ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at

Featured scooterstory

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by scooter, Nov 15, 2008.

  1. scooter

    scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

    Thanks mate but I think a punching bag with certain faces on it would've been more therapeutic :coolwink:

    Actually just going through the diaries and writing all this down is engrossing and therapeutic at the same time - I've done virtually nothing else all day today.

    Here's the next bit:

    I had to share a desk in Qual with the Day Qual Sec. The problem was this guy was a pig and left his mess everywhere in that office and his auditing room. So I would stuff his papers etc into the desk drawers every night when I got in. But they soon got full and he never touched them again. So I put a poster across the bookcase behind the desk and began to wedge all his crud in there every night. He bitched loudly and took it all out again. I put it back in the next night and on it went. I was told to stop antagonizing him but he wasn’t cleaning up after himself, so I was left with a messy area that I couldn’t control. And he locked his room in the HGC so I couldn’t just dump his stuff in there either.

    He foolishly left his keys behind one night so I grabbed some clay from the staff/intern courseroom and took an impression of the key then put them back. I took it home and managed to find an old key I could cut down to fit the impression I had. It took a bit of time filing it down to size but I got it to a point that I felt it would work. I took it back to the org and it worked – it opened his door with a bit of wriggling. I spent the next week dumping his crud in his room without him knowing how it was done – it was heaven. Eventually he twigged and changed the lock, but by then I’d gotten rid of the crap from my area. One of the Day auditors even brought in his camera to take photos of it to attach to an ethics report – he felt the mess in the room was so bad. I was just happy that I didn’t have to handle it anymore.

    I found myself having to take over the KTL/LOC C/Sing as the C/S kept flubbing and needed cramming badly. He ended up being sent to the AO for handling and all of a sudden I was a working C/S in addition to all the other jobs I was doing. I was seen by one of the senior execs about taking on this post full-time (while doing everything else I was doing) so the C/S could go for Class VIII training. At the same time the Qual Sec was being used as a course sup and another senior exec (with the help of her CLO senior) was trying to get me to audit full-time in the HGC. It was truly nuts, especially as I would occasionally get given ethics for not doing my supposed job.

    There were more and more things coming down from RTC that had to be done. At first it would be just one thing like an e-meter drill that we’d all have to do to perfection but it slowly became more intrusive. Now I was being chased for various targets to be done and then compliance reports had to be written and you had to have proof that you’d done this thing somehow – it was nuts. So one would get someone else to attest that they’d watched y do a drill to perfection and a photo of you doing this drill plus something else all to prove to someone somewhere else that you’d actually done what you’d said you’d done. And there were several senior execs whose job it was to get these external programs done and they would be around hounding those of us who were doing actual work to try to get us to “comply” with these various programs from various almighty entities somewhere further up the food chain close to God.

    And then there were the internal programs of the org with targets like (this is a direct quote) “Acting Qual Sec (me) to handle backlogged crams by getting Qual Sec (my senior) back into Qual.” How the hell do you do that? If I didn’t have my post diary with this stuff actually written down as it happened I probably wouldn’t believe it either. My disgruntlement was reaching an all-time high. I even had someone try to get me to stop going to the toilet for a pee one night so that I would do an exam on a student he’d just brought up from the academy. I threw something at him – unfortunately I missed.

    I had been working with the Senior C/S every night to get him through the KTL. We’d go to roll-call and then quietly wander off to the courseroom and do fifteen-twenty minutes together getting him through the theory. We were going at snail’s pace but we’d managed to do a hell of a lot. And as we both considered musters to be all bullshit and we’d rather be doing real work, it was good therapy for both of us. Unfortunately the exec structure didn’t see it that way. As we were the senior Tech guys it was deemed we weren’t setting a good example. We actually got a chit one night for not being at muster (even tho’ we’d been there at the start,) along with everyone who was late except for the ED, who turned up very late. It was so nutty it was laughable.

    So the Senior C/S HAD to be twinned with someone else so a public was found and then of course they needed a course sup so I had to miss muster to be the sup and so it continued. So the upshot of it all was that the Senior C/S and myself were off post for longer every night now as his twin was a lot slower than I was.

    The other side of this was that on weekend mornings there was often NO senior execs there and I’d be there invariably as I’d turn up early and clean usually. Then run down the stairs for roll-call and I’d stay if there were no execs, otherwise I’d scamper away quietly at the first opportunity. As I usually was auditing CLO crew as well as the org’s staff and public, I was usually able to get away with this as the CLO guys loved me looking after them. I usually had at least one CLO exec on my auditing line-up at any given time and I did a good job on them as well. I got hit occasionally but usually got off lightly because of my “production record.”

    It hit an all-time low in July ’94 when I had a “meeting” late at night with the Tech Sec, ED, Org Officer, Training and Services Aide from CLO etc. to get me to audit in the HGC because I had no interns on the internship at the time who could audit. I ended up agreeing to take on an HGC PC for Grades – a guy in the army who would have long periods away from Sydney so it wasn’t a regular gig so to speak. I left nearly an hour late that night and was ill and couldn’t come in the next night. In the meantime, I kept auditing staff and CLO crew as they appeared. I sometimes wonder if those execs ever had nightmares about me and how little respect they actually got from me, since I never felt they earned any.

    Not long after this, a new schedule was implemented where the foundation staff got one day a weekend off but worked until 11 on the other day plus every week night. It was like heaven to actually have a day away from the org every week without having to ask for it. I chose Sundays and spent the day going for long rides on my bicycle or something else equally fun. It may not have “raised production” directly but it certainly raise staff morale considerably.

    I went back onto OT III at the end of ’94 and was somehow fitting in solo sessions in my own time while doing everything else. Not long after I started, an eval came out on the org that had me doing my solo on post time as a “why” for some downstats. I’d also began auditing a Day auditor on her Grades late afternoons too but that was never mentioned, nor the amount of times I waited at the AO for Syd F OT staff to appear so I could audit them only to have them continually not show and me get to post late. It was getting crazier and crazier. The only thing keeping me going was the steady progress I was making on my own training. I’d just accepted that post would be crazy so I didn’t fight it too hard any more.
  2. I told you I was trouble

    I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

    Phew ....

    I keep reading your story and feeling this weird feeling deep inside ...

    I think its a combination of horror (at the insanity of it all) relief (thank gawd its over) and amusement (I hated muster too scooter ... with a vengeance!)

    :runaway: Muster was usually such a total downer, that someone would usually have to run 'havingness' on us all to er .. get us 'uptone' and then screech 'START' ...

    Very motivating.

    It (havingness) never ever made me feel better ... LOL.


    Amazing story ... I do hope your diaries are in a safe place.
  3. sallydannce

    sallydannce Gold Meritorious Patron

    Wow! Thanks Scooter!

    You are doing a terrific job telling your story!

    The tension building is phenomenal. You are conveying the reality of what it was like so smoothly.

  4. Opter

    Opter Silver Meritorious Patron

    Thank you Scooter for the latest installments.

    The insanities of the the supposedly sanest group on this planet is beyond words.:eyeroll:

    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
  5. Wisened One

    Wisened One Crusader

    I'm really enjoying your story too, Scoots, Keep typin! :drama:

    And that part about when ya'll also had to NOT LOOK when TC was touring....:eyeroll: Geeeez. They made us do that too, at the Nashville Mission Grand Opening, lol! Soooo STUPID! Makes ya feel like you'll turn to stone if ya dare get a glance at the stupid celebs! No WONDER why they love being a Celebrityologist so much, huh?

    Wonder if they even KNOW they are ordered not to ever be looked at (well, actually it probably gives 'em relief, huh? :eyeroll: )

    I'm surprised I wasn't whisked away from DM's presence when he was just a foot in front of me! :p

    But I digress...KEEP going!! :drama:
  6. FoTi

    FoTi Crusader

    Wow! Scooter, this is an incredible story. I'm so glad you kept that diary and that you are posting your story here. :thankyou:

    As a public Scientologist, one never sees all this insanity that goes on with the staff - out of public view. It's been a real eye opener for me. It's totally nuts and I'm so glad to see it put up here for all to read about.

    I really admire you for putting the truth here. Thanks again.


    I'm really looking forward to more of your story. :drama: :drama:
  7. scooter

    scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

    A revised segment

    Hi folks. I found two diaries recently from 1986 and 1987 so I've revised the sections that those diaries covered. They are certainly more accurate than my memories of events now over twenty years old. Here's the revised bits - you'll have read some of it already but there's new bits mixed in too. Hope you like it.:D

    It was around this time that the Academy had had one of its periodic “crashes” and I was pulled into a small room with the executives for a “severe reality adjustment.” These consisted of bullying, accusations of sabotage, yelling and screaming etc etc until one was suitably contrite that one had dared to “crash” the stats and was now willing to fix it all up by doing a whole lot of extra work in the org in one’s own time and then humiliatingly take a write-up of all of this around to each staff member asking if it were now OK to be a member of the group again. If senior executives decided you hadn’t done enough, then you had to do more extra work. Until they were satisfied. As they were all women in our org, I dubbed them the “petticoat mafia” – humour was the only refuge I had from them.

    This particular time an OT who’d trained at Flag grabbed me and said “You’ve got four PC folders and you haven’t attested to Clear and you ought to really think about that” and then left. Basically saying that I didn’t make gains from auditing so obviously I must be Suppressive as most people at that time were attesting to Clear within one or two folders’ worth of auditing. The other executives sitting there just looked on - to them, right now I was just a piece of dogshit that they had to clean up so that I’d function for them again. From that point on, my contempt for these people was such I swore I’d never help them again unless forced to. I’d still work, I’d still do my bit for the planet but I wouldn’t (to use a good Aussie expression) cross the road to piss on them if they were on fire. Sadly I didn’t stick to this.

    This insanity continued for months. Should the courseroom have down-stats one night, I would have the executives descend on me after course hours and demand that I work out how I was going to handle the stats. Of course, all the students had gone home yet I was expected to come up with some plan that allowed them to tell their seniors in CLO that the Academy was “under control.”

    These handlings consisted of the usual and then they’d wait for me to do whatever while they literally sat and gossiped a major part of their time. Then I would get blamed for holding them up. Having staff start studying at 10:30 at night was an acceptable solution for this, as far as these people thought. It got the stats up and that’s all they cared about. I hated them as a group. I never understood how someone could do so little actual work yet demand that their juniors did. But it was actually part of the system and how they’d been trained to work. My only solution was to either get out of the org before they arrived or to hide somewhere until they stopped looking for me, then sneak out and go home. I was constantly hit with how out-ethics I was and I was becoming convinced I was just an evil bastard trying to make my seniors look bad and stop the planet from being Cleared.

    The only joy I got in these dark days was trying to get home before midnight if possible and go for long runs with my dog down the local swamp. I could get no auditing but I did manage to continue with my training, as it was perfectly acceptable that I make up the supposed damage to the statistics that I’d done by studying myself at odd hours and counting the points as Academy stats. I had no chance of ever having a relationship even with someone in the org. My life was a nightmare governed by whether the stats were up or down. I stayed back weekend nights just to catch up on my job and seldom saw my family, even though I was living with my parents. I decided I’d just wait out this contract and then get a life outside of staff.

    I found some more cleaning work for a while which meant that I caught a ferry across the harbour every morning to work and then back again later. It was heaven – watching the dolphins or the occasional albatross follow the ferry as we ploughed across the entrance to Sydney Harbour. My boss wasn’t a Scientologist and liked me so much he began expanding his business so that he could get me more work. I ended up with several large apartment blocks that I cleaned the common areas of and did some gardening as well. I was earning enough to get by on despite the org.

    But I got talked into working for a Scientologist who fixed roofs for a living – the pay was much better and he promised me a lot of work. He had a few other staff working for him so I quit the cleaning and gardening, much to my boss’s disappointment and went to work on the roofs. And found out that my new boss was a criminal who was mercilessly ripping off his customers. He bragged to me one day after I started working for him that he used to knock on doors and get old people to pay him $600 to rust-proof their metal roofs then he’d go buy a roller and a tin of paint for around $40, paint the roof and collect the money and go. He even left the roller and empty paint tin on the roof as “they couldn’t see it from the ground.” For many years after I kept finding people who had been ripped off with their roof repairs and their description matched him – he provided quite a bit of work but also made people very wary about roofers in general.

    His wife worked for the Department of Special Affairs in the org and he helped out there too. He was also incredibly stupid – he left a radio blaring on someone’s roof one Friday afternoon and never went back for it. The customer rang up on the Monday after suffering the whole weekend of a ghetto blaster on their chimney annoying them (and undoubtedly the neighbours as well.) Another time he left a roof not covered properly and we had to go there in the middle of the night one night to try to save the customer’s house from a typical Sydney deluge. I ended up re-painting the ceiling for them as the rain had gotten in and ruined it. Somehow he had it as their fault for not letting him know earlier about it. Not surprisingly he kept running out of work anyway so I needed to find something else.

    Another Scientologist had just returned from a long time in LA and was starting up his own roofing business. He didn’t have much work for me but he was honest and we already had been friends from when he was an auditor in Syd F when I was first on staff. So I went to work for him. It paid well and I was out in the sun all day (which I loved.) I never seemed to get enough sleep but I had money and was able to buy a car again! It was only an ancient station wagon but it meant I could drive to work or even drive out of Sydney possibly looking for birds or orchids. My parents were a bit less apprehensive about me now that I actually had money in my pocket and could afford to buy things most other people already owned.

    Life in the academy had begun to get easier too as there were now more supervisors in training and some were up to actually running a courseroom. One was to be my assistant and I was working overtime to get him through his stuff. I finally did so and was now had someone else to help out – we already had a word-clearer who’d been trained up and was currently on a mission to another org but was due back in Sydney soon. The D of T took this opportunity to get off-post and went to Hong Kong to help open a scientology mission there. So I was left pretty much in charge of the place for a while.

    In September 86 I became ordained officially as a Minister of the Church at an Auditor’s Day event. I’d bought myself a minister’s shirt and collar and borrowed one of my Dad’s suits and bought my own silver scientology cross. I was the only one of six or so people being ordained who had their own - the rest were “borrowed” from the orgs’ Bookstores and has been marked on the back with felt pen which org had “loaned” them for the occasion. The event was held in Kings Cross - the historical red-light district of Sydney. I had to walk past street drunks and prostitutes to get to and from the event and was amazed at the courtesy shown to me when they realized I was a “Man of the Cloth.”

    I had a few days off that Christmas and went to a national park in central NSW called the Warrumbungles. It was the first time for a long time my family had all gotten together somewhere and it was huge fun – the oldest of my nieces and nephews were now in their teens and we all had a great time walking up the mountains in the mornings. There were heaps of kangaroos and emus everywhere and flocks of tiny green parrots on the flowering gum trees along the river we’d camped near. It all ended too soon for me and it was back to the org to be on post the day after Christmas.

    I was keeping records of all my income and expenditures at the time and dutifully noted down my weekly org pays at the time. They are: Jan 9 - $20.25, Jan16 - $8.30, Jan 23 - $ 21.99, Jan 30 - $18.86, Feb 6 - $32.55, Feb 13 - $ 35.17, Feb 20 - $10.66, Feb 27 - $42.81, Mar 6 - $14.56 and so on. When you consider that I could earn $150 a day on a roof, it shows just how little staff pay was.

    Now that I had money, I was able to buy auditing at the AO upstairs. I was taken to the registrar and worked over. I was convinced to go for a loan with a bank branch on the outskirts of Sydney that was doing a lot of deals for Scientologists and coached basically on lying on the loan application. The money came through and I had my Clear Certainty Rundown and attested to the State of Clear 18th Jan, 1987. I felt moderately good at this – I’d expected a bigger win than I got but was so happy to be now able to finally do my OT Levels that I didn’t bother saying anything about it. That I was still getting crippling headaches every so often was also a worry as Clears didn’t have psychosomatic illnesses. There was much I couldn’t look closely at.

    I was still being constantly nagged about the stats of the academy. One Saturday morning proved to be a record and it amused me more than angered me. I had the D of T, the OES and then the ED all attack me verbally about the state of the academy before 9am in the morning. By now, I couldn’t care less about what they thought or said, but now I was being threatened with no OT levels if I was downstat. As I was studying Saturday and Sunday nights on them as well as during the week, I just snuck out via the back stairs that night.

    But the scariest thing was that I began to monitor everything by statistics myself. If the stats went down after someone new came into the academy, I’d investigate them and usually got them sent to ethics. I also worried incredibly about my own actions and was continually introverted about every action I took, wondering what it would do to the precious statistics. Would asking this girl out crash my stats? Would getting rid of the course admin raise the stats? Would a new job help the stats? It was an endless treadmill I kept myself on. Stats were the God that I had to worship or else.

    As a staff member, I was eligible for free service at the AO if our org had sent them enough paying customers. I couldn’t get any of this and got quite upset when I saw other staff (some who’d only been on staff a year or two) getting access to this free service but I couldn’t. Basically it came down to I could pay for it and they couldn’t. Yet another example of the whole “money is God” philosophy that ran the orgs. Eventually I was given (begrudgingly I might add) one OT level for free but even that was opposed by some high-placed executives - both of whom I had constant battles with over their treatment of my area.

    I was in the reg office in the AO one day and was being treated like I wasn’t really there by the wife of the then Deputy Captain and one of the reges (whose husband was the word-clearer I think.) They were discussing ditching their husbands when they got a bit older and getting younger men - interesting discussion from two members of the “most ethical group on the planet.” As usual, I just held my silence and ignored them - I’d heard all sorts of craziness from Sea Org members before and learnt to ignore it. They had no “mystique” in my view any more. Funnily enough the girl whose hubbie was the word-clearer left not long after with the Ethics Officer – they’d obviously had something going on.

    I continued to fix roofs all this time during the day and run the courseroom at night so it was a huge juggling act to also fit in some auditing or study during the day. Something had to give and it was the roofing - I spent less and less time at it and earned less and less. I was just scrapping by financially and wouldn’t have survived at all if I’d not been living cheaply with my parents. I’d borrowed more money and wasn’t going to be able to really pay it off until I went back to working a lot more during the day - staff pay was (as usual) next to nothing.

    I got violently ill one night but wasn’t allowed to leave my post and wound up vomiting convulsively in the toilets on and off the whole night. I had to keep running the courseroom no matter what per my senior – “no case on post” was the exact Hubbard quote. I couldn’t stop vomiting all the way home in the car - having to stop, retch, then drive some more until the next wave came. It was considered something that sometimes happened doing OT levels.

    Finally came the day when I got onto the fabled OT III confidential material. I’d done all the drills in the non-confidential part after successfully getting through the first two OT levels OK. The course sup hung around the table where I was studying with a lunatic grin on his face - this was the holy of holies for every Scientologist. I opened the pack and began to read the copy of Hubbard’s notes in his own handwriting.

    I read it through and thought “OK, what else, is this it?” and the look on the course sup.s face told me it was IT. Several things were obviously wrong with it but I thought that I’d wait and see what happened when I started auditing it - after all, Hubbard was always correct in the past and he may well be right here and a whole bunch of ”wog” scientists be incorrect. I just didn’t know. I held my disbelief in suspension, put on a relatively happy face and continued with the pack of materials.

    I won’t go into the details of it all – it’s all been put onto the internet so many times that anyone can get hold of their own copies for free and see for themselves. For me personally, I had some major changes for the better from running this level. The idea of other beings possessing the same body as you has been around for a long time and getting into communication with these beings and assisting them to go off and live their own lives seemed very therapeutic for them and for me.

    Life went on regardless – I managed to get a metal sliver in my eye while working on a roof a few days into OT III. I kept doing it thinking it was just something that had “turned on” with the level. After three days the pain got too much and I went to the eye hospital where the doctor looked at me like I was an alien for not coming sooner. He had it out in ten minutes of fiddling and pouring lots of anaesthetic into my eye and I wore an eye-patch for the next few days and had fun acting like a pirate.

    I spent many afternoons in auditing rooms looking for, finding and then handling these other beings. Unlike I was instructed in my materials, I didn’t just order them around - I treated them with courtesy and good manners and found that most responded very well to this. They weren’t “degraded beings” as I was told but each had their own stories and loves and hates and I loved the communication I had with each. I felt a bit lost when it seemed that they’d all left and I could attest to completion of OT III as the 401st OT III completion from AOSH ANZO. But now I could go back to getting the money I needed to paying off the thousands of dollars debt I was now in. My staff contract was nearly up and I’d had a gutful of the hypocrisy displayed by my seniors and the Sea Org management - I couldn’t wait to just go earn money and get somewhere. I was still going to be a Scientologist but damned if I was going to continue being a poor one.

    A guy named Paul Schobel arrived back from the states. Paul had been an auditor for both Sydney Day and Foundation when I’d first joined staff and I’d had a few run-ins with him at first but soon learnt he had a wicked sense of humour and was a great guy to have around. He’d been in the SO then and had since gone “up lines” and had come back as the ANZO RTC rep. he had a job to bet a Senior Case Supervisor to Flag for training from each org in ANZO and the first few he’d tried from Syd F had turned him down flat. He succeeded with me and he convinced me I’d have my own office on the roof, be free of executive interference and generally be able to be a very effective part of expanding Scientology in Sydney while making enough money to live on. I bought it. Visions of having my own small greenhouse outside my office with my orchid collection in it, working as the top C/S for the org and doing nothing but helping people all day, no constant berating from seniors, being trained at the best org on the planet - a huge machine of hundreds of dedicated staff just turning out thousands of satisfied customers every year. Schobs agreed with every bit of this and then some. And he was so much more senior than anyone else in the country that it would all have to come off.

    Only problem was that my org wasn’t earning the money to be able to afford my airfare. No problem says Schobs - get the public to donate towards your airfare. So I did - went around and convinced all my students and friends on staff to put some money towards my plane ticket. Within a few days I had my airfare paid for by bypassing some now pissed off executives. I got my passport renewed, got my visa for the US and got some new clothes by going shopping with an ex who worked for a mens’ clothes store. Even went to Bondi Beach for a final surf.

    Wrote up my hat and turned it over to the other Course Sup in the Academy. Made sure that everything was going to be all right with him when I left. Had everything all ready to go and said goodbye to everyone I knew and waited.

    Six weeks after first agreeing to go to Flag for training the big day came. I caught a train to the org and got a $50 fine for not having a ticket (as I just got to the train station in time to get on the train but not get a ticket) and did some shopping for things like shoes and then I was taken to the airport and said farewell to my parents and got on a plane bound first for Hawaii and then LA. I boarded the plane with Shane Brockdorf from the AO - he was also going for Senior C/S training. It seemed like a big adventure had begun.


