ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Featured scooterstory

Discussion in 'Stories From Inside Scientology' started by scooter, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Opter

Opter Silver Meritorious Patron

I know of a person who loaned his e meter to the org, to be used by a staff auditor who couldn't afford to buy one. When the person asked for his e meter back, he was asked to pay for all the silver certing of the e meter that was paid by the org, while they used the e meter. That's what they call fair exchange.:no:

I can hardly contain my excitement to read the next episode.:wink2:

Opter

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. EP - Ethics Particle

EP - Ethics Particle Gold Meritorious Patron

My breath is...

...bated...or is it baited...or byted..or...:confused2: :coolwink:

Anyway - POUND THOSE KEYS!:p

EP

3. Nightingale

Nightingale Patron with Honors

Great Story

Thanks so much for writing this and for all the detailed information! Thanks also for the information about Australia and its fascinating flora and fauna. (My husband has always wanted to scuba, there, but that's a different thread.)

At this point in your story, how many years have you been in CofS?

4. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

I began in 1979 and at this point it's 1996. 17 years.

5. FoTi

FoTi Crusader

Thanks so much for your stories, Scooter. I'm really enjoying reading them. :thumbsup:

Some of the insanity that goes on inside the orgs is truly amazing. It's like it's it's own brand of 'funny farm'. It's not so funny, though, when it effects a person's life in a negative way.

I look forward to your next episode.

6. scooter

"Golden Age of Tech" release

Golden Age of Tech

I had to see the Org exec.s. It was like this – they needed someone to go to Flag for the Big Event coming up as the Senior C/S wouldn’t go. He was off-contract soon and didn’t want to sign another one. I was told to either handle him on his contract or I’d have to go in his place. I tried the former without success so I was coerced into settling for the latter. And I was going for the Day org as well as their Senior C/S also couldn’t go for some reason. Great. I had nothing better planned and it should only be for a week so I tried to make the best of it.

Several of our staff had been sent over to Flag months before for a new training line-up and one had sent me a copy of some new auditor drills that were being tried out in the flag courseroom – all confidential of course but my mate snuck a copy into his letter for me. It looked interesting.

So I prepared myself to fly out and managed to miss my flight at Sydney due to buying duty-free stuff for my brother in the city. But I caught the next flight out with a CLO exec who’d also missed for some reason and she managed to catch the correct flight at LA. I ended up going via Texas and Miami before catching a flight to Tampa with one of the Primary Rundown guys from ’88 – he’d been originally from DC org but had fallen in love with a girl from New Haven(?) so married her and gone there to live. He was on staff there and very happy – I was pleased for him. He was convinced that it had been meant to happen – who was I to disagree. We’d exchanged some letters after we left flag and he’d even sent me photos of his wedding before our correspondence dropped to zero so it was great to catch up with him again.

The food was a lot better. Apparently it was now all organic food being served on the base and I felt the difference – I had a lot more energy compared to when I was there before. Even after being there a few days was noticeable. And we were to be berthed in the new building acquisitions north of Flag base and on the water. These were to be student accommodation in the future but for now it was just all the Senior C/Ses in them, maybe two to a room. I was sure they’d be crowed once the students were moved in.

I got up early the first morning as I had a camera and I took shots of the birdlife in the canal next to the ex-hotel we were in. It was a far cry from the surburban desolation around the old student berthing when I’d last been here. Then it was off to the Fort Harrison again for the “briefing” we’d all been promised.

I met up with a lot of friends from various parts of the planet and had quick chats with some of them. Then we were herded up to the Crystal Ballroom in the Fort Harrison building. We were to be briefed by David Miscavige, the Chairman of the Board RTC – the top man in Scientology. It was all a bit mysterious but apparently this was the “big” one – this was the thing that would make Scientology a worldwide phenomena. I suppressed my cynicism for the “magic bullet” at least until I’d seen what this was about.

The COB came out with several other familiar faces – Ray Mithoff, the Senior C/S International, Norman Starkey, the man who was executor of LRH’s will and oversaw his fiction publications and there were a few others. They all watched as Miscavige briefed us and I could see they were looking for anything on our faces that would mean a trip to ethics. I began to get a bit nervous.

