processing or something improved his speach.
Perhaps he became more confident.
When I first met him he had a definate slurring stutter, but a year later he had improved a great deal.
I was not very good at holding a conversation, so I never talked to Eric a lot.
I liked him like I liked most of the staff.

I miss the feeling of the group sometimes.
But I knew that I was not really accepted there also.

Let me tell you something about Mr. Eric B. If I was on a rope on a mountain in a serious situation, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have belaying me.

He might have stuttered in casual conversations, but he knew what to do on the mountain.

Eric was a great climber, I trusted him too!

Let me tell you something about Mr. Eric B. If I was on a rope on a mountain in a serious situation, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have belaying me.

He might have stuttered in casual conversations, but he knew what to do on the mountain.

Yes, I agree completely, I trusted him with my life on more than one occasion. He was a very good teacher for me. Set my feet on a path I followed for years! :) I hope he's all right, wherever he is. I really hope he's out of the church.

I hiked and climbed Lily Rock too. (Actually taught in Idyllwild twice, once teaching art at Desert Sun Academy, living in a meadow one summer there (what a nature child!) and once for DOD teaching ROTC and JROTC Life Skills and Leadership Training at Idyllwild Institute Fiesta.)

Did lots of hikes and reaches, a couple traverses, but baby, I never did Angel's Fright! :bowdown: :woohoo: I would have loved to, but living in the wrong body, too short, not a long enough reach. I loved chimneying, bouldering and free climbs best. I always had WAY too much physical courage. But great memories of adventures!

This was a GREAT side benefit of my exposure to Scientology, thanks to the atmosphere Bent and Mary created and the people they gathered around them. Some really great people were there.

HCObringOrder?

I like to repel, but have only done it on a small training cliff using a Swiss Seat.
I think I have that in my stuff some where, but I would not know how to tie it any more.

But alas, I have not rope.
:no:

Maybe Santa will bring you some? :coolwink:

Info for Jonathon or George Lawton: (in case anybody is in touch or they are lurking here)
On September 26th at Gilman Ranch in Banning, there will be a seminar on the legend of Willie Boy, cost is $20 in advance, rsvp by Sept. 21st to (951) 955-4310. Panel discussion by various authors/historians, tour of ranchouse, concluding with showing of the film based on your Dad's book starring Robert Redford and Robert Blake.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Maybe Santa will bring you some? :coolwink:

Info for Jonathon or George Lawton: (in case anybody is in touch or they are lurking here)
On September 26th at Gilman Ranch in Banning, there will be a seminar on the legend of Willie Boy, cost is $20 in advance, rsvp by Sept. 21st to (951) 955-4310. Panel discussion by various authors/historians, tour of ranchouse, concluding with showing of the film based on your Dad's book starring Robert Redford and Robert Blake.

links, pics, or gtfo

From 8-24-09 Press Enterprise newspaper article, may be listed on their online version. Does that help? Sponsored by Riverside County Regional Park and Open Space District.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Rmack,

That last time I checked, the gated road entry to Mount Rubidoux was closed and locked. I used to go up there from time-to-time.

On the West side of that small mountain is Flaybob airport, where my Dad flew me in to college, after weekend visits, a couple of times.

I can't imagine someone wanting to climb that little mountain. Ha.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Rmack,

That last time I checked, the gated road entry to Mount Rubidoux was closed and locked. I used to go up there from time-to-time.

On the West side of that small mountain is Flaybob airport, where my Dad flew me in to college, after weekend visits, a couple of times.

I can't imagine someone wanting to climb that little mountain. Ha.

Isn't there some kind of small rock face around there somewhere? I never been, just heard about it.

HCObringOrder?

Isn't there some kind of small rock face around there somewhere? I never been, just heard about it.

Mount Rubidoux, The little Mount that could.

I and some friends walked up the South side the evening before Easter Sunday so that we could freeze in some sleeping bags and get up at dawn for the morning service.
Like 73.
Not sure if any of it is the same any more, but there was what seemed a nice face above where we slept.
A little west of the cross as I recall.

Up for an Inland gathering?

Greetings to all former Riverside Mission folks, Ex's, Critics, Indies, Anons, Etc.

Bent's building is 100 years old this year, and I want to talk him into giving us a tour and holding a bit of a reunion/gathering in Riverside, for any interested area Ex's, Anons, Indies, etc. , to celebrate the centennial, and just get in touch with each other.

P.M. me if you're interested.

Also there is some local so Cal Anon interest in raiding INT for Halloween, anybody want to go in costume or masked, and hold a sign with a message for all the travellers that use state hwy 79? Frolic afterwards...P.M. me, and I'll put you in contact.

Happy Halloween everybody! :nervous:

Riverside Mission Building Centennial is here!

Here's a link to the Riverside Press Enterprise story about Bent's building, now called the Life Arts building, the old site of the Riverside Mission (see photo earlier on this thread).

The celebration is Thursday, November 5th, which is also Arts Walk in downtown Riverside (a ton of fun!). It also happens to be Guy Fawkes Day, for all you Anon mask lovers...

I'm sure if you bring your copy of Bent's book, he will sign it for you!

The building is really cool, home to City gym in the south basement, Division 9 Art Gallery in the north basement, and the Tequihua Foundation in the west basement, plus a ballroom and meeting spaces, and lots of lovely and funky little art studios, with art, music and creative expression galore.

Come and enjoy the fun!

More about a planned "reunion" gathering later... :)

http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_W_wymca30.4739115.html

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Here's a link to the Riverside Press Enterprise story about Bent's building, now called the Life Arts building, the old site of the Riverside Mission (see photo earlier on this thread).

The celebration is Thursday, November 5th, which is also Arts Walk in downtown Riverside (a ton of fun!). It also happens to be Guy Fawkes Day, for all you Anon mask lovers...

I'm sure if you bring your copy of Bent's book, he will sign it for you!

The building is really cool, home to City gym in the south basement, Division 9 Art Gallery in the north basement, and the Tequihua Foundation in the west basement, plus a ballroom and meeting spaces, and lots of lovely and funky little art studios, with art, music and creative expression galore.

Come and enjoy the fun!

More about a planned "reunion" gathering later... :)

http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_W_wymca30.4739115.html

Thanks for the invitation but that is during the normal Monday-Friday work week. I would have to take a day off to attend. (Usually, I could do that.)

That is next week and I have to work on the final stages of an important software release during that week and the following week. Damn!

I'll see what I can do... no promises.

Also, PM me and tell me who might be there. I'm curious.

HCObringOrder?

Wow, wish that I had earlier information on this.
I would love to celebrate Bent's building with him.

It would be fun to walk the halls with PG, Rmack and Sweetie.
Maybe some fun watching the Scientology dicks try to get trash.

Tell Bent congratulations.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Wow, wish that I had earlier information on this.
I would love to celebrate Bent's building with him.

It would be fun to walk the halls with PG, Rmack and Sweetie.
Maybe some fun watching the Scientology dicks try to get trash.

Tell Bent congratulations.

Well, as a former staffer, if we did walk over the whole building I could tell you what I remember and where I was and what we did and who I knew.

However, I think that only 3 or 4 people would be there for this. A lot of the former staff moved to northern California to be in other missions in the aftermath of the Mission Holder's Conference that destroyed (IMO) the huge Riverside Mission.

Examples:
1. Some went to the Buenaventura mission (e.g. Jim Hamre and Tom&Cathy Steiner).

2. Marty Prince is now in Orange County and, apparently, still a loyal follower of LRH... so I don't think that HE would care to visit the old Riverside Mission with us exe's.

3. I have no idea where Rich West is or whether he would be interested.

4. I have no idea where Darcy is or whether she would be interested.

And there are so many others that I could name that I believe have moved out of the Riverside area.

Actually, D-Rad (former OCMB poster) and I had already visited that building together about 3 years ago and walked through the businesses in the basement.
It was like walking through "memory lane".

Regards

Centennial Celebration Dinner was GREAT!

Hey Guys, I can report on the Life Arts Building Centennial Celebration later on at length, and post pics, when I am at a more secure linkage.. It was really wonderful!

The Ex-Scientologist, Critic, Anon contingent was well represented, wined and dined, and during the speeches, Bent acknowledged us for fighting the good fight against injustice (anonymously of course) to great applause from the audience! How cool was that...Scientology has a NOTORIOUSLY BAD NAME here. Well deserved!

I have a surprise souvenier up for grabs as a fundraiser for ESMB, more about that later.

The building and Bent both look great! :thumbsup:

Last edited: