ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Scn Orientation Film

Discussion in 'Scientology-related Videos' started by Tanstaafl, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Crusader

2. Dulloldfart

Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

Looks like the same one I saw, although I didn't watch more than the first two minutes this time. No doubt some of the famous quotes from it will get wider coverage soon from those "Anon" folk. Like the bit at the end about blowing your brains out with a gun being better than walking away from Scn.

Hee-hee. :)

Paul

3. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Crusader

My observations on this:-

Did a KTL graduate write this script? E.g.:

"We have done this film..."
    "The org is usually a friendly place."
    "Scn... a bright piece of hope."

It's incredibly cheesy. I thought some of these tv evangelists hammed it up but the folk on this film make it look like the mere mention of the word LRH would provoke an orgasm or an episode of spiritual ecstasy. Anyone unfamiliar with Scn but who has heard the phrase Rondroids/Ronbots will cognite on watching this.

Psychologists and Psychs are labelled "criminals".

"...Most important, their are church services every Sunday." Yeah, right! :yes:

"Your donations are tax deductible". True, in the US. But are they editing that out for foreign orgs?

Was that Bob Keenan I saw in the video testimonials in his firefighter's outfit leaning on a fire engine? I'm pretty sure he was in the SO when this was made.

These next two quotes have been discussed before but are worth repeating.
    Did the "scriptwriters" have any idea how fanatical this shit sounds?

Regarding your next trillion years: "You will live it in shivering agonised darkness or you will live it triumphantly in the light".

"If you leave this room after seeing this film and walk out and never mention Scn again, you are perfectly free to do so; it would be stupid but you can do it" (Notice - ungrammatical statement) "You can also dive off a bridge and blow your brains out. That is your choice." :ohmy:

I have no doubt that this "orientation" film would deter any right-minded person from looking further into the CoS, other than to oppose it.

4. Dulloldfart

It must have been qualled by DM. It is straight KSW fanaticism. How could anyone bound by KSW argue against it? (Not joking here.)

Paul

5. Alanzo

Alanzo Bardo Tulpa

I remember when it first came out. I had just spent 5 years working in a mission in the midwest, and had moved to LA and wanted to FSM.

So I saw the film from the viewpoint of sending in selectees to see it.

I thought, "No way I am going to allow them to show that film to anyone I bring in."

They COULD NOT have produced even one start off of that film. Unless the person was totally insane.

6. Div6

Div6 Crusader

This was the first "product" out of Gold after the IRS win. It convinced me that DM was cutting the dissem lines (as SP's do) for his own reasons. Perhaps the Govt takeover was complete...

7. Lulu Belle

Lulu Belle Moonbat

I agree.

But I had the same reaction to every intro film I ever saw in Scientology.

I dont' even remember them all, but they were all totally cringe-worthy.

There was the one about the "Birth of Dianetics" (that I remember nothing about, except that it was cheesy).

There was the one with all the fire. (What was that?)

There was that godawful one: "The Problems of Life" or something? The one that had the guy and girl walking around asking people some stupid question about how to solve the problem of life. The one that had that ridiculous "Psychiatrist" doing a lobotomy or something.

(Can't wait until some of those hit the internet... :D )

8. Dulloldfart

Man the Unfathomable? The first film in history shot without artificial light, so we were told.

That's a good set-up line for a joke along the lines of the first film in history ______; but I couldn't think of anything particularly funny.

What is funny is I tried searching for it on Google and found a link to a CofS site, but the site seemed to be down....

(It did come up after a while, but was slow loading.)

Paul

9. pomfritz

pomfritz Patron with Honors

Absolutely, I had to try and convince myself these were good films. After all LRH had written them so I or course something is wrong with me to not appreciate their humor, subtle and not so subtle messages. But really I just always harbored these feelings that the films were poorly scripted and acted. Also that the message in the film and how things were supposed to be shown as correct/incorrect were so overexagerrated that you really didn't learn anything that valuable from it. Just another blatant example of how egocentric Hubbard was to think he had any talent in this area when he did not and of course no one is going to say otherwise to him.

10. nozeno

nozeno Gold Meritorious Patron

Your comment reminds me of a time in the early 70's when we were getting a fair amount of communication from above (or wherever he was hiding) about how ron had mastered photography and he was the best there ever was. There was a magazine published around that time...I want to say it was Advance or something like that. The point is that lrh did all of the photos for the cover and the impression I got, was that we were supposed to be in awe of the quality of these photos. I always thought they were cheesy and very creepy in appearance. Of course being a good little staff member I just thought I didn't get it because I wasn't high enough on the grade chart.

11. johnAnchovie

johnAnchovie Still raging

Hello Tanstaff

Just thought I would fill you in on Bob Keenan, he is the LRH PPRO UK, and holds considerable power in the UK - as of June 2006 anyhow.

12. lionheart

lionheart Gold Meritorious Patron

Scn films were always cheesy and embarrasing.

I remember the first ones that came out from LRH's direction "The Secret of Flag Results" "The case he couldn't crack" and there were those excrutiating scenes of the stupid pop/rock group. You had to show them and people didn't know whether to laugh or take them seriously.

Probably didn't get shown after 82 because of all the SPs in them!

Earlier than that we used to have to occasionally show old LRH films from the 50's/60's. He looked like a dodgy used car salesman with a shiny suit and a cheesy smile. Anyone remember I think it was "a day at St Hill" where it ends with him at the keyboard saying "take it away Reg" and he manically thumps the keyboard. Somehow it reminded me of a comic parady of Asimov's "Mule".

You used to sit through them or an old Clearing Congress film and there would be a sort of bemused, embarrased silence for a few seconds at the end of them! :roflmao:

Ron had no idea of aesthetics or persuasive PR, but he thought he was an expert at them!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  13. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Crusader

Thanks for that JA. Bob seemed to be a no-nonsense kind of guy. Who else, when questioned by the press on how celebrities like Travolta are treated when visiting Saint Hill, would reply: "Well, we don't run round after them like Chinese lackeys." :)

14. Dulloldfart

Didn't he play "When the saints go marching in"? I remember that film.

I like the old CC films where his TA is up at 5.5 or so with a virtually stuck needle and he explains it away. :)

Paul

15. lionheart

lionheart Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes that's what he played.

LRH could explain away anything.

I remember when we used to listen to old LRH auditing sessions to show "superlative auditing presence". There was one where is was supposed to be cleaning a PC's needle and Ron rabbited on and on at the PC with double acks and cutting her comm and the needle wouldnlt clean! Then after maybe 20 minutes of fishing and failing to clean the needle he started explaining loudly to the PC why her needle wasn't clean and bludgeoned her into agreeing and then he triumphantly announced her needle was now clean! :hysterical:

16. Zinjifar

Zinjifar Silver Meritorious Sponsor

Sounds like a card-trick-magician; 'pick a card; any card', then 'Here's your card! It isn't? Sure it is! This *is* your card dammit!'

Zinj

17. Div6

Div6 Crusader

Man, I 'd like to get those into Torrent syndication....