ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Scientology explained

Discussion in 'General Scientology Discussion' started by Leon-2, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Balthasar

Balthasar Patron Meritorious

C'mon Bill, nearly everybody posting here is diving into fallacies, illogics etc, me not excluded. It's actually quite funny! You should try it out :yes:

2. Bill

Bill Gold Meritorious Patron

:omg:
    Check it out! If Fear is allowed to decrease, Obedience and Guilt will decrease. Raise Guilt, for instance, and Fear and Obedience increase.

It works! You are the new L. Ron Hubbard!

3. ILove2Lurk

ILove2Lurk Lisbeth Salander

. . .
    Phil Spickler was working with Ron at Washington, DC Org in the 60's, if I'm remembering correctly.

I think I heard Phil on one of his videos mention something about the real reason that LRH developed ethics and rolled it out hard in the mid-60's. I thought Phil said that Ron was disappointed in the behavior of the Clearing Course Clears at the time. Disappointed with how they turned out.

Various ethics materials and techniques were developed to reign them in and get them to fly right, to be the "Clear product" . . . being the auditing tech didn't complete them quite as Ron had expected. I think this is an important point in the whole history of the whys and wherefores of tech development, if you will.

:hmm: :shrug:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  4. Lermanet_com

Lermanet_com Gold Meritorious Patron

Am I correct in 'dating' the 'ethics' stuff's arrival to spring 1966?

5. Bill

Bill Gold Meritorious Patron

Yay! A new one for this thread!
    • Bandwagon Using the fact that many people do something as an attempted form of validation.

6. Cat's Squirrel

Cat's Squirrel Gold Meritorious Patron

People form judgments about others' ability to communicate all the time, so I should think that if someone learns to communicate better, it would be obvious to others. Self-worth? If it was a big difference, I think people close to the person would be able to notice it.

7. Claire Swazey

Claire Swazey Spokeshole, fence sitter

Phil spoke at the most recent FZ conference, which the wonderhusband attended (I didn't go). Said husband dude was quite impressed with the talk.

8. Adam7986

Adam7986 Declared SP

They certainly could be if the person's religious beliefs encourage them to be courageous, or to enjoy a particular kind of music. There are plenty of people who have been inspired to sing or play music because of religious beliefs and in that case their passion could be considered religious.

9. Adam7986

Adam7986 Declared SP

That isn't actually how religion works at all. I am pragmatically agnostic myself, and I claim no religious beliefs at all, but there are plenty of religious people in my life and when they were cured of cancer they thanked the doctor and the clinical researchers and everyone that helped them, as well as God. Rather than thanking God instead of everyone else.

10. Adam7986

Adam7986 Declared SP

More on depression. Getting them to talk about their problems is probably up there with one of the worst things you can do to someone who is suffering from depression. They are not depressed because of their problems. They are depressed because they suffer from depression. Making them think about things that are upsetting (i.e. their problems) is an awful thing to do.

11. give my regards to the spouse claire...

12. WOW!!!

the FOG triangle...

EXCELLENT!!!

good work, this one's a keeper HH...

13. Operating DB

Operating DB Truman Show Dropout

Ahem! It's Hell Ruin Hoaxard!

That name cracks me up in the most delightful way!

14. Claire Swazey

Claire Swazey Spokeshole, fence sitter

Re: ignore tech explained

Never saw thrashing. An still able to sit down.

15. JustSheila

JustSheila Crusader

Cat, I see your point and wanted to wait to really give you a well-thought response.

We who left Scientology weren't just leaving FROM, we were leaving TO something better.

Almost everyone believes they are superior to someone else in some way. It seems to be human nature. Even those with cerebral palsy or disabilities, if they have any self-confidence at all, still consider themselves better. They may think of themselves as kinder, purer, more compassionate, closer to God, but still - they see themselves as better.

True humility is difficult. There is the fake kind, and then there is the sincere kind.

True humility opens our hearts and minds to change, because by seeing our own flaws honestly and accepting ourselves, we can better accept others, love ourselves better and love them better, too - and the whole world opens up and unfolds in a beautiful, refreshing way.

When we choose instead to label those who disagree with us as "unenlightened", "suppressive persons", etc., vanity wins over humility and we grow further away from our goodness, our light, our true being.

Vanity and arrogance are childish and selfish. They close the doors to growth and spirituality. Scientology is all about vanity and arrogance. My wins are better than your wins. I am more powerful, etc., etc.

I've had amazing things happen in my life that I would put right up there in the miracle band - and they were all witnessed by one or sometimes several people. My close friends know. I am no stranger to the spiritual aspect of things. But these things are private and personal and I know, hard as I try, I will never interpret these events correctly. I also know it is childishly arrogant to believe I personally caused them - as childishly arrogant as the days when people believed the sun and universe revolved around earth.

These days I am humbled. Each of us found our own humility the day we left Scientology and by finding that, found love and life.

Sincere humility might be the most important part of waking up from Scientology.

16. truly...

humility is not understood to be a virtue in CoS

nor is arrogance understood to be a vice

17. Cat's Squirrel

Cat's Squirrel Gold Meritorious Patron

True, and for me, it's the very core of what is wrong with the subject.

18. there's a chance what's wrong with the core of the subject might be worse than that CS...

19. George Layton

George Layton Silver Meritorious Patron

Ok what about this analogy: A fellow goes through the CCH's and he finds that he has gained a greater awareness of the self and this awareness changes his perception of the world around him, making him more aware of that also. This fellow goes on to learn the mechanics of the process and finds that in teaching it, if his student is attentive and diligent in every command through the process, following every command with attention fixed on to the end result, the student has a very similar life changing awareness gain. But a second student does not follow attentively every command the teacher gives, the student's attention wanders off as some of the teacher's commands are ignored in the process, and the second student doesn't have the life changing awareness gain. Was it because the second student did not follow each command the teacher gave through the process or was it because process does not work?

20. no process works

a hammer doesn't work but a carpenter does