    Flying the Pacific from Australia to the US is a long haul. We landed in Hawaii and the Immigration officer there gave Shane quite a hard time before he was allowed into the US. We were there for an hour or two before flying on to LA. At LA we had to wait eight hours for a connection to Tampa so we went to the nearest mall where I bought the latest release of “Mission Earth” to read and we had a bit of a look around. Shane had been in the States before – he’d been on the RPF at Int I think and done the Running Program – running around a track all day every day for however long it took before you EPd it. I’d never been there so it was all new to me. He told me that he’d worn out five pairs of running shoes doing it. We went back to the airport and I read my book while Shane tried unsuccessfully to catch up on some sleep.

    By the time our plane came it was after 11 o’clock at night local time. We’d left Sydney in the morning and “lost” a day flying over the International dateline. My body clock was going haywire and I felt quite weird – I was so tired yet couldn’t sleep. We boarded out plane and I immediately noticed that all the crew were so much older than the ones who’d been on our earlier flight. I’d never had middle-aged airline hostesses before – they’d all been under thirties girls and boys. It was like being on a city bus for several hours that you couldn’t get off – not a pleasant experience after the long flight across the Pacific.

    We arrived at Tampa airport at 6:30 amand were taken to the Flag Service Org in one of the Flag mini-buses. First jet-lagged impressions were of an incredibly friendly place with helpful people doing their jobs and getting us settled in as quickly and efficiently as I’d ever seen in the Scientology world. This was Flag! We ha breakfast, did the rounds on a routing form and were quickly processed in and had our passports stored, details taken, money sorted, courses organized, sent to the courseroom to “start” and then sent off to get some sleep.

    We were taken out to “The Hacienda,” a sprawling two-story apartment complex that most of the crew and outer-org students lived in and given our rooms. All share accommodation with several to a room and two or three rooms full of people from all over the Scientology world, all come to Flag to study. I crawled into bed and slept as much as I could.

    I got out of bed the next day “late” and Shane and I headed off to the Fort Harrison in search of a late breakfast. It was an autumn day in Florida – lots of bright sunshine and a very flat landscape. Totally different trees and animals to what I was used to. I saw birds that I’d only ever seen pictures of and the Spanish Moss hanging from the Live Oak trees in downtown Clearwater was quite a sight to someone who’d only ever seen small imported plants of it n a few gardens “back home.” Blue Jays and Cardinals were quite a sight to my bird-watching eyes.

    We ate and were taken straight to the Intern Courseroom and started on E-Meter drills to check if we could drive one properly. I had no meter so we used Shane’s – a left-handed one. I quickly got into trouble for this and had to somehow “borrow” a right-handed meter so that I could continue. The standards being demanded were a lot higher than I’d been used to so I shut up and tried to do whatever I was being asked to do.

    We’d been given a TIP to train as Senior C/Ses and we were the first two to arrive who’d been given this particular TIP. It included the Primary Rundown – a mammoth undertaking that involved looking up word lists of ALL the words in Hubbard’s Student Hat course in a dictionary and “clearing” each word and then reading or listening to the materials. Shane didn’t want to do this as he’d done Key to Life back in the early ‘80s and he argued with the crew about it. Me, I just loved the idea.

    We were put on a variety of administrative courses to begin with and were twinning through our Intern Hats and then OEC Vol 0 and we began to get “visits’ from the “Tech Hierachy” of FSO. The various Senior C/Ses would come through every day and check on the courseroom and Shane was of particular interest as he was already a Class VI auditor and has been Top Auditor for the last few years at AOSH ANZO. Getting him into the HGC and auditing public for Flag was obviously a priority that a lot of people were working on. I didn’t understand this at first – we were there to get through our training and back to our orgs as quickly as possible right? No, we were there to be utilized by FSO as free labour while we did internships. The bulk of the auditing delivered in the HGCs was done by outer org interns, and someone like Shane, who’d regularly turned over 40 hours a week at the AO was a god-send.

    So, since I was his twin, I suddenly became a watched person to a degree most new arrivals don’t experience. A lot of the senior tech people knew me on a first name basis and I knew them all as “sir.” My checksheet was checked by several people every day and I was pushed to keep up with Shane or the unspoken “or else” would happen. Surprisingly, I found this all quite fun

    What wasn’t fun was having to wear a tie and collar every day. Plus shoes and long pants. The weather just screamed for short, T-shirts and thongs but no – we were professionals in training so we had to dress the part. Hair had to be neat and SHORT, always clean-shaven, girls HAD to wear make-up at all times. There were “lurkers” around like CMO who looked for such things and abused the FSO crew if they found anyone not fitting in with the fashion dictates.

    The schedule was a bit daunting – Saturday mornings were the only free time for washing clothes, cleaning rooms and shopping. Otherwise it was course from 9am to 10pm every day. There were buses from the Hacienda in the morning and at night and, if you missed the last one, you just had to “make it go right.” If you missed a meal, too bad. You had to get your own food from one of the expensive restraints at the Fort Harrison or from a shop somewhere in Clearwater.

    There were also extras that had to be done by all the trainees every week without fail. Cleaning up the courserooms to a “white-glove” (so clean you could wipe down all the surfaces with a white glove and nothing would dirty it) standard had to be done once every week on Monday nights after regular course hours. I got to be the I/C for these regularly. If you failed the first inspection, you kept cleaning until you passed. And then there were the letters to be written to staff at orgs telling them how good Flag training was and how they should get over to Flag right away to start. These had to be after course hours too. Students were the property of Flag until further notice, it seemed. I was even told stuff along these lines by various Flag staff whenever I questioned why we trainees had to do so much for free for the Flag Service Org yet our orgs still had to pay full price for our training.
  8. FoTi

    FoTi Crusader

    Thanks for posting, Scooter. Looking forward to more. :thumbsup:
  9. Doom

    Doom Lurking.


    Wow scoots Far out great revision and post, tough going:thumbsup:
    keep it coming, shedder showed a friend you why I appose Scientology post to read hope said friend comes to a crossroads:thumbsup:
  10. the-ghostwhowalks

    the-ghostwhowalks Patron with Honors

    Scoots - you take the prize man...

    If there is a candidate the the ability of "total recall ", it is you ! - thanks for your story - please post some more !
  11. Free to shine

    Free to shine Shiny & Free

    Thanks Scooter, you are filling in a lot of blanks for me.
  12. Div6

    Div6 Crusader

    This is eerie!

    We had (and still have to this day) a "petticoat mafia" in FCDC.
    Roofers. Yep. A number of staff moonlighted that way.

    Its like a parallel org universe.....there are so many similarities!
  13. Human Again

    Human Again Silver Meritorious Patron

    The shiny carrot and the big stick....
  14. Axiom142

    Axiom142 Gold Meritorious Patron

    Phew, that’s some story Scooter and we’ve only got up to the early ‘90s.

    I’d forgotten just how much the KTL and LOC courses were heralded as being the SOLUTION.

    I remember being told by one staff member that these would get everyone back into communication and thus be able to assimilate and apply everything they had studied. This, in turn would be the thing that really got Scientology ‘booming’ in the UK.

    Amusingly (or very sadly, depending on your mindset) I recall this same person telling me 15 years later that the release of the Congresses lecture series would do the same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if they said the same about the ‘Golden Age of Tech’ and the Basics. Apparently, they couldn’t see the discrepancies between what they were saying and what actually happened.

    You were incredibly dedicated Scooter, putting in a huge amount of work and sacrificing an unimaginable amount for the ideals that you believed in and yet you were treated abominably. I don’t know how you managed to stay in for so long, be subjected to so many lunacies and still remain sane.

    My theory is that for staff to remain in for any length of time, they have to shut down all their cognitive abilities, not think about what they are doing (or the consequences) and just go along with whatever orders appear from those wielding the biggest stick closest to them.

    I look forward to hearing the rest of your story.

  15. justaguy

    justaguy Patron Meritorious

    I have to say, you're a good storyteller. Better than LRH, even :)
  16. dontscamme

    dontscamme Patron Meritorious

    Scooter, just wanted to tell you I've been reading and enjoying your story. When you left the CoS, I'm sure that was a massive loss for them, but your talents and efforts are now being put to much better use, which is obviously an immense net gain for humanity.
  17. scooter

    scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

    Here's the next episode!

    I was doing an FES on a staff member one day and found to my horror that I had been labelled as “no case gain” when I was running the Academy back in ‘85/’86. This person and the other executives at the time obviously had this in their minds whenever they were “handling” me at the time, and in retrospect I could now see why I was always “handled” with such a lack of care and respect. It wasn’t a technically correct label either; I’d had so little auditing at that time that no C/S would ever put that label on me. Yet here it was. A lot of things said to me at that time now made sense. As well as the constant threats made at the time. If I had any respect for these “executives” prior to this point, it had now vanished. They’d treated me constantly as an enemy but expected me to work my hardest for them because I somehow “owed” it to them and to Scientology. I would never do these people favours again.

    Our Senior C/S had left staff after being there C/Sing all the time I’d been on staff and her ex-husband was now the Senior C/S. There was yet another program down from Int management that I had targets on, this time to do with “recovering” Tech-trained people back onto training and/or staff. I rang her up and had a long chat with her and she gave me all the dreadful things that had happened as far as splitting up with her husband, her life now etc. and I was stumped for an answer. I wanted to help her but just didn’t know how to. She obviously needed assistance but I didn’t know what to do, and my orders were to get her back into the org and back into the Scientology fold. I felt badly for her as she really had been hard done by but no-one seemed to be helping her. There was no pat scientology answer for this and I knew it as all the “solutions” had been tried and the situation hadn’t been fixed up and it wasn’t her fault either.

    There were more stupidities happening. The staff all got paid from the “Salary Sum” – an amount that was worked out each week as a percentage of the money left over after all the income for the week was totalled up and certain major things were paid for. Each staff member was worth so many units, based on job being done, number of years on staff, training level etc. and the salary sum was divided by the total number of units and that’s how much each pay unit was worth and the staff would be paid accordingly. The higher the unit, the more we each got paid.

    Now one of the HGC auditors was coming in during the day to audit for Foundation and I found out that he was being paid a decent sum per hour for this from the Salary Sum before the pay unit was being worked out, so everybody else’s pay was suffering. I wrote my reports but predictably nothing happened.

    There was also a friend trying to “route out” from Day org and she was having a really hard time of it. She’d been told she had to recruit herself a replacement staff member and that she couldn’t leave until that staff member had done some training ad was able to take over her job. Her contract had been over for months yet she was being bullied into staying and she was getting quite distraught. I advised her to just get onto the routing form for staff leaving after their contract had expired and do nothing but what it said there. There has never been any advice in writing anywhere that said staff couldn’t leave because they hadn’t recruited a replacement and I told her this.

    She did what I said and inevitably copped flack from her seniors but I convinced her to persist, as did her boyfriend. She even wrote to ED Int about it and finally got his reply back, which said she had total OK to just leave now that her contract had been up for a while. She came and thanked me profusely and left staff soon after, never to return.

    Another piece of nuttiness that appeared was Nightwatch. Due to “security problems” supposedly with some org somewhere else, all orgs would now have to have nightwatchmen constantly in the org buildings when the org was shut for the night. Of course these had to be male. Senior executives also were exempt and so too were married men with children. That left a few of us to do this for EVERY night of the year.

    The only concession was that we’d then be allowed a night off following doing our shift. I queried this, as a five-hour night free didn’t compensate for having to be in the org from 11pm to 8 am the next morning. I took two nights off but got hammered for it so decided to just stick to one.

    There was a whole checklist of things that we were supposed to do but it soon got forgotten and nightwatch became a night when you watched heaps of videos at the reception desk and maybe snuck in a few hours sleep on the floor behind the desk after the last of the CLO crew went home (usually by 3am but sometimes later.) I drew Saturday nights about once a month and had to work all Saturday then stay up all night and crawl home Sunday morning to get some sleep and then I was allowed Monday nights (begrudgingly) to myself, although there were a few attempts to get me in for “important” staff briefings. I soon learnt to refuse to answer the phone on Mondays. But I did get to see a lot of movies I’d otherwise never have seen, living the sheltered life of a full-time staff member that I was who never went anywhere much outside of work.

    I’d almost completely moved in to the C/S office by this time and had my clothes stored there as well as all my paperwork for my jobs. The C/S I’d sent for a retread was now put on full-time training and both the Senior C/S and myself protested this to no avail. The exec who’d convinced me to “temporarily” take over the C/Sing while the C/S was “just” gotten through a “short retread” was now trying to justify having lied to us. We even had a CLO exec come down later and asked us what had we done to make sure this situation never happened again – it was all our fault for having allowed the C/S to be like he was and needing correction. The Senior C/S’s reply was one that I’ll never forget – he said that we’d crammed each other on Science of Survival (this is the book where Hubbard lays out his Tone Scale and divides people up into emotional levels and these supposedly tell you who you can trust and who you can’t – the joke being that we’d obviously trusted someone low on the Tone Scale who couldn’t be trusted and we’d never do that again.) I cracked up laughing and the CLO person looked a little perplexed but took it as an answer anyway – she did get the joke but couldn’t be seen to be agreeing with our analysis of a senior executive, however accurate it may have been.

    This same senior exec who'd lied to the Senior C/S and myself shortly after this became head of the “Pizza Police.” Now the Pizza Police came into being like this:

    Every Friday night each org’s academy is supposed to hold a graduation where all those who completed their courses in the week just passed get announced and congratulated and they maybe get up and say a few words on how good the course was, what sort of wonderful things they learnt, etc..

    This had now become a time for a mini-event where everybody who completed anything was expected to give a small speech and also other things were done to make it something that lasted a lot longer than the ten minutes maximum it used to take me to do one when I ran the academy. Now people who weren’t doing any services in the org were invited in and refreshments were offered as an enticement – in this case the org bought in pizza and Coke etc.. This meant that the teenage kids of the org’s executives would always come in Friday night, suffer through the graduation with its announcements, maybe a short video and so on in order to meet up with each other and stuff themselves for free. The org got stats for this – anyone who came in for graduation (even a fourteen-year-old with no interest in their parent’s weird religion) was reported as a scientologist taking some sort of service for the week. And getting your stats up was the most important thing any staff member could do, ever.

    It also meant that the staff who weren’t actively helping out with the “event” would tuck into the pizza before the graduation finished and grab themselves a slice or two to eat at their desks while wrapping up for the night. After all, when you work hard all week for maybe thirty dollars and the org then spends a few months of your wage on pizza for freeloaders, you want some too. Because you did work for it. And this meant that sometimes there were students who attended graduation who didn’t get any pizza. So, the solution was obvious: stop the staff from getting to the pizza first. Hence, the Pizza Police.

    Their job was to guard the pizza from the moment it arrived in the building until graduation had finished and the hordes had descended upon it. Once that happened, staff were then allowed to mop up any remains.

    Now the two of us in the C/S office enjoyed having a piece or two of pizza as we stayed back doing our folders while everyone else stopped work to eat. So we use to grab a plateful of pizza and head back to the office. Until the Pizza Police that is.

    So one night the Senior C/S casually asks me if I’d like a few slices of pizza. I of course said yes. Out of the office and to the treasured pizza he goes. It’s unattended at that time so he grabbed maybe five slices and bolted back to the office. He ran in with a grin like a naughty schoolboy almost busted for lighting a fart and told me to lock the doors. I did. I got given some pizza with a whispered admonition to eat it quickly.

    Then came banging on the door with loud yelling from the head of the Pizza Police calling his name and telling him to open up the door and give back the pizza because it’s not OK to “steal” it – it’s for the org public, not staff. He sat there looking at me with a grin on his face as he stuffed pizza in his mouth. All the while, our senior exec is getting more and more frantic and she has sent someone off to get a key to the office. But she’s still yelling and banging on the door. I’m laughing so hard it’s hard to eat, but I get it down anyway.

    Eventually the pizza thief finished and then, with an innocent look on his face, opens the door to a red-faced would-be pizza protector who then proceeds to berate him loudly about his actions. Which of course was in itself so ridiculous I couldn’t stop laughing and he only just managed to keep a straight face. Our guardian of the junk food went away after a few minutes looking and almost certainly feeling like she’d gotten absolutely nothing good from the encounter.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  18. Dulloldfart

    Dulloldfart Squirrel Extraordinaire

    I love the Pizza Police story, Scoots, like only an ex with similar tales could.

  19. justaguy

    justaguy Patron Meritorious

    Pizza Police!

    I'm glad you were laughing at the time, because that makes me :roflmao:

  20. scooter

    scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

    There’d been a program come down on religious image and I happily went along with it – I sincerely believed that Scientology was a bona-fide religion and that the org should act more like a church than a business. Part of this program was to have ordained ministers actually wear their dog collars and crosses on post so I did on a few occasions. It got an “interesting” response – the majority of the staff were seemingly anti-religion and had no interest in even pretending that there was any value in traditional religions. Having studied the major religions of the world in the Ministers course had left me with a great deal of respect for them. But I found that impossible to get across to scientology “church” executives who smoked lots, swilled large amounts of coffee and swore worse than any other group of people I’d ever worked with.