Miscavige proceeded to tell us how he’d found that the tech was badly out here at Flag and how he’d traced it down and fixed it up all by himself. And how he’d dealt with those responsible in very harsh terms. He was trying to impress us with his brilliance and it was just a bit over the top for me. I was impressed by what he’d done but he was bragging. I kept a suitably impressed face on and kept watching the lurkers like Starkey out of the corner of my eye. Miscavige continued with his tale, telling us we were getting the version that wasn’t for public consumption – he would give that at the event.

He then proceeded to tell us that we’d all failed as Senior C/Ses as any one of us could’ve done what he’d done. That statement amazed me – after all, it was his job to oversee the standardness of the tech as he was head of RTC. So the Tech had been crap all this time – that should have been his head, not ours. He told us (in a very threatening voice) that he knew just how bad it was in every org on the planet – he KNEW how bad our Tech was and how non-standard we’d allowed it to be and we were all going to write up our O/Ws then and there and he and his “help” would be checking on them to make sure we were doing it right and that we’d better get totally clean or else. He then left and we didn’t see him again until he appeared on stage at the event.

And so we sat there writing up our crimes against Scientology. Every now and then Mithoff or Starkey or someone else would come in and pick up someone’s O/Ws and read them. It was harrowing. Mithoff was trying to put us at ease and usually had a quick chat to whoever’s write-up he was looking over. Starkey was just plain threatening. Sullen, intimidating, not a nice man at all.

After hours of this, Mithoff got up the front and said something along the lines of well he thought he’d seen just about every way to alter tech but some of us had come up with even more inventive ways and he laughed. So did we. It was a nice tension release. The room began to relax.

He told us we’d continue with the program COB had laid out in his briefing to us earlier and that he (Ray) and his junior Dan would be running us on it. And so we got to work.

We had to read a whole bunch of new issues, most written by Miscavige but some were apparently written but Ron but had been altered by persons unnamed who were now burning in the pits of Hell as Miscavige had previously told us. There were a lot of things that apparently had been done wrong over the years – I began to wonder if any of my past training was worth it.

Then we were all sent to se the “new” Tech films with the correct e-meter reads on them. Along with students from each org assigned specifically to “help” us get this straight. Then we had to drill the e-meter drills with the same students the “correct’ way – it was almost impossible. It wasn’t the same at all – this seemed unnatural. I won’t bore you with the details but I found it almost impossible and I could see several other of the C/Ses felt the same way. But I shut up and just got on with it as otherwise I could be sent to ethics and that meant being here for months – it had happened to others I knew who’d gone to flag for a senior c/s conference and stayed for two years training after being hauled over the coals in ethics. I just wanted to get out in one piece and catch that plane home after the event.

Miscavige had bragged about the quality of students “he’d” trained up here at Flag recently. He’d used all his new breakthroughs to train up Course Sups and Word-Clearers who he was going to send out to every org in the world after this event – he called them “my army.” He told us that these were the best ever supervisors ever trained and far superior to any supervisors ever seen in Scientology before. Now that I had several supervising me I wasn’t sure – some were atrocious. One in particular was a rude obnoxious young man who I’d never have allowed anywhere near anybody as he had no idea he was there to help – he did nothing but criticise. Some of these were probably going to be good sups but they weren’t there yet. To say they were all better than me or any other experienced sup was a plain lie. But I just wanted to go home, remember? So I nodded and did all that was asked of me and hoped that I could keep a low profile – already Id heard some of the Senior C/Ses were staying on after the event. I didn’t want to join them.

We got to do some of the new drills – they were different and I could see how they would be useful to training. I had no problem then with them as all I’d been told about them was how well people who’d doe them could audit. The theory at least made some sense and Miscavige had quoted lots of LRH at us in his briefing to us to make it seem like they were what Ron would’ve wanted.

