ESMB has entered archive mode. All posts and threads that were available to the general public are still readable. The board is still searchable. 

Thank you all for your participation and readership over the last 12 years.

If you want to join in the conversation, please join the new ESMB Redux at www.exscn2.net.

Second Chance gets bad press in Hawai`i

Discussion in 'Narconon, Drug Free World, and Other Anti-drug Fro' started by WilliamBuddusky, Mar 25, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. WilliamBuddusky

WilliamBuddusky New Member

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Telepathetic

Telepathetic Gold Meritorious Patron

Thanks for the report William.:thumbsup:

Seems like they're getting hit from everwhere.:omg:

Oh, and welcome to the Board:D

TP

3. Wisened One

Wisened One Crusader

4. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Thanks for posting that! I would hate to see Hawaii get scammed like we did in NM.

I have a feeling the IRS will be all over Second Chance anyway.

5. WilliamBuddusky

Thanks, very much for the "Welcomes".

Unbelievably, HB358 has proceeded to the senate and is already on it's second reading. Practically no one has spoken against it. An alert but anonymous person brought it to my attention.

I'm now actively engaged in an effort to inform the public and the senate of the ties to Narconon and Scientology. The goal is to see the bill defeated or at least amended to exclude scams like the Narconon/Second Chance from being certified to take any part in administering the program.

The last thing anybody with a substance abuse problem needs is to be forced into the clutches of a mind control cult under the color of authority.

I'll post updates here as they develop. Wish me luck!

6. quietheart

quietheart Patron Meritorious

Good luck William and welcome to the board :hug:

7. WilliamBuddusky

The status of the bill has changed. Look for more news on the sixth. Here's the update I posted on WWP.
    The progress of this bill appears to be in serious question. Five minutes ago the state website posted this announcement on HB 358:
    "The committee(s) on JGO will hold a public decision making on 04-06-09 10:00 AM in conference room 016."

This is very unusual and may signal the end of Narconon's "Second Chance" in one of the most beautiful places left on our planet. Normally, bills pass from House to Senate, committee to committee and end up getting passed or the committees hold them until the session expires, thus ending the life of the bill. Often there is an announcement of a public hearing.

The JGO (Committee on Judiciary and Government Operations) is doing something different. This is an announcement of a "Public Decision Making".

Measure History

Harpoon Direct Hit? It looks good from here. My hopes are high for the people of Hawai`i Nei.

Ua Mau Ke Ea O Ka Aina I Ka Pono

8. scooter

scooter Gold Meritorious Patron

:welcome: and good luck:thumbsup:

Hope you can keep the cult out of the islands :D

9. byte301

byte301 Crusader

I am hoping for the best on this.

What drives me crazy is that these people don't use the internet to check this stuff out immediatly. It would save a lot of time and effort if they'd just do their damn homework.

The good news is we have people like you keeping an eye on this bullshit. Too bad that regular citizens have to do all the work for these clueless, lazy officials.

Thanks for keeping us informed, William!

10. WilliamBuddusky

The fight is still on

This battle is not yet won. The "decision making" meeting takes place on Monday, April 6th. Comments submitted in the methods outlined below will be entered into the public record. Interestingly, no oral arguments will be heard. Instead, comments and testimony are being accepted from everywhere.

If you take the time to write make sure to reference HB 358 and Representative Rida Cabanilla's stated goal of modelling the program after the failed "Second Chance"/Narconon program in New Mexico.

From the state Website:
    Decision Making Only, No Oral Testimony Will Be Accepted.
    Persons wishing to comment should submit their comments in one of the following ways:

By Email: Comments may be emailed if less than 5 pages in length, to the Committee at JGOTestimony@Capitol.hawaii.gov . Please indicate the measure, date and time of the hearing. Email sent to individual offices or any other Senate office will not be accepted.

By Web: Comments may be submitted online if less than 4MB in size, at http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/emailtestimony

In person: 1 copy of their Comments to the committee clerk, Room 219, State Capitol.

Please note: All comments received by the Hawaii Senate will be posted on the Hawaii Legislature's Website.

11. byte301

byte301 Crusader

Thanks for the info. :yes:

12. WilliamBuddusky

Second Chance is sinking...

UPDATE. The amended bill has been posted along with the JGO committee report.
    It states in part,
    "Your Committee notes the testimony expressing reservations whether a secure drug treatment facility will use the proper drug treatment modalities that are approved by the Department of Health and that separates out inmates in the program from the general prison population where a drug abuse environment still may exist. Testimony referenced a model based on the nationally recognized program, "Second Chance", in New Mexico. That program drew much criticism for its lack of effectiveness.
    Your Committee has amended this measure by changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to continue discussions on this issue.

:happydance:

Nice going everyone. Direct hit, heavy damage to "Second Chance" in Hawai`i. It's still too early to bid "aloha" though it's easy to think they will require that facilities meet the Dept. of Health standards already defined by law (Which Narconon fails to meet). Great work by Mary for suggesting it to them.

13. WilliamBuddusky

Narconon/Second Chance Sunk In Hawai'i Nei

Attention on deck.
    Harpoons have taken their toll. HB358 has gone beneath the waves.
    Well done, to all who participated in this effort to educate the legislators and Governor Lingle of Hawai'i.
    Carry on.

Measure History

"6/30/2009 S Notice of Intent to veto dated 06-30-09 (Gov. Msg. No. 781) "
    Translation: GTFO
    "6/30/2009 H Notice of intent to veto (Gov. Msg. No. 465) "
    Translation: SIIYE

14. Panda Termint

Panda Termint Cabal Of One

Nicely done, William! :)

15. I told you I was trouble

I told you I was trouble Suspended animation

:omg: