What's new

Scientology angry over German film & wants it blocked

pittny12

Patron with Honors
Scientology angry over German film BERLIN
March 13, 2010

Germany's state broadcaster is locked in a row with the Church of Scientology, which wants to block an upcoming feature film that depicts the controversial organisation as totalitarian and unethical.

Bis Nichts Mehr Bleibt, or Until Nothing Remains, dramatises the account of a German family torn apart by its associations with Scientology. A young married couple joins the organisation but as the wife gets sucked ever more deeply into the group, her husband, who has donated much of his money to it, decides to leave. In the process he loses contact with his young daughter, who, like his wife, is being educated by Scientology instructors.

Scientology leaders have accused Germany's primary public TV network, ARD, of creating a piece of propaganda that sets out to undermine the group, and have demanded to see it before it is broadcast.

The 90-minute film reflects an unease in Germany about the organisation, which boasts several thousand members across the country.

The drama, due to air at the end of the month, is based on the real-life story of Heiner von Roenns, who left Scientology and suffered the subsequent break-up of his family.

Scientology officials have said the film is false and intolerant. At a preview screening in Hamburg, members distributed flyers in which the filmmakers were accused of seeking to ''create a mood of intolerance and discrimination against a religious community''.

A spokesman for Scientology in Germany said the organisation was planning its own film, to ''spread our own side of the story''.

Feral

Rogue male
After my 26 years of experience in Scientology I would have to say "Until Nothing Remains" is the perfect title for a film about the cult.

Outethicsofficer

Silver Meritorious Patron
Good to see the ground swell of information coming out on the church is increasing, this is great the inches of media against the church must be exceeding the inches pro the church.

Go Germany.

James

Kathy (ImOut)

Gold Meritorious Patron
You gotta wonder how the CofS would spin the opposite of the German film to reflect "our own side of the story".

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
You gotta wonder how the CofS would spin the opposite of the German film to reflect "our own side of the story".
Well, let me see...

The film is called "Bis Nichts Mehr Bleibt" (Until Nothing Remains) so obviously the CofS version would have to be called,
"Bis Niemand Bleibst" (Until Nobody Remained).

(I'm sure the German speakers here can tidy that up for me.)

pittny12

Patron with Honors
Well, let me see...

The film is called "Bis Nichts Mehr Bleibt" (Until Nothing Remains) so obviously the CofS version would have to be called,

:roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: GOOD ONE, Panda!

Purple Rain

Crusader
The plot thickens ...

Well the father will obviously be a psychopathic paedophile who likes to indulge in arson, fraud and torturing small animals in his spare time. He will have absolutely no redeeming features. The church's quest to save the hapless mother and child and 'rescue' their possessions will be a tale of intrigue, mystery and high drama. The high point will be when the father is successfully driven to bankruptcy and suicide in the final scene and the little girl steps into the loving embrace of her new Sea Org guardians.

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Made me laugh Panda! :hysterical:

How is it the whiny scientology gets to throw a hissy fit about every counter scientology communication that surfaces and fight to cut it, and often wins, when it does the things it does! Just how do they do it!! Force and money and blackmail. I hope that film airs!!!!

Seriously, a counter movie of their own. That is funny.

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
After my 26 years of experience in Scientology I would have to say "Until Nothing Remains" is the perfect title for a film about the cult.

Maybe scientology should be renamed to Nothintology. Or the science of how to achieve the state of nothing.

Hatshepsut

Crusader
I'd heard from Antony, the editor and chief of ivy on the wall magazine that he needed to take precautions to be very safe in his communications. He said being from the US I probably could not appreciate how careful one has to be over there in Denmark about openly advocating any Scientology processing. I wonder if Ralph Hilton finds it very strained in Austria.

Krautfag

Patron Meritorious
Well, let me see...

Glad to be of assistance..

Until nobody remained = Bis niemand mehr blieb

tho it would be funnier in German to say "Bis keiner mehr da war" (until no one was left) ;)

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
Thanks, Krautfag, I originally had "Bis Niemand Mehr Blieb" but it looked wrong somehow.
What I meant by that is, of course, "Bis keiner mehr da war". :)

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Here's more info from the film from a new article:

"The movie tells the story of a young couple, Gine and Frank Reiner, who are brought into the religion through the manipulative tactics of Scientology recruiters. Eventually, the husband decides to leave the group, losing not only his wife in the process, but also his young child and a big portion of his family's inheritance, which his wife has donated to the church. Bergengruen says the film is loosely based on the real-life experiences of a German man named Heiner von Rönn, a one-time member of the organization. He says the filmmakers conducted exhaustive research in order to portray the religion as realistically as possible, including interviewing various former Scientology members and even going undercover to find out more about how the group works. "

Read more:
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1974924,00.html

R6Basic

Patron Meritorious
Well the father will obviously be a psychopathic paedophile who likes to indulge in arson, fraud and torturing small animals in his spare time. He will have absolutely no redeeming features. The church's quest to save the hapless mother and child and 'rescue' their possessions will be a tale of intrigue, mystery and high drama. The high point will be when the father is successfully driven to bankruptcy and suicide in the final scene and the little girl steps into the loving embrace of her new Sea Org guardians.

Very good idea Rain, we need to send this to DM right away.

skydog

Patron Meritorious

It would start out with some unfortunate soul in utter ruin who, by chance, happens upon a clam booth and takes the personality test. He/she then joins the happy clams and his/her life then becomes a kind of "pinch me" saga. Actually, they should probably think of a TV series and each week, our hero must overcome another obstacle to tame the bridge to nowhere. I can't wait.:drama:

xseaorguk

Patron Meritorious
translation of title

I would translate the film title more as:

"Until there is nothing left..."

Dont know if anybody has suggested that one

Ackerland

Patron with Honors
I have always translated the title with:
"Until nothing is left"
Don't know how that sounds to a native Englishman.