Then we got to tour Flag to see the wonders this new “Golden Age of Tech” had brought. Flag was different too. There were a lot of staff I knew who looked just plain worn-out. The smiles were of recognition only, no-one I spoke to was having a good time of it but they’d never admit that. It was obviously a lot harder for the Flag staff now, but I didn’t know why. I would’ve thought that all these breakthroughs would have had them beaming and laughing but it certainly didn’t seem like it. They looked beaten up.

There was an internationally bragged-about story from Sydney that had been “enhanced” – let’s just say that the official story was “careless with the truth. A space above a theatre awning had been rented by a few scientologists in Sydney and a volcano put there with a big video screen. We’d all had the night off post to go down and stand around outside for the official opening. It was a Thursday night in March, a few days before the annual Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras March in Sydney. And it was bucketing down raining – quite usual for Sydney at that time of the year. There were a few Scientology critics turned up to protest with a few OSA people following them around constantly talking/chanting at them. We were all directed to stand on the opposite side of the road to the awning while all the dignitaries went into the theatre for the official
    launch.

There were supposed to be fireworks set off on the awning but they got cancelled due to the weather. I thought the whole thing should’ve been cancelled as this was monsoonal rain, not just a few light showers. But the show went on. Nancy Cartwright, voice of Bart Simpson, was doing the big intro speil and her voice was coming out of the speakers perched on top of the awning as she counted down to the big opening. She finished her countdown and nothing seemed to happen – obviously this was when the fireworks were to go off and other things were supposed to happen, After maybe fifteen seconds the big screen came on and an ad for Dianetics started to roll. It got a soggy half-hearted cheer from some of us. Then we trooped back to the org and back to post. I for one was embarrassed by it all. Funnily enough, the Gay and Lesbian March went ahead on Saturday night as scheduled as the weather cleared up then, then rained again the next few days.

As this theatre was on George Street, main street of Sydney, it saw a lot of passing traffic. Within what seemed like a few months the vid screen was blank and it didn’t seem too long before the whole thing began to be an eyesore, obviously shabby and neglected. It was embarrassing to walk past it – it made me cringe to see what might have been a great idea left to rot like that.

Now one of the main sponsors of the volcano was an ex-student of mine now living in Clearwater. He’d donated several tens if not hundreds of thousands towards this. He’d been working as an engineer in the oil industry for years and always had heaps of money – a reges dream come true. He saw me one day while I was having a mealbreak and asked me how well was the volcano going, as he’d been told several hundred people had walked into the org since it had started. I didn’t have the heart to tell him anything about what I’d seen and I was surprised about the influx of people as I’d never seen this. I quietly cringed and told him I was stuck in the org either C/Sing or auditing and really didn’t know what was going on in the rest of the org – sorry.

I began to hear other wildly exaggerated tales about how wonderful was the volcano and how it was just pouring people into the org. It was so blatantly false as to be laughable. I dispelled these as much as I could and there was always disappointment from the person I’d “corrected” – sometimes even a “you shouldn’t have told me that because it’s bad news” look directed at me.

Finally came the night of the event and we were all trooped in to sit behind the public who’d paid lots to the IAS and before the public who hadn’t. The celebrities and top SO executives sat at the very front and the OOTs sat at the back along with the latecomers who hadn’t donated much at all. It was electrifying being there as the audience were ecstatic about this new “magic bullet.” Miscavige looked very pleased with himself and I was surprised to see him after the event looking bleak. He was on the balcony of the building watching all the students have a “party” below him. All these people were about to fly home and were saying goodbyes and having a great time. Miscavige was surrounded by about twenty teenage RTC staff (most taller than him) as he leaned on the railing. I would’ve though he’d be happy as he’d just announced the reason why Scientology had not been doing well and he was now correcting it in a big way. I ignored it and just joined in the party. Which meant I missed the final briefing to the C/Ses and had to later race upstairs to get all my materials I was supposed to take back with me – a huge amount of programs that HAD to be done to ensure this “Golden Age of Tech” would happen as planned. Then back to the berthings for a sleep then to tampa airport and home! I’d made it out the other end alive. I didn’t know how I was going to do all these programs – no, I wasn’t. I was going to hand them over to the Senior C/s as soon as I could once I was back. But I didn’t say that while still at Flag – that would mean immediate investigation as I would be being “irresponsible.” I said goodbye to my friends from other places and went “home” to pack.