    I found one of my fellow staff looking very glum on post and chatted to her about it. She was one of the few people we had who actually cared lots for the people she handled and she was on a reg post and usually quite successful. She was also a buxom blonde – which immediately meant the petticoat mafia didn’t like her. I managed to get her some help but I was amazed that she’d been so neglected as a staff member when she was bringing in the dollars and the people for the org. I couldn’t understand the mentality of people in the world’s most caring organization who basically didn’t care about the people they actually depended on. My only solution was to try to get them all into session as I was sure that enough scientology applied to anyone would make them a better and more compassionate person.

    Now that I was being a C/S for most of the time, I was in an ideal place to do just that. It was actually a life-changing job for me. I was constantly reminded of the basic goodness of individuals every time I opened their folders and I did my best to help them. Apprenticing under the Senior C/S was a huge help – he had a dry sense of humour and a dedication to helping his fellow being and he instilled that in me successfully. My zealotry for scientology was tempered with a new-found compassion for everyone as I now could really see that nobody was totally evil but all actually try to help, even if the results were chaos. Insane decisions from seniors were now something to laugh about as they actually were the ones suffering more than I was. At least I enjoyed what I was doing and it seemed that the people around me genuinely enjoyed having me with them.

    I was put in charge of a Board of Investigation into some major post changes that had occurred in a totally off-policy manner a while back but now needed to be given a cloak of respectability. I spent a lot of time getting the info on the people and then put together what I thought would be a very sane way of making it all work and submitted it to the senior execs only to see it all amended to what they wanted anyway. I couldn’t understand then why they’d even bothered with the whole thing if they were just going to ignore it anyway. But then I realized that the whole thing had been a charade to give their actions some respectability that it didn’t deserve. I was livid.

    I’d tried for many years to give up smoking as I hated doing it for what it did to my health but I loved the stress relief it gave me. I wanted to get physically fit again so I decided I’d ride my bicycle to work and back every day. I was going to gradually cut down my smoking while doing this but found that after a week I just couldn’t stand smoking at all. I organized myself so that I had time for a shower and a shave in the org before work and I had an iron handy to iron my clothes as needed.

    The ride took me around an hour to do at first as it was about 13 kilometres from home to the org but I soon got faster and fitter. And felt a whole lot better too. Pedalling home on a moonlit night at midnight watching a pelican on a bay scooping up fish was a magical experience. I often stopped to watch stuff like that as I planned my route to go through some parklands and around some parts of the harbour.

    My five year contract was nearly up and I was planning on leaving soon and doing I didn’t know what. Several people from the org had tried to “handle” me to stay but had had predictably no success, as they were in a large part the reason I no longer wanted to be there. I loved what I was doing and the org was now beginning to pay reasonable well - one or two hundred dollars a week was what I was now getting and that was a lot more than it had been and it kept going up. Maybe my dream of actually being able to exist solely from scientology pay was going to come true soon.

    Several CLO executives began to work me over to get me to stay. I eventually agreed to re-sign for two and a half years but on the condition that they helped me fix up what I saw was wrong with the org. Once I signed the contract, they avoided me at all costs. I was gutted. Even my “friends” in CLO were after stats only.

    The org now was getting in up to eighty thousand dollars a week, almost exclusively from Taiwan. There were a lot of Taiwanese people coming to Sydney now to do scientology stuff and they had no problems getting money together it seemed. We had several staff based over there who did nothing but sell org services to Taiwanese. But they weren’t getting their services delivered to them quickly when they arrived as the org had few auditors and many of the Taiwanese had limited English. So the org was delivering at best a third of the value of what it was getting in as income – financial disaster in the making.

    But it meant that my pay was now getting to be enough to live on as I was getting around three to four hundred every week with minimal transport costs and living at home with aged parents who got me to mow lawns and stuff for them in exchange for cheap rent and food. So I quit the milk run and slept in for a few days – it was heaven. Then I got to work auditing and studying.

    We had an unstable new staff member who’d been put on a senior exec post but ended up leaving and refusing to come back. She was a single mum with three kids and it had all gotten too much I presume. She became Public Enemy Number One to the petticoat mafia and the head of the pizza police was madly trying to get this girl declared a Suppressive Person because she refused to return. She came into the office one night and asked me to write up any ethics reports I could think of on this girl. I was amazed at the vindictiveness being displayed and politely told her I had nothing that I could write up as I’d seen this girl do nothing wrong. I later saw her looking through this girl’s pc folder, presumably for ammunition. Thankfully the declare never happened.

    This same person decided she’d had enough of me getting out of going to events and so she hounded me for a week beforehand until I finally begrudgingly agreed I’d go and do whatever bullshit job I’d been given. I went and did nothing much while I was there and snuck back to the org as soon as I possibly could to do my nightwatch shift, only to find that someone else had been sent to do it for me for a few hours so that I could stay at the event. The vindictiveness was amazing to observe.

    All e-meters now had to be sent to Gold in LA to be “silver-certed” every two years or they weren’t allowed to be used. Previously we’d had staff in the org who’d done this in a room out the back of the org that was now the C/S office. It had been cheap to get this done, now it was expensive to both fly the meter there and get it inspected and repaired if it needed it. As I was using my personal meter for my job all the time and I was also using it to audit staff in my own time I figured the org could afford to pay for this for me. After all, they were allowing other staff to use org meters and paying to get them silver-certed. Since I was using my own and saving them the cost of having to get me one, surely it was fair?

    Nope. I put in my request week after week only to see it constantly knocked back for whatever reason. I even had the transport of it to and from LA covered but still no go. I tried every on-policy solution I could but kept being told some bullshit reason why there was no money for my meter. I even sent requests up to CLO putting my case but it was useless. I kept being told that it wasn’t an org meter and unless I gave it over to the org for them to use as they saw fit they wouldn’t cover the costs for me. I wondered why the hell I’d signed up for another two and a half years of insanity when I knew what I was in for. But I was determined to keep my word even if others didn’t.

    Next episode - "The Golden Age of Tech" event at Flag and beyond!

    Can you contain your excitement?

    Coming soon - I've started on it.