7. Opter

Another great post.

I remember when the date of the GAT event was announced and we were told that it will truly change the fate of Scientology for the better. It will fill up the academies and will flood the orgs with people.:duh: :duh:

Opter

8. Adrian Pybus

Adrian Pybus Patron

Yes, this brings back the memories all right. The insanity of it all. Good story telling!

9. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Great stuff, Scooter. :)

10. Human Again

Human Again Silver Meritorious Patron

:melodramatic: Scooter, your telling brings it all back. The hypocricy, the inability to face truth and the fake optimism that flavoured so much of the Scn experience. I am very grateful that you have kept writing your story.

N

I am especially glad to hear from C/Ses that they could see all the BS, even if they were as powerless as the rest of us in the end, it is good to know.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  11. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

Thanks for writing this Scooter ... anyone who was ever on staff knows that every word is true.

:thankyou:

12. scooter

Thanks for the good reviews, folks.

Just found another diary that I kept as separate from my post diary (yes I was organized wasn't I) and it had the following gems that needed to go into the latest episode:

The first night there I got to bed around 2:30 am in the morning - that's after spending over thirty hours in transit to get to Flag.:ohmy:

Now guess why I (and all the other Senior C/Ses) had to be on deck early the next day?:ohmy:

We HAD to have haircuts before COB saw us - we had to be presentable to him and his standards. That just never ceased to amaze me. Being lined up while some teenage or barely twenties SO execs decide if we are up to standard in our dress and grooming - we were THE top C/Ses on the planet and we were treated like that by comparatively snotty-nosed kids. Yes I'm still pissed about it - I dunno how I forgot that particular incident as it showed me more than anything else just how insane life was at the top of scientology and I didn't want to go anywhere near it. But I still saw a great value in the Tech at the time so I just suppressed my "critical thoughts" and kept a low profile.:duh:

We then spent five days (three before the event, two after) doing simulator and e-meter drills, studying the "new" issues and all the programs etc. and even had a berthing inspection from the Int powers-that-be the day we were flying out. And I was lounging in the sun outside the room I was in with the Senior Qual Sec ANZO chatting and joking around in very "unprofessional" but totally suitable to Florida weather clothes. Somehow we got away with it by hiding I think.:whistling:

After the event was just the usual feeding frenzy for the reg staff. The big student party happened two days later when there was a special graduation for them held in the FH and then they all got to "party" on the lawns near the swimming pool. It was a week spent in another dimension now that I look back at it - I look at all the outpoints I saw then and just kept quiet about as I accepted them as "they'll all get handled when we handle the planet.":omg:

Who needs intelligence, freedom and compassion when you have faith?:no:

Will get you the next installment as soon as I refresh my memory and get some computer time again.:thumbsup:

13. justaguy

justaguy Patron Meritorious

Wowza. I think we all know the answer to that one.

I just have to keep telling myself that this story has a happy ending somewhere around 2008. What a read.

14. Adrian Pybus

Adrian Pybus Patron

14:00

This is like finding a good book only to discover it is a trilogy.
    Where is the next installment, its almost 14:00 :)

15. Adrian Pybus

Adrian Pybus Patron

This story is especially interesting as I know next to nothing what happened in Scientology after I left 1988.
    I did meet a staffer outside an org who explained that study tech had been totally revamped. I don't have the details but it sounded like Squirrel tech to me. (I did the PRD in 1975).

16. Opter

Spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Opter

17. Happy Days

Happy Days Silver Meritorious Patron

Dissem Sec & EO Blew Together 1988

18. justaguy

justaguy Patron Meritorious

it's been fascinating seeing this story, and hearing from the various points of view that make it up, and where it intersects with the stories of all the other aussies on the board.

just sayin'.

@Happy Days: I want to say something pertinent and stuff but ... um.. I got nothing to say so here's a smiley face :)

19. Happy Days

Happy Days Silver Meritorious Patron

Thanks for the smiley... I still shake my head even now when I reflect on some of the things I've said and done...

20. scooter